So its the Solstice GXP

Not sure I was chatting with a guy at a GM dealership (guy in parts, not a sales guy) and he told me that they got a press release for the Solstice GXP 3 weeks ago. He said it would have the 2.0L Ecotec Turbo producing 250hp as a powerplant. Marketing would begin in June 06 with a late 06 release.

Late 06 release? Ugh. Why can't GM have it out in roadster buying season? I don't know if it will still have enough sizzle by then to still sell on looks alone when it's winter.

[post="46338"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

And we wonder why GM is in the bind it is in,
Geesh!

He said it would have the 2.0L Ecotec Turbo producing 250hp as a powerplant.  Marketing would begin in June 06 with a late 06 release.

[post="46305"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

He's right.

Well, I think they want to focus more in the warmer states where they don't do too well but it sucks ass for us people in the North and in Canada. GM needs to make this a priority for Pontiac. I don't see any other interesting products (sans the G6 hardtop which should've come out with the coupe) coming out for the brand this coming year unless GM has a surprise up it's sleeves. But I doubt it.

Well, I think they want to focus more in the warmer states where they don't do too well but it sucks ass for us people in the North and in Canada.  GM needs to make this a priority for Pontiac.  I don't see any other interesting products (sans the G6 hardtop which should've come out with the coupe) coming out for the brand this coming year unless GM has a surprise up it's sleeves.  But I doubt it.

[post="46388"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Vibe.

Josh: When C&G had the first spy shots of the turbocharged Ecotec engine awhile ago on the old forums, you mentioned that the GXP would have both auto and manual transmissions. Do you know if they are the same trannies as in the base model or is one or both of them upgraded over the 5-speeds? Maybe the GXP will have 6-speed auto and manual trannies?

• 4 weeks later...
"Fall" was the supposed release for the entire Solstice car originally, and that was pushed up to late summer. Why would anyone suspect something so relatively 'minor' as a turbo would be any different?

I don't know if it will still have enough sizzle by then to still sell on looks alone when it's winter.

"Looks alone"....? Why wouldn't 250 HP be counted as sizzle?? Edited by balthazar

And we wonder why GM is in the bind it is in,
Geesh!

[post="46343"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I was a dealer today they had three Solstices all black, I was very impressed by the car but made sick by the dealership the sticker was 23 and change but they had a market adjustment on it and the price was 27 and change. The point of the car was to keep cost low thats what we were all so excited for, and now that car sells for closer to 30k than 20 k, and like you said people wonder why they are in jam. They had the GTO in 2004 marked up 3 grand also. I mean I know its a common thing with certain cars like to Z06 and all, but I think it sucks big time. I helped a buddy of mine look for cars a few weeks back, the Gm dealerships treated us like garbage, Toyota acted like we were royalty no fast talking low life finace guys no rude sales people. I would only buy GM but I can see why people quit on them some times.....

I was a dealer today they had three Solstices all black, I was very impressed by the car but made sick by the dealership the sticker was 23 and change but they had a market adjustment on it and the price was 27 and change. The point of the car was to keep cost low thats what we were all so excited for, and now that car sells for closer to 30k than 20 k, and like you said people wonder why they are in jam.  They had the GTO in 2004 marked up 3 grand also. I mean I know its a common thing with certain cars like to Z06 and all, but I think it sucks big time. I helped a buddy of mine look for cars a few weeks back, the Gm dealerships treated us like garbage, Toyota acted like we were royalty no fast talking low life finace guys no rude sales people. I would only buy GM but I can see why people quit on them some times.....

[post="60482"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

First let me state I think dealer mark up's are rip offs.

Now back to reality. GM can't tell dealers what to sell a car for they can only suggest a sell price. If GM force their pricing the goverment would come in a slap GM so hard!.

The dealers only get away with this pricing because fools pay the price for many of these cars. As long as there is a buyer paying mark ups your going to get this problem. At least the dealers got burned on the GTO but unfortunatly so did GM.

On the other hand show me a car Toyota has that is good looking enought and cool to own you would pay a mark up or wait months to get one?

Can't name one huh?

Once GM get demand caught up you will get the price Bob Lutz wanted for the consumer.

First let me state I  think dealer mark up's are rip offs.

Now back to reality. GM can't tell dealers what to sell a car for they can only suggest a sell price. If GM force their pricing the goverment would come in a slap GM so hard!.

The dealers only get away with this pricing because fools pay the price for many of these cars. As long as there is a buyer paying mark ups your going to get this problem. At least the dealers got burned on the GTO but unfortunatly so did GM.

On the other hand show me a car Toyota has that is good looking enought and cool to own you would pay a mark up or wait months to get one?

Can't name one huh?

Once GM get demand caught up you will get the price Bob Lutz wanted for the consumer.

[post="61002"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The mark ups is a breath of fresh air to GM. After years of bargain basement deals it is time thay have another car with a mark-up instead of a mark down.

What about Saturn? GM can force prices. Much like any company can. Why do you think the PSP is $249 at best buy, walmart, kmart, circuit city, etc... Because Sony tells them how much they have to sell it for.

First let me state I  think dealer mark up's are rip offs.

Can't name one huh?

I dont care for Toyota and there are no cars to wait for there, dont get me wrong my point was the dealerships hurt GMs cause in this scenario. Most of the dealers I have visited barely know the cars. I think the price will get back to where it has to be and the cats who pay for it are dumb, at 23k they will fly of the Showroom floor. i just hope the Camaro is mass produced. As for the GTO I got mine a 2005 for a bit under sticker. The car is amazing and I think it would have benefited from a decent ad campaign. I know people bash the looks but with 18s I really like the way the new GTO looks and its brutally fast. It grew on me big time. I hope more peop[le give it a shot they wont be sorry.