America's saddest cities

Detroit and Cleveland are not surprises.

Portland is a real dichotomy of pluses and minuses, so kind of a surprise.

Nashville, Jacksonville and Atlanta are surprises.

Check out the list:

Link to MSN list of Saddest Cities

Detroit and Cleveland are not surprises.

Portland is a real dichotomy of pluses and minuses, so kind of a surprise.

Nashville, Jacksonville and Atlanta are surprises.

Check out the list:

Link to MSN list of Saddest Cities

Bob, actually I know three people who moved from Portland to Florida because they found the weather depressing. My first roommate in Orlando was from Portland and she went anorexic when she was in her teens before she moved here. One of my colleague and his wife were on anti-depressants before they moved here and now use none.

Seriously...the only two state with two cities is Ohio. Wouldn't want to live in Cincy, too far right politically. Some people love Cleveland but to me it needs removed from the earth.

I've lived in Atlanta, pluses and minuses...but not where I'd want to live long term.

Chris

No surprise Las Vegas is on the list...surprised Phoenix isn't on the list--disgusting climate, hideous tan desert sh*t.. I spent a lot of time in Cleveland when I was in college and grad school back in the '90s... lived in the Detroit area after that, but Ann Arbor is a world apart.

Portland is one of the places I've been to a few times and kind of like, thought about moving there or Seattle, San Diego, Columbus, or Pittsburgh, besides Denver which is my Plan A.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Bob, actually I know three people who moved from Portland to Florida because they found the weather depressing. My first roommate in Orlando was from Portland and she went anorexic when she was in her teens before she moved here. One of my colleague and his wife were on anti-depressants before they moved here and now use none.

Well, I hear you. More so than the weather, it's the strong local/non-local vibe in the PNW that's even more depressing, unlike CA or FL where the sense of "entitlement" is minimal or non-existent. Hell, CA or FL presumes you're from somewhere else and welcomes all.

As for FL, I find the turquoise beaches (most of the peninsula) to be very soothing...especially up in the Panhandle. I could put up with the humidity to look at the ocean/gulf. I can see why moving from the PNW to FL would take someone off of anti-depressants.

I'm surprised Pittsburgh isn't on the list, but we have a relatively low crime rate. Still, there is a reason we have one of the premier mental health institutions in the country.

Doesn't Pittsburgh always rank high on QOL surveys? The pictures I've seen where the hills drop down to the three rivers and the fountains blasting in the foreground look nice. I've known a few people who moved there (to take jobs at the universities there) who like it.

I would imagine it gets cold and there are a lot of cloudy days.

Edited by trinacriabob

New Orleans, now there is a shock, how could anyone be unhappy when your city goes underwater?

I can see St. Louis being on the list, the city itself sucks, but its surrounded by some pretty decent areas.

Cincinnati is another hell hole, if I were reduced to living there, I'd kill myself.