Superior Glass Works to sell 54 Sports Wagon based on C5 Corvette

Link to Article

Superior Glass Works to sell 54 Sports Wagon based on C5 Corvette

About two years ago, there was a nasty rumor that Ford was developing sedan and wagon variants of (gasp!) the Mustang. Torches were lit and pitchfork futures soared until Ford totally debunked the rumor.

But 55 years ago, something similar took place at the 1954 Motorama in New York when Chevrolet displayed a Corvette-based wagon called the Nomad. The difference in the two stories, according to at least one Web site, is that the public absolutely loved the show car's styling. Smelling opportunity, GM management rushed the Nomad into production without even one trace of Corvette styling.

There are those who still hold a grudge against GM for not following through with a Corvette-based station wagon. For the latter fans, their 55-year wait might be over if they saved at least $2,300 a year.

For $125,000 Superior Glass Works will sell you a 1954 Corvette Nomad recreated in fiberglass and fittingly built on a Corvette C5 chassis. The choice of engine, interior and wiring is up to you after you get it home and at extra cost. A $50,000 deposit will reserve one of the 25 copies to be built. Brad Peterson, owner of Specialty, tells us that pre-orders were not taken and no cars have yet been sold. But if you're interested, he said you can check out the Superior 54 Sport Wagon in person at Back to the 50s in St. Paul, Minn. June 19-21 or at the NSRA Street Rod Nationals in Louisville, Kentucky, August 6-9.

superior_54_nomad---2_opt.jpg

June 2, 2009, Molalla, Oregon - Superior Glass Works today proudly introduces the Limited Edition Superior 54 Sport Wagon. Styled in tribute to the 1954 General Motors' Motorama Corvette Nomad, The Superior 54 is enhanced with 21st century performance. Available only as a Complete Rolling Package, each will be delivered with the body and chassis fully assembled - ready for paint, interior, engine, wiring and other personal touches to create the Restomod, Custom, or Pro-Touring vehicle desired.

Manufactured in Oregon with the highest-quality, hand-laid composite and reinforced with a stout steel sub-structure, the body includes a complete set of custom-crafted window glass and chrome trim. The body's stunning looks are complemented with modern conveniences such as power windows, power door locks and air conditioning.

"The Superior 54 Sport Wagon is a very special car," said Brad Peterson, owner of Superior Glass Works. "There has always been a mystique surrounding the Motorama cars and we are excited to offer our Superior 54 to a select few looking to drive their own piece of history."

The Superior 54 Sport Wagon chassis is equipped with modern, high-performance, C5 Corvette suspension.

Features include:

The custom frame designed and built in partnership with Art Morrison Enterprises, Inc., including Morrison's front cross member, steering arms, sway bar, and power rack and pinion steering.

The independent front and rear suspensions use 1997-2004 C5 Corvette components.

The front suspension includes stock Corvette control arms, spindles, and brakes, plus high-performance coil over shocks in place of the stock leaf spring.

The rear suspension utilizes a custom narrowed stock cradle, with the half-shafts and leaf spring narrowed accordingly.

The choice of 6-speed manual or automatic transaxle.

Superior Glass Works is completely tooled up and ready to build the Limited Edition Superior 54 Sport Wagon. A $50,000 deposit secures a spot on the waiting list for one of the 25 Complete Rolling Packages to be sold. The initial total package price is $125,000. Call 888-244-9259 or visit www.Superior54.com for more information.

Superior Glass Works has served street rodders, drag racers, customizers and restorers for more than 30 years. We've earned our reputation by producing the highest quality fiberglass bodies and parts, and complete, custom chassis. We are the leading manufacturer of fiberglass parts for 1931 - 1955 Chevrolet cars and trucks. The company also offers 14 street rod bodies, 11 drag race bodies, in fiberglass and carbon fiber, along with a full-service chassis shop. Superior Glass Works is a long-term member of industry organizations: Specialty Equipment Market Association/Hot Rod Industry Alliance, National Street Rod Association and Goodguys Rod & Custom Association. Visit www.superiorglassworks.com for more information.

That Corvair in the period photo, I've always liked that, it would have been cool if they produced it. I wonder if the Corvette would have survived as long as it has with a whole family of models like that.

Right BigP; not sure everyone was aware of the Motorama Nomad. I like it, but have always been puzzled at the focus on that model, as opposed to the 'Corvette Corvair' fastback.

BTW- the yellow hardtop in the forground was recently 'found' and is undergoing restoration....

Glad to hear the yellow hardtop was found...

Also...too bad they can't build a very close replica of the original Corvette based Nomad on a larger scale, and at lower cost, like Factory Five does with it's Cobra.

• 6 years later...
Guest Bob petrusha

Loved it the first time I saw it at the street rod nats. Either my arms are to short or my pockets are to deep, just cannot spend that much money. But would love to have one, maybe I can win the lottery.

This guy is recreating a GM show car...not making up his own design.

http://wiki.gmnext.com/wiki/index.php/A_Tr...a_Cars_for_1954

510px-C5909-0699.jpg

Is there a better link? The link takes me to a generic gmnext.com web site.

The Original car has a sketchy past.

We all know for sure there was one car built but there are some that believe several were built to travel the country. Then what happened to them is also even Sketchier.

I have read over the years different claims and such. One has it that one of the cars is still around and in a private collection. With what happened to many of the Motorama cars anything is possible.

Over the years several reproduction were built a couple stock appearing and a couple street rod like.

You have to recall how Europe has a major influence on Harley Earl and this was his take on a Chevy Shooting Brake as they were popular in Europe at the time.

As we know the roof was used on the 55 Nomad and the later models.

This will have a small group of people who will show interest like those who bought the 5. and 63 based C5 rebodied models over the years.

For me I would rather pay the money for a fully loaded Z06 or a perfectly restored older late 50's model with FI and all. I love a 59 as I grew up with one that was an all original FI car accept for the block. Some one replace the lower end with a DZ block from a 69 Z and boy did that thing run even with the wide white bia tires.