2006 Pontiac Pursuit

Pretty good review. However I agree with this:

Of course, with the word on the web to expect a Solstice GXP, turbocharged, intercooled and good for 240 horsepower, or the already available Cobalt SS Supercharged in the 200+ hp club, it would only take a stroke of the accounting department's mighty pen of approval to make a truly 'hot' Pursuit for Canadian Pontiac lovers - one that our friends to the south would be jealous of. You know that Pontiac fans will be all over it. Come on, GM, give 'em what they want.

How easy would it be - given that the SS Supercharged already exists on the same platform - to make a Persuit GTP?

It reminds me of the Pontiac T1000, [or many other cheapo rebadged GM cars] just a Chevy with a Pontiac grille. What's the point?

[post="65263"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why an Acura-badged Civic? Same reason - Canada is a stonger market for smaller cars. I'd agree if the Pursuit came stateside looking exactly as the Canadian market version does.

The point is that Pontiac has been historically more popular than Chevy in Canada. That is why their lineup here is more extensive than the US. Canada loves Pontiacs. This car is just as legitimate as the Cobalt. One might say, in Canada, why bother with the Cobalt? I have seen the Pursuit on the street and it looks very good. I would love to see a GXP version.

• 1 month later...

It reminds me of the Pontiac T1000, [or many other cheapo rebadged GM cars] just a Chevy with a Pontiac grille. What's the point?

[post="65263"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but it fits what I had in mind about the Pursuit/"G4".

I would love to see this car in the US as the modern-day Sunbird/Sunfire, a small FWD sporty Pontiac coupe. However, simply slapping a Poncho nose and tail on it is not enough. I seem to recall that the Sunbird/Sunfire and Chevy Cavalier had at least moderately different styling, enough to set them apart. I felt that GM did a great job of this in the 90s w/ the W-body Lumina/Grand Prix/Cutlass cars. Same platform and drivetrains, but significantly different sheet metal and greenhouses gave them all truly distinct looks. IMHO anyway.

Blatant rebadging sucks, but I'm all for a car that shares only a small amount of sheet metal and has a different greenhouse or glass arangement to make it different from its Chevy source.

Agreed.....I see way more Pursuits then Coblats here too.  And I like the look of them better...really hope they do the supercharged version.

[post="87360"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I would agree if at least it got a different bumper. They could've made a one piece bumper grille that alters the shape to resemble the G6. Isn't that hard is it?

Otherwise, it's just a Cobalt with a pig's nose.

Well the Pursuit has been out longer hasnt it?................I do love those wheels..

[post="87455"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No. Cobalt was actually slightly earlier, like a week or so. I got to test ride (not drive) one before the Pursuit hit the dealers. Edited by ToniCipriani

When I look at the Pursuit all I see is............ a Chevy Cobalt. Keep it in the North, please. Thats why Pontiac is a "damaged brand" now. When its completely different(Grand Prix vs Monte Carlo) then fine. But when you take a Cobalt and slap a new grille on it, it just hurts the brand.

Not the first time GM had almost identical makes.  Not much difference between the Cavalier and Sunbird.

Posted Image

[post="87333"][/post]

Didn't hurt the brand then and it won't now. The US market will be getting the Pursuit, the dealers are crying for it. Edited by HarleyEarl

I wonder if Pontiac can survive as some boutique performance division. Maybe it can, if all GM brands are sold under one roof with maybe the exception of maybe Cadillac/Hummer. It's hard for Pontiac dealerships in the US to not have an entry level car like this....they have lost the Sunfire customer to other makes. The G6 can't fill that void.

I wonder if Pontiac can survive as some boutique performance division.  Maybe it can, if all GM brands are sold under one roof with maybe the exception of maybe Cadillac/Hummer.  It's hard for Pontiac dealerships in the US to not  have an entry level car like this....they have lost the Sunfire customer to other makes.  The G6 can't fill that void.

[post="87759"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Pursuit is coming over as the G4 and G5 this fall. G4 = sedan, G5 = coupe.