Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Camino LS6

Might have to

50 posts in this topic

...scoop up a temporary plow vehicle. Can't find what I'm really looking for, but I have to get something to clear this driveway with VERY soon.

I was really hoping for a "one and done" scenario, but that's not looking too likely.

I would go for a GMT-400 and 350 or better yet a 454.

Edited by gm4life

I've found a few possible "temp" vehicles, but most of them don't have plows yet.

There are a couple of old ex-army diesel blazers out there for sale....

Blazer 1

Blazer 2

Blazer 3 - This one is only about 30 minutes from me.... I could take a looksee for you.

Nice!

I would go for a GMT-400 and 350 or better yet a 454.

Gas could be an issue there....

Those DOD Blazers are so tempting because of the miles, but between the lousy 6.2 diesel and the camo, I just don't think I can go there.

Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated.

I believe the 6.2 was better than the 6.5, which ate injection pumps like popcorn at the movies... we had to keep injection pumps in stock for the 6.5, didn't keep much for 6.2s.

Pre-Duramax diesels (even reliable ones) are just something I can't stomach.

Until I drove a Duramax, I was a confirmed diesel hater.

That Dakota would be tempting...

Chris

I would go for this one, except that I seem to remember a major taboo from both GM and the plow manufacturers about installing a plow on crew cabs in these years.

?? What difference would the cab make on having a plow (since the plow is at the front)?

That Dakota would be tempting...

Chris

It is tempting because it is a sharp-looking little truck and already has a plow. But, I'd be itching to get out of it from day one.

I'd feel hamstrung in any compact pickup.

Those DOD Blazers are so tempting because of the miles, but between the lousy 6.2 diesel and the camo, I just don't think I can go there.

Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated.

65456769-5c3a-452c-822b-bb4d8b66bc8c_300.jpg

?? What difference would the cab make on having a plow (since the plow is at the front)?

I think it was an issue of stress on the frame due to the long wheelbase. As I recall, the plow installers were refusing to install on these trucks. GM wouldn't build them with the plow-prep package.

I'd have to look into it again to be sure.

It is tempting because it is a sharp-looking little truck and already has a plow. But, I'd be itching to get out of it from day one.

The Dakotas are more of a midsize, though...a lot bigger than a Ranger, S-10, Colorado, etc.

Actually I worked through college for a landscaper, and being in Muncie, Indiana we plowed a lot of snow in the winter. We had a CJ-7 that was great for smaller stuff, and 4WD fullsize fords and chevy's for larger stuff.

The cab on those isn't a bad size...I'm a good sized guy and I'm comfortable in them.

The Dakota + a larger truck would be a nice plow combo, I think. Would be perfect (the Dakota) for something like the smaller lot of a drug store or small church or something.

Just my two cents.

Chris

The Dakotas are more of a midsize, though...a lot bigger than a Ranger, S-10, Colorado, etc.

+1

The Dakota is about 95% of an older F150 in size.

Speaking of offbeat plow trucks, for at least 2-3 winters, one of the guys that plowed my condo complex in Denver had a flat black '62 Dodge 4x4 stepside truck...was pretty shocking to look out and see a 45 yr old truck plowing the streets.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Dakotas are much bigger than S10's, Ranger, and Colorados. Plus they were for the longest time the only non full size truck to offer a V8.

Actually I worked through college for a landscaper, and being in Muncie, Indiana we plowed a lot of snow in the winter. We had a CJ-7 that was great for smaller stuff, and 4WD fullsize fords and chevy's for larger stuff.

The cab on those isn't a bad size...I'm a good sized guy and I'm comfortable in them.

The Dakota + a larger truck would be a nice plow combo, I think. Would be perfect (the Dakota) for something like the smaller lot of a drug store or small church or something.

Just my two cents.

Chris

Perfectly logical, but I have other tasks for a pickup that would be beyond the Dakota. If I were to keep the Mothertruck, all sorts of options for the plow vehicle would be workable.

I'd prefer to get into a nice 3/4 ton and send the Mothertruck on its merry way. Also, whatever I get will have to do daily driver duties for a while as well.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0