Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Remember the old "good" GM days?

ocnblu

The Magnum would be a natural for conversion into an El Camino style vehicle. I plan to do that eventually w/ a Revell 1:25th scale model kit.

An El Camino based off the last W- Monte Carlo could have been interesting..

The Lumina Euro coupe actually wasn't a bad looking car. I saw a white one in mint condition the other day.

That reminds me, I saw a dark gold base '90 2dr Lumina (gray egg crate style grille) in really clean condition recently. Not something you see very often in any condition.

The Magnum would be a natural for conversion into an El Camino style vehicle. I plan to do that eventually w/ a Revell 1:25th scale model kit.

An El Camino based off the last W- Monte Carlo could have been interesting..

Yes to the Magnum, or better yet, the Challenger.

No to the painfully ugly Monte, even the Lumina was better looking than that.

That would be a new use for a Vocal GPS, as the mullet would be on the front.

Annoying female voice "Blind Camino Driver, left in two hundred yards....one hundred yards...you have contacted a mailbox....you have contacted a parked car....you have contacted a curb..."

On another forum they had pics of a Kia minivan made into a Phaeton like touring car, with a very long and awkward convertible top.

ughhh...most home built rebuilds...But I did see one VERY professionally done 55 chev Nomad into an El camino vehicle...didn't look half bad....

Chris

A couple of the worst home-brew car-pickup conversions I've seen were genuine 'Keys Cruisers' (got their picture in the Saturday Keynoter newspaper in the Florida Keys)---a '72 Torino wagon that had been converted into a rusty 2dr convertible pickup w/ flat bed and a '73 or so Mercury Colony Park wagon that had been made into a 4dr pickup (the rear roof area cut off, sawed through D-pillars still sticking up a few inches)..

On another forum they had pics of a Kia minivan made into a Phaeton like touring car, with a very long and awkward convertible top.

ughhh...most home built rebuilds...But I did see one VERY professionally done 55 chev Nomad into an El camino vehicle...didn't look half bad....

Chris

A very natural conversion - the lines are perfect for it.

I've seen many of them that were sweet (55-57)

I'd never cut up a Nomad to do it, but I'd buy one converted back in the day.

Speaking of phantoms...I've always wanted to do a sedan delivery based on a nomad or a Safari...

That would be cool...as a 60's drag car with slicks and a solid front axle...as a resto look car that should have "come from the factory" that way...as a modern pro touring style car, slammed, with an LS series motor...

Chris

You guys are right, of course, but it pains me to even think of cutting up a rare Nomad / Safari.

The Nom/Fari B-pillar I can't argue, tho note the regular wagons had (not as much) slanted tailgates, too.

I could cut a regular wagon, tho that'd be tough, too. Any sheetmetal 'deficiencies' from the regulars vs. the 'sports' can easily be remedied with sheetmetal, a welder and a good eye.

I'm wondering how much it would cost to create the stampings for just a few nomad pices so that one could be built from a 4 door sedan.

They've already got enough pieces to build a ragtop from a 4 door...why not a Nomad?

Chris

That thought crossed my mind as well.

Wheelbase could be an issue, I'd have to research that.

I think all '55-57 Chevies have the same wheelbase, regardless of bodystyle.

I wonder if Dynacorn or one of the others will make repro bodies for '55s..I think they are making '57 convertibles now.

The 80's J cars were cool!

One of my fav. cars was an 85 chev Cavalier 5 speed coupe...NEAT little car...and probably why I'm so addicted to the idea of sport compacts now.

GM spoiled me with that car!

Chris

Yep...loved my blue 2 door RS! It was very tossable, and to me it just looked sporty.

I guess that's why this "Aveo RS" caught my attention.

Anyways, I'd love a GN or a T type... :lovey:

I'm almost certain the '55 body is also being reproduced.

Interesting to ponder the degree of interest to reproduce an entire vintage automobile BODY, eh?

BTW- wheelbases ARE the same '55-57 Chevy : 115".

Found this..

Cars Inc makes a '55 Chevy convertible body...

55 Chevy body

Here's Dynacorn's list of GM bodies they offer..

Dynacorn

No '80s Cavalier bodies that I can find yet.

46.jpg

Absof*cklootly amazing !!! I can hardly believe this, esp from the POV of a guy who's lucky to work on something for which repro weatherstripping is available. I'd seen finished examples of the '55 before, but they look like any other restoration/rod - this is the first time I've seen the starting point. You could easily spend $7500 for rust repair on a 50-yr old car and still risk waves, misalignment... or you could buy a 100%, real steel repro ready for paint and do a 'catalog' build. It's all there!

DAMMNIT- why didn't I develop a taste for Chevys ???

Camino- IMO, and coming from the same East Coast rust belt.... those prices are completely worth it for what you get.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

To tow a tiny trailer. I saw an interesting Metro the other day when random googling on hypermiling..some one had cut down the roofline of a Geo Metro to make it more aero, looked like a Honda CRX sorta kinda..