What I'm thinking of

ocnblu

I am thinking of... sending out some emails to a few local Chevy dealers asking for a price on a truck. I'm thinking the best thing to do is take rebates and any talk of trade-in out of the equation, because by the time the truck is built and delivered, those aspects will likely vary. That will keep the playing field level. So here it is:

2010 Colorado 1LT regular cab 4X4

3.7L I5

automatic

G80 locking rear

power/convenience package

trailering package

full-size spare tire

Steel Green Metallic. I am debating the interior color. I really would like to have tan, but I am concerned about it showing dirt. Does anyone know if GM is still spraying StainGuard on their seats? If not, I wonder how much it would cost to have it done after I take delivery.

I'd also like to pursue a bedliner delete situation (there is an option code for it, but it is among the "fleet only" codes). I never liked slide-in bedliners. I'd prefer a BedRug if I can afford it or even a heavy rubber mat. I am hoping it won't be a hassle. I'd take it out on my own after I take delivery, but it appears the tailgate is drilled for attaching screws for that portion of the liner, and I don't want to deal with that mess.

Mild customization plans include shaving the labels off the tailgate and replacing with a GMT900 Silverado tailgate bowtie, a soft, folding tonneau like I had on my Sierra, ventshades, factory accessory small black wheel flares, and all-terrain tires (I cannot abide the car tires that come on these trucks from the factory). Maybe a K&N air intake and a mellow single exhaust system.

I really would like to have tan, but I am concerned about it showing dirt. Does anyone know if GM is still spraying StainGuard on their seats? If not, I wonder how much it would cost to have it done after I take delivery.

$10.79

I'd also like to pursue a bedliner delete situation (there is an option code for it, but it is among the "fleet only" codes). I never liked slide-in bedliners. I'd prefer a BedRug if I can afford it or even a heavy rubber mat. I am hoping it won't be a hassle. I'd take it out on my own after I take delivery, but it appears the tailgate is drilled for attaching screws for that portion of the liner, and I don't want to deal with that mess.

I'm a fan of spray-in bedliners, especially those that come body colored. Yeah, once it's in there, it's in there, but it looks way better than plastic bedliners, and you don't have to deal with rainwater/dirt/leaves/etc. making its way underneath the bedliner anyway and damaging the finish, or worse yet, the metal. If you got the truck with the bedliner, you could probably cover the holes with the spray on stuff and you'd never tell.

Mild customization plans include shaving the labels off the tailgate and replacing with a GMT900 Silverado tailgate bowtie, a soft, folding tonneau like I had on my Sierra, ventshades, factory accessory small black wheel flares, and all-terrain tires (I cannot abide the car tires that come on these trucks from the factory). Maybe a K&N air intake and a mellow single exhaust system.

Sounds good. Go for it. I wish you didn't have to get rid of the Cobalt though. Me - I'd really love a red 3LT ext. cab in red with just the G80 option box checked. Since the dealers here don't stock Colorados, I'm going to have to search used. There are a few available that don't seem to be going anywhere, and I hope to be ready by next month.

I understand the no bedliner because of the tonneau... but slide-ins get a bad rap, IMO.

I had a factory one (wrapped over the bedsides) installed @ the dealer when I bought my '94 new, and I took it out when I clunkered it 15 years later :: no dirt, no leaves, no rot/rust... just some scuffing on the bed bottom back near the tailgate. And I had 3/4-ton springs in my 1/2-ton; the truck definately was "jacked up' - so rainwater could certainly overflow the back edge of the bedliner & run underneath.

When they wrap over the bedsides (and I'd would imagine when they tuck under the rails, too)- they keep the bed pretty well preserved. BTW- I ALSO ran a rubber mat in the bedliner, to keep stuff from sliding around. Have the same set-up in my 2500HD.

-- -- -- -- --

I read a huge thread on another board about spray-in bedliners, and it seems from all the input there that Line-X trumps Rhino for longevity & durability, plus appearance to a degree.

There's not a thing wrong with my Cobalt. It has met my short-term needs quite handily. But I'm a pickup man. I can't help it.

Sounds like me & the G8, the halo car of many. I've just found I want to sit higher & have more capability, etc. Sport sedans can do a lot, but not all. So I'm truck & SUV shopping too, but just what's in stock because I could never settle on what to order...of anything. Not a truck guy, per say, but I'm starting to figure out what it is I'm "missing" in all of the cars I've had.

I like your Colorado combo...and love that color on them. As for inside, my eye naturally goes to anything but black so it has some COLOR, like beige or otherwise, but the showing dirt part is a big factor even with effort, it happens. I had the same worry today when cashmere leather in a new Acadia sucked me in...then I started having visions of a friend's beige leather in her Mountaineer that just is dingy.

Bedliner delete too...hmm...there has to be...

Otherwise, as I've found, it never hurts to email out a specific request and go from there. Nothing has to be firm, but every single time, the dealers who can actually respond in detail and quickly (and 3-4 automated response emails like some have set up, don't count), are the ones you end up wanting to deal with in person too. Throw it out there & see what you get. Even if it's just a thought right now, it doesn't hurt to ask.

FWIW, I thnk the beige inerior still has the charcoal rug and mats, so dirt won't show as easily.

Very true. I have had black interior in my last two vehicles, time to brighten things up a bit. The two-tone tan and black really looks good together.

Very true. I have had black interior in my last two vehicles, time to brighten things up a bit. The two-tone tan and black really looks good together.

I said the same thing yesterday when looking at an Acadia with the Cashmere interior...my black/Onyx G8 has worn well, basically doesn't look any different from new, seats never stain or discolor, etc. but it's also just a coal bin inside. Grr. Another part of my old G6 I really missed, the beige & black interior combo, with cloth. Loved it.

I highly doubt you could ever muck up a vehicle that much...so the little extra effort in keeping it bright & clean could be more than worth the cheery color inside, rather than black.