Interesting thought about the Camaro

Northstar

I was thinking about the "hood scoop" on the Camaro yesterday, and whether it was really functional or not.

Anyways, regardless of whether it is functional, it's not needed with the LS2. The LS2 is a "bottom breather" meaning it takes in air from underneath. The reason the Z06 has a little hood scoop is because the LS7 is not a bottom breather but rather a "front breather" meaning it takes in air from the front/top of the engine. So, knowing that, even if the scoop is funtional, it probably does very little for cooling the LS2, so... maybe that hints at the LS7 or another front breathing engine being possible in the future for the Camaro.

Well, Uncle Bob did say that GM has "another certified 100 horses on tap with the LS7, should we need to go that far". So you may not be that far off.

Honestly Buddy, I think you're reading way too much into it to be frank wiht you.

Any engine can be easily reconfigured to breathe from top or bottom... it's juat a matter of a ram-air setup and intake plenum with a possible (worst case scenario) redesign of the intake. Not much mechanical there... the only real engineereing involved is related to airflow characteristics, in other words no 90* turns in the intake.

The scoop does not bother me but it is a little non-sensical. The car was given the traditional Super scoop commonly refered to as "cowl induction" which is functional and takes in air from the base fo the windshield since at speed there's a high-pressure spot right there. Very practical, functional and one opf the many things the Camaro contributed to motorsport of all variteies. From Drag racing to the Trans Am series to todays SCCA.

That being said (damnit I'm rambling again) leave the non-functional boy-racer Riceroni garbage to the Mustang, that's always been a Mustang trait.

Either make a scoop and make it functional (if only for cooling or whatever) or leave it off entirely!

I was thinking about the "hood scoop" on the Camaro yesterday, and whether it was really functional or not.

Anyways, regardless of whether it is functional, it's not needed with the LS2. The LS2 is a "bottom breather" meaning it takes in air from underneath. The reason the Z06 has a little hood scoop is because the LS7 is not a bottom breather but rather a "front breather" meaning it takes in air from the front/top of the engine. So, knowing that, even if the scoop is funtional, it probably does very little for cooling the LS2, so... maybe that hints at the LS7 or another front breathing engine being possible in the future for the Camaro.

Reading to much into this for sure. The LS2 and LS7 have pretty similar intake manifolds and the air filters are in the same position on either.

Honestly Buddy, I think you're reading way too much into it to be frank wiht you.

Any engine can be easily reconfigured to breathe from top or bottom... it's juat a matter of a ram-air setup and intake plenum with a possible (worst case scenario) redesign of the intake. Not much mechanical there... the only real engineereing involved is related to airflow characteristics, in other words no 90* turns in the intake.

The scoop does not bother me but it is a little non-sensical. The car was given the traditional Super scoop commonly refered to as "cowl induction" which is functional and takes in air from the base fo the windshield since at speed there's a high-pressure spot right there. Very practical, functional and one opf the many things the Camaro contributed to motorsport of all variteies. From Drag racing to the Trans Am series to todays SCCA.

That being said (damnit I'm rambling again) leave the non-functional boy-racer Riceroni garbage to the Mustang, that's always been a Mustang trait.

Either make a scoop and make it functional (if only for cooling or whatever) or leave it off entirely!

A mustang trait? The 4th gens had fake scoops aswell...

A mustang trait? The 4th gens had fake scoops aswell...

no they didnt...

if you are refering to the black things on the 93-97s... those werent really scoops, but they did allow stuff to pass through...

you poor water on it, water will pass through... i assume air would too...

All they do is gather wayward wax. They are not open, just a black piece of plastic with a honeycomb grille shape on it. They are throwbacks to the louvers on the IROCs in the 80's. All they did was hold water so when you were done washing the car you had to open the hood to let all the water drain out before you dried the car.

All they do is gather wayward wax.  They are not open, just a black piece of plastic with a honeycomb grille shape on it.  They are throwbacks to the louvers on the IROCs in the 80's.  All they did was hold water so when you were done washing the car you had to open the hood to let all the water drain out before you dried the car.

in my formula the water would drain... if i put the hose up to it... it would pass through...

Still, when in a few occasions the Camaro of F/TA had fake scoops they were not ridicilously large and grotesquely unaerodynamic like the huge air brake scoop on the last gen Mustang GT.

I mean look at this thing... seriously it's got to set the car back like 0.4 in drag coeficient. <_<

Posted Image

no it was used...

Posted Image

this hood...

they werent functional but they werent blocked up either... i'm 90% certain that they were vents...

I bought mine new back in 93. The water does eventually drain out of the fake scoops on the standard 93-97 Firebird, as well as Trans Am and Formula without the 96-97 Ram Air. Having said that, it does not have any functional properties other then a styling gimick.