Spy photos: 2009 BMW 7 Series

Variance

More than likely.....this is an engineering mule on the old body.

The different front end could be to test a modified/new front structure (for pedestrian-accident purposes...?)

That's what I would guess.....

I could see that, just like those new CTS spy shots that recently surfaced.

More than likely.....this is an engineering mule on the old body.

The different front end could be to test a modified/new front structure (for pedestrian-accident purposes...?)

That's what I would guess.....

The '06 front-end is already pedestrian compatible.

I actually like the nose of the current one. It's the Stratus butt I object to.

Stratus butt? The Stratus has rear styling far superior to the current 7- and 5-Series BMW's.

BMW should probably just drop i-Drive and introduce a touch screen system with buttons that link directly to frequently used functions. And, the current 7-Series interior seems bland and cheap to me, like the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class's does.

I don't really anything concrete can be gleaned from this test mule. It could be mostly current 7 with all-new hardware underneath.

Yeah... Isn't the next 7-Series suppose to share the new platform being developed for the rumored "baby" Rolls? Last time I read, it's expected around 2010.

The industry stuff I have read indicates that the new 7 will be all new chassis with updated engines and the new 'small' Rolls to compete with Bentley will be developed off of this platform as well...there also may be a BMW above the 7, slotted between the baby Rolls and the new 7.

The industry stuff I have read indicates that the new 7 will be all new chassis with updated engines and the new 'small' Rolls to compete with Bentley will be developed off of this platform as well...there also may be a BMW above the 7, slotted between the baby Rolls and the new 7.

A 9-series? that would indeed enable them to build their 8 coupe to compete with aston martin etc

and I read they are reconsidering the i-drive, finally yes? they see the light?

A 9-series? that would indeed enable them to build their 8 coupe to compete with aston martin etc

and I read they are reconsidering the i-drive, finally yes? they see the light?

I haven't read anything about the future of iDrive....but I'm pretty sure, based on the investment involved, as well as other German maker's use of similar systems, it will be altered but not eliminated.

I think it'll be interesting to see what chnages occur in the chassis and unibody...the current 5/6 series has had issues with minor accidents becoming total losses because of the aluminum frame used in the front end and its bond with a steel skeleton not holding up very well.

what I remember reading was that the 9-series idea was abandoned in favor of the baby Rolls. I've never read BMW considering both. Interesting.

what I remember reading was that the 9-series idea was abandoned in favor of the baby Rolls. I've never read BMW considering both. Interesting.

I may have been unclear....you are correct, I've heard the RR will supplant the 9 series (sedan) but may also be a platform-mate of a BMW model above the 7....it may actually appear as a quasi-z8 replacement (rumored z10 has been percolating for years)...I personally wouldn't be surprised if a 'space concept' enormo people mover was the 'car' that resulted...