Corvette - NEW SIX SPEED AUTOMATIC

They had a writeup of the Corvette with the new 6 speed automatic in the new April Motor Trend. Generally the comments were positive, except they did not like the shifter paddle setup.

Myself, personally, I'd also like a shifter on the floor in addition to paddles to have a choice. There are times when either is preferable, IMHO.

I wonder if I would take a six speed auto or a true manual. MMMMM Choices........

0-60 in 4.6 seconds.

to tell you the truth... i drove one the other day... sold a nice Z51 package... but i dont think i would ever use the paddle shifter unless i was racing... where as, the clutch and stick give you a completely different feel... i wouldnt recomend the automatic to someone who is looking for a stick... because it just isnt the same...

and well i tried the paddle shifter through third gear and i was like... hell let the damn car pick the gear for me... its easier...

i love manual transmissions, and i still want one after driving the paddle shifter

Edited by Newbiewar

to tell you the truth... i drove one the other day... sold a nice Z51 package... but i dont think i would ever use the paddle shifter unless i was racing... where as, the clutch and stick give you a completely different feel... i wouldnt recomend the automatic to someone who is looking for a stick... because it just isnt the same...

and well i tried the paddle shifter through third gear and i was like... hell let the damn car pick the gear for me... its easier...

i love manual transmissions, and i still want one after driving the paddle shifter

Quoted for truth. I have driven a few cars with the paddle shifters and it really doesn't evoke any passion when driving. Plus you can't really tell when to press the damn thing cause you don't let off the gas to change gears. It's weird.

My grandpa recently purchased a 2006 corvette with the paddle shifters. It can be amusing when the automatic tranny starts to get boring but thats about all its worth. It in no way comes close to giving the feeling of a manual. It is however far better than a normal automatic tranny. Like the guy said you dont let off the gas to switch gears so that can be confusing and the little + button is just to small for my taste.

The 5-speed in the CTS is usually smart enough to pick the right gear for you... even when pushing it hard.  I would imagin the 6-speed would be similar.

yea... but the paddle shifter if you throw it into "S" mode for "select" it stays in the gear you tell it to, so... technically you could wind each gear out or downshift when you wanted to rather then after you punch the gas with a genearic automatic with "shift points"

and i asked the question to my fleet manager, which he couldnt tell me so i figured i'd test it out...

"can you only switch to 'S' mode while the car is stopped?" and you can switch any time you want :ohyeah: but... its nothing close the the real manual transmission feel

Quoted for truth.  I have driven a few cars with the paddle shifters and it really doesn't evoke any passion when driving.  Plus you can't really tell when to press the damn thing cause you don't let off the gas to change gears.  It's weird.

again, at least if the shifter was operable on the floor too, it would be more natural and usable. who keeps both hands at 10 and 2 all the time? I usually have one hand connected to a diet coke and the other hand barely gripping the wheel.

Edited by regfootball

I have paddles in my GTP Comp G.

They are not something I have to have and around town are really a waste.

But have been a lot fun to drive in the mountains and winding roads!

The big problem on the GP is it only has 4 gears and a long time between shifts much of the time.

I think the Vette with six gears and wide power band could be a lot of fun over a standard automatic.

As for the floor or wheel to shift. The wheel is the only way to go once you get used to it.

If you want a shifter on the floor, why not just buy the Corvette that has the manual transmission? :deadhorse:

Paddle shifting is like those "manumatics" they have in other cars, where you can stick your transmission in a psuedo manual mode for a while, and change gears up and down within some range. The only difference is that instead of tapping up and down you tap paddles on the sides. It's not meant to be a manual transmission because it's not. It's an automatic that gives you some input in what gear you want.

I have to go on the 'meh' side of selectable automatics - fun for about a week, then it gets boring. I remember test driving a GP Comp G when it came out and I got tired of it about 5 minutes into the drive. You can do half the equation (downshift) with a regular automatic anyway.

As nice as this is to have, I still prefer the manual. Much more fun. But for those who can't or don't want to drive a stick, then this is a much better option for them.

Should wind up with some better real life fuel economies as well.

I don't like any paddleshifters.....

If I wanted to manually shift my automatic, I'd want to use a manual shift gate on the console with the shifter.

That being said, I LOVE the 6-speed MANUAL in my C6. Short throw, positive gates, and a decently-comfortable clutch effort. It's an easy manual car to drive.