Versatile Personalities?

NOS2006

Are any of you really versatile; you can see both the good and bad of both sides of any situation? And, if you don't initially see one side of the situation, once somebody else explains the "new" side, you're able to understand it almost instantaneously?

I'm like this. I'm just curious how unique a trait it is.

It's good in some situations, where you're looking for a problem; but, in others, it's like you have ADD and don't know where to side and why, and you seem to constantly be contradicting yourself.

Yes, and it's only gotten worse since I've become a dad and my relationship with my girlfriend has gotten way above and beyond the simplicity of just the two of us.

Having a baby changes everything, you HAVE to be a little more versatile in your thinking. Living for today is no longer acceptable.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Well, I think I do. I mean, sometimes I feel that I can see all sides of the argument, but then I wonder if I really can or if I'm still just seeing things from a limited perspective, and because I can see from different angles of that perspective, I assume I can see from all angles . . . .

Yeah, I know what you mean.  Well, I think I do.  I mean, sometimes I feel that I can see all sides of the argument, but then I wonder if I really can or if I'm still just seeing things from a limited perspective, and because I can see from different angles of that perspective, I assume I can see from all angles . . . .

That sums me up... just more confusing and wierd, though. :P

Try to guess what I was thinking when you said "versatile"....  :lol:  :rolleyes:

Not too hard...you always have to perv a thread up.

:lol:

This site will take ANY topic and take it down the path of homosexuality.

Leave it to  :CG_all:

He's right. Back to the original topic.

-----------

I think being able to see multiple sides is a sign of maturity. You know, like that saying that says maturity is the ability to see the black and white are really varying shades of grey.

The only time this ever works against me is when debating a fanatic, as they will pick up a conceded point and then use that as AH-HA!! I'M RIGHT!! When the rest of their thesis is very, very flawed. Otherwise, this makes you a great debator and writer.

Edited by Croc

The only time this ever works against me is when debating a fanatic, as they will pick up a conceded point and then use that as AH-HA!! I'M RIGHT!! When the rest of their thesis is very, very flawed.  Otherwise, this makes you a great debator and writer.

Aye, I know that feeling pretty well.

I am this way, someone once told me that its really hard in debate class to argue both sides of something, but for the most part... i can generally put myself in someone elses shoes and argue the points i'd see they would have... its the best in decision making if you can think things on the whole playing feild...

sometimes i do argue something that is out of character for me just for the fun of it...

its always a good thing to see the pros and cons to every situation...

Yep, I'm that way. I try very hard to see both sides of an issue and look at it from many points of view.

Except for that 'ricer' thing. I have a very fixed view on ugly cars! :P

lol... they are cheap... and people are trying to improve their styling because they came with none from the factory :lol2:

Not too hard...you always have to perv a thread up.

He's right.  Back to the original topic.

-----------

I think being able to see multiple sides is a sign of maturity.  You know, like that saying that says maturity is the ability to see the black and white are really varying shades of grey.

The only time this ever works against me is when debating a fanatic, as they will pick up a conceded point and then use that as AH-HA!! I'M RIGHT!! When the rest of their thesis is very, very flawed.  Otherwise, this makes you a great debator and writer.

The key thing that has worked for me is not to concede points, but to effectively offer a concession to your opponent in the form of a question. In this way, you draw them as much as halfway toward your viewpoint. (If you are truly good, you may actually see some of their point and move in their direction as well.)

In arguing with a fanatic, sometimes one must be artful with the truth. The best concession is one that completely neutralizes your opponent's point.

Opponent: "String theorists believe their theory solves every problem known to man? How about (some point that string theory may not answer)? They're pulling that outta their asses!"

Responses could include (if available), a factual address to the claim in the form of a correction, an admission that they don't have all the answers, or:

Me: "String theory doesn't have all the answers. It's a pretty well-supported model in that it explains a lot of phenomena in the universe, but of course as with any side, the loudest people will claim to know everything. The truth is, they don't, but if they admit it, then the people that DO claim to know everything will rip them to shreds!"

This has happened a number of times (although never about string theory and always about something much more controversial). It didn't always take this form, but nevertheless it did always demonstrate how keeping a perspective wider than the scope of your opponent's arguments often helps in dealing with fanatics.

Don't allow yourself to be swung about by other people's arguments on all matters. It is one thing to be a student, but it is quite another to be completely without passion and conviction.

It's called empathy, and it should be practiced more often.

EDIT: to clarify, I am not defending my first, glib response to this thread. I mean this strictly on-topic. If more people could realize where others are coming from, more arguments could be defused, and blood pressures would go down.

Edited by ocnblu

I look at everything from EVERY point of view..and EVERY angle...and analyze it over and over and over...

This one chick I knew in college used to call me "Mr. Detail" because I nitpicked everything for the 3rd degree. However, I think that most people on the site of the 3rd degree variety or they wouldn't be here, right?

Guest YellowJacket894

I can say I try to be open-minded to any situation that gets thrown my way. Am I always open-minded? I'd like to think I am most of the time, but, when you get down to it, there are things in which I refuse to see the other side of things.

I'm learning that as I get older, accumulate more experiences, face unexpected changes, and meet different people... it slowly changes me and the way I react to my surroundings.

-

I have less stress, I've become less selfish, I'm more patient, flexible, and more understanding NOW than I was 5 years ago. I can now enjoy the present moment rather than planning too hard for "someday" or "later".

-

With all of this, I realize how flexible I can be with people who do not think like me...and people whose goals or outlook conflict with mine. Sometimes, it is better to be KIND than to be RIGHT.

-

Feeling like a better, more well-rounded person with time...I'm not afraid of getting older.

It's all relative.

One point though: you can't judge how open to opposing viewpoints you really are, only an objective observer can do that.  Sometimes it's all about diplomacy.

Amen. Everyone believes they're insightfulness is superior... but in reality :duh:

NOS's question is like asking people if they believe they're a safe driver :lol:

Are any of you really versatile; you can see both the good and bad of both sides of any situation? And, if you don't initially see one side of the situation, once somebody else explains the "new" side, you're able to understand it almost instantaneously?

It depends on the delivery. If someone can successfully explain himself/herself to my understanding, then I usually have no problem seeing his/her side. Agreeing with it is entirely different.

Often I find myself looking past the person and trying to see what they've overlooked/missed. Most people rarely have all the facts when they have a problem. That's why they can't solve it. Sometimes, if they're completely off base, you just have to trash their warped point of view and rebuild from the ground up. Happens way too often at work. :banghead:

It's all realtive.

One point though: you can't judge how open to opposing viewpoints you really are, only an objective observer can do that.  Sometimes it's all about diplomacy.

I only say this because I truly can relate, and I really have had others look at me and tell me how understanding/versatile (male and female and in totally different situations) I am. Edited by NOS2006

Totally have that.

It just depends on whether or not it effects my beliefs as to whether I would change my mind.

Example, the legalization of pot. I can understand that if it were legal, some may not want to do it because there is no longer the thrill of secrecy. However, it could cause all sorts of driving problems and worthless people.

I have an open mind in anything. That's just the truth. Working in telecomm has opened my eyes up to a whole new world.

I don't clash with anybody, I find the "good" in everybody (because yes, there is good in everybody) and I live my life to the fullest, which is day by day.