Remember my Tahoe?

Camino LS6

It's been hibernating in the barn for a few months now due to a massive oil leak. I've been enjoying driving the wagon, so I haven't done anything about it until a few weeks ago.

I filled it up with oil and moved it over a clean part of the floor to try to locate the leak. Now I have run it and let it sit in the same spot for most of a month.

Guess what?

No freakin leak!

How the hell does that happen?

The entire font undercarriage is soaked with oil from when this happened, yet now it doesn't leak.

Have to get to the bottom of this.

Interesting...any idea *where* the oil leak was coming from (oil pan gasket, front main seal, etc?).

I've seen something like this happen before..my '87 Mustang GT had a leak around the oil pan gasket when I had in Colorado, I had to add a quart every 2000 miles or so. But after moving it back to Ohio, no leak. I think it had to do w/ moving from a very dry climate to a damp one. But what you are seeing is stranger, as you haven't moved your Blazer.

That's just it, I'm trying to find the source and fix it, but the whole underside is oil-covered. Now the damn thing won't leak so I can find the problem.

Hmmm...maybe try cleaning off as much of the oil on the underside and then paint a light color on the suspension, bottom of the engine, etc and then let it run for a while or drive it some (is it drivable)? I did this to track down an oil leak w/ my Bronco years ago..sprayed the suspension, engine bottom, etc w/ gray primer.

The Camaro did the same thing, actually. The leak wasn't as big as yours sounds, though.

I would try something similar to Moltar's suggestion. You could probably avoid using the paint, just wash the undercarriage off, drive it a bit, come back home and see where the oil leak could be coming from. Check all of the common suspect places like the drain plug, oil pan, valve covers, etc., first.

Drove it, checked it, drove it again, checked it again - nothing.

It refuses to leak.

I do have a theory of sorts though.

This was a Dexcool vehicle originally, and some of what seems to be oil might be Dexcool sputem. The radiator was recently replaced before I bought the truck, and I think one of the tanks may have been cracked during the install. Now, the engine oil cooler runs through that tank as well, so that may be part of the problem. Once it gets good and hot, I think the crack opens up and sprays coolant and/or oil all over the place. My short drives didn't reproduce the condition, but that's the only theory I have right now.

The truck has other, separate, issues that are related. The exhaust is often full of water vapor, so I think it may need intake gaskets. I have all but ruled out a head gasket problem.

So a cooling system overhaul may be in the cards, and while I'm at it I'll see what I can do about the mess the previous owner made of the HVAC system.

I'd love to pinpoint/reproduce the massive leak first though.

EDIT: That, and a good pressure washing.

Edited by Camino LS6

Hmm, that's strange. I hate problems like that. I'm having the same problem with my Dodge, except electrical and not oil. It runs like $h!, wants to die... then suddenly when I want to test the voltage while it's dying out, it magically works. Jump on the road, and the fun starts all over again :rolleyes: