2011 VW Jetta SEL *Now With Pics*

Actually, I just really hnope they keep a premium version of the golf around, GTI or TDI.

Two of my (obviously) favorite cars.

And I agree, the new Jetta may be what the market needs, however, I like the current (premium) Jetta much better....

I love it; I say the same damn thing but go super far out of my way to make it clear I'm only analyzing business decisions/SWOT analysis and NOT judging someone's fondness of the VW brand, and instead of -4 I'm rated a +4. Seriously? I mean REALLY?

Edited by Croc
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

So what do you think of the MK VI? Actually, I really like the MK 5 GTI, and have had more than one evil thought of trading the Miata in on one.

Only the Miata's powress as a RWD car in autocross, the fact that it's a ragtop, and that it's almost paid for have deterred me.

Chris

I love it; I say the same damn thing but go super far out of my way to make it clear I'm only analyzing business decisions/SWOT analysis and NOT judging someone's fondness of the VW brand, and instead of -4 I'm rated a +4. Seriously? I mean REALLY?

Sometimes, people just get sand in their vagina...

How people get sand in their vagina in an al male forum is beyond me but...

Once I understood what yhou were saying, a light went off. Some times (me included) we tend to read through each other's posts too quickly, and not slow down to think about them.

I prefer my VW's to be squarer looking, more Euro-functional... except for the Beetle of course. I owned a Mk IV GTI, as you all know, and a Mk II Golf, and two New Beetles. I always thought the Mk V Golf/Jetta was too blobby looking, rather formless. The Mk VI returns to that sharper look. Look at the Mk I, II and III. They're all function over form. The IV was OK looking, a little different. Truth be told, the Mk I is the purest form out of them all, imo. Anyway, I really like the sharp, functional lines of the Mk VI Jetta and Golf.

When I look at the new Jetta, I see a price leader base model that still has VW's longtime brand DNA (before this ill-fated march upmarket)... then I see higher trims that are just as nice as the Mk V. Hardware on paper is useless to me if I cannot feel the difference. Those old Rabbits and Golfs were great handlers with beam axles, do you think VW doesn't have millions upon millions of miles of experience tuning beam axles? I just don't get the panty twisting over this.

To the person who marked me down for reiterating my opinion on the validity of VW's march upmarket... witness the Mk VI Jetta... VW's upper management agrees with me, hence the lower starting price for the Mk VI v. the Mk V.

• Agree 1

I prefer my VW's to be squarer looking, more Euro-functional... except for the Beetle of course. I owned a Mk IV GTI, as you all know, and a Mk II Golf, and two New Beetles. I always thought the Mk V Golf/Jetta was too blobby looking, rather formless. The Mk VI returns to that sharper look. Look at the Mk I, II and III. They're all function over form. The IV was OK looking, a little different. Truth be told, the Mk I is the purest form out of them all, imo. Anyway, I really like the sharp, functional lines of the Mk VI Jetta and Golf.

When I look at the new Jetta, I see a price leader base model that still has VW's longtime brand DNA (before this ill-fated march upmarket)... then I see higher trims that are just as nice as the Mk V. Hardware on paper is useless to me if I cannot feel the difference. Those old Rabbits and Golfs were great handlers with beam axles, do you think VW doesn't have millions upon millions of miles of experience tuning beam axles? I just don't get the panty twisting over this.

To the person who marked me down for reiterating my opinion on the validity of VW's march upmarket... witness the Mk VI Jetta... VW's upper management agrees with me, hence the lower starting price for the Mk VI v. the Mk V.

But the higher trim levels don't get better interior bits, do they? That's the main deficiency here--VW cut corners on visible, touchable pieces instead of simply creating a lower base price by decontenting standard features.

But the higher trim levels don't get better interior bits, do they? That's the main deficiency here--VW cut corners on visible, touchable pieces instead of simply creating a lower base price by decontenting standard features.

It's true that the majority of the lower-grade plastics remain the same between trims. An interesting thing to note, though, is the availability of cloth. The base model 'S' is the only model to receive a cloth interior. V-tex (VW's fancy name for faux leather) is standard on the 'SE', which starts at $18k.

Like how a 16 year old Prizm has an IRS while most Jettas don't.

And yes Croc, as far as I know interior surfaces don't improve with the higher trim levels save for seating surfaces.

The new Corolla doesn't have IRS either. Higher-spec Jettas get softer door panel inserts and metal-look door trim. The Convenience Package on the SE gives you leather wrapped steering wheel, hand brake lever, and shift knob, as well as more silver detail pieces on the HVAC controls and soft-touch rubber on the steering wheel buttons. Dashboard remains hard in the US, unless you get the GLI.

I'm fairy disappointed by the new Jetta, as I feel VW could have made the cost-cutting less obvious. I sat in a Golf right after sitting in the Jetta, and the world car is built so much better than the North American one. At least the door still slams with a thunk...

Edited by pow

I am not one to perv on a dash, so I don't care if the dash shell is hard. Yes, there is a considerable amount of brightwork on the higher trim Jettas. Brightwork does not make it more functional, though. It does make it shinier, for those who want that.

A 16 year-old Prizm is not exactly known as a passionate car to drive. :lol:

Neither is a cost cut car aimed now aimed at Corolla buyers.

Here's a sample:

We wouldn't necessarily mind this cost cutting if it was relegated only to the base model. But the vehicles we sampled on the automaker's media launch were all range-topping SEL models. At $21,395 for an SEL with a stick and no moonroof (it's an option), the Jetta went from class leader to also-ran. You want nice plastics at this price range? Find a Mazda Mazda3 or a Chevrolet Cruze.

But it's not just in the tactile feel of the materials where the Jetta's interior fails. The 2010 had a large trip computer display in the instrument cluster; the 2011's is much smaller and more basic. The '10 had rear seat climate control vents. Gone. Last year's car had an home-style AC adapter. Adios. What happened to the stability control off switch? Vanished – stability control stays on, whether you like it or not. Cruise control isn't even offered on the base Jetta S.

We could forgive the 2011 Jetta's interior for taking a page or two from the “Handbook of Cheap Plastics and How to Use Them in an Automobile” (a collaborative effort by Ford and Toyota) if it continued to offer a sophisticated driving experience.

Oh, about that. VW chose to offer only the top-level SEL trim level for its media launch, meaning we'll have to wait before passing judgment on other models. But a look at the spec sheet isn't promising.

The base Jetta S brings back VW's entry-level 2.0-liter four-cylinder, a 115-horsepower 8-valve unit that was last seen as the Jetta's base engine in 2005. It wasn't a bad engine when it was introduced (about 20 years ago), but it's now in charge of motivating a 2,800 lbs. four-door sedan.

Not good. But at least SE and SEL models come with the automaker's reasonably robust 170-horse 2.5-liter five-cylinder

Then there are the brakes. Jetta S and SE models trade last year's four-wheel discs for a set of drums out back. Jettas were exclusively offered with four wheel discs beginning about a decade back. At least SELs and TDIs see discs all around.

It doesn't get better. All models eschew the previous generation's fully independent suspension for a basic twist-beam rear axle.

This is some serious cost cutting.

We try to not be judgmental, so we set off on a drive route through the hills north of San Francisco with an open mind.

Jetta SELs come with a push button start; located just in front of the shift lever is a button that must be held down until the engine fires up; most similar arrangements require just a tap before the electronics take over. Other Jetta models use a standard key ignition.

Once we were moving, we discovered that we were pleased with the all-disc brake lineup. The brakes are powerful and easy to modulate. They feel like German car brakes. Very good, ja.

But something was amiss in the steering. The outgoing Jetta's steering is precise if a bit overboosted, but the new car simply feels vague. The light effort tiller offers little clue as to what is going on up front, even with the optional sport package that includes a more buttoned-down suspension.
When the road turned twisty, however, it quickly became evident that this Jetta is a reluctant dance partner. Even with the athletic suspension, we noticed lots of lean that, combined with the loose steering, didn't give us as much confidence as we would have liked.
Why you would buy it: $15,995 for a German-badged new car is a heckuva deal. Plus, it looks pretty darn sharp.

Why you wouldn't: Like us, you equate “German” with premium performance.

Leftlane's bottom line

In its quest to conquer the world, VW has brought out its most vanilla product ever. Gone are the things that made the Jetta special to those who cared: A luxury-class interior, upscale features and a driving experience that fell just short of an Audi. Instead, VW has created a Jetta for the masses – those who buy Corollas and Civics will find that they can take home a German product with a huge warranty and stylish looks for the same price.

We're optimistic that the upcoming Jetta GLI – due out early next year with a 2.0-liter turbocharged engine and an independent rear suspension – will renew our faith in the Jetta. And it's worth noting that the Jetta Sportwagen will continue as a facelifted version of the outgoing Jetta (including its premium features) for the foreseeable future.

For now, though, we're in mourning.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswagen-jetta-first-drive-review.html

You'll find pretty much the same review everywhere else.

So a cheap VW that looks like an Audi without the nice interior it used to have or the IRS, a pathetic 2.0 engine and drum brakes unless unless you pony up for the more expensive car, combined with passionate things like vague and numb steering, and body roll. Even with the sport suspension. Sure maybe the GLI will cure these problems, maybe even the cheap interior, but how much do you think that'll run you? If I apply some C&G logic, I'm sure you could get an Impala for less.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The new Corolla doesn't have IRS either. Higher-spec Jettas get softer door panel inserts and metal-look door trim. The Convenience Package on the SE gives you leather wrapped steering wheel, hand brake lever, and shift knob, as well as more silver detail pieces on the HVAC controls and soft-touch rubber on the steering wheel buttons. Dashboard remains hard in the US, unless you get the GLI.

I'm fairy disappointed by the new Jetta, as I feel VW could have made the cost-cutting less obvious. I sat in a Golf right after sitting in the Jetta, and the world car is built so much better than the North American one. At least the door still slams with a thunk...

the SEL i sat in had the same cheesy bad door panels as the others i think. they were bad.

interesting tidbit. i saw a new Jetta in the wild today. brown. i gotta say this, it looked pretty bad sitting there mixed in with other cars at the stoplight. it looked dated and bland, very generic, in fact it had all the charisma of a toyota.

totally has changed my mind on how i feel about the design of the car.

i thought that was interesting considering it doesn't look too bad on the lot surrounded by a bunch of other vw's.

needless to say, no buy a jetta for me. it has all the road presence of base model toyota. i will now classify the Jetta's design as the same level of epic fail as the chevy cruze's backseat and powertrains.

I am not one to perv on a dash, so I don't care if the dash shell is hard. Yes, there is a considerable amount of brightwork on the higher trim Jettas. Brightwork does not make it more functional, though. It does make it shinier, for those who want that.

A 16 year-old Prizm is not exactly known as a passionate car to drive. :lol:

it is if you are a consumer reports subscriber.

disclosure- i once owned a what would now be a 21 year old prism.....

Edited by regfootball

yesterday i saw another new Jetta out in the wild.

this time, white, must have been an SEL....a MUCH better impression. the turd brown color i saw the other day brought out everything bad in the car. the new Jetta in white in motion was not bad. Again, sort of a poor man's A4.

Not that the A4 is stunning.......

but the new Jetta in white made a much better cause for itself than the turd brown.

I just built a 2011 SEL Sport Manual, $23,765. I don't think a nicer car is available in this class. Make mine Candy White with Beige Pleather.

EDIT: just checked to be sure... the darling Fiesta has a rear beam axle and drum brakes... OMG!!!:o

Edited by ocnblu

Hey you know what's fun? Comparing cars which don't actually compete with each other. If you wan to do something wacky like actually compare competing vehicles, then you'll find that the 2012 Focus has a multilink rear suspension.

Having a steel girder out back may not exactly be sophisticated, but it is a step back from the last gen Jetta. More importantly is the way the car actually drives, and numb steering combined with pronounced body roll does not a "passionate" driver's car make.

I'll withhold final judgment until the GLi comes out, but being forced to shell out top dollar for a car that may actually drive well doesn't sound like a screaming bargain to me, which is kind of what VW was attempting to make this cost cut new car.

I wish VW wouldn't shaft us and send us over the Scirocco. Then you could have a Corolla that look an A4 and have something that is both passionate to drive as well as look at.

vw_scirocco_0-520x351.jpg

:wub:

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Hey you know what's fun? Comparing cars which don't actually compete with each other. If you wan to do something wacky like actually compare competing vehicles, then you'll find that the 2012 Focus has a multilink rear suspension.

Having a steel girder out back may not exactly be sophisticated, but it is a step back from the last gen Jetta. More importantly is the way the car actually drives, and numb steering combined with pronounced body roll does not a "passionate" driver's car make.

I'll withhold final judgment until the GLi comes out, but being forced to shell out top dollar for a car that may actually drive well doesn't sound like a screaming bargain to me, which is kind of what VW was attempting to make this cost cut new car.

I wish VW wouldn't shaft us and send us over the Scirocco. Then you could have a Corolla that look an A4 and have something that is both passionate to drive as well as look at.

Only the Focus and Civic have IRS. Everything else in its class has semi-independent rear suspension.

ocnblu's point is that the Fiesta drives well, yet it has a twist-beam in the back. Nothing wrong with that comparison. The famous MK1 Golf GTI didn't have IRS either. It all depends on how it's executed, and unless you've driven the new Jetta, you don't know how it handles. Automobile writes, "on back roads, the Jetta is composed, quiet, and capable, with fantastic steering and very good brakes."

For the record, VW still makes great cars (that Americans don't buy) like the Golf and GTI. The new Jetta is for people who are unwilling to pay the extra German premium.

Only the Focus and Civic have IRS. Everything else in its class has semi-independent rear suspension.

ocnblu's point is that the Fiesta drives well, yet it has a twist-beam in the back. Nothing wrong with that comparison. The famous MK1 Golf GTI didn't have IRS either. It all depends on how it's executed, and unless you've driven the new Jetta, you don't know how it handles. Automobile writes, "on back roads, the Jetta is composed, quiet, and capable, with fantastic steering and very good brakes."

For the record, VW still makes great cars (that Americans don't buy) like the Golf and GTI. The new Jetta is for people who are unwilling to pay the extra German premium.

You're forgetting the Mazda3 as well.

I didn't say non IRS cars can't handle well. Driven a Mustang lately? Hell, the Cobalt SS is one of the best driving FWD cars and its got a twist beam. But lets compare apples to apples for a change. C&G loves to compare Cruzes to Sonata and CTS to Bentleys. Let's try comparing two cars that actually compete with each other. So twist beam compacts...well there's the Corolla, Cobalt, Cruze, Elantra, Forte...none of these, in their normal form, are really passionate to drive. Funny coincidence that the cars which are an on the higher end of the fun to drive scale do have IRS.

Speaking of apples to apples, yes the new Jetta may drive ok, and sure it looks alright (if you're into that who looks like an A4 with a plainer looking version of the Scirocco's nose thing). But the key fact is that besides being bigger it isn't objectively a step up from the car it replaces. All in the name of making it a couple grand cheaper (whoopie) so they can whore it out more. It was built to a price not to be the best, and that's why I don't like it.

Sounds like old GM. If GM had pulled this stunt with the Cruze they would get crucified for it. The Cruze already gets crucified and its a much better car that the one it replaces, I can only imagine the hate it would get.

I know VW still makes good cars, I just posted one. But you have to wonder, based one this car, what's in store for the new, "Americanized" Passat.

If you like it, more power to you, although ocn you strike me as someone would would rather have a 3-door Golf. I don't and unless they're some serious upgrades across the board to the GLI, I'm not likely to.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Speaking of apples to apples, yes the new Jetta may drive ok, and sure it looks alright (if you're into that who looks like an A4 with a plainer looking version of the Scirocco's nose thing). But the key fact is that besides being bigger it isn't objectively a step up from the car it replaces. All in the name of making it a couple grand cheaper (whoopie) so they can whore it out more. It was built to a price not to be the best, and that's why I don't like it.

Sounds like old GM. If GM had pulled this stunt with the Cruze they would get crucified for it. The Cruze already gets crucified and its a much better car that the one it replaces, I can only imagine the hate it would get.

I know VW still makes good cars, I just posted one. But you have to wonder, based one this car, what's in store for the new, "Americanized" Passat.

+1

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I could post many positive reviews for the 2011 Jetta, but that takes time and energy I don't wish to spend on this. As far as I know, Volkswagen did not put an IRS under their Golf/Jetta until the Mk V... that's ONE generation. Not exactly a longstanding promise broken, now is it? And in generations past, these cars were known as fun to drive. They've been successful in road racing, far beyond what 90% of drivers will ever demand from their cars. So I am not worried in the least about the beam axle out back, or the drum brakes, as long as they work as well, and from what I've read, they do.

The Scirocco is a good looking car. If it had a beam axle it would still be good looking and be fun to drive, like the Sciroccos of the past.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

I'm not worked up over the rear suspension. Nearly any suspension type can be made to perform with the proper tuning......

Or did the Cobalt SS have a secretly installed I.R.S. when it took the title of fastest FWD car around the Nürburgring?

It's the interior styling/materials and exterior blandness that bother me.

that is a SMOKIN VW that needs to be in the USA, instead, VW is dumbing down their lineup and fattening it up, that alone should tell you what VW thinks of the USA....

I love that Scirocco....HOT HOT HOT

yesterday i saw another new Jetta out in the wild.

this time, white, must have been an SEL....a MUCH better impression. the turd brown color i saw the other day brought out everything bad in the car. the new Jetta in white in motion was not bad. Again, sort of a poor man's A4.

Not that the A4 is stunning.......

but the new Jetta in white made a much better cause for itself than the turd brown.

To me, stunning means we re-issue from the 1960's Pontiacs product lineup. Lacking that....

Audi to me has the best design sense of any car maker. GM and Ford are both very good, but the other car makers I like are Porsche and VW in terms of design.

I like the way Mazda's drive, but don't want to cruze around in a four thousand pound guppy. SMILE

that is a SMOKIN VW that needs to be in the USA, instead, VW is dumbing down their lineup and fattening it up, that alone should tell you what VW thinks of the USA....

I love that Scirocco....HOT HOT HOT

Agree!

I'm not worked up over the rear suspension. Nearly any suspension type can be made to perform with the proper tuning......

Or did the Cobalt SS have a secretly installed I.R.S. when it took the title of fastest FWD car around the Nürburgring?

It's the interior styling/materials and exterior blandness that bother me.

I agree with you. I have issues with even the outgoing car. Ergonomics somehow to me are much better in the Golf. Exterior blandness...ummm....yeah....not terrible, but a huge step backwards from the outgoing model.

Why don't you guys just drive one and get your own opinion? I bet most of you couldn't even tell the difference between the suspension differences.

I would when I race at the local autocross, but .02% of the population races their car.

IRS would be important for me though. The Miata has it and it has me spoiled.

• 3 months later...

The semi-circular hood cutout for the emblem is cheap.

Really? I've felt that since they took the time to design and stamp the badge cut-out into the hood instead of a straight edged panel made it seem more expensive to me.

The new Jetta appears quote large in person. Parked next to a current gen Passat, it rivalled the Passat in appeared size. Makes me feel the Passat "replacement" will be huge AND cheap.

Although it's unfortunate, VW dumbing down and fattening up their cars make them ideal and akin the vast majority of the American public. Fat, cheap, dumb.

It is sad we enthusiasts with passion are such a striking minority.

• Agree 1

Saw a new Jetta on the road for the first time a couple days ago..not bad looking.

So wait... I.R.S. makes your car handle well automatically?

I've got I.R.S. in the Toronado..... I should be able to take that new Jetta in an autocross right? right?

Really? thought those cars had a beam rear axle like FWD cars usually had back then.

Makes me feel the Passat "replacement" will be huge AND cheap. Although it's unfortunate, VW dumbing down and fattening up their cars make them ideal and akin the vast majority of the American public. Fat, cheap, dumb.

It is sad we enthusiasts with passion are such a striking minority.

I wouldn't judge too early. It's certainly bigger, but no more so than any other midsize sedan and everything is class-competitive regarding material quality and standard features. Meanwhile, with the 2.5L 5-cylinder you will remember from your Rabbit, it will hit 60 in 8.2 seconds and achieve 32 mpg. Your Rabbit, mind you, would hit 60 in 8 seconds flat, while returning only 30 mpg under the old EPA standards. Same engine, much bigger car, but look at the results. Volkswagen couldn't have fattened it up too much to make that possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't judge too early. It's certainly bigger, but no more so than any other midsize sedan and everything is class-competitive regarding material quality and standard features. Meanwhile, with the 2.5L 5-cylinder you will remember from your Rabbit, it will hit 60 in 8.2 seconds and achieve 32 mpg. Your Rabbit, mind you, would hit 60 in 8 seconds flat, while returning only 30 mpg under the old EPA standards. Same engine, much bigger car, but look at the results. Volkswagen couldn't have fattened it up too much to make that possible.

I was referring to actual size bloat. Not literal weight. Like how muscle weighs more than fat and all that.

I have spent some seat time in the new Jetta and I hate it's execution. My Golf V may have been heavier, but it was marginally swifter, a bit less efficient, but damn if it didn't have better interior surfaces and finishes. Oh, AND that IRS.

Personally I don't mind the lack of independent rear on the Jetta, but VW really ought to have had better interior execution and decontenting of other amenities. Like perhaps power mirrors, windows, locks, etc.

I certainly am not impressed with the 5 pot engine anyway. It needs more power for it's efficiency. I averaged around 28 mpg in my Golf V. That sucks.

And there is also a rub for me. A Jetta shouldn't be a freaking midsize car. And, aside from brand cachet; if I were shopping for a midsize car, the Sonata has the best mix of styling, features, material execution, and performance for the price. As a midsizer, the Jetta comes out desperately wanting. In many areas.

Edited by MyerShift

I wonder how the new Jetta is playing out in Der Vaterland. I'm sure the Germans appreciate the greater room for the cost, but outside size is more of a concern for them than it is here. Parking over there is best achieved in a SMART.

I was referring to actual size bloat. Not literal weight. Like how muscle weighs more than fat and all that.

I have spent some seat time in the new Jetta and I hate it's execution. My Golf V may have been heavier, but it was marginally swifter, a bit less efficient, but damn if it didn't have better interior surfaces and finishes. Oh, AND that IRS.

Personally I don't mind the lack of independent rear on the Jetta, but VW really ought to have had better interior execution and decontenting of other amenities. Like perhaps power mirrors, windows, locks, etc.

I certainly am not impressed with the 5 pot engine anyway. It needs more power for it's efficiency. I averaged around 28 mpg in my Golf V. That sucks.

And there is also a rub for me. A Jetta shouldn't be a freaking midsize car. And, aside from brand cachet; if I were shopping for a midsize car, the Sonata has the best mix of styling, features, material execution, and performance for the price. As a midsizer, the Jetta comes out desperately wanting. In many areas.

My comments were regarding the Passat, not the Jetta.

The Jetta is still thoroughly entrenched within the compact size class. Having gained a mere 3 inches over the outgoing model, its still half a foot shorter than the current Passat, and will soon be nearly a foot shorter than the new Passat. The Cruze trails the Jetta by just an inch, mind you.

My comments were regarding the Passat, not the Jetta.

The Jetta is still thoroughly entrenched within the compact size class. Having gained a mere 3 inches over the outgoing model, its still half a foot shorter than the current Passat, and will soon be nearly a foot shorter than the new Passat. The Cruze trails the Jetta by just an inch, mind you.

Ah. Excellent sir. I couldn't tell directly due to vague wording. Regardless, today's supposedly small cars are far too big. Like the current Civic being larger/same size as past Accords. Either you want a small car or you don't.

My apologies, BV.

I wonder how the new Jetta is playing out in Der Vaterland. I'm sure the Germans appreciate the greater room for the cost, but outside size is more of a concern for them than it is here. Parking over there is best achieved in a SMART.

Jetta sells so little over there I don't think the Jetta size there has much negative impact.

In relation to the US market, the Jetta is still and is still marketed as a compact, and in that aspect, to the sedan buyer....the interior size is a major selling point.

The Jetta is not trying to be a midsize. It just says, hey we are a compact with SOME actual leg room in the back.

Remember, the new Passat is coming.

Besides, most Jettas that have been sold in the last ten years are puff cruisers, and a lot to chicks / women and others who really only wanted a mall cruiser. VERY FEW Jettas buyers have been performance minded.

Edited by regfootball