Powertrain combinations

All right, since this is completely opinionated here.....I personally believe that a bulletproof engine/transmission combination is the Chevrolet 350 strapped behind a THM400 transmission. Great power, reliability out of this world and simplicity all day long. Now y'all take a swing at it. What do you think is the best engine/transmission combination to be used by General Motors so far?

You have a point.

I might add any Olds Rocket V8 backed up by that same TH400 RWD 3 speed.

No personal experience.

My Dad did at one time have this combo and it was bullet proof:

250 inline six in a Pontiac LeMans with a TH350 behind it. My theory is that the straight 6 did not produce the torque to upset the TH350 which have failed when mated to "torquier" engines.

My Dad heard one person he knew curse a Pontiac lemon he owned so he swore he'd never have one. Then he got this car and it was probably the most hassle free car he owned...probably more so than several Oldsmobiles that were in the family at one time or another.

Some of my favorites:

327/350 SBC - M22 4-speed manual (Muncie Rock Crusher)

LS1 - 6-speed manual (4th gen. F-body)

Northstar (in any RWD configuration)

454 BBC - Super T10 4-speed

hmm ive driven the 3.9 wuth the 6 speed and its really nice, also any ls4 powered car or truck, id more have to choose gm combos i dont like lol, i like the 3.4 4t45 combo in my alero. I love the 3.5 in my folks intrigue but I dont like the gearing of the tranny ewith it, 3 to 4th grear is ti much of a jump.

The 3.5 litre and 5 speed auto in my girlfriend's 2005 Saturn Vue is the best engine transmission I have ever driven in a GM vehicle.  Bar None!

Um...shouldn't you be congratulating Honda? I guess you could give props to GM for getting Honda to agree to sell them a $h!load of engines I guess. It is a great combo though.

• 2 weeks later...

Olds 260 V8 behind THM 350 trans in my 1981 Cutlass. The engine made so little power as so never hurt it'self or the trans. The 260 is esentially an Olds rocket 350 with smaller bores and uses all the same hd internals. I got rid of that Cutlass with close to 300K without ever having the motor or trans out. Another very bullet proof combo is the Buick 3300 V6 tied to the THM 125 3 speed automatic. I can't even remember all the people that used to get well over 200K out of those without ever even removing a valve cover gasket. Of course good service was key to these long living combos.