Bigger is Better: Mitsubishi's US-Spec Wide-Bodied i-MiEV Revealed Ahead of LA Show

Bigger is Better: Mitsubishi's US-Spec Wide-Bodied i-MiEV Revealed Ahead of LA Show

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 08, 2010

Mitsubishi-iMiEV-01.jpg

These are the first official photos of the North American version of Mitsubishi's i-MiEV all-electric city, which will have its world premiere at the Los Angeles Auto Show, to be held from Wednesday, November 17 to Sunday November 28.

Even though big ideas can come in small packages, for most things in America, consumers believe that "bigger is better" and "better is bigger". And seeing what happened with Mercedes-Benz and its Smart Fortwo mini, Mitsubishi decided to "fatten-up" the North American version of the i-MiEV, and make it bigger than its Japanese- and European-spec counterparts.

"[The i-MiEV] features an enhanced, enlarged body structure to secure plenty of space for four adults and better meet the expectations of U.S. consumers," said Mitsubishi in a statement.

With this and that, the wider and longer US-Spec i-MiEV measures 3,680 mm / 144.9" (+258mm or +9.8") in length, 1,585 mm / 62.4" (+110mm or +4.3") in width, 1,615 mm / 63.6" (+5mm or +0.2") in height.

In addition to the larger frame, the North American-spec i-MiEV gets a new set of front and rear bumpers as well as some interior changes.

Mitsubishi has not yet released details on the U.S. model's electric-drivetrain. The smaller JDM version of the plug-in EV is powered by an electric motor with 64HP (47kW) and 180Nm (132.8-lbs/ft) of maximum torque, driving the rear wheels. A full charge of the lithium-ion batteries is said to offer a driving range of up to 100 miles or 160 km.

link:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/11/bigger-is-better-mitsubishi-us-spec.html

LA PREVIEW: MITSUBISHI I-MIEV GETS U.S. STYLE

By Andrew Ganz

News broke that Mitsubishi’s city-oriented i-MiEV electric vehicle was headed to North America several years ago, but the automaker has finally spilled the beans on its homologated model today. Set to debut next week at the Los Angeles Auto Show, the i-MiEV receives a handful of styling and functional upgrades for the North American market.

The North American i-MiEV receives an upsized structure compared to its Japanese and European-specification siblings for more interior room and to better meet our different safety standards. The most obvious exterior changes are its bumpers, which contribute to a roughly 11-inch longer overall length. Flared fenders help the i-MiEV grow about four inches in width. Height is mostly unchanged – a minor 0.2 inch increase thanks to a revised suspension.

North American specifications haven’t been confirmed, but we aren’t expecting many changes over the Japanese model’s 64-horsepower electric motor mounted below the floor behind the second row of seats. Mitsubishi gives the Japanese model an 80 mile range with a 16 kWh battery pack and a 100 mile range with a larger 20 kWh battery pack.

A base price south of $30,000 is anticipated. The i-MiEV will qualify for $7,500 in federal incentives in the United States.

Look for Mitsubishi to announce more details on its first EV in North America next week at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mitsubishi-i-miev.html

They look pretty cool.  They need to show this in a bold color like bright red or yellow rather than boring silver.

I'm curious to see how they function... it's almost as though the passenger-side wiper looks like it'll extend and wipe high.  Could be my imagination.  Or maybe only one wiper works on an "eco" mode to conserve the battery LOL

And there you have it.... a recent, highly-dubious trend has finally reached it's apparent climax :

car headlights have been slowly sliming their way up the fenders like luminescent slugs,

until FINALLY (YAY "progress"!!) they've broken into the windshield 'perimeter'.

Absolutely stunning design work!

I'm curious to see how they function... it's almost as though the passenger-side wiper looks like it'll extend and wipe high.  Could be my imagination.  Or maybe only one wiper works on an "eco" mode to conserve the battery LOL

I think it's like that because the windshield is tall and narrow...too narrow for conventional wiper placement. I'm surprised they didn't use a single central wiper like the older Merc E-class did.

And there you have it.... a recent, highly-dubious trend has finally reached it's apparent climax :

car headlights have been slowly sliming their way up the fenders like luminescent slugs,

until FINALLY (YAY "progress"!!) they've broken into the windshield 'perimeter'.

Yep, bold and futuristic design.

Well, if they can just put the headlights behind the window glass, then you no longer need the separate plastic enclosures. And you can change the bulbs while driving.

Knowing how hard it is to keep painted surfaces shiny, and how glass on old rusty wrecks always seems nice looking, I'm awaiting the car which has virtually all of its body panels done in glass.

Yep, bold and futuristic design.

Of course you favor it- it's not domestic; therefore it's +1, bold and futuristic... never awkward, ill-concieved or just plain stylistically ignorant. Almost forgot- never 'generic', either. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, this is yet another entry in the burgeoning cesspool of insect-inspired, asian oddball school of design, along with other 'bold, futuristic' ugliness like the cube & juke.

I'll peal the bell again here. With CAFE dictating nearly every design parameter.... in order to cater to the Pavlovian expectation of !NEW! hardwired by marketing into the subconsciousness of most every individual, the industry as a whole is forced to do SOMETHING as a gesture that 'things are moving forward', resulting in increasing examples of the awkward, the mis-proportioned, the ungainly and the non-aspirational. I have no doubt that cues from those 'frozen explosion' minivans so popular in Japan are on they're way here all too soon. :nono:

Of course you favor it- it's not domestic; therefore it's +1, bold and futuristic... never awkward, ill-concieved or just plain stylistically ignorant. Almost forgot- never 'generic', either. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, this is yet another entry in the burgeoning cesspool of insect-inspired, asian oddball school of design, along with other 'bold, futuristic' ugliness like the cube & juke.

I'll peal the bell again here. With CAFE dictating nearly every design parameter.... in order to cater to the Pavlovian expectation of !NEW! hardwired by marketing into the subconsciousness of most every individual, the industry as a whole is forced to do SOMETHING as a gesture that 'things are moving forward', resulting in increasing examples of the awkward, the mis-proportioned, the ungainly and the non-aspirational. I have no doubt that cues from those 'frozen explosion' minivans so popular in Japan are on they're way here all too soon. :nono:

I was being sarcastic. But it is clearly futuristic, definitely doesn't reference anything from the past. It's a modern city vehicle..there are consumers that a car like this is perfect for.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Asked my 13-yr old son. Immediate first comment : "Eww."

Me: "What's the matter with it?"

Him "It's ugly."

Me: "What don't you like about it?"

Him: "I hate the way the roof rounds down into the front {instead of a 2-box design}, and just... no."

I can see, perhaps, the elderly, who generally are less discriminative about what a vehicle 'says' about them possibly considering this...

but I have to believe that this hot mess is lost on the entire youth demo (despite my uber-small sampling).

This, to me, is 'futuristic', and has great proportion/fluidity in the side view. Yikes, I actually LIKE it in profile.

I would of course never own one, but it's not offensive in design.

Obviously it's a concept car, and maybe that's exactly why it's so very slick.

Honda Puyo:

2830884288_16e27455be_o.jpg

This is just 'not even trying' :

Mitsubishi-iMiEV-01.jpg

Edited by balthazar

That itty-bitty Ford is a standout. The coolest tiny car I've seen. I understand it may inspire the next Ka.

It would be cool to see a production car like that here..I love the greenhouse. Is it just me, or does something about the glass treatment remind one of the Studebaker Starlight coupe from around 1950?

IMO, I get a Mini-vibe from the greenhouse- how the roof is completely separated from the body by glass & chrome (black in the case of the Mini). Not seeing the Stude in it, Cubitar.

Something about the curvature of the roof and the back glass gives me an impression of the ancient Studie...though I don't think I've ever seen one of those in person. I don't see any Mini resembalance, since the Mini has it's pillars hidden in black..the Ford has the chrome and very thin pillars.

50 Studie

Here's my beef (aside from what others have already stated)

Why the F*CK do all cars have to look as if they're smiling now?!?!

Let us drive our HAPPY, energy efficient cars through the peaceful, war-banning abiss to nauseum that births apathetic death.

I miss the pissed off cars (my '73 Camaro, My '99 Mustang, the F4s, that gorgeous B-59 that balthy owns, etc.)

BTW, that small Ford is pretty awesome.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM