Where is my cruise control...

I went to build a model today. Found out you can't get cruise control on an LS or Eco model... can this be right? Chevy, what are you smoking?

If this is correct it is a dealbreaker for me.

Just looked and according to the Chevy website, it's not available on the LS, but available on the Eco.

YEAH, THIS HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP!!!!!!!!!

CHEVY DOESN'T WANT YOU TO BUY THE CHEAPER MODELS (LS)!

I had to pull teeth and run a triathalon just to find a manual trans Cobalt with ABS and cruise, PW PL and keyless this last year. Had to go all the way up to an LT.

Apparently GM still thinks car drivers don't value cruise control. Or, they simply are trying to extort more cash out of you by forcing you to go to a more expensive model.

THIS IS 2011! CRUISE CONTROL SHOULD BE STANDARD ON ALL CARS!!!!!!!!!

just like ABS / stability control / PW PL PM / keyless entry.

this is just an example of decontenting and some of GM's residual epic fails that are still around.

I would love for someone to explain any good reason or apology for GM why this is.

Edited by regfootball

Just looked and according to the Chevy website, it's not available on the LS, but available on the Eco.

If that's the case, then either their websites are inconsistent with one another, or they offer different options to Canadians.

Eco doesn't show cruise as an option on the Canadian website.

Also, interestingly, Eco doesn't show up as an trim level at all when you do 'build + price'.

YEAH, THIS HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP!!!!!!!!!

CHEVY DOESN'T WANT YOU TO BUY THE CHEAPER MODELS (LS)!

I had to pull teeth and run a triathalon just to find a manual trans Cobalt with ABS and cruise, PW PL and keyless this last year. Had to go all the way up to an LT.

Apparently GM still thinks car drivers don't value cruise control. Or, they simply are trying to extort more cash out of you by forcing you to go to a more expensive model.

THIS IS 2011! CRUISE CONTROL SHOULD BE STANDARD ON ALL CARS!!!!!!!!!

just like ABS / stability control / PW PL PM / keyless entry.

this is just an example of decontenting and some of GM's residual epic fails that are still around.

I would love for someone to explain any good reason or apology for GM why this is.

Same crap gets done all over though... Try getting a 2011 Jetta with the same options. You will find yourself $5k over the starting price.

ABS, I totally agree with you. Should be standard.

I could definately do without stability control. That's not even something I consider.

I'd be willing to do without PW PL PM / Keyless, depending on how much the option was.

Cruise should be standard.

As should small rims. I hate hubcaps, and many trim levels on many cars come with nothing but hubcaps.

Cruise is not standard (or available) on the Jetta S. It's available on the Jetta SE which is $2,100 more than base.

Cruise is only available as part of a $1,700 option package on the base Elantra

Cruise is only available as part of a $505 option package on the base Corolla and only on the Automatic version which is $1000 more than the manual.

Cruise is not at all available on the base Sentra. The minimum package for cruise on a Sentra is the S model - which is roughly $2,000 more than base.

where's the outrage?

Every company wants a cheap car to advertise and decontenting is the way to do it.

Cruise is one of the options they can remove and usally can get away with. You would be suprised how many people never or seldom use it.

Companies are looking to cut corners anywhere they can to keep the price down in a slow market.

Cruise is not standard (or available) on the Jetta S. It's available on the Jetta SE which is $2,100 more than base.

Cruise is only available as part of a $505 option package on the base Corolla and only on the Automatic version which is $1000 more than the manual.

Cruise is not at all available on the base Sentra. The minimum package for cruise on a Sentra is the S model - which is roughly $2,000 more than base.

where's the outrage?

Wait a minute... S? SE? They have different trims in the US? Wierd... they call the Jetta/Golf trims "Comfortline", "Sportline" etc. here.

...and cruise can only be had on the one $4k more than the base model. Again, that pisses me off.

Cruise is one of the options they can remove and usally can get away with. You would be suprised how many people never or seldom use it.

I'm trying to picture where you would live that you wouldn't use cruise... a city without any highways maybe??

I'd say about half of my Cobalt's 200,000 km have been spent in cruise. Driving long distances without it would be a pain.

(All prices from the Canadian website)

My outrage is that the base price is $15k. Eco starts at $19.5k and doesn't offer cruise. If Eco offers cruise, then I have no real issue.

In the U.S. site, Cruise control is available on the Cruze Eco as part of the USB/Bluetooth/Cruise package for $505,

From the Chevy website:

Connectivity Plus Cruise Package, includes cruise control, Bluetooth for phone, USB port located in center console, steering wheel-mounted audio controls, leather-wrapped shift knob and leather-wrapped steering wheel. Required with 6-speed automatic transmission is ordered.

Conversely - if you select the automatic transmission, you must also select the connectivity package.... effectively making cruise standard on automatic Cruzes.

Same crap gets done all over though... Try getting a 2011 Jetta with the same options. You will find yourself $5k over the starting price.

that too!

a 5 cyl jetta with auto and anything resembling well equipped is either 21k USD or 23K USD.

i actually have sort of come around on the notion of the Cruze's MSRP's in lower equipment levels really not being that far off base. Still too pricey when you can get a deeply discounted Mazda6 or Altima for 16-17k with more equipment or the same equipment.

where's the outrage?

(pricking all the manufacturer voodoo dolls in the car shrine)

its a criticism that is valid for all the cheapskates.

Chevy's box though, is if you want an LS the cruise is not even an option. What if some folks are turbo leery? And just want the base model?

I'd like a Cruze Eco myself but I would want to swap the tires for something more sticky.

Edited by regfootball

Every company wants a cheap car to advertise and decontenting is the way to do it.

Companies are looking to cut corners anywhere they can to keep the price down in a slow market.

Chevy should have made a true to concept Aveo hatch with the doors redone as suicide 3 door coupe style on that concept hatch design, and then made an option of rear seats optional like the old Chevette Scooter.

Except, turbo 4 and 6 speed manual. That is one car I could accept without cruise control if it meant keeping the price low.

The Cruze is different though, on the LS they should give you the option.

Wait a minute... S? SE? They have different trims in the US? Wierd... they call the Jetta/Golf trims "Comfortline", "Sportline" etc. here.

...and cruise can only be had on the one $4k more than the base model. Again, that pisses me off.

I'm trying to picture where you would live that you wouldn't use cruise... a city without any highways maybe??

I'd say about half of my Cobalt's 200,000 km have been spent in cruise. Driving long distances without it would be a pain.

what will actually happen......

midyear when they really start discounting the Cruze, you will find that the LT1 with turbo will have deeper discounts than the LS most likely. The price difference between the LS (no cruize) and the LT will not be quite as much. The extra benefit of the turbo mill and other LT goodies will be much less a step up.

LS exists only so Chevy dealers can print loss leader prices in the paper.

I almost never use cruise control due to varying traffic conditions.

Ya, it's pretty much only on road trips on wide-open interstates that I use cruise control. Never in my usual commute..it's a 'nice to have' but not essential to me.