Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Escalade Wins King Bling battle: Motor Trend

jrockb4

In the latest Motor Trend, they do a king of bling competition between the new Esc ($66k) and the $93k as tested supercharged Range Rover. They tested the vehicles in there regular mode (performance, fit and finish etc) and then looked that the bling factoer (wheel size, chrome, side vents, TV's, nav screen size). The Escalade was definitely the perofmance king in every category except braking and off road ability. They were also quite pleased with the ride and handling inspite of the 22 inch wheels. They gave high marks to the interior and design. All in all the Escalade seemed to be the hands down winner even when price was not taken into consideration. They mentioned that they could have tested a more Escalade priced HSE ($76k) model, but that would probably have been too easy of a win for the Escalade. :lol::ohyeah::thumbsup: Bring on the big Lexus LX470 and all other comers.

I agree, the RR is a magnificent machine. Unreliable, (from what I have heard) but magnificent nonetheless. (On an unrelated note, didn't Land Rover recently merge completely from BMW ownership to Ford ownership?)

The RR will always be the pinnacle of offroad capability and technology, so the escalade falling short in that arena is no suprise. The exterior of the RR is just as beautiful as the interior, and that supercharger just makes it all that much better. I'm suprised how many supercharged models I've seen lately...it seems every RR I see now is a supercharged variant.

It's good to see the escalade being so competitive and succeeding (even if it was a "bling factor" comparison). It's deffinitely a great SUV and I can't wait to see more comparisons with it. On the other hand, when it comes down to my favorite SUV, the RR would win hands down. One day, my future garage will have atleast 2 SUV's, one being the RR, the other being an H1 :AH-HA_wink:

One day, my future garage will have atleast 2 SUV's, one being the RR, the other being an H1

In all likelyhood, based on long-running reports, your garage will have an H1 but the Rover service department garage will have your RR. ;)

I fail to see how bottom of the barrel quality could ever be termed either sophisticated or magnificent.

Guy I work for sometimes is a multi-millionaire. Buys a brand new Silverado 2500HD Duramax every year- loaded. You should see how he sneers at his brothers RR- not an ounce of envy there. I've walked around the RR- can't say I disagree -esp considering the price tag. Completely overhyped (at the curb, anyway). I would never waste my money on it.

Like I mentioned, I agree that it is very unreliable, but I've driven in them a couple times and they have beautiful interiors and are very comfortable vehicles. To each his own I guess. Remember, I don't drive a BMW for its reliability. :P

Them domestic bandwagon humpers... ugh.  :P

With regard to design and class, the Range Rover still shines. It has a degree of sophistication and elegance and cool not found in the Escalade, IMO.

RRs have incredible presence, and the interior oozes refinement, class, and sophistication. Escalade is not a bad second choice, and whatever little it loses in class it makes up for in sheer value and performance. However, those things are not usually as important to high end shoppers as sophistication and magnificence.

One day, my future garage will have atleast 2 SUV's, one being the RR, the other being an H1

In all likelyhood, based on long-running reports, your garage will have an H1 but the Rover service department garage will have your RR. ;)

I fail to see how bottom of the barrel quality could ever be termed either sophisticated or magnificent.

Guy I work for sometimes is a multi-millionaire. Buys a brand new Silverado 2500HD Duramax every year- loaded. You should see how he sneers at his brothers RR- not an ounce of envy there. I've walked around the RR- can't say I disagree -esp considering the price tag. Completely overhyped (at the curb, anyway). I would never waste my money on it.

Which generation RR does he have? The '03-to-present ones have been very reliable.

Really? I've heard there has been nothing but problems with them and they're always in the shop. Of course, that may very well be the pre-03 models.

Probably; the second gen models ('95-'02) were as luxurious and sophisticated as a Ford Exploder, and they were inherently uncool.

The millionaire's brother's rover is brand new. I don't know the guy and he hardly comes around, but like I said, I gave it a good slow walk-around the one day and sitting parked: the vehicle is nothing special whatsoever. It's nice, esp if it was $45K (what is it; double that?), but it's far from 'magnificent' and 'sophisticated'. Unless you guys are referring to in-motion aspects, you are really splitting atoms on this one.

It's ironic- this thing is supposed to be some sort of big deal offroad, but the brother won't even drive it up the paved driveway- he's afraid of the dust or maybe getting a stone chip.

RRs have incredible presence, and the interior oozes refinement, class, and sophistication. Escalade is not a bad second choice, and whatever little it loses in class it makes up for in sheer value and performance. However, those things are not usually as important to high end shoppers as sophistication and magnificence.

But of course, NO domestics could EVER match or best an import... (Eventhough LR is domestic too---people just aren't smart enough to know it)

If I were buying a luxury SUV, it's be a **VERY** tough call between the Escalade and the Range Rover Sport (Which has A LOT of presence)

The millionaire's brother's rover is brand new. I don't know the guy and he hardly comes around, but like I said, I gave it a good slow walk-around the one day and sitting parked: the vehicle is nothing special whatsoever. It's nice, esp if it was $45K (what is it; double that?), but it's far from 'magnificent' and 'sophisticated'. Unless you guys are referring to in-motion aspects, you are really splitting atoms on this one.

It's ironic- this thing is supposed to be some sort of big deal offroad, but the brother won't even drive it up the paved driveway- he's afraid of the dust or maybe getting a stone chip.

Well.... You know how that goes. I mean, there's nothing really special OR that nice about an Acura or Lexus either but people are brainwashed otherwise.

Oh, if that's what you mean, the $39K LR3 would satisfy the "good slow walk-around" test as well.

Posted Image

"...as well"?

Did you miss that I was hardly bowled over and that I found it far from magnificent?

No LR3: it was the range rover; he paid $90K. This guy knows little self control- also reportedly via the brother; he has 'gone thru' a million dollars in automobiles in the last 12 years.

"...as well"?

Did you miss that I was hardly bowled over and that I found it far from magnificent?

No LR3: it was the Range Rover; he paid $90K. This guy knows little self control- also reportedly via the brother; he has 'gone thru' a million dollars in automobiles in the last 12 years.

Okay then... replace it with "...similarly".

Surprisingly the Motor Trend Article was pretty good and fair. They indicated the fact that the Escalade is missing the tilt/telescoping wheel that this price class should have, as well as the smart key found in many cars from the Prius to Cadillac's own STS.

All in all I agree. Even when price isn't an issue - the Escalade is hands down better. When you compare the interior pics, the Escalade looks better integrated while the RR looks very cluttered.

I'll take an Escalade ESV in black. Thank you.

NO surprise there... Range Rovers and Land Rovers

are overpriced POS tinbuckets these days. Just

another overpriced Ford.

(alright I'm exagerating but not much)

NO surprise there... Range Rovers and Land Rovers

are overpriced POS tinbuckets these days. Just

another overpriced Ford.

(alright I'm exagerating but not much)

Nah, Land Rover, like most of the successful lines in Ford's family, has maintained pretty good autonomy from the parent company. Besides, the current Range is a BMW design.

Hmm, both are very impressive vehicles, although I hear Land Rovers in general are very unreliable. Both have an amazing presence, but when you think of how much more your getting for the money with the slade, the escalade wins hands down. On the other hand, I can count on one hand how many new Range Rovers i have seen hear in North Dakota. One of the college deans at school has a beautiful white one that I see almost every day, but other than that they are not all that common up here. That is what makes me want one so bad. I'm pretty sure that it will be my first vehicle once i graduate, given that the next model looks as magnificent. But anyway, good article. I was going to let my Motor Trend subscription run out in July....ill have to think about that.

I've been seeing new Range Rovers, especially the Sport model, all over California. I think the new Escalade will become a very familiar sight also. I took another look at the new Escalade the other day. It's impressive inside and out. I'd really like take a new GMT900 out for a drive to see how GM tightened things up.

I read this review and I was disappointed by another slight from MotorTrend. Rather than just say the Escalade is a better product than the RR, Motortrend goes out of its way to water down the positive aspects of the Escalade by talking about nothing but "bling".

How about they review a Honda Civic and talk all day long about how it's the "king of rice" or something? Oh no, that would be unfair and possibly racist, but it's OK to insult Escalade buyers and lump them with ganster rappers.

Whatever, more evidence of media bias.

Mark