Radios...

Which one do you prefer to show up on your radio?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer to show up on your radio?

• Icons
    • English

Doesn't apply to nav radios, but plain jane ones.

I always find writing English on the buttons was rather stupid, especially when they want to go global. I much prefer the ones we have up here in Canada, where we replace all English with icons.

Also troublesome is that last time I saw a nice six disc changer unit for cheap, but I couldn't get it because all the buttons were different, and if I install it, it would look odd.

Why don't they just make one radio with different firmware for metric and imperial units, and bother with the buttons?? Waste of development costs if you ask me.

Edited by ToniCipriani

This is one of those "I don't really care" things. Obviously English is easier for an ign'ant American like myself, but if the radio uses symbols and I can't figure out what it means, I'll consult the owner's manual.

i don't really prefer either way i guess, i just think that some of the symbols they come up are pretty dumb lookin'. I always thought that the cruise symbol that gm started using was pretty dumb looking, but i guess it is hard to come up with something else that makes sense.

"Doesn't apply to nav radios, but plain jane ones."

I've heard of Bose and a few others, but who makes "Plane Jane" radios?

"I always find writing English on the buttons was rather stupid, especially when they want to go global. I much prefer the ones we have up here in Canada, where we replace all English with icons."

The buttons on my CTS were "pre-written", so I don't have to write in english on them. Besides, I thought they replaced "English" with "French" in Canada.

"Also troublesome is that last time I saw a nice six disc changer unit for cheap, but I couldn't get it because all the buttons were different, and if I install it, it would look odd."

Shouldn't all the buttons be different? If they were all the same, it would just do one thing no matter what button you pushed.

"Why don't they just make one radio with different firmware for metric and imperial units, and bother with the buttons??"

If there were no buttons, it would have to be voice activated, then what would you speak in ......... English or Metric?

Sorry Toni! I just made a pot of Chilli and when I make chilli, I drink beer as I make the chilli. So if my comments seem goofy, it must be the chilli.

I've heard of Bose and a few others, but who makes "Plane Jane" radios?

i.e. Delcos and etc.

The buttons on my CTS were "pre-written", so I don't have to write in english on them. Besides, I thought they replaced "English" with "French" in Canada.

No. We have icons on them. Not everybody speaks French here, only some Ontarians and Quebecois.

Shouldn't all the buttons be different? If they were all the same, it would just do one thing no matter what button you pushed.

Duh... Problem is, all the other buttons in my car will have icons, then only the radio is all English. Looks bad.

If there were no buttons, it would have to be voice activated, then what would you speak in  ......... English or Metric?

Apparently GM doesn't have voice activated radios yet, except for OnStar. And AFAIK OnStar is programmable.

Sorry Toni! I just made a pot of Chilli and when I make chilli, I drink beer as I make the chilli. So if my comments seem goofy, it must be the chilli.

:AH-HA_wink:

I say icons. It avoids strange word choices and different international spelling. I always thought the "Check Gages" on the Suburban looked so funny - we spell it "gauges"

I spell it 'gauges' also... 'Gages' must be a GM thing?

I really could care less... :huh: Icons are icons and english is english. I can see and understand both clearly. Although... I'm into the aftermarket (new car for me? not very soon) and my Clarion has mostly words written in english. Some are in Canadian, but it doesn't bother me... :D

Press 1 for English....

either is fine, what would be cool is for the user to be able to program what buttons are for what funtions and then have the buttons to be 'dynamically labelled' and set to each driver's preference.

touch screens and large flat panel displays would make that a cinch.

Edited by regfootball

All kidding aside, the NAV on the Trailblazer has the stupidest mix of english and icons. The icons are on the right side of the screen controlling Nav functions and the english is on the left, controlling the radio, CD, Nav and audio functions.

However, the CD and audio buttions are symbols and the rest are english. This is really stupid! Almost as stupid as the NAV/radio/dic buttons on the CTS. What a complicated mess.

I have adult male fingers and need buttons that are large enough to fit them, not the tiny little buttons on the CTS.

Reg is right. Give me a touch screen and some programable buttons, or make the voice activation controls easier to use.

I really don't care for touch screens... I like the tactile feel of buttons/knobs that I can use without looking at them. I'm a fan of recent Chrysler radios--the controls in my Jeep are very intuitive--I can change the station, volume, CD track, etc all without taking my hands off the wheel (controls on the backside of the wheel)....the head unit is high in the center stack and a short reach, with distinct knobs for each function.

Though I have yet to own a vehicle with a NAV system... maps still work fine for me, though I'm sure I'll buy something sooner or later w/ NAV.

Edited by moltar