Gas Strike

Satty

According to Facebook, today is the gas strike. You're not supposed to go buy gas in order to send a message to big oil or something stupid. Apparently they don't realize that reduced use will lead to lower prices, not putting off a purchase for a day? I may go get gas out of spite.

Edited by Satty

Hey I'm cheering those people on: lower prices for me.

You think it will lower prices even 9/10ths of a cent?

Well, that little 9 at the end of the prices is becoming harder and harder to scrape together these days.

Yeah, I got that 'invite' too

I really don't see how people think one day is going to make a difference.

I guess it's the psychology of just not feeling helpless. The gas situation is out of everyone's control, so they figure they'll assert themselves and gain back some control. (eventhough it's theoretical)

I think it's a waste of time.

I just tell people to walk or ride a bike or take the bus if they dont want to pay gas prices. You'd think I was telling them to drink baby blood.

As for the psychology, I equate it to ordering a Diet Coke with your bacon double cheeseburger and large fries.

Edited by Satty
  • Agree 1

These are the same people who set their social media avatar to a different picture for one day of the year, thinking they're making a difference about child poverty/hunger.

Hey now...I changed mine to support the Middle East a few weeks ago...sometimes it's worth it to spread awareness/show support.

It's one thing to show support or to actually do something about an issue. It's another to make it your avatar for a day, and then go on not caring for the other 364 days.

At least that's how I view it, cynic that I am. :P

Well I'm certainly not flying to Libya to stand in solidarity with the protesters while getting fired at.

You think it will lower prices even 9/10ths of a cent?

I question why they bother with the 9/10s any more. I bet the 9/10ths was a strike of genius when gas was 19.9 cents a gallon... you are "tricking" somebody into paying almost 5% more. But at 4.99 9/10s a gallon, its 18 cents on a $99.80 fill-up. 0.18%... Granted, that adds up, but I imagine it barely pays for the extra signage, hassle and perhaps the precision of the equipment needed to pass weights and measures.