Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Edmunds: 2006 Honda Civic Si vs. 2006 VW GTI

First Place:

2006 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

MSRP of Test Vehicle: $20,540

What Works:

Sharp reflexes, powerful engine, brilliant limited-slip differential.

What Needs Work:

Wring-it-out power delivery, awful dashboard design, questionable exterior styling.

Bottom Line:

Fast, cheap and effective.

Posted Image

Second Place:

2006 Volkswagen GTI New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

MSRP of Test Vehicle: $24,175

What Works:

Flexible engine, usable shape, excellent combination of utility and performance.

What Needs Work:

Too heavy, too pricey, not as sharp as its competition.

Bottom Line:

The new GTI is a huge improvement over the car it replaces. Depending on your priorities, it might just be the better car for you.

Posted Image

Full article: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...25/pageId=69488

What a f**kin' surprise ehh?

Every other auot rag in america illustrates how the GTI whips the weak ass Si all over the place, yet Edmunds has a completely different take that isn't grounded in reality... I swear, anymore, I'm beginning to think they're as bad as Consumer Reports... What's with the big Japan Inc. push lately???

It's interesting they didn't test a Cobalt SS SC or an ION RL, or even the new SRT4. They would all be better performers, but all would also have worse interiors.

Nah... First of all that might introduce the **RISK** that an american car might win a comparo (Although I'm sure they would 'bull$h!' it into second or third with 'subjective' and 'feel') and 2) that would go against the media's STAUNCH policy of shedding POSITIVE PR on any of the big three. (Even the new products are beginning to get ignored)

What a f**kin' surprise ehh?

Every other auot rag in america illustrates how the GTI whips the weak ass Si all over the place, yet Edmunds has a completely different take that isn't grounded in reality... I swear, anymore, I'm beginning to think they're as bad as Consumer Reports... What's with the big Japan Inc. push lately???

Nah... First of all that might introduce the **RISK** that an american car might win a comparo (Although I'm sure they would 'bull$h!' it into second or third with 'subjective' and 'feel') and 2) that would go against the media's STAUNCH policy of shedding POSITIVE PR on any of the big three. (Even the new products are beginning to get ignored)

They're not praising all the cars. They burned the Yaris they just tested pretty good.

I'm looking forward to a shootout between the Mazdaspeed3 and the Caliber SRT-4

Two valid points, yes the Civic dashboard is hideous, finally someone fesses up instead of saying its revolutionary. What a clusterf*ck of a design. Second, the GTi seems to be getting quite portly, please VW come out with something stripped out or down for a lower price with a little more HP, that would be kickass!!

although i sneer at almost anything the auto press writes nowadays, I will stand by Car and Driver's (or was it road and track) take on these two cars. They liked the VW and have been only casually positive on the 130+ ib.-ft. Civic.

For me the VW the obviously extremely more desirable.

Like others I also see the Caliber SRT and Mazdaspeed3 and Cobalt SS variants being something more worth looking forward to. And the new Sentra bounds to impress and has the look of a real car. Not a video game wrapped in sheet metal with tires.

Last I checked also, the WRX and 9-2x and S40 were quite nice compacts as well.

To me, the Civic doesn't register on any sort of desirability scale at all.

engine-nope. no torque

looks- nope. too immature.

utility- nope too small and cramped

dash and interior- um, no. see above. also, add immature.

price- not too bad but not the cheapest

Honda does have their kool aid cult.

Edited by regfootball

All the Si v. GTI comparisons say that the Civic is more fun to drive, but that the Golf is a more complete and usable package. I guess it depends on the reviewer's priorities... personally, I'd take the VW because it isn't a Honda.

as much as i hate hatchbacks... and trust me i hate them with the passion of 1000 suns... if i ha a choice between a hona civic an a VW GTI... no contest id take the GTI... i despise the civic beyond all reason... the dashboard looks like something out of an early 80s scifi movie... the exterior looks like a little kid drew it... its trying to hard to be agressive an angry looking... the torque numbers are horrifying... even if the car was attractive as soon as i saw 130 ft/lbs id be running in the other direction... not worrying if it was chsing me... i could outrun it... but of course because its a japanese car its going to win a camparison... LAME

Too bad Ford doesn't offer the Focus SVT anymore. I'd take the GTI over the Civic for many reasons, incl. that it's a hatchback (I'd much rather have a hatchback in a compact than a trunk). I've driven one of the previous style GTIs..it was a fun car. A coworker of mine is looking to trade his '02 Eclipse on a new GTI.

Stupid Edmunds... Buy a Cobalt or an Ion for Pete's sake. The GTI or Civic is the choice of fools.

I honestly believe Edmunds staff doesn't belong in our great country :nono: . Go hump your imports elsewhere morons. Take the Import buying society of idiots with you please. :angry:

Stupid Edmunds... Buy a Cobalt or an Ion for Pete's sake. The GTI or Civic is the choice of fools.

I honestly believe Edmunds staff doesn't belong in our great country  :nono: . Go hump your imports elsewhere morons. Take the Import buying society of idiots with you please.  :angry:

Buddy you need to get laid!