HHR Tops JD Powers Quality

I know some have has issues but my 2 buddies that have one and the 5 people at works have all had trouble free vehicles.

Mine only had issues with the intercooler hitting the map sensor once I upgraded to the Turbo upgrade. I was the one who figured this issue out that lead to a memo to the dealers. Also I has a seat belt with high resistance that that needed replaced as it turned the air bag service message on when it got hot out.

Otherwise I have had a very trouble free 3 years. More trouble free than most of my other GM cars.

While the HHR is not trouble free for all I also know the many others walk on water either.

Well, was it really selling? I mean, if it wasn't selling well, why would they continue to build it? The PT Cruiser was so overplayed for so long and GM was late in the game. If they updated the HHR extensively, maybe I could see it going on longer.

Well, was it really selling? I mean, if it wasn't selling well, why would they continue to build it? The PT Cruiser was so overplayed for so long and GM was late in the game. If they updated the HHR extensively, maybe I could see it going on longer.

From wikipedia:

Calendar Year U.S. sales

2005 41,011

2006 101,298

2007 105,175

2008 96,053

2009 70,842

2010 75,401

Cobalt sales numbers from the same years for comparison:

Model Year U.S. Sales

2005 212,667

2006 211,450

2007 200,621

2008 188,045

2009 104,724

2010 97,376

So it looks like aside from the first year (which was likely limited by early production rates), Chevy sold one HHR for every two Cobalts approximately. That's not bad at all. It's also nice to note that there aren't any major things to avoid in them (for example, someone shopping for a Saturn Vue would be well advised to avoid the 3.0L V6 in early years, the CVT transmission, and in some peoples' opinions the 3.6L in the last generation). The only consistent complaint I've picked up on with the HHRs is that the A pillars are too thick, which hinders visibility. They have a ton of space inside for being essentially a tall cobalt wagon. I personally think Chevy needs to come up with a worthy successor to the HHR, it's just a super smart vehicle.

What should the design be based on this go-round? I for one loved the look of the HHR, but my wife and plenty of our friends thought it was ugly. Would you try to modernize the '49 Suburban-inspired design? Would you use the Chevy Orlando? Would a '55 Suburban be the next influence?

From wikipedia:

Calendar Year U.S. sales

2005 41,011

2006 101,298

2007 105,175

2008 96,053

2009 70,842

2010 75,401

Cobalt sales numbers from the same years for comparison:

Model Year U.S. Sales

2005 212,667

2006 211,450

2007 200,621

2008 188,045

2009 104,724

2010 97,376

So it looks like aside from the first year (which was likely limited by early production rates), Chevy sold one HHR for every two Cobalts approximately.

What are you talking about? According to your numbers, it sold tens of thousands LESS than the Cobalt for 2009 and 2010? And the Cobalt wasn't selling well by then.

I'll be fair though, it was on the market for 5 years, it was due for a replacement with a powertrain and interior upgrade. Personally, I think the HHR and PT Cruiser looked horrendous, but I understand its appeal to others; it's simply not my cup of tea.

We had our from August 2005 until this past February. The only issue (besides minor adjustments) was having to replace the intake and exhaust cam sensors and the front stabilizer bar and bushings. The sensors are a common problem with the 2.4L once diagnosed and mine presented the symptoms with less than 50K on the odometer. Under $100 in parts and a 15 minute job to replace, less if you have power tools.

Edited by endeavorc

The HHR sold well and better than any Cobalt wagon would have done.

The real issue is to redo a retro is a real slippery slope. If you don't do enough to change it the car ends up looking like it did before. The PT fail liked this.

Now if you change it a lot then you lose a lot of the people who like the present design.

The Granite is coming and like it or not it will sell pretty well if priced right. The price more than the styling is key. The HHR sold half on styling but half on price as you got a good verital vehicle for the money.

Like the box styling or not they are selling and this is what the public wants. You can sling a dead hamster anymore with out hitting a Soul. Here again price and styling are working together.

This was something many said would fail and it turned out to be one of the best thing GM did in the last 10 years as they made a lot of money on this with little investment.

I want to see where they price the Granite and see where this takes us. I bought my HHR because of the way it drove, utility and the MPG. ALso I hated the Colorado. I have no regret buying it even when I did not want a 4 cylinder or FWD.

Good styling does not need to be retro and that way is drying up. I feel GM can do well with some modern styling if they just keep it interesting. I would love to see somthing on the Granite platform that has a modern Nomad roof like the HHR Nomad show car had but with is different nose.

HHR was nicely done but needed to modernize.......updated powertrains, new interior. I think the cabin could stand to be a couple inches wider and a bit more trunk.

hyper is right, to redo a retro is tricky. New new beetle does this ok. I think a new HHR would have had to emulate a different vintage of chevy truck. But as a package, the HHR was just about perfect.

What are you talking about? According to your numbers, it sold tens of thousands LESS than the Cobalt for 2009 and 2010? And the Cobalt wasn't selling well by then.

The Cobalt wasn't selling well compared to how it had been selling, true, but note that the HHR didn't experience the sales falloff that the Cobalt did. Don't scoff at any vehicle that can push near or over 100k/yr, especially if it's not carrying the R&D burden of a unique platform or drivetrain, or if it's still selling at those levels after 5-6 years without a major sales falloff. The Cobalt's last years were selling at ~50% of its peak years, while the HHR was at 70-75% of peak. Heck, if you adjust for how much of a hit the whole automotive (and general economic) market took in that timeframe, one could probably make the argument that sales of the HHR weren't falling much at all because it had lost appeal, but simply because fewer people were buying vehicles in general.

Also, selling less than one of GM's top rental whore & near lowest price models isn't exactly a vehicle damning offense. No one ever expected the HHR to sell at Cobalt levels, it's probably a bigger statement FOR the HHR that near the end it almost did!

Just to note... Initial Quality =/= Dependability. The HHR does not have a very good record there, receiving 3, 3.5 and 2 out of 5 circles in overall dependability for 2006, 2007, and 2008. In JD Power's 2011 Vehicle Dependability Study within the same classification, the Scion xB and Chrysler PT Cruiser were ranked at the top.

I don't think updating a retro design like the HHR or PT would be as hard as everyone seems to think. They're both already very basic interpretations of late pre-war/early post-war car design. When they debuted Chevy and Chrysler both had much softer, rounded design languages. They have since evolved to become much sharper and tauter. The new themes could easily be applied to the existing retro shapes of the cars.

• 3 weeks later...

PT Cruiser was so excessive as long as the GM, and at the end of the game. If you have updated HHR well, maybe I could see it running longer.

Edited by JamesBond
Link was removed as not relating to the topic at hand

HHR is retro and there is now debat there as even GM see's the HHR as such.

Updating can be tricky. While I do not see it hard as the Camaro it is always a difficult task doing it to the point majority are happy. Also the retro think has kind of worn thin and people are looking for more original clean new designs.

Retro is fun to a point and often becomes a crutch for lack of originality and just good design work. I like Classiz rock too but I too welcome something new and fresh once in a while.

The sales numbers for the HHR are very good. We have to remember this took the place of a Cobalt wagon that would have never come close to these numbers.

As being a HHR owner and being involved with other HHR owners the Granite has at least a 50% approval of most owners at this point. I see more coming over once it is in production. This is pretty good for the major change in direction of the styling. The key will be price. If the Ganite is much more expensive it will hurt sales. The key thing about the HHR was it was different, useful, good on gas and cheap to buy. These are things needed to be considered for the Granite.

The Chevy Orlando never was big with the HHR people. If they wanted something that looked like all the other SUV wagons there are many others to choose from.

Note too that many want a Granite with more performance like the HHR SS. They like to haul in more ways than one.

VW updated the Beetle, keeping the same basic "retro" shape and made it better looking in the process. Surely GM could do the same with the HHR if it wanted to.

HHR barely has passing resemblence to the old Suburban it was allegedly inspired by.

I think it has its own unique look - something that I appreciate in any car.

It was done much like the Camaro. The car has the basic outline of the original and is based on it. They added more modern lines to it for styling and aero to update the design some.

You can deny all you like but it was based on the old original, GM points this out and made this clear often as does the Heritage in the name.

Might note too the rear has a lot of Corvair wagon in it too. The tail lights were turned but carry the similar look. the bottom line is if there were no 48 Subruban there would have been no HHR.

I feel Nesbitt did a better job on this than he did on the PT. They fixed many of the short comings like the small storage area and other issues the PT had.

Note there are many things due to the styling that have been an issue. Stone chips on the front are not just on the front but also the sides and top of the hood also the fender tops. The rear fender flairs are horrid for stone chips if they did not have rockers. The SS rockers look good but unless you have longer legs you will either tear up the paint on them or get dirty from the snow or dirt on them. The grill protection is poor GM has retro fit screens to prevent stone chips as many have lost condensors.

Don't get me wrong I like that they did do to this car and it has done well but there were some prices paid buy the owners for the special look.

To this point it will be 3 years of ownership next month and I have no regrets on my purchase. The only things I wish they had done is addressed the interior more in quality. I wish it was at least to the level of the new Cruze. It is not bad but just could have been a little better.

The only other real beed I have and it is minor is the name. Chevy could have done better here. I get people all the time ask what HHR means and I always get the same disapointed look like that's it? I think GM just got lazy or cheap on choosing a name here. The letters are find but at least make them stand for somthing cool.

Well Hyper, I'm not denying the origins of the HHR (I read the same press releases you did). But, we all know how powerful perception is in the car business, and the perception the HHR inspires is not a retro one.

And that's not a bad thing.

It's just a cool design.

I do agree on the name thing.

Well Hyper, I'm not denying the origins of the HHR (I read the same press releases you did). But, we all know how powerful perception is in the car business, and the perception the HHR inspires is not a retro one.

And that's not a bad thing.

It's just a cool design.

I do agree on the name thing.

It may not be retro to some but don't say such on the HHR web site as they would flame you in a min. LOL! They are a tough group over there with their cute names they have for some of their cars.

I will give you that the HHR has the widest Demographic of any GM car. It has old and young, fast and slow, male and female, rich and poor etc. The range of appeal was pretty wide for many. That is not something many models in todays market can say or do.

My son and I play a game like the VW commercial on color. It is not often we each do not have sore arms for all the HHR's we see daily.

As for retro it is just how you see it and most people and GM see it as retro.

My dad and I think our HHR would look better with woodgrain, but my mom won't go for it.

At any rate it's becoming tiresome.

I have seen the woodgrain and it did not do much for me. But it is all in what you like.

The HHR has seved its purpose by bringing buyers and money in. The life cycle is ending as it should. I just wish they had a replacment for this segment next year. A lot of people with HHR are talking replacments for theirs but many are not GM products. Note many HHR buyers were not GM buyers to start with. The car brought in many new customers. I do not blame GM for the gap as they just did not have the money to do anything for next year. I just hope the Granite get here on time and on price to fill this need. Most HHR people have some interst in this one and pricing will be key.

I will give you that the HHR has the widest Demographic of any GM car. It has old and young, fast and slow, male and female, rich and poor etc. The range of appeal was pretty wide for many. That is not something many models in todays market can say or do.

This is a huge point, and the lesson GM should learn from the HHR.

Hell, even I like it, a FWD car!

Make it interesting, and the buyers will appear.

Hell, even I like it, a FWD car!

Hurry Camino get in out of the sun before there is permanent damage. LOL!

I agree It does not have to be retro and it does not have to seat 9 people it just has to be somewhat interesting. The price also helps with the styling here as most others in class are just boxes with little cool factor.

I was ok with the HHR but what sold me what the handling on the SS. GMPD did wonders with this car. If you ever get the chance to drive one take it. It erased many of the ideas I had on the issues on FWD handling. In fact it handles and rides better on real world roads than many of GM's RWD performance cars. It takes in uneven roads surfaces like you find on back roads like crazy. The car always feels in control. Mark Stielow if I recall did most of the tuning on this with John Heinricy. Mark knows his stuff. He used to work for my company and did a lot of cool things for us.

I have a question for those of you who own an HHR. I'm thinking about trying to pick up a cheap used one, and I wanted to know how you like it? What kind of fuel mileage you get, an what kind of maintenance issues the car has? I rented one in Colorado a few years ago, and I thought I was getting mid to upper 30's mpg according to the computer. But that seems like it is pretty high, so I wanted to double check my memory. I need a $7-10k car that gets exceptional fuel mileage. I just too a new job, but it is a significant paycut. I really need better then mid 20's that I get with my Grand Prix. If this is posted in the wrong section please feel free to move it. Thanks for your input. Have a nice day everyone!

I have a question for those of you who own an HHR. I'm thinking about trying to pick up a cheap used one, and I wanted to know how you like it? What kind of fuel mileage you get, an what kind of maintenance issues the car has? I rented one in Colorado a few years ago, and I thought I was getting mid to upper 30's mpg according to the computer. But that seems like it is pretty high, so I wanted to double check my memory. I need a $7-10k car that gets exceptional fuel mileage. I just too a new job, but it is a significant paycut. I really need better then mid 20's that I get with my Grand Prix. If this is posted in the wrong section please feel free to move it. Thanks for your input. Have a nice day everyone!

Everything I have read indicates that typical fuel economy is low to mid 30's with pretty much any of the drivetrain options. The 2.4L gives you the option of putting premium in for extra hp, and the SS requires premium and has gobs of power, but they all seem to get about the same fuel economy. Of course those with hands-on experience should feel free to speak up.

There are quite a few vehicles that can get you into the 30mpg+ range, do you have some other needs that the HHR meets that has you eyeballing it? I've been looking at them due to the good fuel economy plus the good hauling space, which would be great for my business. For just commuting, I love the Saturn S-Series, which can get into the high 30's or even low 40mpg's. A good one can be found for well under $5k, and they are simple and cheap to maintain & repair, and very reliable. Downside is they're getting older now, and finding low mileage ones is getting a little tougher.

Ok here is the scoope. I own a SS and have friends with a LT 2.4 and a LS 2.2 I also have time in all of these as rentals too.

MPG. as follows.

2.2 mid 20's city and mid 30's highway.

2.4 mid 20's and low 30's highway.

2.0 Turbo. I see week after week 23.9 city and 31-32 highway. note I picked up 1-2 MPG with the turbo upgrade.

Note the Premium is optional on the SS as it is on the 2.4. It cost about 20 HP to use regular. The turbo upgrade from GMPD will change it to premuim required in the SS.

As the car goes it rides and drives very nice and will haul about anything you need.

Problems are not wide spread but there are things to watch for.

Early HHRS can leak at the windshield and flood the front floor. 08 and later do not have this issue.

Swaybar links can wear early on some.

Inside door handles can break if they are abused.

Dash noise is an issue with some but is easy to fix if you have a little mechanical know how.

AC can get a odor if you turn it on after not using it for a while. It goes away in about 30 second. If you use it all the time it never happens.

Sun roof deflectors can break.

These are the common issues that some have found but not all. I find the 08 and later ones have the least issues. Deals can be found as my buddy picked up a 08 with 7,000 miles and was a fully loaded LT with the 2.4 for $12K. LS can be had for under $10K with low miles.

I can say I have enjoyed mine and to be honest mine for the most has been trouble free from factory defects. I had it in for a TSB's I found. The only issues I had were related to the accident and part the dealer replaced after it. None were factory issues.

If I had to do it again I would no hesitate to buy this vehicle again. It has been a joy to drive year round. Note this is my first 4 cyl FWD daily driver and I never thought I would ever say this but I could not be happier.

To sum up a HHR.

The HHR is a improved GM car over the earlier ones. It has many of the early improvement Lutz brought to GM when he came in. But that is not to say it is up to new Cruze quality.

The HHR is one of the transitional cars where it is better then they were but not to where they are going today. But to buy one used you can get such a good buy on them that the lack of higher grade interior materials and the like can be over looked.

For the money a used HHR is a very good bargin and buy.

The prices are lowest on the LS as they are easy to find since many the last two years went to Enterprise. The SS and LT tend to hold better value and are harder to get as the lowest prices. Standard shift LT's are really hard to find as are the panels as they seem to get bought up fast.

The SS is a breed of its own. This was not just another emblem car. It really has upgrades in the Turbo engine, suspension and brakes that make it a totally different animal to drive. It by far is the best performance FWD I have ever driven. The Turbo upgrade is a must with the automatic as the auto is only 235 HP in first and second gear and 250 in 3rd and 4th. The Upgrade gives both the manual and auto the same 290 HP and 315 FT-LB of performance. If you can find a SS at a good price it might be at least worth a test drive to see what it has. I think many here would be shocked at what it can do. One test drive in the SS is what made me a HHR owner. I did not really car about the styling one way or the other but after letting one lose on the back roads I was hooked. I really suprised myself that I even bought as HHR.

Due note it took me a little to get seating position that I liked. The HHR really needs a telescopic wheel like the Malibu for people with longer legs. Also the thick pillars make for some blind spots you need to get used too. After a day or two the HHR is easy to drive and you get used to the in the bunker feel. It also is easier for people who know how to drive with the mirrors well. With the blind spots in my Fiero I had to learn this long ago and it was not an issue to use the mirrors.

But be warned the B pillars are as thick as a new Silverado with vent visors on.

Edited by hyperv6

IMG_20110716_135258.jpg

Oh! God! My eyes are melting.

These are the kind of people who name thier HHR and have Bud Vases.

Now I do like the Surf Wagon deal on the right vehicle. My neighbor is just finishing up a 48 Willys Jeep Panel. It is lowered with a new updated lowered suspension complete with a Surf Board on the roof and a SBC under the hood. It is clean and originally from California. Not many panels with the original metal still left. His is tan and black with no wood.

I saw an original HHR yesterday with the Pontiac like streaks on the rear of the fenders behind the tires. It looked ok.

As for the truck it would not have hauled much but it would have been easy to do and I think it would have sold well. In fact it would have sold better than the SSR.

I saw an original HHR yesterday with the Pontiac like streaks on the rear of the fenders behind the tires. It looked ok.

The '47-'54 Advanced Design series pickups, panels, and Suburban Carry-Alls could be accessorized with those chrome strips from the dealership, and I see a few restored examples at truck shows with those options (though I don't believe they are available 'aftermarket'). Here's a picture for reference:'

70926_front_3-4_m.jpg

Chevrolet_Panel_1949_Rick_Feibusch_2009.jpg

If that's what you saw, or very similar to what you saw on a HHR, I wouldn't say that they don't belong but you're right in that they are very Pontiac-like.