Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

An Ocn Cruze

Stoked the little fella up to the century mark this afternoon on Rt 283 (4 lane, clear and dry, 65 MPH limit). Felt solid and secure. Chased down a Volvo S40 T5 that passed me doing at least 80 mph while I was doing the speed limit. Slowed 'im back down to seventy and resumed my relaxed cruze.

Nice!

Good to know she had it in her....see you need to autocross that thing after all!

Stoked the little fella up to the century mark this afternoon on Rt 283 (4 lane, clear and dry, 65 MPH limit). Felt solid and secure. Chased down a Volvo S40 T5 that passed me doing at least 80 mph while I was doing the speed limit. Slowed 'im back down to seventy and resumed my relaxed cruze.

Nice!

Good to know she had it in her....see you need to autocross that thing after all!

Yes!!

top speed on the Eco is like 124mph per car and driver this new issue. perhaps you should double verify their number ;)

top speed on the Eco is like 124mph per car and driver this new issue. perhaps you should double verify their number ;)

+1

STICKS ARE MORE FUN THAN SLUSHBOXES! had to say it... :AH-HA:

I miss having a stick. Haven't had a DD with one in 11+ years. Need to get something w/ one again.

My current DD is a company truck (Chevrolet) that is an automatic...I miss driving a manual every day.

Methinks you and Blu both need wranglers....

I find myself going from 3rd to 5th a lot, or from 4th to 6th. Do I have too many GEARS?

Maybe...I think the six speed Miata box has a few too many cogs...I like the feel of the Mazda 5 Speed better myself....that's what I have in my car.

When the WRX First came out, they were using one as a pace car at Nelson Ledges for SCCA races. We took that thing out on the Ohio turnpike...it was good for the 141 MPH Suburu said it was....

The Ohio patrol/State Troopers know this also via radar...and we didn't wind up with a ticket...LONG story...

Although I have had two friends get busted for driving faster...one at 152 in a CT-V and another at 158 in an LT-1 C4 Corvette....

Vette was just pulling away from the Porsche 911 when they got busted....

Had another friend get tagged at 155 in a modified RX-7, and get out of it. Yet another friend was doing 159 in a BMW...and got out of it.

Can you tell my friends are a little bit nuts in the way they drive...Oh, yeah. Back in high school...1970 Boss 302 Mustang that was nowhere near stock, and a 1970 Hemi Cuda...both outran the Indiana State highway patrol back in the 1980's. Neither driver ever got caught.

I only skip-shift when accelerating aggresively. Usually I hit every gear.

Odd. I only skip-shift on low speed limit roads when lazy... In the Firebird, it was usually 1-2-5th.

When driving aggressively, I have to hit all the speeds to keep the engine in the powerband... skip-shifting would slow the works down.

I only skip-shift when accelerating aggresively. Usually I hit every gear.

Odd. I only skip-shift on low speed limit roads when lazy... In the Firebird, it was usually 1-2-5th.

When driving aggressively, I have to hit all the speeds to keep the engine in the powerband... skip-shifting would slow the works down.

I realize it's a bit backwards to how it would normally go - but the turbo changes things. Lag means that I want to stay in each gear longer for better acceleration.

Here's an example of how I would accelerate to 65km/h (40 mph) for city streets.

post-850-0-42368700-1319032500.jpg

Edited by the_yellow_dart

I realize it's a bit backwards to how it would normally go - but the turbo changes things. Lag means that I want to stay in each gear longer for better acceleration.

Well, the pundits here claim turbos haven't had lag in decades.

I can see what you're trying to do, though... I'm used to cars that produce power low down, and its all instant on.

While driving turbos is not my thing, I wonder if a slight speed shift (don't let the engine fall to idle (or whatever speed lag is an issue) between shifts) would take the lag out of the equation.

I shift pretty fast, and with all the spinning inertia, I don't lose too much engine speed.

I don't feel lag in the 1.4t. It has a wide power band. I haven't heard even the slightest whistle out of the turbocharger, either. Sometimes the sound reminds me of a Subaru engine though, whatever that means.

Edited by ocnblu

OK... then what is the word/phrase I'm looking for?

Basically I'm doing what an automatic would do - when you accelerate harder, you stay in lower gears longer.

yeah, but you shouldn't skip gears if you're trying to accelerate fast.

so... what it's called is "goofy" :neenerneener:

OK... then what is the word/phrase I'm looking for?

Basically I'm doing what an automatic would do - when you accelerate harder, you stay in lower gears longer.

yeah, but you shouldn't skip gears if you're trying to accelerate fast.

so... what it's called is "goofy" :neenerneener:

No, you guys are misunderstanding me - that's why I drew that graph above. I'm not skip-shifting until I'm done accelerating.

Normal city cruising gear is 5th. When I accelerate quickly, I reach city cruising speed in 3rd, or maybe even 2nd, at which point I shift to 5th and stop pushing.

Well, the pundits here claim turbos haven't had lag in decades.

I can see what you're trying to do, though... I'm used to cars that produce power low down, and its all instant on.

While driving turbos is not my thing, I wonder if a slight speed shift (don't let the engine fall to idle (or whatever speed lag is an issue) between shifts) would take the lag out of the equation.

I shift pretty fast, and with all the spinning inertia, I don't lose too much engine speed.

They have lag...and you and I have different preferences. I like cars that rev high, and build power higher in the RPM band. One reason I like Modular motor Mustangs better...and also small cars.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel the need to reiterate, this Cruze is a very nice car. For someone who truly fits well in a compact sedan, there is none better out there right now. Just because my mind wanders back to 4X4s and such, is no reason to doubt my admiration for what GM has done here. Well done, Chevrolet.

• 2 years later...