An Ocn Cruze

I warshed it last evening, then ran out of daylight. So I stopped at Longs Park here in town and snapped a few after work today. My newest vehicle:

(I even took a couple of the back seat for Drew and Croc in special remembrance of the CTS-V thread ;))

100_0355.jpg

100_0343.jpg

100_0344.jpg

100_0348.jpg

100_0349.jpg

100_0350.jpg

100_0351.jpg

100_0352.jpg

100_0353.jpg

100_0354.jpg

Thanks everybody. I'm pleased so far.

hmmm...wonder if I could retrofit a Cruze six-speed to the Slobalt...

anyways, clean ride. you just get it?

Yeah Turbo, I got it on Aug 25th to replace my Fiesta lost in an accident.

Congrats! I like the color.

the color is fantastic, and I really like the looks of this thing...

The color, the transmission choice, and the interior get a thumbs-up from me.

Congrats Ocn, enjoy it.

I'll second that...

Thanks again folks. I'm itching to take a road trip, maybe to Maryland or my brother's cabin in Tioga County, PA. Although I cannot accurately check this first tankful for MPG because my selling dealer didn't reset the trip meter when they filled it up after the 150-mile trek down from the mountain dealer where they got it for me, and I was tired and forgot to do it myself the night I picked it up.

The camera flash lights things up unnaturally. Yes, you can see in that photo how big the real opening is. The casual observer never sees it that way. Lots of vehicles are like that, giant grille, small opening for air.

Well reg, it is a major step up from its forebears and clearly a more luxurious ride than the little Ford it replaced. Folks at work think it looks big, Malibu-sized (they also think I should have a rollbar installed and should wear a helmet). It is classified as midsize by the EPA.

I love the surge of torque it has. I can be in a much higher gear much sooner than I could in the Fiesta and still feel that pull of the little 1.4t. The Ford needed to be wrung out to extract power, but that didn't hurt its fuel mileage apparently.

I've been slogging back and forth to work in it so far. The average MPG over 300+ commuter miles has slowly but steadily risen to 32.8. A road trip is in order to get that number up. I'm already ahead of the EPA's urban mileage rating.

There are some things I'll have to consult the owner's manual about. I'm still learning some of the features and controls.

So far though I'm happy to be back in a GM vehicle. It seems well thought-out, with a solid, controlled ride. LOVE the fact that all 4 windows go all the way down (rear windows disappear into the door... I remember when the 78 A-bodies came out, the rear windows didn't open AT ALL!) and with one touch of the buttons. Gets fresh air into the cabin quickly. Only the driver's window is one-touch close, though, seems right in case of passengers hanging their noses or other appendages out the window.

Edited by ocnblu

More little things I like: all four taillamp elements light up at night. Gives a Genuine Chevrolet vibe to those behind me, as opposed to the single lamps on all FWD Impalas and recent Malibus.

Also, the little grip handle on the underside of the trunk lid for closing, neater than leaving fingerprints on the top side of the lid to close it.

STICKS ARE MORE FUN THAN SLUSHBOXES! had to say it... :AH-HA:

That they are!

All of my children are learning to drive stick...my 21 year old doesn't like it, my 15 year and 18 year old love it, and my 13 year old had his first lesson today...

• Agree 1

Well I usually only compare knobs in the locker room, but here goes: I think the Eco might not have a leather-wrapped one, it appears to be urethane. And you have a green orb around your 6th gear that's missing from mine.

• Agree 2

I'm going for the Astra GTC in 3 months or so,... If the 1.7CDTI (to be introduced in Frankfurt this September, AFAIK) is priced at more than 2400EUR over the 1.4T (price difference in portugal on the 5-door Astra) I'm going for the same powertrain you have in your Cruze.

Enjoy the Cruze! Many happy miles with it! :)

Right, forgot to check that. You have a leather interior, which also likely gives you a leather shift knob. I'll take my cloth and urethane shifter any day. Never did really like the feel of leather as an interior (though I know I'm alone in that sentiment)

Mr. Dart, I agree with ya regarding leather seats. Unless they're heated, then they're OK. They can be hot in summer and cold in winter. I have cloth seats in my car, but a leather wrapped wheel and shifter knob. One concern I have is getting the gray seats dirty after working all day. Maybe I should carry a big towel to put over the seat in case my clothes are dirty, or just strip in the parking lot, whichever is easier for me to remember.

Thanks uncle davey, and ZL-1. That GTC looks pretty cool, I'd take it as a Buick with a front clip similar to the Verano.

^ I'd go to the doctor to get that green orb on your knob checked out!

LMAO!

Right, forgot to check that. You have a leather interior, which also likely gives you a leather shift knob. I'll take my cloth and urethane shifter any day. Never did really like the feel of leather as an interior (though I know I'm alone in that sentiment)

Mr. Dart, I agree with ya regarding leather seats. Unless they're heated, then they're OK. They can be hot in summer and cold in winter. I have cloth seats in my car, but a leather wrapped wheel and shifter knob. One concern I have is getting the gray seats dirty after working all day. Maybe I should carry a big towel to put over the seat in case my clothes are dirty, or just strip in the parking lot, whichever is easier for me to remember.

Thanks uncle davey, and ZL-1. That GTC looks pretty cool, I'd take it as a Buick with a front clip similar to the Verano.

I was hoping to drop by one evening and take you to dinner after work, but if your naked in the parking lot they might look at us kinda funny when we walk into Texas Roadhouse together.....

I'm going for the Astra GTC in 3 months or so,... If the 1.7CDTI (to be introduced in Frankfurt this September, AFAIK) is priced at more than 2400EUR over the 1.4T (price difference in portugal on the 5-door Astra) I'm going for the same powertrain you have in your Cruze.

Enjoy the Cruze! Many happy miles with it! :)

Wish the Astra had made it here in the USA, was a decent little car!

Nah, I'd only be driving home that way... AFTER the windows get tinted. :lol:

I'd be up for a meet-up at some point though. Maybe you, Camino, caddycruiser and myself (and anyone else who'd like to show up) can meet up @ Hershey for the show this year.

Whoops! Didn't look closely. That light cloth looked like leather at a quick glance.

Was that fold-down section in the back seat an option? I don't have that.

You have an uplevel information center from what I have too. Wish I'd realized that I wasn't getting a mileage readout when I bought it, might have thought twice about getting the model on the lot. Really, I just expected (especially on an Eco!) that an information center with at least a mileage readout would be standard.

• 4 weeks later...

Well right now I forget what my second tank ended up at (I posted about it in my "stinkin' green badges" thread)... I think it was 36.85 after coming down from my beach trip excitement and slogging to work for the remainder of that tank. I am going to be fueling it up again this weekend (and this tank has been all work commute), I am going two weeks between fill-ups with the good-sized tank on this car.

You have an uplevel information center from what I have too. Wish I'd realized that I wasn't getting a mileage readout when I bought it, might have thought twice about getting the model on the lot. Really, I just expected (especially on an Eco!) that an information center with at least a mileage readout would be standard.

Mr. Dart, are you sure? Did you push the "MENU" button on the left stalk and then scroll through the menus?

On a side note, I can't believe the GM Canada website is still wrong...

It shows Cruise Control as not even being optional on the Eco model. Almost turned me off the Cruze completely when I saw that - and I worry it may be driving other customers away. I've told them twice already about the error and they never fixed it.

This tank was truly daily grind, with two weeks of urban work commuting and weekend errand trips urban/suburban, no highway travel. My car is rated 26/38 by the EPA, this tank was 30.59 mpg (EPA average is 30 mpg). Not as good as the Fiesta under similar circumstances. The Fiesta was rated at 28/37. The Cruze is a much more substantial car, to be sure, and highway mileage eclipses the Ford, which has a 5-speed manual instead of the Chevy's six-speed.

It is still double and more what I was getting with my 2010 Colorado 3.7L/auto, which was getting inexplicably low gas mileage.

• 2 weeks later...

Stoked the little fella up to the century mark this afternoon on Rt 283 (4 lane, clear and dry, 65 MPH limit). Felt solid and secure. Chased down a Volvo S40 T5 that passed me doing at least 80 mph while I was doing the speed limit. Slowed 'im back down to seventy and resumed my relaxed cruze.

Edited by ocnblu