Chevrolet Colorado Confirmed For US

Chevrolet Colorado Confirmed For US

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

October 10, 2011

post-10485-0-60480800-1317911176.png

In a not surprising move, General Motors has announced the global Chevrolet Colorado will be making it's way to the US.

"The new Chevrolet Colorado is generating a lot of excitement as we begin its launch in Thailand. We think the design, capability and fuel efficiency of the new Colorado will make it attractive to U.S. customers," said Chris Perry, vice president, global marketing and strategy for Chevrolet in a press release today.

GM says information about equipment, pricing, and release date will be release at a later time.

Press Release is Below

New Chevrolet Colorado Pickup Confirmed for U.S.

DETROIT – A version of the all-new Colorado midsize pickup will be built and sold in the United States, Chevrolet confirmed today. The first version of the truck is launching this month in Thailand, to be followed by other regions around the globe.

"The new Chevrolet Colorado is generating a lot of excitement as we begin its launch in Thailand," said Chris Perry, vice president, global marketing and strategy for Chevrolet. "We think the design, capability and fuel efficiency of the new Colorado will make it attractive to U.S. customers."

Product details, timing, pricing and the production location will be announced later. The current-generation Colorado will be produced in Shreveport, La., through the 2012 model year.

The all-new global Colorado builds on Chevrolet's strong truck DNA and award-winning heritage, and the show truck versions generated significant attention at global auto shows in Thailand, Argentina, Australia and Germany. Thailand is the world's largest market for midsize pickup trucks.

In Thailand, the model lineup will include 2WD and 4WD regular, extended-cab and crew cab variants. Gasoline and diesel engines will be available, including new 2.5L and 2.8L turbo diesel engines that produce broad torque bands engineered for excellent cargo and towing capability.

Engine availability for U.S. versions will be announced at a future date.

The new Colorado is based on an all-new midsize truck architecture developed by GM do Brasil within GM's global product development organization. In major markets where the Colorado will be sold, engineers will tailor the truck to meet local needs.

"For example, Chevrolet Colorado Chief Engineer Roberto Rempel and his team lived in Thailand during the Colorado's development," said Brad Merkel, global vehicle line executive. "They immersed themselves in the highly competitive truck market and observed how the Thai people use their vehicles and the driving conditions they experience.

"A similar development process will precede the launch of the truck in the U.S. market," said Merkel. "We think American customers will be pleased with the results."

Good news, though expected and a little late. I'm guessing we'll see this in Chicago, as that typically is the truck show (however, GM could be saving this for the home show [Detroit]).

Will there be a Canyon?

That is now my current interest. Hopefully GM won't wait too long to make this announcement, as I'm sure it will be asked by the press and dealers alike continually.

I appreciate the promise of fine-tuning for each major market. That makes me hopeful for some changes to the US model.

I want a truck front end, this is not an Equinox CUV, nor is it a Malibu. A 2.8L diesel engine option, along with modern 4 and 6 cylinder gas engines. A regular cab smooth-sided shortbed configuration that can be optioned to a higher trim level, and a return of the Z71, big-tire 4X4 suspension option on all cabs.

regular cab longbed configuration for those that want it... and a new stepside. And don't forget a lowered ZQ8 suspension package for sport truck fans.

In short, I want all the variations that made the S-10 so popular, in a thoroughly modern, real BOF truck. Cover your bases to ensure your success, GM!

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

I am fine with this truck as is but for the crew cab looks, it needs a longer frame. The nose is fine and should sell well. We have too many wantabe Macks out there now and the chrome all looks like hell in 5 years from stone dings.

The Diesel would be a nice option but will it sell? It will take some effort to market it and not just stick it out there and expect people to be interested. If they put some effort into it I think they will be rewarded well.

Step side bed? Forget it as it is a bigger waste in a small truck than the crew bed. They even started to sell poorly the last time they were offered.

I suspect a V6 may be lacking here. With everything moving down size. I would not be too suprised if they pass on the V6 option and stick to a Turbo 4. I would like a 6 but I just get a feeling based on what has been going on.

I am not sure how big this is but I am think at least Colorado size. It is time for GM to get back to what a small truck really is and stop playing this mid size truck game. The Ranger was the smallest and best selling for a reason and it was not quality or state of the art. It was the cheap price, Size and 4 cylinder that got MPG.

Why buy one when there's already a Frontier, Tacoma, etc?

Because some of use don't want Nissan poor quality and the Toyotas rust.

Trucks are an American specialty and they do them the best in Full Size and should figure out a way to do them small again like the original S10.

I am not sure how big this is but I am think at least Colorado size. It is time for GM to get back to what a small truck really is and stop playing this mid size truck game. The Ranger was the smallest and best selling for a reason and it was not quality or state of the art. It was the cheap price, Size and 4 cylinder that got MPG.

Trucks are an American specialty and they do them the best in Full Size and should figure out a way to do them small again like the original S10.

Isn't this Thai?

Isn't this Thai?

I think you will find thia truck is like most of GM's other recent cars and most markets had a hand in it not just one. There will be alittle something for everyone here and not just one market forcing it's product on another.

Brazilian I think.

I'll try to stop speculating until I see the real US deal. I've posted my wish list for now.

It's launching in Thailand and Australia first I think, but developed in Brazil I've read.

I'm wondering about the dimensions..bigger than the current Colorado but smaller than the Dakota, I think.

What platform is this? I would think making something smaller than the current Colorado would do better than going bigger. They have the Silverado for real truck buyers. If this Colorado is more Equinox sized and light duty, it should in theory not be super heavy and could have 4-cylinder power to help with fuel economy.

What platform is this? I would think making something smaller than the current Colorado would do better than going bigger. They have the Silverado for real truck buyers. If this Colorado is more Equinox sized and light duty, it should in theory not be super heavy and could have 4-cylinder power to help with fuel economy.

New platform I assume.

Is it just me or does the production version look too much like the Traverse?

Intentional Chevy family resembalance..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar