Nissan Juke Review

We are looking for a new car this next year. On the list-

Chevrolet Camaro V6

Mazda Miata MX-5

Mini Cooper/Clubman (S version)

Volkswagen GTI

Volkswagen Beetle (redesigned 2012)

Volvo C30

My wife and Children wanted to add a car to the list-they wanted another four door to choose from, and it had to be fun to drive, a manual shift, and most importantly not look like anything else on the road.

Oh a whim, we drove the Juke, and here it is-the good, the bad, and the ugly.

What it did really well-

The interior is the high point of the vehicle-

#1-Best build quality of anything we've looked at-fit, finish, materials, and overall feel of the cabin beats even the GTI and C-30, two very pricey and premium small cars. The center console is very robust and well laid out, the gauges are nicely designed and easy to read, the audio system is very good, and everything is nicely laid out.

It isn't all stars here, however...the C30 seats were more comfortable, especially in the rear, whilethe GTI seats were more supportive. Both the C30 and the GTI had better audio systems, although the Juke is surprisingly close. The cabin is also fairly tight for a vehicle of this size. We had our thirteen year old son and fifteen year old daughter with us on our test drive, (both of them are about 5'7-5'8 and about 135 lbs) and while we were all comfortable I wouldn't recommend this vehicle if your much larger.

Cargo area is at a good height and has a nice under floor storage area.

Overall, I am happy that they didn't have the overly wrought design of something like the Ford Fiesta or the Ford Focus. For a car I'd drive every day, this is light years ahead of a lot of other interiors.

2011-nissan-juke-cockpit.jpg

Our test vehicle had the red accents in the photo above, and the overall effect of the interior is pretty good.

HVAC and radio controls are logical, and could easily be operated with a gloved hand if you lived up north like I do.

We drove the SV verion, which is the middle trim level. At that level, you get a sunroof. Unlike the Cooper, GTI, Camaro and C-30, the sunroof did not cut into the head room and make the vehicle uncomfortable to drive. I am 5'11 and 235 lbs, and when I am hitting my head in a car with a sunroof, something is wrong.

Visibility is also very good. We drove through an urban area, a construction zone, and a crowded interstate area and never had any trouble seeing out of the thing. A major plus, as some modern vehicles (think Honda civic) have really poor visibility IMHO.

Even in the back seat, I was able to see out very well even with the narrow side windows.

(I'm going to write more on this later...headed off to church at the last minute with my wife on Christmas morning)

Reg-

Manual Transmission was fantastic-Better than the GTI, C30, MINI, or Camaro. Almost as good as the S2000, the Boxster, or the MX-5. If I were to buy one, It would for sure be the six speed. Clutch pedal position was superb, and the turbo 4 is very eager and willing. Only odd thing is a reverse lock out, as reverse is up and to the left of first, kind of an odd position for reverse.

Driving Dynamics were superb-rough roades were smooth, smoother than in say an Accord or 1 Series BMW. Handled very well on onraomps, offramps, etc.

While the C30 and the Juke are not tuned for an autocross, they are both tuned very well for daily use...although the Juke had better rear seat ride.

Well, you can definitely say the Juke looks like nothing else on the road...very distinctive design.

I am beginning to understand and like What Nissan is doing-they are unafraid to take risks, and they have won my respect and admiration for that. There was a Murano Cabriolet in the sales showroom when we went to drive (Buckeye Nissan, Christmas eve test drive) and it struck me that Nissan was one of the few automakers ballsey enough to build a convertible SUV...or spend a kings ransom building a quirky supercar like the GTR.

They still seem to have some real weakness in the product lineup...the 370Z has several real weaknesses as a true sports car, and the Versa and Sentra are just plain godawful as compact cars...But Nissan is trying to innovate.

I can respect that.

• Agree 1

Overall, I'd sum it up by saying that it's probably the best of the Cute utes on the market-not a 65 GTO or a 74 Firebird Trans Am in the appearance department...but it is an original, thoughtful, masculine modern design. I like it better than the bland Ford Escape, the unattractive Toyota RAV 4, the quirky and odd CRV, the unoriginal and uninspired Hyundai Santa Fe....Definitely worth a look if someone wanted a cute look.

That being said, the wife said that she'd much rather have a MINI Cooper S, GTI, Beetle, C30, or Camaro based on styling. She liked the driving dynamics and interior...but the styling is enough to put her off into alas the other cars on the list.

We are thinking that as we get older we would like to Foster parent children, as our own children grow up and move out. The one strength this thing has is that it is one of the few people mover type vehicles with exciting driving dynamics and a nice interior. I think that I could live with it based on how well it drove, how nice the interior and audio were, and on the ethics and integrity of the Buckeye family of dealerships.

However, methinks a C30, GTI, or Cooper will be the actual car in our future.

Any other questions? I'd love to discuss the vehicle!

Funny you mention the C30...for some reason, I find this little hatchback very appealing....sort of a modern AMC Gremlin style..

Yeah..it has really grown on us.

cant stand the styleing on these cars. they look like an 80 year old lady that had a face lift gone wrong. they are all around ugly. the interior is interesting. and i could possibly see myself driving inside one but once i got out id have to throw up after looking at the car.

• Agree 2

You would pretty much be in agreement with my teenage daughter on this...wife is not crazy about the styling either. Like I said, GTI and C30 are 1 and 2, followed very closely by the Camaro right now.

I was not a fan of the styling, but Nissan provided one for an article I was writing (it fit in with the theme). After driving the car across three states, I really came to like the car as a car. Still not turned on by the looks, but it drove great (especially during the awful weather) and it fit everything we needed to haul around on our adventure. If someone asked my opinion (assuming they like the looks), I could not provide a reason not to buy it.

Over All this is a nice vehicle in over all dynamics and quality.

As for the looks..... For me they are as bad as the Aztek was. I really see little in the styling that is attractive. But this has been a Nissan trademark of late as they take a left turn to ugly land now and then. The last wrong turn was the Cube.

But I guess if you own one you are inside and do not have to see it.

I feel if the styling had wider appeal this car would stlll 4 times what they are now.