Solar blast heading our way ...

The sun has unleashed a blast in Earth's direction, and that should cause brighter-than-normal auroral displays this weekend. Skywatchers won't be the only ones monitoring the storm: The folks in charge of power grids and orbiting satellites will also be on guard to make sure the disturbance in the (geomagnetic) force won't be disruptive.

Word of today's blast, technically known as a coronal mass ejection or CME, comes via SpaceWeather.com's Tony Phillips. NASA says the outburst sparked an M3.2-class solar flare, as well as a stream of electrically charged particles that is due to interact with Earth's magnetic field on Saturday. "Viewers can be on the lookout for increased aurora," NASA says.

M-class flares are capable of causing brief radio blackouts near the poles as well as minor radiation storms, but it's unlikely that this one will disrupt communication or power transmission networks. The forecast would be different if it were an X-class storm heading our way. As the sun approaches the peak of its 11-year activity cycle in 2013 or so, we can expect to see more powerful solar outbursts.

To keep tabs on the prospects for northern (or southern) lights, check SpaceWeather.com as well as the University of Alaska's Aurora Forecast website. The higher your latitude, the better your chances of seeing the lights. If you miss them, never fear: SpaceWeather.com will surely update its January aurora gallery over the weekend. And if you snag a great picture that you'd like to share, pass it along via the Cosmic Log Facebook page or msnbc.com's FirstPerson in-box.

Link: http://goo.gl/cBdza

We were able to see them about a month and a half ago but I missed them I've seen them before as a kid here in Dayton OH. I saw them once while on a deer hunting trip in SE OH also that was the best we heard about it and went to the top of a foothill.

Edited by 67impss

Very interesting.

I hate to bring it up, but I do wonder if this has anything to do with the strange noises people have been hearing in the sky recently.

That's probably HAARP.

Maybe. Although I personally don't buy into 95 percent of the conspiracy theories about HAARP, anything is possible.

Would love to see the Northern Lights...never saw them when I lived in Ohio and Michigan...out at my family's farm it gets very dark and on clear nights you can see a lot of stars..was too bright in the cities I lived in NE Ohio and SE Michigan to see much of anything.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar