JUNE 2012 CAR SPOTTERS THREAD!

Cute Latin kid came in to the shop yesterday with a pristine jade green '96 Caprice... except somebody hit the right fender, rendering it necessary to replace. I complimented him on the condition of the car, and seeing it had the factory aluminum wheels, I joked that I was glad to see it didn't have 24" rims.

He said he just took the 24s off recently :rolleyes:

Do dreams count?

I just popped out of one, in which I had been driving a '59 Impala coupe around, where I saw a string of about 15 late '30s-early 50s Cadillacs, all of them black & unrestored, driving in a convoy down the highway. Each one was 'wrong' in a wonderful way; I remember a circa '48 coupe, but it had an elongated greenhouse with a large (triangulated, but around 12" wide) stainless panel at the B-pillar, and a circa '50 convert, obviously a single bench ( 3-passenger), but it was clearly on the Series 75 chassis.... In my dream I was stumped on how I was stumped on ID'ing them- then I woke up.

I assume 'normal' folk dreams about things that are actually real on occasion.

Saw a '13 Mustang Boss 302 in that new funky green at on the rotator at the local Ford store yesterday.

One of the guys I race with, Tom, just bought one in orange.

And on the way to pick up my daughter tonight, I saw a light yellow Original series E type Jag. Flashed the head lights in the MINI at him, and he flashed back.

Feels good being an official British car owner, even if it really is German.

Cute Latin kid came in to the shop yesterday with a pristine jade green '96 Caprice... except somebody hit the right fender, rendering it necessary to replace. I complimented him on the condition of the car, and seeing it had the factory aluminum wheels, I joked that I was glad to see it didn't have 24" rims.

He said he just took the 24s off recently :rolleyes:

Those rims are all the rage around here, for whatever reason.

Saw a really clean 1973 Cutlass on them....blue...neat looking car, other than the wheels.

WOW WOW WOW, I wished I could have got a photo. On the way to the folks yesterday, I saw a beautifully restored 1952 Dodge Pickup. Was very cool. I loved the curved corner windows in the truck so you really had no blind spot. The truck was a custom gold color, but boy was it beautiful.

Two evenings ago, saw a few 300Cs in Atlanta. I wondered to myself, "it'd be nice to see an SRT8 sometime." A minute later, I pass a Charger SRT8 in downtown traffic.

Also, finally saw a Sonata Hybrid and then a new Escape this afternoon.

All black Acura ZDX with 22" looking black wheels rolling down the street. While, of course, I was in a new white ZDX at the gas station I sold earlier in the week.

Before that, an '06/08 looking Impala with all 4 wheels at wildly different cambers, rolling down the street. Looked like it had been to hell and back underneath, but not an abnormal thing for me to see in south Philly.

And speaking of Subies...this late 90's Impreza 2.5RS coupe. Haven't seen one of these in a long while, with the 2.5L, larger wheels, badging, etc. In Philly.

IMG_5723.jpg

And before that, a brand spanking new Lexus LS460 L AWD. You can spot a Lexus based on the paint and panel fit, but at the same time, this big "the most loaded they get" cruise ship looked so nondescript on the highway. An Equus has more character.

IMG_7772.jpg

Beautiful in a way. But plain to a fault.

Edited by caddycruiser

I really really want a BRZ or an FR-S. But I'm thinking if I got the Scion, I might order it with no badging, other than the "86" emblem on the fender. I dunno if I would rebadge it as a proper Toyota 86, or leave it like that though

caddycruiser - That's an LS460, you mean. I would have been extremely surprised to see a brand new LS430 since they haven't made them in years. :lol: Agree about the nondescript nature of the car though... the LS430 was completely forgettable on the outside, whereas this is forgettable in a more curvy fashion.

-------

Anyway, saw a Maserati GranTurismo out in the fringes of metro Atlanta. I'm always surprised at how far out from the big city I still see the higher-end cars...

caddycruiser - That's an LS460, you mean. I would have been extremely surprised to see a brand new LS430 since they haven't made them in years. :lol: Agree about the nondescript nature of the car though... the LS430 was completely forgettable on the outside, whereas this is forgettable in a more curvy fashion.

-------

Anyway, saw a Maserati GranTurismo out in the fringes of metro Atlanta. I'm always surprised at how far out from the big city I still see the higher-end cars...

Fixed :thumbsup:

As much as a Lexus LS looks like an LS, something about this looked fresher and duller, while also a little higher due to the AWD. Oh well. I rarely, ever, see these. I see more new S-class, 7-series, etc. daily.

IMG_20120609_114155.jpg

I'm cheating a bit here because I've seen this car several times a month for the past several years but never stopped to take a picture. Person worked at the Kmart that use to be in this lot, took a job at the Wawa that opened next door after the Kmart closed.

Pn the morning commute saw something unusual--a custom Geo Prizm...rolling on large wheels/tires, shaved badges and door handles, well-integrated ground affects and custom fascias, in a bright blue similar to Chrysler B5 Blue, with the personalized plate 'SURFACE'.

The Dodge Dart is Sharp, very nice car.

On the way into work with rain coming down, a late 50's or early 60's dodge pickup truck that you can tell is a restore in progress but had no doors on it. He was belted up and driving in the slow lane getting wet, but loving his drive. Wish I could have snapped a picture.

Also, on Sunday I went to get a haircut and go to Lowe's and saw this in the shopping center parking lot:

IMG_20120624_135706.jpg

This shopping center is close by my home and I can't say I've ever seen this '57 Pontiac around before. Have to keep my eyes open now!

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

'75 Cutlass Supreme coupe in that non-metallic baby poop green colour that was popular that yerr. Triple too, landau roof and interior matched.

EDIT: the proper name for the colour is Sage Green, not Baby Poop Green. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Edited by ocnblu

Saw a sharp dark red G8 GT today..

The Focus SVT reminded me of a buddy in Denver..about 10 years ago, he had an older Grand Cherokee, a '99 Mustang GT convertible, and a bright red Focus SVT. After getting married and having kids, his wife domesticated him and he now has a Prius and Sienna..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

'61 Imperial Crown coupe, rough shape, black primer & some surface rust, obvious rot repair started, ALL chrome/stainless removed. Gas jockey walked over when he saw me eyeballing it. Paper in window said $10K, jockey claimed he could give me the owner's name, have me mention his name and get it at half price. He also kindly let me in on the secret that "it has a V-8". :rolleyes:

DSC01664.jpg

Edited by balthazar