Why you should clean under your car

All 2000 Intrepids are created equal, but some are more equal than others.

This is a lesson in the importance of keeping your car clean, especially the undercarriage, especially during the winter.

IMG_9526.jpg

This is actually a neighbor's Intrepid. It's got 150k on it, 3.2. It came into the shop next door for the crank sensor and an idle pulley it desperately needs. While on the lift I took a peek at how it's holding up...

IMG_9524.jpg

IMG_9523.jpg

That, my friends, would be carpet. That's a really big hole in the floor. Not good.

Contrast with my car which has 209k on it and has seen its share of winters but gets washed religiously.

IMG_9528.jpg

IMG_9527.jpg

I swear the stuff they are using on the roads in NE has gotten more corrosive in recent years. I actually plan to clean up and repaint under the car at some point to get rid of what little surface rust has formed.

Your car looks a lot like my Miata underneath, and yes I plan to clean that up and paint it as well.

Ohio is rough on cars...

Glad your car is holding up so well...

Nice...I can still see the blue paint on the floorpans of my Jeep...surface rust on some of the oily bits, but no salt corrosion...12 years in dry Colorado and Arizona...guess I'll have to get it rustproofed when I move to damper climes..

• Agree 1

Nice job guys on keeping the cars so clean, I have heard that due to the harsh winters the last few years that many states on the east coast did up their salt solution for liquid spray and the amount of alternative ice breaker chemicals but are also very harsh on metal.

Very scary to see something that rusted out. Did you tell the guy about the holes?

What is automotive rust? In Cali we deal with paint oxidation.

Given the lack of snow and humidity, I figure that California (and the SW USA in general) should have no issues with rust or oxidation on cars at all.

It's the sun....paint oxidation is a big issue here in AZ. And clearcoat peeling.

Given the lack of snow and humidity, I figure that California (and the SW USA in general) should have no issues with rust or oxidation on cars at all.

It's the sun....paint oxidation is a big issue here in AZ. And clearcoat peeling.

Answer to that is too just LineX the whole outside of the vehicle and then you never have to deal with paint oxidation! :D

You also do not have to deal with door dents, rusting, etc. LineX covered SUV's rock for off trail use also. :P

Edited by dfelt

Answer to that is too just LineX the whole outside of the vehicle and then you never have to deal with paint oxidation! :D

You also do not have to deal with door dents, rusting, etc. LineX covered SUV's rock for off trail use also. :P

LoL... I've thought about painting the hood of my Jeep matte black....too many paint chips, cat scratches, bird poo marks, etc as it is now..

LoL... I've thought about painting the hood of my Jeep matte black....too many paint chips, cat scratches, bird poo marks, etc as it is now..

I met a guy at our Lynnwood 4 Wheel Parts store who had his whole Suburban inside and out covered in LineX and then built it up for a totally off road kick ass SUV and it looks freakin amazing. Never have to worry about anything just about. I also ran into a guy that was tired of door dings on his Volvo X90 so he LineX the whole car up to the window line. Not bad looking ether.

bingo. The clearcoat has started to peel away on the C-pillar of my Cobalt, right where it meets the roof. no rust anywhere though, but I wash it regularly.

however, in SoCal, I figured since there's a big ocean next to us we'd have some rust problems with all the moisture in the air. But I never hear anyone else complain about rust either.

Edited by Turbojett

Your originally from Ohio dude...camo and a gun rack FTW.

Edited by A Horse With No Name

Thinking black hood, some of the black wagon wheels, a lift and 35 inch Monster Mudders and black tube bumpers... :)

This is cool...

johnstrom001.jpg

johnstrom002.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Thinking black hood, some of the black wagon wheels, a lift and 35 inch Monster Mudders and black tube bumpers... :)

This is cool...

johnstrom001.jpg

johnstrom002.jpg

You might enjoy some modifications on your jeep, Cubical....