Drew Dowdell

Cadillac News: Cadillac Planning a 2.0 Turbo XTS

July 23, 2012

Drew Dowdell - Managing Editor

CheersandGears.com

Cadillac is readying a 2.0 turbo version of their full size XTS sedan model according to a diagram obtained by a CheersandGears.com reader. The diagram, sourced from a U.S. Cadillac dealership parts catalog, shows the 2.0T badging along with the FlexFuel badge we are familiar with from other GM vehicles.

med_gallery_51_134_1351821.png

When we first saw the diagram, we thought we were looking at evidence of a US bound livery model of the XTS similar to Lincoln’s MKT 2.0 Ecoboost. However, a source inside of GM informed us this was not the case, so do not expect to see the 2.0T version on the road if you live in the U.S.

This version of XTS will be for sale only in China and likely be an eventual replacement for the Chinese only Cadillac SLS 2.0T.

Being a cousin of the now departed Saab 9-5, we can expect the XTS 2.0T to have no less than 220 horsepower and 258 ft-lb of torque at 2000 rpm. The possibility exists for more performance as GM has been actively improving their 2.0T, so any engine spec between those above and the 270 horsepower 295 ft-lb of torque available in the Buick Regal GS is possible. All-Wheel-Drive is not expected to be offered.

In other XTS news, we have confirmed that there are no plans to sell the XTS in Europe contrary to what had been previously reported by other outlets, making the XTS limited to the North American and Asian markets.

Drew Dowdell is managing editor of CheersandGears.com and can be reached at Drew.Dowdell@CheersandGears.com or on twitter as @Cheersngears

Click here to view the article

Interesting, Interesting, Interesting.

I think this is the right approach to not have this in Europe. Focus on the ATS and CTS for Europe and then add other new models as Cadillac's fortune grows.

I think this is the right approach to not have this in Europe. Focus on the ATS and CTS for Europe and then add other new models as Cadillac's fortune grows.

+SRX

+SRX

Very True, I had forgotten about the SRX baby.

The XTS was as much for China as anyone. Not sure about the Turbo in this one unless they boost the power a little more. It will move it around ok but I would want a little more power to deal with the weight.

But it is better than a 2.5.

Cadillac needs to take these GM engines and make them their own with their own tunes and their own trim. I know it is not cost effective to to Cadillac only engines but they could do more to tune them to the Cadillac line and give us a little more from them vs a Chevy.

In the chinese livery market, i'm not sure how much power it really needs. Even just lifting the engine directly out of the 9-5 would likely be sufficient.

Ugh. I know the purpose of this, it is a car in which the owner will be driven, and it does not need any semblance of true motive capacity. I am repulsed by the idea, but for this purpose, perhaps the 2.5 would have sufficed.

Considering that the DTS and decades of its DeVille predecessors had a V8 standard, the idea of a full size Cadillac with a 4cyl is hard for me to fathom...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Yeah, why the complexity of a turbo 2.0, when a relatively simple "lump" of a 2.5 would have been enough to whisk a Chinese executive away in slow motion style?

The 2.0T can put out more horsepower and torque than any of the naturally aspirated Northstars and the torque comes on sooner too.

Yeah, why the complexity of a turbo 2.0, when a relatively simple "lump" of a 2.5 would have been enough to whisk a Chinese executive away in slow motion style?

No additional engineering. It's all been done already with the 9-5.

2.5'll be in the Impala tho.

the 9-5 i drove got out of its own way nicely.

of course, it had a stick, not an auto, which the XTS won't have. But still there was plenty of motivation.

2.5'll be in the Impala tho.

imagine all the rentals and fleet cars with the 2.5!

Impala isn't being built in China like the XTS is for Chinese consumption. We don't know is the 2.5 will be deployed in China just yet.

The other thing is familiarity. The SLS runs around with a 2.0t now.

The 2.0T can put out more horsepower and torque than any of the naturally aspirated Northstars and the torque comes on sooner too.

No additional engineering. It's all been done already with the 9-5.

I wonder if these engines can be made quiet enough for Cadillac style, though...I'm not familiar w/ the 2.0 or 2.5, but I'm used to 4cyl engines being horrid noisy little lumps...

Sure. The 2.0t is fine in the regal

But will they us balancers and other forms to make this engine silky smooth and luxury quality for the ATS?

I don't know if they've made any modifications to the 2.0T for the ATS, but I doubt they would go as far as adding balancers...

Would be interesting to see what the DB level is of this engine inside an ATS and compare it to BMW, MB, Audi with their equal engine and then post the results. Put up and shut up to the car magazines. :P

Not surprising that this one won't come over to Europe... Sad thing is I really think Cadillac needs a larger than CTS car as an image booster over here, even if the volumes are ultra-niche. The idea of a large, all American-looking automobile could very well help to turn people to their smaller and better suited for Europe cars and CUVs... The Escalade does that job well in the US, but for Europe I think it would have to be a sedan.

Edited by ZL-1

A car of the weight of the XTS will need the Turbo engine. The flat torque curve will help move the mass well vs the 2.5. Also the engine is not that complex etc under a hood that large. To be honest my 2.0 Turbo has more HP than my 68 and 72 BBC in stock from figured at Net HP.

Second witht he global market we need to remember cylinder count is no longer in play. Most countries the V8 is rare and to be honest if it were not for trucks here it would be very rare. this was like back when F1 went to Turbo engines and some companies were getting over 1000 HP plus out of Turbo 4 and 6 engines and made for some of the most powerful F1 cars ever.

I do agree from a preception standpoint the XTS should not have it here till later once it is more of an accepted idea.

Probably

Not surprising that this one won't come over to Europe... Sad thing is I really think Cadillac needs a larger than CTS car as an image booster over here, even if the volumes are ultra-niche. The idea of a large, all American-looking automobile could very well help to turn people to their smaller and better suited for Europe cars and CUVs... The Escalade does that job well in the US, but for Europe I think it would have to be a sedan.

Probably just as well to wait for the Omega flagship and will allow them time to fix the terrible dealer network over there.

Probably

Probably just as well to wait for the Omega flagship and will allow them time to fix the terrible dealer network over there.

I agree get the Euro network of dealers updated and fixed, before shipping in more product choices.

It should be a crime for a dealership to be allowed to call themselves a Cadillac dealership when they are a hole in the wall dump like a 2nd hand thrift store.

Probably

I agree get the Euro network of dealers updated and fixed, before shipping in more product choices.

It should be a crime for a dealership to be allowed to call themselves a Cadillac dealership when they are a hole in the wall dump like a 2nd hand thrift store.

But that is all the Rolls dealer is in Russia. LOL!

They do need to get this network sorted out and organized right before they make the leap again. If they fail this time even with good product it will be a long time before they could even consider going back again. We are at Strike Two now.

Probably

But that is all the Rolls dealer is in Russia. LOL!

They do need to get this network sorted out and organized right before they make the leap again. If they fail this time even with good product it will be a long time before they could even consider going back again. We are at Strike Two now.

:roflmao: Rolls are 2nd hand cars in Russia! :P

I agree with 2 strikes against them, they need to sort the network out, invest in proper luxury dealerships and then roll out the goods!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. TAF
      TAF
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      With Lincoln beginning to roll out an all-new Navigator, Cadillac is trying to sway current Lincoln owners with a new offer on the Escalade.
      Bloomberg obtained a memo sent to dealers that reveals a $5,000 discount on the Escalade for any owner of a Lincoln model from 1999 to the current model year. GM spokesman Jim Cain confirmed the authenticity of the memo.
      This beginning of an offensive by Cadillac to keep the Escalade ahead of the new Navigator. Ford is also rolling out a new Expedition which is expected to steal some of the huge market share GM currently has in the segment.
      The deal is available if you decide to lease or purchase a new Escalade, and can be combined with other offers.
      “I don’t know that this will hurt their launch. But it is a way for Lincoln customers to step up into something more meaningfully luxurious,” said Cain.
      Throwing some shade at Lincoln might not be the wisest idea. At the moment, a redesign for the Escalade isn't expected till 2020. Plus, we think the Navigator blows the Escalade out of the water when it comes to the interior. We can't say which one is the better driving model till we get some drive time in both.
      Source: Bloomberg

View full article
    • By William Maley
      With Lincoln beginning to roll out an all-new Navigator, Cadillac is trying to sway current Lincoln owners with a new offer on the Escalade.
      Bloomberg obtained a memo sent to dealers that reveals a $5,000 discount on the Escalade for any owner of a Lincoln model from 1999 to the current model year. GM spokesman Jim Cain confirmed the authenticity of the memo.
      This beginning of an offensive by Cadillac to keep the Escalade ahead of the new Navigator. Ford is also rolling out a new Expedition which is expected to steal some of the huge market share GM currently has in the segment.
      The deal is available if you decide to lease or purchase a new Escalade, and can be combined with other offers.
      “I don’t know that this will hurt their launch. But it is a way for Lincoln customers to step up into something more meaningfully luxurious,” said Cain.
      Throwing some shade at Lincoln might not be the wisest idea. At the moment, a redesign for the Escalade isn't expected till 2020. Plus, we think the Navigator blows the Escalade out of the water when it comes to the interior. We can't say which one is the better driving model till we get some drive time in both.
      Source: Bloomberg
    • By William Maley
      For the First Time Since 2011, GM’s Retail Market Share Tops 17 Percent for Three Consecutive Months
      DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today reported 252,813 deliveries in the United States in October.
      Pickup deliveries totaled 84,902 units, up 9 percent year over year, led by the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra. Crossover deliveries totaled 82,235 units, up 12 percent year over year, driven by the highest October sales ever for five different models: the Chevrolet Equinox and Traverse, the GMC Acadia and the Buick Encore and Enclave. Combined Cadillac SRX and XT5 sales were up 17 percent. The Chevrolet Bolt EV and Buick Encore had their best months ever. Combined Commercial and Government deliveries were up 10 percent year over year, and 11 percent calendar year to date. Selling-day adjusted sales were up 2 percent. Total sales were down 2 percent, reflecting lower passenger cars deliveries and one fewer selling day year over year.
      Retail Share Momentum
      Exceptionally strong crossover deliveries at Chevrolet, Buick and Cadillac helped the company achieve an estimated retail market share of 17 percent or more for the third consecutive month. The last time GM delivered three consecutive months at or above a 17 percent retail share was July-September 2011.
      Three crossovers reported massive year-over-year retail sales increases for the month: the Chevrolet Traverse was up 59 percent, the Chevrolet Equinox was up 22 percent and the Buick Enclave was up 75 percent. The GMC Sierra pickup also posted a large 23 percent increase in retail sales.
      “We are heading into the fourth quarter with good momentum, thanks to a strong U.S. economy and very strong pickup and crossover sales. In fact, Chevrolet and GMC have some of the fastest-turning crossovers in the industry,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “The all-new Chevrolet Equinox is off to a great start and we could have sold even more if we had more available. We also see tremendous upside with the launches of the 2018 GMC Terrain, Chevrolet Traverse and Buick Enclave. They are arriving in showrooms at the same time consumer confidence is at its highest level since 2000. Small business optimism has also stayed very high since last fall, and that bodes well for pickup and van sales.”
      Customer demand for trucks and crossovers, combined with incentive spending discipline, is driving strong average transaction prices (ATP) for GM vehicles. GM’s October ATPs, which are net of incentive spending, were more than $36,000, about $1,000 per unit higher than the third quarter average.
      The GMC brand, which grew total and retail sales during the month, had its highest ATPs ever, driven by the success of Denali models, which reached 30 percent of retail sales.
      Supplemental Data
      GM reduced month-end inventory from September and is on track to close 2017 with significantly fewer vehicles in stock than in December 2016. Daily rental sales in 2017 are expected to be down about 50,000 units year over year. GM’s October incentive spending as a percent of ATP was an estimated 13.5 percent, according to JD Power PIN estimates, down from the third quarter estimate of 13.7 percent. Spending is down about one percentage point from September.
    • By William Maley
      GM Leads Industry on Strength of Chevrolet and GMC
      Total, Retail, Commercial and Government sales rise on strong truck and crossover demand Best September U.S. retail performance since 2007 DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today reported a 12 percent year-over-year increase in total sales in September to 279,397 units, driven by a 17 percent increase at Chevrolet and an 9 percent increase at GMC.
      Crossover deliveries were up 43 percent, trucks were up 10 percent and passenger cars were down 11 percent. Retail deliveries, which accounted for about 80 percent of sales, were up 8 percent for GM’s best September retail performance since 2007. GM’s U.S. retail share is estimated to be up 0.6 percentage points. Commercial and Government deliveries were up 25 percent and 38 percent, respectively. GM has gained U.S. Commercial market share for 14 consecutive months. “Our new crossovers from Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac have been very well-received and Chevrolet had an outstanding month with the Silverado and Colorado,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “We are entering the fourth quarter with strong momentum, great products and a healthy economy.”
      GM Chief Economist Mustafa Mohatarem said all the key U.S. economic indicators point toward continued economic growth and stability. In addition, regions devastated by the recent hurricanes will continue to recover, helping spur new and used vehicle sales.
      “The overall strength of the U.S. economy is the main force driving the market,” he said. “With the U.S. economy strengthening, retail sales should remain strong for the foreseeable future.”
      September Retail Highlights (vs. September 2016 unless noted)
      Chevrolet
      Best September since 2004. Silverado was up 14 percent. Equinox and Traverse, Chevrolet’s newest crossovers, were up 69 percent and 104 percent, respectively, the best September ever for Equinox and the best month ever for Traverse.  Bolt EV had its best month ever with 2,505 retail deliveries and 2,632 total deliveries. Best month ever for Chevrolet electrified vehicles (Bolt EV and Volt), with 3,929 retail deliveries. Trax was up 8 percent for its best September ever. Impala was up 7 percent. Buick
      Enclave, Encore and Envision were up 41 percent, 12 percent and 44 percent, respectively. Encore had its best month ever. Highest ever SUV/crossover mix at 87 percent. LaCrosse ATP up 10 percent year to date. Buick maintained its retail focus with more than a 50 percent reduction in fleet deliveries year to date. GMC
      Terrain was up 66 percent for its best September ever. Overall Denali penetration was 33 percent, the highest monthly rate ever. Denali penetration on Sierra reached 38 percent in September. Year-to-date ATP is highest in GMC history at $43,210. Sierra had the highest ATP in its segment for 12th straight month. Cadillac
      XT5 was up 36 percent. Combined XT5 and SRX deliveries were up 12 percent year to date. Year-to-date ATP was up $260 to $53,748, higher than many German luxury brands Supplemental Data
      U.S. inventory levels are down about 160,000 vehicles in the third quarter. The company’s inventory target is unchanged, which is to end the year with stocks at or below last year’s level of about 850,000 vehicles, with fewer cars and more trucks, crossovers and utilities in the mix. According to JD Power PIN estimates, GM’s September incentive spending as a percent of ATP was 14.6 percent, which reflects special programs that support disaster relief. Year to date, GM’s incentive spend is below its domestic and many Asian competitors.  Year to date, GM has the lowest daily rental mix of any full-line automaker at 8.7 percent of total sales. GM remains committed to decrease daily rental sales by 50,000 units in 2017.
    • By William Maley
      Equinox, Acadia, Envision and XT5 Achieve Best July Ever
      Crossover and trucks account for 80 percent of sales for best monthly mix ever July incentive spending as a percentage of ATP below industry average, driving ATPs up nearly $1,000 Commercial sales up 40 percent for best July since 2007 Lowest daily rental sales mix of any full-line automaker DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today reported July U.S. retail sales of 202,220 vehicles, down about 14 percent from strong sales in July 2016. In July, GM’s crossovers and trucks account for 80 percent of sales for the company’s best monthly mix ever.
      While the U.S. market continues to moderate, sales of GM’s newest crossovers were strong in July:
      Chevrolet Equinox - up 4 percent for its best July ever. Chevrolet Bolt EV – 1,832 Bolts were sold in July for the best month ever. August will be the first month the Bolt EV is available on a national basis. GMC Acadia - up 30 percent for its best July ever. Buick Envision - up 89 percent for its best July ever. Cadillac XT5 - up 6 percent for its best July ever. GM’s July incentive spending as a percentage of average transaction prices (ATP) was 11.5 percent, more than 1 full percentage point below the industry average, and 0.5 percentage points below GM’s 2016 calendar year average. Some of GM’s competitors, without strong truck and crossover businesses, are offering significantly higher incentives across their entire portfolios, according to J.D. Power PIN estimates.
      In addition, GM’s ATPs were about $36,000, up nearly $1,000 from July 2016.
      “We have strategically decided to reduce car production rather than increase incentive spending or dump vehicles into daily rental fleets, like some of our competitors,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations.  “We are working hard to protect the residual values of our new products and growing quality retail and commercial sales, and July’s ATPs reflect that discipline.”
      GM’s U.S. commercial vehicles sales were up 40 percent from last July, the best July since 2007, led by strong large van sales (up 89 percent), small utilities (up 61 percent) and large pickup sales (up 21 percent).  Year to date, GM commercial sales are up 11 percent. U.S. daily rental sales were down more than 11,200 vehicles or 81 percent in July, as planned. In July, GM’s daily rental sales accounted for only 1 percent of GM’s total sales.  GM continues to have the lowest U.S. rental mix of any full-line automaker at about 7 percent of total sales year to date.    
      GM’s July total sales were 226,107 vehicles, down about 15 percent from strong levels last year.
      “Changing customer tastes have driven us to refocus our business on higher margin, faster growing segments, like the crossover segments. We are launching the most all-new crossovers in our history to take full advantage of the changes occurring in the U.S. marketplace,” added McNeil. “Our newest crossovers are performing very well in the marketplace and we’ll build on that momentum with the all-new Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Terrain, Buick Enclave and the introduction of the Regal TourX through the second half of 2017.”
      By the end of 2017, GM will offer customers the U.S. industry’s newest and broadest lineup of crossovers.
      “U.S. auto sales continue to moderate from last year’s record pace, but key U.S. economic fundamentals remain supportive of strong vehicle sales,” said Mustafa Mohatarem, GM chief economist. “Under the current economic conditions, we anticipate the second half of 2017 will be much stronger than the first half.”
      July Brand Retail Highlights (vs. July 2016 unless noted)       
      Chevrolet
      Colorado was up 22 percent. Both Camaro and Cruze were up slightly. Crossovers best year to date: Equinox, Traverse and Trax. Volt has best year to date. Volt and Bolt EV July sales combined for more than 3,300 deliveries. Silverado LD double cab was up 4 percent. Buick
      Best year to date retail sales since 2005, up 2 percent. July ATPs are highest since December 2015. SUV mix is highest ever at 85 percent. GMC
      ATPs are the highest ever, up 8 percent from last July. Sierra boasts the highest ATPs in the full-size pickup segment. Sierra HDs up 6 percent in July and year to date up 9 percent, the best in a decade Yukon up 4 percent. Yukon had its best July since 2007. Cadillac
      CT6 up 7 percent. Year to date, XT5 retail sales are up 10 percent vs. combined SRX and XT5 sales a year ago. July ATPs up more than $3,000 and lead the luxury market and more than $3,000 higher than its closest competitor. Guidance on U.S. Vehicle Inventory Levels
      We anticipate we will end 2017 at or below last year’s level, with fewer cars and more trucks, crossovers and utilities in the mix. Pickup, crossovers and utility sales, GM’s strength, are expected to be stronger in the second half of 2017 vs. the first half of the year. We continue to monitor the marketplace and will make additional production adjustments if needed.
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook