Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Am I being a dick to used motorcycle sellers?

FAPTurbo

I want to know how not to be a dick when dealing with people selling used motorcycles. This is all private sales; no dealerships.

The problem is that their price is often too high when Kelley Blue Book and mileage values are factored in. I'm reasonable but when you have bikes that are nearly ten years old, being priced as if they're three years old, that's either being obnoxious or showing no research whatsoever.

So when I send an offer, I provide a link to the KBB website, as well as links to other classified ads in nearby cities of the same bike or one that's similar. Also, I've included links to sales threads on forums devoted to the particular bike brand or model.

I think I'm being polite. I say 'Hello,' and I state in the first line what my offer is. The second line has the aforementioned links to show why I feel my offer is fair. Then I ask any questions I may have and finish everything off politely.

I've been called a lowballer twice, one person said I'm a cheapskate, and one guy, using his real name and contact info, told me to eat a bag of dicks.

My approach is pretty normal for most Buy/Sell things when it comes to electronics and computer parts.

Am I doing something wrong?

Here's how it should go.

"Hello sir and/or mam,

I am emailing you to inquire about the item you have for sale.

Now, I realize that driving around on a glorified moped is for mentally deficient people, but even so I would like to point out that this asking price is pretty half-baked.

With that said, I am interested in your motorized bicycle with some plastic cladding on it, and I am willing to offer the KBB value of it to you.

As soon as your mind has finished processing this information, give or take 2 weeks (its a lot to think about, I know) please respond back. I look forward to hearing from your brain-damaged self.

Sincerely yours,

Sr. Poopy Pants."

serisously? being called a low-baller and a cheapskate for offering KBB value?

me thinks you're not the one who needs to go eat a bag of dicks.

seriously; their overpriced bikes can rot in their driveways until they grow a brain and lower the price to a reasonable amount. meanwhile you can always take your business elsewhere. preferably to a sane and reasonable person.

Edited by Turbojett

KBB is not a bible. It can often not be even close to real transaction values in an area at a given time.

That said, there is no need for the seller to be rude when addressing an offer. Likewise, if your offer is far apart from their asking price, maybe there is no need to make the offer in the first place.

The buyer is under no obligation to buy. The seller is under no obligation to sell either.

I understand KBB isn't the bible. But I live in a market with a lot of used motorcycles, and the recession has caused dealers to cut prices on new models or even go out of business. So used sellers should realize that their machine isn't worth a whole lot.

What I'm looking for isn't vintage or collectable.

For example:

http://vancouver.en....3221267301.html - This is obscenely expensive compared to the KBB value of $3,195. Heck, the Canadian MSRP is $4,999!!

Or,

http://www.usedvicto...-Green_17955976 - Again, KBB value is $3,105. The addition of the 'Power Commander' and exhaust means that the FI system has been remapped, not to mention all the stuff on it for the purposes of going fast. Once that's factored in, offering $3,200 is reasonable, in my opinion. What he's asking is what a three year old bike is worth; not one that's nearly ten.

Or,

http://vancouver.en....3233029167.html - KBB value puts it at $2,785. I like Buell's, but this particular year had issues with its drive-belts and some fuelling problems. First model year glitches and whatnot. The mods done to the bike do little to enhance performance, and instead just produce more noise. And let's just ignore the blue lights.

The lowest the seller would go is 4K...

cmon-son-20.jpg

Get the f*ck outta here with 'dat bo' $h!. That's a ten year old bike that belongs to a dead brand.

What we have is a disconnect. All I'm doing is providing information that the seller should have considered beforehand.

Do you mean new new or old new?

Old new. It's an '09 with a hair over 10K miles, and still incredibly clean.

Way to go, you are not the problem, they are. I have found you have 3 kinds of bikers.

The morons who think they are better than everyone else and their bike no matter what the age or miles or condition is supiorer to anything else out there.

The thugs, these are gang bangers who find it cool to be in a gang, dehuminize men or woman who are not part of them and still think they have superior product that is better than new or reasonable used.

Last is the Resonable person, these people love bikes, but decide it is time for someone else to enjoy their ride at a reasonable price.

In regards to the ad's you posted, all are way over priced and I see nothing special about them to justify the price. Ask them for better details as to why the price they ask is justifiable compared to KBB as a guide for price? You are being fare and professional and if they want to respond as a dick, so let them. No hair off your back.