Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

A V6? A Half ton?

Maybe.

I have been quietly continuing the search for a plow truck to replace the ROPOS, and I went to see and drive this truck today: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3265427508.html

Not at all what I really want , but it is the only truck I've looked at that doesn't have serious rust issues.

It won't tow and haul the way I'd like, and pushing a heavy snow might be a challenge, but time is short and I haven't found much else.

The only real concern I have with this truck is the mismatch of the body lines between cab and bed. It can be seen in the pics, and measures about an inch. What I don't know is why. I don't know if it is just trashed cab mounts (they seem a bit rough, but are still intact), or it means that the truck took a hit to the rear putting an upkink in the frame.

It tracks straight, and drives just fine.

Well, the ones I've seen that were hit in the back have a different misalignment problem than what is apparent in the photo, usually the top front edge of the bed hits the cab and then the gap stays tight at the top between cab/bed and wide at the bottom. From the photo, it appears the bed might be level and the cab is down at the back. Now that you mention it, I think you're right about that shared cab/front bed mount.

I'd need to see it in person or at least in full profile on level ground in a photo before guessing further.

At work we have an 800 2500 ext cab 4X4 with a wheel hoist on the back, used as a lot truck to haul wrecks around mostly. Those guys have abused the heck out of it and it is bent in the middle in the opposite direction... bed tight to the cab at the bottom, wide at top. Not awful, but just enough to notice.

EDIT: after looking at the single photo once again, and if you say there are no visible rust issues on the frame or cab/bed mounts, it might just be a bit of bending from heavy snow that otherwise hasn't hurt anything as long as the driveline isn't stressed from some geometrical issue related to the misalignment.

That 4.3 is a workhorse that can take a good bit of stress, imo. I think you're right, this is your best bet so far, Camino.

Edited by ocnblu

Make sure it has good door hinge pins and bushings, too. Those brass bushings are pretty soft. I hate to see a GM truck of this vintage with saggy doors because people don't pay attention and eventually ruin their doors.

The issues with the '97:

- both bumpers are rotted out

- sway bar end links rotted away/detached

- all brake lines need immediate replacement (wouldn't drive it the way it is)

- tires iffy

- Major oil leak (I think from pan gasket). When I checked the oil, it didn't even register on dipstick.

- Filthy interior

- A/C inop

Edit: bottoms of both doors badly rusted and diver's side has huge dents up from bottom (drive through accident at McD's).

Make sure it has good door hinge pins and bushings, too. Those brass bushings are pretty soft. I hate to see a GM truck of this vintage with saggy doors because people don't pay attention and eventually ruin their doors.

Very aware of this due to a hack repair on my Tahoe by previous owner (still needs to be fixed). The 1/2 ton is excellent in this regard. Much better than expected.

Edited by Camino LS6

What if you just mounted a plow on the Tahoe? Fisher evens makes one specifically for half-tons...

Or on a different, lower-mileage Tahoe, perhaps?

I had wanted to turn the Tahoe and the ROPOS into a single,decent, do-it-all truck - but the trucks are unobtanium in the current market, so maybe I'll go another route.

Truck is really nice.

Red isn't my thing, and I'd rather have barn doors, but this is the lowest-mileage example I've seen in ages.

Had to snap it up since it will do the job (mostly), and was offered at a bargain price.

Now you should 'fluff up' your current Tahoe, sell it, then flip this one for 2K more than you paid for it and go down to VA and buy that 3500 with the combined funds :AH-HA:

Edited by BigPontiac

Truck is really nice.

Red isn't my thing, and I'd rather have barn doors, but this is the lowest-mileage example I've seen in ages.

Had to snap it up since it will do the job (mostly), and was offered at a bargain price.

Now you should 'fluff up' your current Tahoe, sell it, then flip this one for 2K more than you paid for it and go down to VA and buy that 3500 with the combined funds :AH-HA:

I can see the logic in that, but I've been on the hunt since June - I just want to find a good plow and call it a day!

My green Tahoe is still one of the cleanest 2-doors out there (it's even cleaner underneath than the new one), it is likely worth as much as much as I'm paying for the '98 or more. I think that's good enough for me for now.

I just couldn't make myself put a plow on a truck with 200k on it.

Congratulations, although red is not my thing.  The dash skull is wicked.  I can understand and appreciate why you didn't want a crewcab longbed though.  As this video illustrates, they're not very maneuverable in tight quarters:  

Congratulations, although red is not my thing. The dash skull is wicked. I can understand and appreciate why you didn't want a crewcab longbed though. As this video illustrates, they're not very maneuverable in tight quarters:

You should move to Texas...not one but two good parts trucks for the Mother Truck...hmmmm

Thanks Ocn, the current owner has a thing for skulls (he gets to keep them), and yeah, red isn't my thing either - but that's just a detail.

The red is a nice change from your other vehicles...I think the truck looks fantastic

And man!

Did I ever resist temptation during this search!

That '64 Camino really tempted me, and while I was test-driving the red Tahoe we passed a '70 Camino for $2,800! But the biggest temptation of all was a garage-find 1972 454SS El Camino in black for $4,500.

It was all I could do not to call on that one, Factory console and buckets, been stored inside, pretty straight...