Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

GMC News: Spying: Is This The New GMC Canyon?

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

October 18, 2012

We've been seeing spy shots of the new Chevrolet Colorado for the past year or so. What we haven't seen is the new GMC Canyon.. Until today.

PickupTrucks.com have got their hands on what could be the new GMC Canyon. In the pictures, the mule is wearing a different front fascia than in previous spy shots.

"We've heard reported promises from GM executives, saying that the next-generation Canyon will go further than prior models to separate the GMC offering from its Chevy platform-mate. If the prototype caught here is the GMC Canyon, and the Chevy Colorado retains the styling from the globally available truck we've already seen, then it appears that GM might actually make good on its promise to make the Canyon a distinctive midsize pickup." the report goes on to say.

The new Colorado and Canyon are expected to come out six to eight months after the new Silverado and Sierra are introduced.

Source: PickupTrucks.com

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster

View full article

SWEET! I like that meaty tire on there. I am so glad they're making some changes to the design for Americans. That global Colorado looks like a tadpole in the front. Something I haven't said about a pickup truck since... the current Tundra came out. :yuck:

I am not a fan of the kick up at the lower rear side window line! It interupts the flow making the bed seem as if it does not belong! Both on the extra cab and the crue cab version it looks silly and distorted!

SWEET! I like that meaty tire on there. I am so glad they're making some changes to the design for Americans. That global Colorado looks like a tadpole in the front. Something I haven't said about a pickup truck since... the current Tundra came out. :yuck:

I understand the TadPole comment, but over all it is still an appealing small truck.

GMC having a more Masculine look will grab a fare share of market like the Terrain. It can polarize some, but you have to stand out from the rest and GMC needs to do this with their whole product line.

Chevy can be Feminine in style but GMC needs to stay Butch.

Never understood the female style of the current Yukon, that should have been the Chevy look and the Chevy Tahoe should have been the GMC look.

This will replace my Terrain. My only worry is that it will not be available when my lease runs out.

Big things come to those that wait! ;)

Are we sure that this is the GMC version? If it is, I'm disappointed that it's using the Chevy Colorado cab (rear doors) and not getting it's own design. I definitely do not like that upkick in the rear window of the extended cab too. Was hoping GM would truly differentiate these two pickups, like the supposed full-size trucks.

Are we sure that this is the GMC version? If it is, I'm disappointed that it's using the Chevy Colorado cab (rear doors) and not getting it's own design. I definitely do not like that upkick in the rear window of the extended cab too. Was hoping GM would truly differentiate these two pickups, like the supposed full-size trucks.

Unfortunately no. Given the different fascia on the mule, it could be the Colorado. But with the amount of camouflage, its hard to tell.

My guess is when more of the camo comes off, then there will be a difference.

The prototype, seen here, was caught testing in Michigan and shows some key front fascia changes when compared to Chevrolet's Colorado pickup, which was originally developed for the global markets.

The basic premise here is that it may be a GMC because US version Chevy will be similar to Australasia version. But what if it is indeed US Chevy version?

I wonder if the Colorado here will a the new Chevy face like the Traverse and the Impala.

I would be down with that. The tadpole look is soooo last year.

I wonder if the Colorado here will a the new Chevy face like the Traverse and the Impala.

Nah. While I think GM will revise the Colorado's front fascia for the North American market, it won't look like the theme that you're seeing on the Traverse or Impala. I would think they would bring it in line with the 2014 Silverado and the Canyon in line with the 2014 Sierra.

With how long this truck is going to be around I would hate to see it stuck looking like a old Malbu for 5 or more years. I was not happy they did not change the new Malibu more in the nose.

And the Cruze?

I'd be betting yes...

My gut reaction is that the prototype seen is the Chevy Colorado and not the GMC Canyon. Why did the photographer not get a better frontend shot to make a better call?

Guest Guest

Judging from the side glass, I'm 99% certain from looking at these photos that the bed is higher than what the rest of the world has gotten. Thank God. That alone won't be nearly enough for me to stop hating it, but it's a start.

I'm actually hoping for a resemblance between the new Silverado and Colorado, and Sierra and Canyon. There should be a big bro/little bro thing going on. The compact trucks should NOT resemble the new Impala or any car, as good looking as it is.

• Upvote 1

We are getting a different bed than most markets. Many of the other markets are getting their more traditional beds with the outside tie downs. The States will get the bed we are used to here.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      There is a growing number of automakers who are announcing plans to electrify their lineup, while others are considering it. GMC is the latter category according to a new report from CNBC.
      “Certainly, it’s something we’re considering," said Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC when asked if there was the possibility of an electric Sierra.
      Aldred wouldn't say much more than that except mentioning that General Motors CEO Mary Barra has already made comments about "an all-electric future." 
      It wouldn't be surprising if an all-electric Sierra sparks an all-electric Chevrolet Silverado since they are basically the same truck, allowing GM to take advantage of economies of scale and spreading the cost of development. But the cost of batteries is still a big drawback. Researchers at Boston Consulting Group say each individual battery cell generally cost $150 to $200. Aldred said that battery tech is still expensive "that makes it difficult to target mainstream segments, unless a carmaker like GM is willing to accept lower margins." But that's where GMC could take the lead as it is currently positioned as something more premium than its Silverado brethren, with such features as the Multi-Pro tailgate.
      Ford has already announced plans for an F-150 EV, and there is start-up automaker Rivian with the R1T that is expected to go into production in late 2020.
      Source: CNBC

View full article
    • By William Maley
      There is a growing number of automakers who are announcing plans to electrify their lineup, while others are considering it. GMC is the latter category according to a new report from CNBC.
      “Certainly, it’s something we’re considering," said Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC when asked if there was the possibility of an electric Sierra.
      Aldred wouldn't say much more than that except mentioning that General Motors CEO Mary Barra has already made comments about "an all-electric future." 
      It wouldn't be surprising if an all-electric Sierra sparks an all-electric Chevrolet Silverado since they are basically the same truck, allowing GM to take advantage of economies of scale and spreading the cost of development. But the cost of batteries is still a big drawback. Researchers at Boston Consulting Group say each individual battery cell generally cost $150 to $200. Aldred said that battery tech is still expensive "that makes it difficult to target mainstream segments, unless a carmaker like GM is willing to accept lower margins." But that's where GMC could take the lead as it is currently positioned as something more premium than its Silverado brethren, with such features as the Multi-Pro tailgate.
      Ford has already announced plans for an F-150 EV, and there is start-up automaker Rivian with the R1T that is expected to go into production in late 2020.
      Source: CNBC
    • By William Maley
      GMC is giving its off-road oriented Sierra AT4 some more performance with a recently announced package. Called the AT4 Off-Road Performance Package, it will add a 6.2L V8, performance air intake, cat-back performance exhaust system, and a set Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires with 18-inch alloy wheels. The intake and exhaust add 15 horsepower and 9 pound-feet of torque over the stock 6.2L V8 - total output stands at 435 horsepower and 469 pound-feet of torque.
      The price tag for this option is $4,940 which may put some people off. You can buy most of the parts a la carte, but as The Truth About Cars notes, it will be slightly more expensive than buying the package.
      The AT4 is aimed at the likes of the Ram 1500 Rebel to give buyers an off-road ready truck. This includes a two-inch suspension lift, four-wheel drive with a two-speed transfer case; locking rear differentials, skid plates, Rancho off-road shocks, and hill descent control.
      The AT4 Off-Road Performance Package is available now.
      Source: GMC, The Truth About Cars

Sierra AT4 Powers Up With New Off-Road Performance Package
      DETROIT — Defining the premium off-road segment, the 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 is now available with the all-new Off-Road Performance Package. The Off-Road Performance Package adds factory-installed performance upgrades that bring additional power and purpose to the Sierra AT4.
      “The 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 debuted all-new, purposeful technologies for the premium truck segment and the new Off-Road Performance Package takes it a step farther,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global GMC. “It offers optimized performance, both on- and off-road.”
      The Sierra AT4 Off-Road Performance Package includes:
      6.2L V-8 engine mated to 10-speed automatic transmission. 18-inch machined aluminum wheels with Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires. Cat-Back Performance Exhaust System. Performance Air Intake. Thanks to these additions, the AT4 Off-Road Performance Package delivers up to 435 horsepower and 469 lb-ft of torque — increases of 15 horsepower and 9 lb-ft of torque over a Sierra equipped with a conventional 6.2L V-8 engine. The 6.2L is manufactured at GM’s Tonawanda engine plant in New York and was recently named a Wards 10 Best Engine for 2019.
      For 25 years WardsAuto editors have evaluated every all-new or significantly improved engine or electric propulsion system available in production vehicles in the U.S. Vehicles must have a starting MSRP less than $64,000. The editors score eligible vehicles on horsepower, torque, technology, observed fuel economy, relative competitiveness and noise characteristics.
      The Off-Road Performance Package’s upgrades build on the Sierra AT4’s distinctive formula of authentic off-road capability, innovative technology and bold design, along with GMC’s premium refinement.
      The Sierra AT4 was introduced earlier this year, and content includes:
      Standard 2-inch factory-installed suspension lift. Standard 4WD with a two-speed transfer case, locking rear differential and skid plates. Standard off-road-tuned Rancho monotube shock absorbers. Standard Hill Descent Control. Standard Traction Select System. Standard GMC exclusive, industry-first MultiPro Tailgate. Standard black chrome finish on the fog lamp bezels, fender surround and grille insert. Standard body-color grille surround, door handles and bumper. Standard exclusive athletic interior trim elements. Standard red vertical recovery hooks. Available segment-first Multi-Color Head-Up Display. Available segment-first Rear Camera Mirror1. Available GMC-exclusive, industry-first Carbon Fiber Pickup Box2. A full suite of advanced available safety features including Surround Vision, Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert, Front Pedestrian Braking and Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking1. The Sierra AT4 Off-Road Performance Package has an MSRP (excludes tax) of $4,940 and is on sale now.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      GMC is giving its off-road oriented Sierra AT4 some more performance with a recently announced package. Called the AT4 Off-Road Performance Package, it will add a 6.2L V8, performance air intake, cat-back performance exhaust system, and a set Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires with 18-inch alloy wheels. The intake and exhaust add 15 horsepower and 9 pound-feet of torque over the stock 6.2L V8 - total output stands at 435 horsepower and 469 pound-feet of torque.
      The price tag for this option is $4,940 which may put some people off. You can buy most of the parts a la carte, but as The Truth About Cars notes, it will be slightly more expensive than buying the package.
      The AT4 is aimed at the likes of the Ram 1500 Rebel to give buyers an off-road ready truck. This includes a two-inch suspension lift, four-wheel drive with a two-speed transfer case; locking rear differentials, skid plates, Rancho off-road shocks, and hill descent control.
      The AT4 Off-Road Performance Package is available now.
      Source: GMC, The Truth About Cars

Sierra AT4 Powers Up With New Off-Road Performance Package
      DETROIT — Defining the premium off-road segment, the 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 is now available with the all-new Off-Road Performance Package. The Off-Road Performance Package adds factory-installed performance upgrades that bring additional power and purpose to the Sierra AT4.
      “The 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 debuted all-new, purposeful technologies for the premium truck segment and the new Off-Road Performance Package takes it a step farther,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global GMC. “It offers optimized performance, both on- and off-road.”
      The Sierra AT4 Off-Road Performance Package includes:
      6.2L V-8 engine mated to 10-speed automatic transmission. 18-inch machined aluminum wheels with Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires. Cat-Back Performance Exhaust System. Performance Air Intake. Thanks to these additions, the AT4 Off-Road Performance Package delivers up to 435 horsepower and 469 lb-ft of torque — increases of 15 horsepower and 9 lb-ft of torque over a Sierra equipped with a conventional 6.2L V-8 engine. The 6.2L is manufactured at GM’s Tonawanda engine plant in New York and was recently named a Wards 10 Best Engine for 2019.
      For 25 years WardsAuto editors have evaluated every all-new or significantly improved engine or electric propulsion system available in production vehicles in the U.S. Vehicles must have a starting MSRP less than $64,000. The editors score eligible vehicles on horsepower, torque, technology, observed fuel economy, relative competitiveness and noise characteristics.
      The Off-Road Performance Package’s upgrades build on the Sierra AT4’s distinctive formula of authentic off-road capability, innovative technology and bold design, along with GMC’s premium refinement.
      The Sierra AT4 was introduced earlier this year, and content includes:
      Standard 2-inch factory-installed suspension lift. Standard 4WD with a two-speed transfer case, locking rear differential and skid plates. Standard off-road-tuned Rancho monotube shock absorbers. Standard Hill Descent Control. Standard Traction Select System. Standard GMC exclusive, industry-first MultiPro Tailgate. Standard black chrome finish on the fog lamp bezels, fender surround and grille insert. Standard body-color grille surround, door handles and bumper. Standard exclusive athletic interior trim elements. Standard red vertical recovery hooks. Available segment-first Multi-Color Head-Up Display. Available segment-first Rear Camera Mirror1. Available GMC-exclusive, industry-first Carbon Fiber Pickup Box2. A full suite of advanced available safety features including Surround Vision, Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert, Front Pedestrian Braking and Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking1. The Sierra AT4 Off-Road Performance Package has an MSRP (excludes tax) of $4,940 and is on sale now.
    • By William Maley
      Late last week, the first spy shots of the next-generation Cadillac Escalade made their way onto the web. Much like the spy shots of the Chevrolet Suburban that came out back in May, we can't tell much about the exterior due to the heavy camouflage. There are certain details that can be made out such as Escala-like grille and the headlights moving horizontally.
      Like the new Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra, the Escalade and sister SUV models will utilize the T1XX platform. One of the key changes this platform brings is an independent rear suspension, something we first saw in the Suburban spy shots. The 6.2L V8 with 420 horsepower is expected to continue into the next-generation model, teamed with a new 10-speed automatic. There is also the possibility of the twin-turbo 4.2L V8, detuned to 500 horsepower or so.
      Expect to see the 2020 Escalade sometime next year.
      Source: Car and Driver, Motor Authority

View full article
  • My Clubs