Gobble Spots...November 2012

Great spot! But unless I'm mistaken, what you saw was a 1955 1st Series Chevrolet 3600 truck, not a 1954 model year. I'm basing this off the side hood emblem, which is the style used on the '55 1st Series (and of course different from the '54 models). Again, great find and it would look awesome restored.

IMAG0858.jpg

Couldn't get a better shot; people standing all around. The '54 was getting fueled up at the time I snapped this. The ol' Stovebolt sounded like it was idling at 200 RPM.

Well if the rest of it has the same patina without being rotted out, I'd just go over it mechanically, add power steering and power brakes and maybe a front disc conversion, put another bumper on the front and ride it. It's pretty neat, what I can see of it.

That truck was in pretty sorry shape, though it ran good. running boards were coming off and there were holes in the box & rear fenders. I'd love to have something like that just as a beater, which appears to be exactly what it was. But I suppose I'd feel really guilty just leaving it as a beater...

I will guess that is a rental, with FL tags. Local dealer has quite a few Darts and he is discounting them. All of them are autotragics, too, so I don't understand the problem selling these. I think they're cool looking.

Still haven't seen a Dart in the wild. My normal commutes don't take me near the closest Dodge dealer, so that's probably part of why I haven't seen one...still in a large metro area like this, I would think there would be some out and about..

IMAG0862.jpg

OK, big deal--a friggin' Caravan, right? What grabbed my attention with this particular vehicle was the fact that it was a short, non-Grand Caravan SXT--but it had the side trim of the long, Grand SXT model. Every other short Caravan SXT I've ever seen has a black rub strip for the side trim, not the body-colored strip that the Grand SXTs come with.

I'm a horrible geek when it comes to pre-2008 Mopar minivans. I've had an interest in them since they first appeared in late 1983, though I don't have much, if any interest in the current ones. I didn't care for the Grand Caravans & "long" Town & Countrys of the previous generation (2005-2007), mainly because they were all larded up with the stow & go seating system that added a few hundred pounds.

Our last Caravan was a 2006 "short" SXT; it had the easily removed middle row buckets and split rear bench. I really wish I still had that vehicle.

OK, big deal--a friggin' Caravan, right? What grabbed my attention with this particular vehicle was the fact that it was a short, non-Grand Caravan SXT--but it had the side trim of the long, Grand SXT model. Every other short Caravan SXT I've ever seen has a black rub strip for the side trim, not the body-colored strip that the Grand SXTs come with.

I'm a horrible geek when it comes to pre-2008 Mopar minivans. I've had an interest in them since they first appeared in late 1983, though I don't have much, if any interest in the current ones. I didn't care for the Grand Caravans & "long" Town & Countrys of the previous generation (2005-2007), mainly because they were all larded up with the stow & go seating system that added a few hundred pounds.

Our last Caravan was a 2006 "short" SXT; it had the easily removed middle row buckets and split rear bench. I really wish I still had that vehicle.

Very interesting. All the shorties of this gen do all have black side trim regardless.

I like oddball combo's, and in the 1996-1997 generation, always spot the rare 3-door (no driver's side slider option, was still the case when my mother had a '97 Grand Voyager, also with an optional cassette at the time). So many configurations in these years, they could be very unique.

Wow! I'm heartened to know I'm not the only minivan geek out there. :)

The other oddball I really like is the SWB Town and Country models from 1996-'98. One year they were referred to as "SX" and another year was the "LX" (though the "LX" was also a trim level of the long models).

In 1999, you could get a SWB Voyager SE with the 3.8L V6 (normally restricted to upper-end LWB models).

We had a '96 Voyager SE that was really loaded up with goodies, but it had the "base" 3.0L V6 & 3-speed ATX. Wish I'd held onto that one as well!

On edit: another odd minivan I used to see was an '89 Grand Caravan SE with the 2.5L turbo and 3-speed ATX. The turbo was supposedly restricted to the SWB models but at least one left the factory in a Grand. I saw it pretty much daily near my office; even talked to the original owner a few times about it. When I first asked him about it, he just shrugged and said he bought it because it was exactly what he was looking for. I lost track of it around 2000.

Edited by NeonLX

Saw a bronze '72 Plymouth Duster ('72 had a unique taillight treatment), and a yellow w/ black graphics '72 Dodge Demon on the freeway this morning....it's a rare sight to see 1 40 yr old car on the daily grind, let alone 2, and both A-body Mopies...wow.

Wow! I'm heartened to know I'm not the only minivan geek out there. :)

The other oddball I really like is the SWB Town and Country models from 1996-'98. One year they were referred to as "SX" and another year was the "LX" (though the "LX" was also a trim level of the long models).

In 1999, you could get a SWB Voyager SE with the 3.8L V6 (normally restricted to upper-end LWB models).

We had a '96 Voyager SE that was really loaded up with goodies, but it had the "base" 3.0L V6 & 3-speed ATX. Wish I'd held onto that one as well!

On edit: another odd minivan I used to see was an '89 Grand Caravan SE with the 2.5L turbo and 3-speed ATX. The turbo was supposedly restricted to the SWB models but at least one left the factory in a Grand. I saw it pretty much daily near my office; even talked to the original owner a few times about it. When I first asked him about it, he just shrugged and said he bought it because it was exactly what he was looking for. I lost track of it around 2000.

This is one reason the new Ford Transit Connect shortie sounds intriguing. I too prefer a shorter MINIvan.

Yeah...they left me in the dust when they evolved to the current crop of mega-large "mini" vans. The friggin' Honda looks enormous now, as does the Sienna. The Mopars aren't quite as bad, but they're still on the huge side. And, I'm sorry, but the word "mini" just should not be applied to anything that weighs 4700-lbs.

We've got an '08 Chevy Uplander SWB where I work and, while heavy, it's very maneuverable. The 3900 V6 yanks it around pretty well, too.

New 2013 dark brown Enclave cruising along yesterday, looked to be on a deal swap. The LED "spears" on the headlights look incredible from in front on the highway. Still a great looking ute.

IMG_7188.jpg

Then another new White Diamond 2013 one 10 miles later, with NY tags.

Setting out for a hike in the park, I ran across a navy blue 1938 Pontiac 6 sedan in really good shape in the parking lot. Young hipster family driving it, the one little kid said "don't take our car!"

Oh and some sort of new Ferrari, red, ho hum.

Our first newly refreshed 2013 ZDX arrived tonight. New grille, front & rear sonar sensors and power folding mirrors. The grille is interesting, I forgot what the previous one was like. Small change but noticeable back to back.

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

We were watching an episode of Rick Steves where he visited London, England. In one scene, there were cars heading towards Trafalgar Square. One of the cars was a PT Cruiser. That cracked both my daughter and I up. :)

Edited by NeonLX

Saw a strangely customized '64-66 Chevy pickup...light green and white stock style paint, but lowered to an inch or so off the ground, big chrome multi-lug wheels in the front, dually rear fenders (on a fleetside) with huge rear tires and giant, deep rear wheels and a diesel rumble. Was scraping bottom on a curb cut..

An older gen (I dislike these) oval Taurus but in SHO guise. The wheels and unique spoiler made them better, and this is a well kept example of the rare V8 oval beast.

IMG_4574.jpg

Later, a 2011 Volt parked in the front row of the local Toyota dealer's used car lot. Odd.

IMG_4950.jpg

I almost got shot taking this picture. This thing is parked near a huge lumber pile on a really run down piece of property. I saw smoke coming from the chimney of a shed near the lumber pile, but figured I could sneak on, take the picture, and escape quickly again. WRONG. Soon as I had snapped the pic and began heading back to the road, some scraggly dude came out of the shed, yelling and brandishing his side-by-side shotgun. I yelled that I only wanted a picture of the car, then ran like hell. Haven't run that fast in 40 years.

And I've never really been nuts about 1960 Oldsmobiles in the first place.

On edit: What you see of that Chevelle in the corner of the pic is the best part of the car. It didn't even have a front clip.

IMAG0875.jpg

Edited by NeonLX

Yeah, that was the Chevelle I noted in the other pic...I don't remember it having a front end, but I guess it was there. Another Chevelle was perched back by a fence and that must have been the one without the front clip.

It all kinda went by in a blur. :)

Re: John Deeres...a big part of my life was spent on various operators platforms. Here's a 1959 JD 730:

9371010-R1-026-11A-1.jpg

1965 3020:

3020_snow1.jpg

Edited by NeonLX

Yeah, the 1960s John Deeres were fantastic machines. We had a 1961 4010 diesel that kept going and going, well into the 1970s. I also had a 1965 4020 diesel that could yank 5-bottoms through the dirt like nothin'. The 3020 in the photo above wasn't ours, but the surrounding countryside (and tropical weather) look just like home.

Edited by NeonLX

This looks a lot like the 2010 my Dad had, but ours wasn't as rusty..

l.jpg

I was driving it when I was 12--30 years ago! Seems so long ago and far away.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Tractors are always cool for everyone. Just something neat about driving one, playing with one. I think it has to do with the open access to the world and no safety nanny devices like in a car. you truly are one with the world driving. :P

• Agree 1

The 730 in the pic I posted is similarly soothing as the JD model A (the steady rhythm of that 2-cylinder engine). I'm one of those weirdos who likes a hand clutch, too! :)

On edit: It is so cool to discover other tractor geeks here!

Edited by NeonLX

The 730 in the pic I posted is similarly soothing as the JD model A (the steady rhythm of that 2-cylinder engine). I'm one of those weirdos who likes a hand clutch, too! :)

On edit: It is so cool to discover other tractor geeks here!

Yup, our '52 Model A had a hand clutch, and an electric starter PEDAL. We had two Model Bs as well, and to start those, you had to open the petcocks, turn on the gas flow, and pull the flywheel. Ah, good times.

Ha! Flywheel start! We had one of those too, not sure what model it was but I think it was a GP. It was my grandad's tractor and it mainly sat around doing nothing because it was on steel lugs. We'd start it a couple of times per year to keep things "freed up". :)