Sign in to follow this  
CanadianBacon94

Playstation 4

52 posts in this topic

Eh, not sure if anyone else on a car forum is all that interested about it but it seems to be quite the uprgrade from the console of old

A custom octo core AMD "Jaguar" 64 bit processor over the old "cell" processor that likely costed more than sony will ever get out of it

A custom AMD 7850 GPU vs a custom Geforce 7800 gtx

Eight gigs of GDDR5 vs 256 of XDRRAM and 256 of GDDR3

Pictures of the actual console have yet to be released

I'm pretty impressed with the specs. That's about on par with my PC which has a GTX 470 in terms of sheer power. Of course, my computer is nearly four years old so I suppose we can take that for what it's worth too.

Needless to say, console gamers are going to be getting graphics upgrades that are sorely needed.

Pass. Sony sat on their ass and lost, they OEM panels from Samsung and others, nothing new or great about Sony TV's, Camcorders, computers or even this game console. They are on a slow death march which on name alone will keep them going but eventually will fad away.

XBOX that is a cool freaking console and the upgrade based on what I have read and what I have seen on campus will blow this away. Better options than the over priced Sony stuff.

Wonder what the price will be..

Release date?

They said below the 500 & 600 price of the PS3 more inline with what Microsoft has charged for new XBox's. This Xmas. Guess it will be a busy time for PS4 or what ever they call it and the New XBox. I am very excited for the new xbox.

The rumor is the Xbox will be called Xbox 720, a name that i very much dislike, i much prefer Sony's consoles to their xbox counter part, the build quality and reliability along with free online gameplay made the PS3 always seem Superior to the 360

Rumor has it the Xbox will run nearly identical hardware

Eh, not sure if anyone else on a car forum is all that interested about it but it seems to be quite the uprgrade from the console of old

A custom octo core AMD "Jaguar" 64 bit processor over the old "cell" processor that likely costed more than sony will ever get out of it

With those specs, it will probably make a great panini too.

I am a bit surprised that Sony did adopt a more conventional hardware approach. The PS2's Emotion Engine CPU was complex, and so was the Cell. Pairing the two together in the first generation of the PS3 was an exercise in dumbness. I guess they figured that the PS4 could be their strike three.

Sony appeared to be 'above' conventional hardware that was sourced from PC's. Sega learned the hard way with the Saturn that thinking outside the box (and relying on two totally different CPU's to work in tandem with each other) was a bad idea. They fixed that with the Dreamcast which sourced off-the-shelf parts and was a familiar developer environment.

TL;DR: Features, as we've seen the past several years, will continue to define consoles. The PS3 did win in that realm at the start, but Xbox will have the upper hand this time.

With those specs, it will probably make a great panini too.

Well the Jaguar is their low power CPU around 15w ( for the four core version although that includes a GPU) and a 7850 card, including the fan on the card which runs pretty inefficiently since they are basically maxed out having to push air sideways is about 100- 125 w

current PS3 has a 190 w Power supply, but only pulls a little more than 70 w

on the other hand ive seen my original PS3 pull more than 220w (this is the version with a set of PS2 hardware inside too that fapturbo was talking about) The PS2 back compatibility is why (along with how cheap the new ones look) i had mine refurbished when it yellow light of doomed

good god it's noisy though, but still quieter than the xbox

Both my old xbox and xbox 360 is wisper quiet compared to the PS3 and the PS3 has Lag on booting up and responding during loading of games, etc. XBOX clearly beats them hands down and has a far superior online experiance. From what I have seen via friends that are working on XBOX 720, people are going to really like it and the new updated Kinect. They are truly taking it to the next level. I am very excited for this.

Both my old xbox and xbox 360 is wisper quiet compared to the PS3 and the PS3 has Lag on booting up and responding during loading of games, etc. XBOX clearly beats them hands down and has a far superior online experiance. From what I have seen via friends that are working on XBOX 720, people are going to really like it and the new updated Kinect. They are truly taking it to the next level. I am very excited for this.

Well i hope its good (kinect) i don't find Kinect or PS move that useful, they both try to ape the Wii, which has also lost it's luster, and end up exactly in the same situation

I'm just wondering how old your Xbox 360 is because the newer ones pull a lot less power and heat, mine is about 2008 and my PS3 is the launch console so it doesn't have any of the improvements the more current ones do and the thermal paste is probably gone

Both my Xbox and Xbox 360 are from the orignal releases. I have had to replace power supplies as that was a fault on the original set of 360's, but over all it has been bullet proof. I do always buy the top of the line models to make sure I have a system that lasts and so far it has done really well. I have kept up on all the updates for it also.

My PS3 is also from the original release and while I have kept it updated and it clearly beats the original Xbox, it does not have the quality that my Xbox 360 seems to have and like I said, it is noisy compared to the 360. Not sure why, but it does make noticable noise that others have commented on it when we play it.

ThreadNecromancer.png

Well let's just say after seeing both E3 shows, it seems microsoft lost the plot somewhere

are there any reedeming features of the Xbox One?

opinoins anyone?

Let me amend that statement just now: the Philips CD-i was designed to have a resource-frugal OS. In comparison, a good chunk of your resources on the Xbox One are dedidated to the frigging OS. So, by a careful re-evaluation of one simple fact, one of the worst game consoles ever made is actually better than the Xbox One.

One again, good job on your big fail Micro$h!.

Now, here's some more gif to go on your PB and J.

Seven_Xbox.gif

tumblr_mo7m8sC2E41r03eaxo1_r1_400.gif?t=

Sony;s got used game support, $399 price, and what appears to be better launch titles. We'll see. Then again my newest console is an original Xbox. I use a PC. :P

So many nerds getting mad about new consoles that are 10 years behind my PC that is already four years old.

• Upvote 3

I Also use PC, but i was just hoping someone this console gen knew what they were doing, if metal gear solid V is a console exclusive i'll have to get my hands on a playstation somehow

And don't rag on it too much about power, its almost the equivilant of the top of the line GPUs from two generations back

Let me amend that statement just now: the Philips CD-i was designed to have a resource-frugal OS. In comparison, a good chunk of your resources on the Xbox One are dedidated to the frigging OS. So, by a careful re-evaluation of one simple fact, one of the worst game consoles ever made is actually better than the Xbox One.

One again, good job on your big fail Micro$h!.

Now, here's some more gif to go on your PB and J.

Seven_Xbox.gif

tumblr_mo7m8sC2E41r03eaxo1_r1_400.gif?t=

Black Knight I have to totally disagree with you in this regards as the XBOX is a very efficient system for what it does and allows and easily out does the the Phillip CD-i, Playstation or Wii. You can suck on the Linux turd of life all you want but their open source crap has still not made it the standard of the world and folks can piss all they want about Microsoft, but they built a MultiBillion dollar industry that employees millions of people generating millions of paychecks and by the way brought Standardization to an electronic device that billions now have in their home.

Fact is that UNIX had it's chance in the Early 90's, I was with Digital Computer who led the way to build a standardized UI and a standardized OS based on the best of everyones version. Sadly everyone was so pig headed about who had a better UNIX that the whole project exploded and everyone built their own terrible UI that never really made a difference.

Then you have the LINUX Turd. This came out with much potential, but everyone swore it had to be 100% open source and as such you now have a fragmented LINUX Turd World that will never replace Windows.

Apple has come closest after multiple restarts and almost deaths of the company over the last 20+ years and still what seems intuitive to some is a mess to others. Some folks can easily work on both windows or mac systems, then you have those that are confused by Windows and finds Mac easier. Then you have the majority of people who find Windows easier and Mac a confusing mess.

There is plenty of room for all to survive and operate but at this time you still only have one industry leading Giant. Microsoft's glory days are really behind them, Apple is in the midst of them now and the next big thing will be on the horizon.

You can hate the company all you want, but is it really the company or the fact that you lost out on building a career and making money on the growth of what the majority find to be the best game console out there?

• Downvote 5

dfelt, that post shows how out of the loop you really are on this one. Have you actually read about and researched the specifcations of the Xbox One versus the PS4? I'd place a bet on "no."

Let's bring you up to speed then.

Xbox One:

- Basic Spec's:

• 8 GB DDRM Memory (5 GB for games, 3GB for OS)
  • 500 GB Storage
  • AMD Radeon graphics
  • AMD 8 Core CPU (2 Quad Core Jaguar modules)
  • Kinect is bundled with every console
  • $499 starting price

- The Real Bull$h!:

• The Xbox One's restrictive DRM makes sharing, buying, selling, and trading used games either impossible or, at the very least, outrageously expensive and/or very difficult. Publishers can set restrictions on used games as they see fit and, as we all know, EA and Activision certainly are in dire straights for money and can benefit from the extra revenue.
  • The console must connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours to remain functional. Good luck with that if you live in a rural area and can't have or can't afford a broadband internet connection.
  • Kinect is bundled with every console and is also required for the console to function. Kinect never is truly off unless you unplug the damn thing and the damn console completely. Couple that with the fact that the Xbox One has to be online at least once every 24 hours and you can see how some people wouldn't allow the thing in their living room or bedroom because of "OMFG BIG BROTHER ASSHAT CAN WATCHES ME SPANK IT WITH JERGENS."
  • The Xbox One OS is the biggest resource hog Micro$h! has turned out since Windows Vista, requiring 3 GB to function all in the name of SPORTS! CALL OF DUTY! TV!
  • Games are region locked and the console looks like it could serve as a stand-in for an '80s alarm clock.

Playstation 4:

-Basic Spec's:

• 8GB DDRM Memory (7 GB for games, 1 GB for OS)
  • 500 GB of storage (user upgradable!!!)
  • AMD Radeon graphics
  • AMD x86-64 CPU
  • PlayStation Move is an inexpensive option
  • $399 starting price

-The Good Stuff (or The Rape and Pilage of Micro$h!):

• No restrictive DRM to tell you what to do with your own games. You can buy, sell, trade, and lend used games as you see fit without any restrictions whatsoever.
  • The PS4 can be offline forever and ever and ever and you can still pretty much play any disc-based game as much as you want.
  • Don't want PlayStation Move? Fine, don't spend the extra $60 to $70 bucks to buy it. (Sony probably just has it around this time to ensure that games designed for the Xbox One's Kinect can be ported smoothly to the PS4.)
  • Only one measly gig of memory is needed to run the OS. In layman's terms, this means smoother, faster, and more enjoyable gameplay.
  • No region-locked games with this console. If someone released a badass Europe-only title that you gotta have, well, just hop on over to eBay and buy it. It'll work in your console, unlike with those other guys.
  • Oh, don't forget it's $100 bucks cheaper. Suck it, Micro$h!.

You'd have to be an avid fanboy to defend the Xbox One at this point. The spec sheets speak for themselves. The Xbox One is going to flatline in the market place. People I know who currently own Xbox 360s will not be buying or replacing their console with a new Xbox One. Microsoft decided to cave in to the greed of big publishers, and their anti-consumerist policies will cost them dearly as a result.

Watch Sony's rollout of the PS4 at the E3 convention this week. People cheered at the idea of lending, buying, selling, and trading their own games ... which is honestly sad. But if Sony is going to support the consumer on this one, people will vote with their wallet and it won't be hard to tell which console is going to be the hot item this Christmas.

Edited by black-knight
  • Upvote 2

I Also use PC, but i was just hoping someone this console gen knew what they were doing, if metal gear solid V is a console exclusive i'll have to get my hands on a playstation somehow

And don't rag on it too much about power, its almost the equivilant of the top of the line GPUs from two generations back

Metal Gear Solid is pretty much the main reason why I own a PS3. I've loved the series since I was a kid. I played the ever-loving crap out of MGS2 and MGS3 on my old PS2.

MGS5 and MGS: Ground Zeroes will be on 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, and PC as far as I know.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this