Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Mercedez Benz News Mercedes-Benz To Unveil Next Gen S-Class In May

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

March 7, 2013

One vehicle that some of us thought would make its debut and didn't was the next-generation S-Class. But we now know when Mercedes-Benz is planning to show it.

Diamler Chairman Dieter Zetsche told Autocar that the next S-Class will be shown in May in Hamburg, Germany.

"The S-class is the most important car of all to us. Its success makes us stronger going forward," said Zetsche.

Source: Autocar

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

The Autocar story tends to tell me they are not happy with their S car and as such have held back to start over. I think Mercedes finally sees Audi and BMW as moving in on their turf, but what is not said is that I suspect they are actually seeing Cadillac sales crunch in on their sales.

It will be interesting to see where they go stylistically w/ the new S class.. I've grown to like the current car, the previous one was ok, but I miss the huge grilles and heft of the W126 and W140 generations of the '80s-90s. Interesting that while Mercedes has moved towards smaller grilles, Audi and Lexus have moved towards massive grilles in recent years.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The spy photos make it seem like the new car is very similar to the current S-class. But I like the current car's look and it keeps resale values high when they don't do radical changes. The S-class in its 7th model year is still outselling the A8, 7-series, Panamera, XJ, and LS460, those cars are in some trouble when the new one arrives.

The options list on the new S-class is incredible, heated arm rests, HVAC system with filtration, ionization and 6 fragrances, hot stone massage package, magic ride control, magic vision control, all LED lights and the high beams that bend around oncoming cars are pretty slick too. I read the features list, the technology is unmatched. What other car can steer itself up to 120 mph? None of them.

• Agree 1

6 fragrances and hot stone massage? Reminds me of what they do in Japan to produce Kobe beef.

Well a fridge is an option, maybe in model year two there will be a hamburger press and grill option.

I am actually disappointed on one thing though, it looks like the 7-speed transmission will carry over, I thought the 9-speed would be ready at launch. I guess time will tell. I also wish the convertible was a 4-door, that would be epic, but a 2-door is better than none at all.

6 fragrances and hot stone massage? Reminds me of what they do in Japan to produce Kobe beef.

Well a fridge is an option, maybe in model year two there will be a hamburger press and grill option.

I'd be happy w/ an in-dash coffee maker and bagel toaster.

I'd be happy w/ an in-dash coffee maker and bagel toaster.

Maybe on the Pullman model.

I am actually disappointed on one thing though, it looks like the 7-speed transmission will carry over, I thought the 9-speed would be ready at launch. I guess time will tell. I also wish the convertible was a 4-door, that would be epic, but a 2-door is better than none at all.

I think I'll wait until the MCE. Holding out for either a hibachi or a smoker.

RE: the transmissions, I read that they finally paired the 7-speed to the V12, so they may want to get some mileage out of that. Question though... ever wonder why Mercedes and Infiniti have skipped the even number of gears though? They've both used 5, and then when everyone went to 6, those two companies went to 7.

I think I'll wait until the MCE. Holding out for either a hibachi or a smoker.

RE: the transmissions, I read that they finally paired the 7-speed to the V12, so they may want to get some mileage out of that. Question though... ever wonder why Mercedes and Infiniti have skipped the even number of gears though? They've both used 5, and then when everyone went to 6, those two companies went to 7.

7 > 6. Like 9 > 8.

• Agree 1

Granted, Moltie, but because of the odd numbers they've been behind Lexus since the last LS. Meanwhile, Lexus, Audi, and BMW are on par with one another.

For what it's worth, anyway. I have a feeling that anything past 8 will be overkill, both in the Dart and in the S-Class.

Edited by Lamar

Granted, Moltie, but because of the odd numbers they've been behind Lexus since the last LS. Meanwhile, Lexus, Audi, and BMW are on par with one another.

For what it's worth, anyway. I have a feeling that anything past 8 will be overkill, both in the Dart and in the S-Class.

I suspect MB could care less what Lexus does, since Lexus is just a Toyota and primarily a US phenomenon.

• Agree 1

I suspect MB could care less what Lexus does, since Lexus is just a Toyota and primarily a US phenomenon.

True that. The Lexus LS mostly only sells here, and at a $30,000 discount to the S-class. If a base V8 LS460 was $95,000 sales of that car would drop off a cliff. Lexus is no threat in Europe or most parts of Asia to Mercedes and Mercedes beats them in the USA.

• Agree 1

>>"True that. The Lexus LS mostly only sells here, and at a $30,000 discount to the S-class."<<

Average transaction prices are much closer than that.

S400 is averaging 85K ($8K under MSRP), base LS460 is averaging $71K (4K under MSRP). That's a 14K difference, not 30.

S550 AWD is averaging 90K, LS460L AWD is averaging $81K, a difference of 9K.

S-class is heavily discounted.

The new S-class should push the price gap. But if you look at China, the LS460 sells at 68% of what the S500 sells for. Lexus sold 43,000 cars in Europe in 2011, but 17,000 of those were the CT200h. First half of 2012, Lexus sold 23,000 cars in Europe. Mercedes sells about 550,00 cars a year in Europe, I don't think Lexus is too much of a threat.

I don't see mercedes pushing the s-class sticker up when they have to knock so much off already. Market has spoken- it's way overpriced.

They need to hold the line on prices until inflation/time & the market catch up to the sticker- probably at least 3 years.

S-class has been the #1 selling big luxury car in the world for a long time. Since 1951, 3.5 million S-classes have been sold, more than any other high end luxury car. So yes, the market has spoken for 60 years and 3.5 million vehicles. The base car probably won't change in price, but the convertible could be $150k, the Pullman over $200k, that is how they go up market, without losing the current demographic.

The S-class has dominated this segment probably more than any other car has dominated a segment, with the 3-series being the next closest. Audi and BMW are at least in the game, Lexus has spent billions on a car that can't compete globally, and Acura, Lincoln, Cadillac and Infiniti haven't even tried. How many cars dominate the segment so much that Ford, GM, Honda and Nissan won't even make a run at it.

• Agree 1

s-class wasn't a "high-end" lux car until the 1990s. 'Mid' is closer to the truth. But the problem is, the heavy reliance on fleet sales & heavy discounts. MB needs to address this.
Charge closer to sticker prices and eliminate fleet sales and the s-class drops to a fraction of its volume. They can't do that.

s-class wasn't a "high-end" lux car until the 1990s. 'Mid' is closer to the truth. But the problem is, the heavy reliance on fleet sales & heavy discounts. MB needs to address this.

Charge closer to sticker prices and eliminate fleet sales and the s-class drops to a fraction of its volume. They can't do that.

+1

A friend of mine has an '83 S-class... it's no more luxurious than my Toronado and in some areas the build quality of my car is much better (no visible screw heads in the dashboard or on most exterior lighting. The 3.8 liter V8 is no match for even the wheezy 307 and the diesel engine in the Benz made the Olds 350 diesel look like a V-series Cadillac.

Is the 1983 380SEL a nice car? Sure.... but GM was still doing better interiors at one of their lowest points in history than Benz was doing at the same time, so the value of spending all that extra money for a Benz over even a Buick or Oldsmobile isn't all that clear to me.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

How many $100,000 sedans did Cadillac sell last year? Or Lincoln or Acura or Infiniti? The S-class is king, let's see any of those 4 brands put a V12 sedan on sale or enter this class and sell 60-80,000 cars a year. Hyundai has actually gotten closer than those 4 have. S-class sets the standard, brings the technological breakthroughs and I look forward to seeing the new one.

I'd definitely take an '80s Mercedes over a similar vintage Buick or Oldsmobile any day. I find it funny that those cars are even mentioned in the same sentence.

Back then, S-classes were built like tanks and are still desirable even today. The W220 (2000-2006), by comparison, is a POS.

How many $100,000 sedans did Cadillac sell last year? Or Lincoln or Acura or Infiniti? The S-class is king, let's see any of those 4 brands put a V12 sedan on sale or enter this class and sell 60-80,000 cars a year. Hyundai has actually gotten closer than those 4 have. S-class sets the standard, brings the technological breakthroughs and I look forward to seeing the new one.

How many of those sold at or above $100k?

Even at $80k, Cadillac, Lincoln, Infiniti and Acura aren't there. And the US economy and auto industry has been struggling, sales may be down but they are still #1 in the segment. Sales will pick up with the new model.

Few cars define the segment, Camry/Accord share midsize sedans, 3-series has compact luxury, 5-series/E-class share mid-size luxury sedan and S-class has full size luxury. I suppose you could add F150 for pickups to that list as well. S-class is the segment benchmark and the rest have been chasing for 25 years now, few cars can hold that distinction, the 3-series is probably the only other.