TCC: 2006.5 Kia Optima Review

Variance

2006.5 Kia Optima

Everything you ever wanted in a 1998 Toyota Camry.

by John Pearley Huffman (2006-04-24)

The most impressive thing about Kia's new Sedona minivan is that it competes so effectively against contemporary competition like the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna. What's disappointing about Kia's new Optima four-door sedan is that, while it's better than any previous Kia sedan, it doesn't make the big leap forward the Sedona has. The Japanese competition is still clearly better.

But before getting to the specifics here, what's the deal with this car being sold as "2006.5" model? The Kia guys mumbled something about it having to do with when the car went on sale in Korea and certain legalities surrounding that… so it couldn't be sold as a 2007 model. And they didn't want it to be confused with the old-style Optimas that were sold as 2006 models. So they compromised on 2006.5. Yawn. They could have been at least a little bit creative. Couldn't this car have been marketed as a 2006.74, 2006.63 or 2006.82? You know, just for fun?

Ordinary, and built to stay that way

Built atop a new platform that isn't shared with the Hyundai Sonata, the Optima comes from the Kia plant in Hwaseong, which the city fathers there daringly contend is a "pleasant city." Not necessarily a unique city, but a pleasant one. That sums up the car too. Of course the city has 234,182 people in it. And the car is only rated to carry five.

The car's engineering couldn't be more mundane. The structure is, naturally, a steel unibody. Of course the front suspension is a set of MacPherson struts and the independent rear suspension is a multi-link system. In base $16,355 LX form, the standard powerplant is a 2.4-liter four with DOHC heads and four valves over every cylinder. Drinking regular fuel that engine produces 161 horsepower at 5800 rpm which it then sends to either a five-speed manual or five-speed automatic transverse transaxle which in turn spins the front wheels. The steering is by rack-and-pinion, there's a disc brake behind each of the four wheels, and the standard tires are P205/60R-16s on steel wheels.

The Optima's styling is conservative and tidy but well short of interesting; there's some 2004 Camry in there along with touches from the 2000 Maxima and 1999 Mazda 626 and those headlights look like they were borrowed from an Altima. At 186.4 inches long overall on a 107.1-inch wheelbase, it's 4.7 inches shorter than a current Accord sedan even though the space between the wheels is only 0.8 inches less lengthy.

The cabin is just as conservatively and derivatively styled as the exterior, but it's roomy and both side and side curtain airbags are standard on all models. An AM/FM/CD player with six speakers, power windows, power mirrors, air conditioning, and 60/40-split folding rear seats are all standard. Pay up for the automatic (with "Sportmatic" manual shifting) and cruise control, keyless entry, and a tilt/telescopic steering wheel incorporating audio controls come along in the $17,650 bargain.

Beyond the base lays the better-equipped EX with the four or LX and EX models equipped with a 2.7-liter V-6. The EX four and both V-6s get the automatic transmission as standard equipment. The aluminum V-6 has a DOHC, 24-valve design, but output is a relatively modest 185 horsepower. Traction control, electronic stability control, and brake assist are optional in one bundle on all models except the four-cylinder LX. And most buyers will likely up for the appearance package, which includes a blacked-out grille and 17-inchers with P215/50R-17 Michelin tires.

With the major Japanese competition now self-consciously styled to appear more upscale and avant garde, the Optima's straightforward decoration can be seen as somehow refreshing - here's a car that isn't trying to be something it isn't. On the other hand, it's not very interesting.

Dynamically, kind of dynamic

First, let's dispense with the V-6 option. The 2.7-liter engine is creamy and smooth, but the additional 24 horsepower it offers over the four isn't particularly perceptible in daily driving and the initial extra expense (the EX four starts at $19,395, the EX six at $20,400) and drop in fuel economy (the EPA says the four goes 24 in the city and 34 on the highway while the six can only manage 22/30) are significant. But beyond that, the four-cylinder engine is a good one; the torque production is good, it runs smoothly and in a normal driving environment it's tough to imagine it proving itself inadequate.

In fact the five-speed automatic and four-cylinder combination works so well that it's a wonder that Kia has decided to offer a V-6 at all. Push the four hard - using the transmission's Sportmatic feature does extract a bit more performance - and it hardly seems to notice that it's being abused.

The chassis is also very composed even if its limits aren't particularly high. Even when wearing the 17s this isn't by any stretch of the imagination a "sports sedan," but it doesn't haul itself over and wail in extreme understeer on every corner either. And the stability and traction control systems go about their jobs without being intrusive or mechanically annoying; they just keep the car from doing anything stupid. And if the car's not doing anything stupid, neither is the driver.

What the Optima lacks is much in the way of direct feedback to the driver. The steering is quick enough and accurate enough, but never particularly entertaining. And the chassis is always comfortable, but lacks the reflexes necessary to star amongst its peers. It maintains its dignity at all times, but never has much fun.

Value, value, value

What the Optima will - and must - sell on is value. Fortunately that's still a Kia strong point. There's just about as much rear legroom in the Optima as in the Camry and in some critical interior dimensions this Korean actually betters the Japanese competition. And there's 14.8 cubic feet of cargo capacity in the trunk and a big opening to throw stuff in there too. Throw on the optional leather package to the EX and the result is a roomy, competent, easygoing everyday machine at a keen price.

So what if the interior's design won't have Frank Gehry reconsidering his fundamental assumptions about architecture? No, the Optima won't have all the neighbors swooning in jealousy. And the valet parkers will shuttle it to the back lot to sleep with the rental cars and kitchen help's heaps. This car is a smart buy with an incredible warranty that stretches out well past the term of most purchase loans. And it seems well built.

So it's boring. At least it's a cheap bore that will last a long time.

2006.5 Kia Optima EX

Base price: $19,395

Engine: 2.4-liter in-line four, 161 hp

Drivetrain: Five-speed automatic transmission, front-wheel drive

Length x width x height: 186.4 x 71.1 x 58.3 in

Wheelbase: 107.1 in

Curb weight: 3179 lb

Fuel economy (EPA city/hwy): 24/34 mpg

Safety equipment: Dual front airbags, side airbags, side-curtain airbags, four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes

Major standard equipment: Power windows/locks/mirrors, cruise control, CD player, keyless entry

Warranty: Ten years/100,000 miles powertrain, five years/60,000 miles basic

Link: http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Re...180.A10330.html

ah, beat me to the topic...yeah, Kia builds a yawner but no thrashing from the press, just a nice 'oh, its dull, but that ok'.

Such FKING bullsh1t.  If this was a new Malibu built like that they would GRILL GM's ass to the coals.

Well, this is actually a kind of oddball review. Most other places actually glow over it a bit.

That, and you can bet your life on it, GM only WISHED they could ever come up with an interior of equal quality and style for a mid-size sedan, or a powertrain as smooth and creamy, or a structure so solid and composed...

ah, beat me to the topic...yeah, Kia builds a yawner but no thrashing from the press, just a nice 'oh, its dull, but that ok'.

Such FKING bullsh1t.  If this was a new Malibu built like that they would GRILL GM's ass to the coals.

Well, first of all the Maibu is ugly. Second of all, it's ugly, 3rd of all it's got a cheap interior, 4th it's more expensive than the Optima, 5th, it only has a 4-speed, 6th it's ugly.

Did I mention Malibu hurts my eyes?

Anyway, I agree that this review is odd in that it's not very harsh, but at the same time, it's fair. He clearly states it's boring, it's V6 isn't worth buying over the 4, and it's not sporty. But then, it's mission is to be cheap, safe, comfortable, and fairly well built transportation. Which it does well. The other day I was behind a car that I thought had a really nice back end design, now I realize it was the new Optima. From the back, I like it a lot, it's like Lexus IS meets Mazda 6. The front I'm not so crazy over, but hey...it looks better than a Malibu! :P

Well, this is actually a kind of oddball review.  Most other places actually glow over it a bit.

That, and you can bet your life on it, GM only WISHED they could ever come up with an interior of equal quality and style for a mid-size sedan, or a powertrain as smooth and creamy, or a structure so solid and composed...

i saw one at the autoshow it sucked. very third world. very GEELY

Um... as I said, it's V6 competes well with 99 Grand Ams.

Otherwise, the 4cyl/5spd version doesn't sound all that bad being that it weighs much less than other midsizers. The exterior styling isn't all that bad either, even though it's completley unoriginal. An Infiniti Q45 front mated to a love child of an older Maxima and Mazda6. The interior is just hilariously outdated looking, though. Welcome to 1999. That must be its theme considering cars from that year are ones it competes best with. :P

i saw one at the autoshow it sucked.  very third world.  very GEELY

SHUT UP!

HeHe Very True! :thumbsup:

Well, first of all the Maibu is ugly. Second of all, it's ugly, 3rd of all it's got a cheap interior, 4th it's more expensive than the Optima, 5th, it only has a 4-speed, 6th it's ugly.

Did I mention Malibu hurts my eyes?

Anyway, I agree that this review is odd in that it's not very harsh, but at the same time, it's fair. He clearly states it's boring, it's V6 isn't worth buying over the 4, and it's not sporty. But then, it's mission is to be cheap, safe, comfortable, and fairly well built transportation. Which it does well. The other day I was behind a car that I thought had a really nice back end design, now I realize it was the new Optima. From the back, I like it a lot, it's like Lexus IS meets Mazda 6. The front I'm not so crazy over, but hey...it looks better than a Malibu! :P

Very good points! Agree 100% :thumbsup:

viper, I AGREE! imagine that...... :scratchchin:

Um... as I said, it's V6 competes well with 99 Grand Ams.

Otherwise, the 4cyl/5spd version doesn't sound all that bad being that it weighs much less than other midsizers. The exterior styling isn't all that bad either, even though it's completley unoriginal. An Infiniti Q45 front mated to a love child of an older Maxima and Mazda6. The interior is just hilariously outdated looking, though. Welcome to 1999. That must be its theme considering cars from that year are ones it competes best with. :P

have you sat in one yet?  in gray with cloth its downright nasty

Um yes, I admit it's a boring design, however, the interior was as solid as a rock, and the materials were top-notch. Unlike the Lucurne I sat in Detroit, the headliner was made of the thinest material available from automotive suppliers, its begin to come off...

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g153/Kri...nt=4beba9ef.jpg

Um yes, I admit it's a boring design, however, the interior was as solid as a rock, and the materials were top-notch.  Unlike the Lucurne I sat in Detroit, the headliner was made of the thinest material available from automotive suppliers, its begin to come off...

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g153/Kri...nt=4beba9ef.jpg

ouch, that's cheap

You're joking right? This is lightyears better than the Malibu, and at least on par with the G6

You didn't get my point, did you? I was saying don't compare it to the Malibu or G6 because their interiors are worse, looks wise. :P

^That aint 99

^THAT is 1999...And I'm darn proud to own it! :P

That's also a Plymouth interior... Which was outdated to begin with. :D Compare it to a 99 Accord or something and you'll see....

Um yes, I admit it's a boring design, however, the interior was as solid as a rock, and the materials were top-notch.  Unlike the Lucurne I sat in Detroit, the headliner was made of the thinest material available from automotive suppliers, its begin to come off...

Yeah... the design... totally 1999. :lol:

I can't speak for materials as I haven't sat in one...

You didn't get my point, did you? I was saying don't compare it to the Malibu or G6 because their interiors are worse, looks wise. :P

That's also a Plymouth interior... Which was outdated to begin with. :D Compare it to a 99 Accord or something and you'll see....

Maybe I missed it, hah. Anyway you gotta remember it's mission is to be a cheap, fairly reliable, comfortable car. So the interior's not gonna win any awards, neither did and of Saturn's :P

And don't forget the horrible 90's plastic control on GM cars, they looked like Fisher Price made them! :P

Edited by Dodgefan

This car BLOWS the Malibu away in every area except V6 horsepower.

But then again, I am of the opinion that the Malibu is GM's worst-designed car available right now....

The Kia interior is certainly 10-steps ahead.....

AGAIN, DID YOU SIT IN ONE WITH THE GRAY COLOR AND CLOTH INTERIOR?

IT'S NOT PRETTY, IT MIGHT HAVE SOME ADVANTAGE OVER THE MALIBU BUT NO SELF RESPECTING INDIVIDUAL WOULD WANT THAT OPTIMA WITH THE INTERIOR LIKE THAT

This car BLOWS the Malibu away in every area except V6 horsepower.

But then again, I am of the opinion that the Malibu is GM's worst-designed car available right now....

The Kia interior is certainly 10-steps ahead.....

Posted Image

^ 99 Accord...I don't see much of a difference...

I am not a big fan of the new Optima but I barely see any similarities between its interior and the photos you are posting. What, the IP "hump" is the same? Yes, it may be late-90's design but it is not all that bad. It definately trumps the Malibu, which is the single most "needs-to-be-redesigned" car in GM's stable.

IT'S NOT PRETTY, IT MIGHT HAVE SOME ADVANTAGE OVER THE MALIBU BUT NO SELF RESPECTING INDIVIDUAL WOULD WANT THAT OPTIMA WITH THE INTERIOR LIKE THAT

NO self respecting individual would want an Aztek with an exterior like that. :P Sorry reg, but you set yourself up for that one :P

I am not a big fan of the new Optima but I barely see any similarities between its interior and the photos you are posting.  What, the IP "hump" is the same?  Yes, it may be late-90's design but it is not all that bad.  It definately trumps the Malibu, which is the single most "needs-to-be-redesigned" car in GM's stable.

I agree completely.

The car I sat in was red with a charcoal/black interior......and it looked good in black (although I like black interiors anyways where other people find them too somber...)

I mean... look at this interior:

Posted Image

:blink: Just don't compare it to a Malibu's or a G6's. :D

There is no comparison-this one is still miles ahead of Malibu and G6!

Why do so many people find it even remotely acceptable for Kia to sell a sedan with a 185hp V6 in 2007? TCC didn't even quote acceleration speeds. And where's Hyundai/Kia's 6-sp automatic? They were one of the first to jump on the 5-sp auto craze... now they're a gear behind.

I just couldn't conceive recommending this vehicle over a similarly priced 2006 Ford Fusion. No comparison at all when it receives the 3.5l.

Why do so many people find it even remotely acceptable for Kia to sell a sedan with a 185hp V6 in 2007? TCC didn't even quote acceleration speeds. And where's Hyundai/Kia's 6-sp automatic? They were one of the first to jump on the 5-sp auto craze... now they're a gear behind.

I just couldn't conceive recommending this vehicle over a similarly priced 2006 Ford Fusion. No comparison at all when it receives the 3.5l.

like I've said many times, they give Kia and Hyundai free passes for making average to below average stuff, selling it cheap with a warranty. Everyone gives them a free pass for not doing sh1t.

the fusion is no prize but least is better than an Optima. By the way, dealers all over are selling new Fusions starting at 15 grand so there's not even a price advantage for the Kia.

Even worse is Buick, with its 197HP V6 and 4-speed auto in a luxury car. Two gears behind, I guess?

I liked the article, especially the title: "Everything you ever wanted in a 1998 Toyota Camry." Seems to describe the new Optima perfectly.

As the article states, the new Optima will be ideal for value-minded shoppers. Only the Fusion SEL i4 offers as good a deal as the Optima that TCC tested (it is actually a little cheaper than the Optima, but the airbags don't come standard on the Ford.) A Camry or Accord equipped similarly will have an MSRP in the $23-$25,000 range. You think Camry and Accord buyers are the only ones interested in soulless appliance cars? Wait 'till these Optimas start finding homes...

Edited by Petra

Suddenly on the powertrain point, the Malibu and G6 no longer look like pitiful excuses...saw a couple Fusions today-looks like S and SE models are starting to increase...

like I've said many times, they give Kia and Hyundai free passes for making average to below average stuff, selling it cheap with a warranty.  Everyone gives them a free pass for not doing sh1t.

the fusion is no prize but least is better than an Optima.  By the way, dealers all over are selling new Fusions starting at 15 grand so there's not even a price advantage for the Kia.

I wouldn't go that far... While non are class leading, atleast most of their vehicles are competitive. The Kia Sedona, Sportage, and Spectra certainly are, as are the Hyundai Sonata, Tucsun, and Azera.

As the article states, the new Optima will be ideal for value-minded shoppers. Only the Fusion SEL i4 offers as good a deal as the Optima that TCC tested (it is actually a little cheaper than the Optima, but the airbags don't come standard on the Ford.) A Camry or Accord equipped similarly will  have an MSRP in the $23-$25,000 range. You think Camry and Accord buyers are the only ones interested in soulless appliance cars? Wait 'till these Optimas start finding homes...

Yeah... looking at an EX 4cyl model, the Optima isn't bad at all for the money. Ofcourse, it's sad I can't have a manual with the EX. And I'd have to look at that interior... :P

Even worse is Buick, with its 197HP V6 and 4-speed auto in a luxury car.  Two gears behind, I guess?

At least Kia has an excuse :lol:

Yo sciguy and Dodgefan... only to be outdone by the worst of all... Chrysler's own 300 with a 190hp V6 and 4-speed automatic... :pokeowned:

Yo sciguy and Dodgefan... only to be outdone by the worst of all... Chrysler's own 300 with a 190hp V6 and 4-speed automatic...  :pokeowned:

I saw that coming!!!!!!!! Sadly I have no comeback, other than perhaps those are just for fleets... You got me though. :P

I saw that coming!!!!!!!! Sadly I have no comeback, other than perhaps those are just for fleets... You got me though. :P

Yeah... the point is not everyone uses 6-speed autos. GM is not last in everything, yet several members here treat GM as if it is. It's as if the entire market consists of Toyota or Honda. If they have it, and GM doesn't, then GM is last... when usually it just means GM is on par with the other dozen or so manufacturers that sell here in the US.

Watching members be unrealistically critical of GM and then forgive the same shortcomings for another manufacturer is kind of annoying.

Posted Image

^ 99 Accord...I don't see much of a difference...

Gotta love those dead buttons completely integrated stereo. But they were completely forgivable 4 years ago (before it was remodeled.) Now they aren't. But only because Honda doesn't have it anymore.