The $25,000 question....

It's not a matter of reliability today on a 2009 Merc. You said you would keep it 10 years.. that means in 5 years, in 2018, you'll be driving a 10 year old Merc... and that is when they get pricey to maintain.... if not before then.

A friend of mine is the VP of something or other at Federated Investors... he's not a cheap person... but he's already sworn off Mercedes after just one of them. Just getting basic stuff done outside of maintenance contract/warranty is pricey. He's got the dough... so if he complains about it.. it must be pretty bad.

Since I have had my car almost 10 years, I figure I'll keep my next one a while. A few years ago I thought about getting a new car so I was between Lincoln LS and 1st gen CTS, but didn't like either enough, so I spent some money to fix mine and decided to keep it. The Aurora will need new tires, oil change, check engine light is on, check gas cap light on, it needs airflow sensors, etc. So it is either put $1500 into it or get a new car this fall.

I figure a 2009 Mercedes is going to last longer than a 2009 CTS or Genesis or other 4 year old luxury car, or even a new Hyundai for that matter. I don't want a FWD car, and affordable rear drive sedans are few and far between, because I don't want a Charger/300, nor do I want a used 3-series, I don't like BMW styling.

I sold an amazing Lincoln LS, that I so hated to sell because I wanted to get it for myself.

It was that creme color with the tan interior and chromes. Think it maybe was the v6. Prob was a 2001 or something.

FREAKIN MINT but had 170k miles on it. Yet, driving it, it was more like it had 40 or 50k miles on it. Dude who bought it was a sales guy and he was gonna drive it into the ground. Loved the LS. But Lincoln never replaced it.....

If you think about it, the LS was partially why Caddy invented the CTS....... quite a nice tandem for a few years. Lincoln never kept the sporting edge on the model line.

I remember doing internet searches for the Jaguar twin of the LS and specifically for ones with stick. Talk about a rare cat.

Edited by regfootball

The S-Type was so ugly and frumpy looking though, hard to imagine a Jaguar looking so bad but it did. I drove a Lincoln LS V8 but that V8 had Ford engine sound and the window switches reminded me of a Taurus, but it was a nice driving car. I just found a 2006 LS with 60k miles and it was only $11,900. They were always good deals on the used market. I guess the Genesis has now has replaced it as the V6/V8 near luxury sedan that is cheap used.

• 2 weeks later...

500L are so cheap, uncomfortable and just a pathetic waste of money. Having actually tried to sit in one that I wanted to test drive to see what some of you think is so great I can actually say that unlike the Buick Encore that I can fit in and be comfy, the 500 from Fiat is designed for 5'8" or less drives/passengers. Forget any real quality, you all complain about Chevy and yet you should see how cheap the 500 interior is. This on top of a car that clearly is way to narrow and is what i believe will be shown to be an easy roll over auto when pushed just a little. If I can lean on the car sitting and it has considerable side to side body roll, just think how easy it will be to roll when on the road as high speeds. Might be popular to those looking for a cheap car, but then what price do you put on your life and quality of life all for the savings of a few dollars or MPG?

Fiat 500 is a series of cars I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND to Anyone, even my enemy. Their life is worth more than what you perceive to save on this auto.

My only concern with the 9-7x is how hard will it be to sell when it's time.... but at that price and those miles... it will be a long time before I'd need to, so I might not really lose all that much if I have to dump it cheap.

I saw a 9-4x on the used market, but it was over $25k I think. I was shocked, I didn't know they even sold any of them, I thought the brand went bankrupt before any were built.

Interestingly enough, a Passat TDI just did an 8,000 mile, cross country trip and averaged 77.9 mpg, can't do that in a GMT360.

I saw a 9-4x on the used market, but it was over $25k I think. I was shocked, I didn't know they even sold any of them, I thought the brand went bankrupt before any were built.

Interestingly enough, a Passat TDI just did an 8,000 mile, cross country trip and averaged 77.9 mpg, can't do that in a GMT360.

Were is the story posted at as I have never seen anything this high and I would think VW would be marketing the hell out of this if it was true.

It would take 88,000 miles of real world driving to make up the $10k price difference and I don't think this next vehicle will stick around that long.

The story says they wanted to drive real world but they did not. Driving 5 under the posted limit, coasting on down hills streaming behind large trucks, etc. these are not real world driving habits and for most of us, time is money. I am not going to spend hours getting some place just to save a few bucks.

• Agree 1

My only concern with the 9-7x is how hard will it be to sell when it's time.... but at that price and those miles... it will be a long time before I'd need to, so I might not really lose all that much if I have to dump it cheap.

Those seem popular around here...could be a good choice!

Interesting that I found 243 listing for the 9-7x auto when I polled the whole US yet with in a 500 mile range of Seattle WA there is only 4 that are available. Guess SAAB really was not that popular in the NW.

post-12-0-75786600-1372342642_thumb.jpg

Amazing the price for these low mile models.

post-12-0-53565400-1372342813_thumb.jpg

Didn't the 9-7x also have the Trailblazer SS suspension?

Yes, that was the 9-7X Aero model with the 6.0L V8 engine and the TrailBlazer SS suspension. The regular Arc/5.3i model is more akin to the GMC Envoy Denali than the TB SS. The 9-7x Aero was offered only in 2008 and 2009 (very limited).

If you want the 4.2L inline six, you need to find a Linear (later renamed 4.2i) model.

Oooh. I'm not going to go that specific on one of these and the 6.0 is way overkill. I'm not against the 5.3 for the right price, I just like the smoothness of the 4.2.

Would the Rainier have a softer suspension or about the same as the rest?

A week after I leased my '05 Envoy SLT, my best friend bought a '05 Buick Rainier CXL. We went to Great Adventure in it and I seemed to recall the ride was the same as in my Envoy. He did have the rear air suspension (I didn't), so that may have added some extra comfort to the ride.

Yes. I know it was optional in the Envoy SLT model, but I don't believe that the TrailBlazer had it at all (don't hold me to that).

Trailblazer SS and the Saab 6.0 both have the air suspension. Makes for an amazing ride. Course City driving, my SS averages about 12.5 to 13 mpg but on the highway cruzing, I have gotten 23-24 on trips. Course the power is addicting and I can say my SS does just fine at 130+ :P

well that's ok, I'm not a fan of the TB interior. But I can start narrowing down my search a bit. The 9-7x still seems to be the screaming deal of the bunch.

The only TB I would consider is the SS as it is the same as what was put into the 9-7x, very nice.

I've kinda zeroed in on this one.

Love the color, both interior and exterior, right equipment, right mileage, decent price.

For the price that is a sweet ride. From my understanding, the air suspension was standard on the Aero but optional on everything else. I do like the two tone, very nice.

What about a 2010-11 Saab 9-5? I saw one at a local dealer that is the Aero X for $22k. And if that is a little too big or too expensive, a 9-3 Aero can be had under $20k.

I did find one 9-4x in Ohio for $24k. I bet they sold under 1,000 of those, super rare.

While I really like the 9-5, I don't know that I could go with such an orphan. The 9-7x is 95% Rainier/Bravada and has a decent chance of having parts out there.

On a side note... man people seem to really love their Bravadas... they run them up well over 100k miles before they start listing them for sale.

Agree, unlike the rest of SAAB which is expensive to fix, the 9-7x is about 95% GM based easy parts to get I would go with any of the 9-7x awd models.

Actually, if it is the platform mate to anything, the 9-5 goes with the Impala/XTS. However the body panels and interiors are totally different. On the 9-7x, it's pretty much a Bravada/Rainier shell with a Saab face and the interior is the same as the Rainier except for the shape of the dash. The 9-5 is platform engineering at its best and the 9-7x is badge engineering at nearly its worst.... however, I'm not going to let the fact that the 9-7x is a badge engineered Buick Rainier stop me from getting an amazing deal on a luxury SUV.

Edit: The body panels are so interchangeable between the GMT360s, I saw someone who put a TB front clip on a Rainier and it came out looking ok.

and then there is this..

the thing is, while I started at $25k, I'm finding cheaper and cheaper vehicles that would be acceptable. Since I'm only planning on keeping the next one for about 2 - 3 year, perhaps I'm heading in the right direction. As cheap as I can go without buying a project.