Some Questions...

We're going to be in this thread saying "told you so" in a few months. $5k for a historically unreliable car with 139k and change on the odometer is a horrible idea, especially for a jobless 16 year old. Sorry BV, thats just the most likely scenario.

Um.. wow. Do I have to get a blue book out? I'm sure with that many miles, it's worth more than what it's selling for. Hell, a 95 is worth more than that. You guys act like this is some sort of '80s GM vehicle that can barely survive the first 100k miles without major repair... :blink: You're worse than my grandpa. According to him, anything with over 100k miles is complete and utter $h!.

Hey Dodgefan... how many miles does your Shadow have? What about Mach5's GP GTP? I would trust a BMW before I'd trust either of those, so does alot of the people that I mention this BMW to. Weird. It's just you guys. So... looks to me like the 318ti is good to go for many many miles.

Um.. wow. Do I have to get a blue book out? I'm sure with that many miles, it's worth more than what it's selling for. Hell, a 95 is worth more than that. You guys act like this is some sort of '80s GM vehicle that can barely survive the first 100k miles without major repair... :blink: You're worse than my grandpa. According to him, anything with over 100k miles is complete and utter $h!.

Hey Dodgefan... how many miles does your Shadow have? What about Mach5's GP GTP? I would trust a BMW before I'd trust either of those, so does alot of the people that I mention this BMW to. Weird. It's just you guys. So... looks to me like the 318ti is good to go for many many miles.

Today I hit 208,000 miles with my Shadow, and aside from the catallitic coverter and a broken wire that connects to the A/C switch (a result of the accident no doubt, and will be fixed tomorrow) not a thing is wrong with it ^_^

We're going to be in this thread saying "told you so" in a few months.  $5k for a historically unreliable car with 139k and change on the odometer is a horrible idea, especially for a jobless 16 year old.  Sorry BV, thats just the most likely scenario.

Hah... yet most people here would be supportive if I wanted to get another GA, which I'm sure you know about it's reputation. You wouldn't, but they would. Besides, I'm only jobless because I have no f@#king car! I live out in the country! Once I get a car, I'll get a job. Maybe I ought to get something reliable, but I want something fun and good on gas. The 318 fits. And FYI, I'm 17 and 5 months old. :P

Actually, I'd tell you to run away from another GA as fast as you can.

Exactly, but alot of people here would be supportive... I think they just want to bitch about me getting a BMW, honestly... I'll manage whatever costs it'll need, if it needs them. It won't be all that hard. I do have money... in the form of my ATV, which I'm going to try to sell again. Not to mention that my parents are willing to help out if I get into a sticky situation, especially now that they don't have a $300 car payment (Blazer) anymore...

Guest YellowJacket894

f@#k it. Get a classic car. Like an old Camaro or Firebird...

Sorry. By saying that, I'm just shoving down your throat what I plan to do. But, there is a reason why. Mainly because insurance isn't that much and the '68 Firebird I've found only costs $6,500 and needs just some trim and a paintjob (although that last part is to make it more to my liking...yes, a jet-black Firebird...with a "High Toned Son of a Bitch" bumper sticker slapped on the trunklid... :lol:).

If you want the BMW, and your parents agree to get for you, by all means go for it. Nevermind the bollocks, Vip'. There's the car that makes you smile, and you belong with it. Get it. If the matenience doesn't mean jack$h!, do it. Do something to make yourself feel like you're ten feet tall and kicking ass.

Do it.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Well, BV, good luck no matter what you decide. As long as you are happy with what you get it doesn't really matter what the rest of us say.

Too bad about not being able to get a mid engined car. They're a blast.

Edited by zhawk

I'm not saying stayt away from a BMW, I'm saying stay away from a 10 year old BMW, especially a model thats not known for reliability, with a ton of miles on it.

It is a risk, I do understand that. I'm going to do a Carfax report on its VIN sooner or later and if it's not clean (meaning accidents and such), that might change my mind. But if its clean, I'm willing to take the risk.

I'm probably going to get yelled at for this, but that's okay.

BV: Do you not have any form of public transportation there? If you found a good job, you could get a summer bus pass (which is pretty cheap around here) and have your mom take you to the bus stop. Then you could ride the bus to work and save money until you had enough money to put down a good down payment on a nicer car that you could count on being reliable.

Since you live in the country I'm guessing most people mow their own lawns, but if not you could probably also make a killing on them since yards in the country are normally pretty big. If you got 5+ people to mow for, sold you 300EX and bought a mower, and charged like $60 a mow (assuming it would be big and take you a long time - around here people pay about $40 for a yard that takes about an hour) you'd be making $300 a week on that. Again I'm guessing most people mow their own yards, but it might be worth a try. I'm just trying to throw some ideas out there for you...

On a related note, I could have had a job that paid $12 an hour this summer, but it was from 6AM to 4PM 5 days a week meaning I'd be getting up at 5AM or so every day. I'd be making like $600 a week, which would translate to over $7k, but I just didn't feel like getting up at 5AM every morning. Now I'm sort of regretting not taking it because I want to do some stuff to the GTO, but oh well.

I'm probably going to get yelled at for this, but that's okay.

BV: Do you not have any form of public transportation there? If you found a good job, you could get a summer bus pass (which is pretty cheap around here) and have your mom take you to the bus stop. Then you could ride the bus to work and save money until you had enough money to put down a good down payment on a nicer car that you could count on being reliable.

Heh... this is rural PA. Bus stops? :lol: And my mom can't take me as she has her own job with her own hours. Neither can my dad. And, again, I don't want to bum rides off of people. Still... what is RWD, 4cyl powered with 2 doors and a manual transmission that's affordable and I can count on being reliable? Inform me, please. And what could be nicer than that 318ti? There isn't anything at all wrong with it. I can't even say that about my mom's new Sunfire.

Since you live in the country I'm guessing most people mow their own lawns, but if not you could probably also make a killing on them since yards in the country are normally pretty big. If you got 5+ people to mow for, sold you 300EX and bought a mower, and charged like $60 a mow (assuming it would be big and take you a long time - around here people pay about $40 for a yard that takes about an hour) you'd be making $300 a week on that. Again I'm guessing most people mow their own yards, but it might be worth a try. I'm just trying to throw some ideas out there for you...

Heh... where the hell did you mow yards at? No one pays that around here. And yes, I know because I used to that a few years ago with most of my neighbors. And with gas prices... I can only put gas towards one thing, well, preferably.

What I want to know is... why would I yell at you? You're not being ignorant like others... :P

I mowed my next door neighbors yard like 5 times when they moved and no one was living there and they paid me $40 a time, it took about an hour and 10 minutes with a push mower.

Out of the three cars you listed I would actually go for a Miata. If it breaks there are plenty around so it would be cheap to fix (or cheaper than the BMW at least), and I think they're pretty reliable. My uncle has one (and a Mustang Cobra convert that I want to drive) that's a '95 or so I think, and it has been very reliable. Apparantly they let a lot of people use it around the neighborhood to learn how to drive a stick on (I did), so it has probably been through a lot of bad shifting and such and still runs fine.

If I had another GTO I might send you one of them, but I don't :P

Posted Image

RWD, dead reliable 2.5 liter 4 cylinder (my Dad got 207,xxx miles out of his 1979 before he sold it), 2 doors, manual. And you don't even have to sell out to the krauts or Japanese. :P

nice Dodge logo :lol:

But...looking at that, even I would take the bimmer over it, and i don't even like that thing much :P

But anyway, since I'm probably included as one of the "ignorants" I'll simply refrain from further comments regarding the car. Obviously if our views don't align, we're the ignorant ones not him, such as with that damn prop on my van >.>

Edited by Dodgefan

Plan the plan, then work the plan. No one is gonna beam down a load of cash ...

My Dad said "Sure you can get a car" after I got a job, saved enough money to buy the car and insurance....and I did. I was the baby of a family of 8 kids,

My Dad was broke.

I think people that are "given" cars don't value them as much as if they earned

them, and purchased their own....

Likewise, parents that give cars to their children are in some ways doing them

a disservice by enabling them to be less independant...and rely on others too

much.

If you want a cool car, make the plan and then do it. I'm not being mean,

just practical.

Edited by mightymouse

But anyway, since I'm probably included as one of the "ignorants" I'll simply refrain from further comments regarding the car. Obviously if our views don't align, we're the ignorant ones not him, such as with that damn prop on my van >.>

Heh... you take what I say too damn serious. You might want to read over all my posts again and look for anything resembling sarcasm. If find some, don't be surprised. Anyways... no, you've got it all wrong. Disagreeing has nothing to do with being ignorant. You are not one of the people I'd consider ignorant. Atleast in this thread.... :P

However, that prop on your van thing... Heh, you're really taking what I say too seriously. Seriously. It's called joking around and using sarcasm to make a point. Silly Dodgefan... if you would have had a Montana... you never would have had this problem in the first place. Even though you'd be stuck with a crappier van. :D

Plan the plan, then work the plan. No one is gonna beam down a load of cash ...

My Dad said "Sure you can get a car" after I got a job, saved enough money to buy the car and insurance....and I did. I was the baby of a family of 8 kids,

My Dad was broke.

I think people that are "given" cars don't value them as much as if they earned

them, and purchased their own....

Likewise, parents that give cars to their children are in some ways doing them

a disservice by enabling them to be less independant...and rely on others too

much.

If you want a cool car, make the plan and then do it.  I'm not being mean,

just practical.

Say what? I was never given a car and I am not asking to be given a car. I blew my life savings on my $h!ty GA. The problem is... that was my life savings and I don't exactly have that anymore. Figure that I also would need a car since I live out in the country (did all you guys grow up in cities? damn... ). All I need is a loan. Then I'd get the car and get a job. The money I would make with a job would pay off the loan eventually. See? It all works out. You guys just have to see it from my perspective instead of your own.

Oh and another thing! I love $h!ty cars... there is a very special feeling

you get from buying a $h! box for a couple hundred....and fixing a few

things, and then it runs awesome for thousands of miles!

ask Sixty8.

I bought a leaky caprice for $100 once and cut off the top with a sawzall.

I loved that thing for a couple years and sold it for a profit.

Say what? I was never given a car and I am not asking to be given a car. I blew my life savings on my $h!ty GA. The problem is... that was my life savings and I don't exactly have that anymore. Figure that I also would need a car since I live out in the country (did all you guys grow up in cities? damn... ). All I need is a loan. Then I'd get the car and get a job. The money I would make with a job would pay off the loan eventually. See? It all works out. You guys just have to see it from my perspective instead of your own.

OK sounds like a good plan ....maybe you really are a super genious....

Heh... you take what I say too damn serious. You might want to read over all my posts again and look for anything resembling sarcasm. If find some, don't be surprised. Anyways... no, you've got it all wrong. Disagreeing has nothing to do with being ignorant. You are not one of the people I'd consider ignorant. Atleast in this thread.... :P

However, that prop on your van thing... Heh, you're really taking what I say too seriously. Seriously. It's called joking around and using sarcasm to make a point. Silly Dodgefan... if you would have had a Montana... you never would have had this problem in the first place. Even though you'd be stuck with a crappier van. :D

That van existed before the Montana existed, hell we bought it before the montana existed. I agree with the crappy part...it's like 10 years newer but the interior looks worse than the 86 caravan...sad but true. shame on you gm.

If you get the car, fine, good luck with it, I just hope you have a job ready and waiting, what with our crappy economy these days.

Posted Image

RWD, dead reliable 2.5 liter 4 cylinder (my Dad got 207,xxx miles out of his 1979 before he sold it), 2 doors, manual. And you don't even have to sell out to the krauts or Japanese. :P

reliable!? We got one as a rental once when I was a kid. It overheated on the way home. after putting water in it to try to return it to the dealer, one of the rear wheels FELL CLEAN OFF. No lie.

Don't ever touch a Chevette. You may not be lucky enough to live to regret it.

Edited by Turbojett

You watched them build them? Cool! What did they do that was so bad?

The body and interior weren't exactly bastions of good design in my Dad's Chevette but the drivetrain was dang near indestructible. It never quit running but the body rusted out around the drivetrain.

Yeah, school trip to Wilmington. The thing that most bothered me was the small number of welds that held the body together - downright scary.

Good luck with whatever you do BV.

That's all I can ask for... :P I'm natually stubborn, if you haven't noticed by now.

Anyways, I was looking through Autotrader last night at all BMWs within 300 miles of Brookville under $5000. As I scroll down the listings, I see 318 after 318 with well over 150k. The only 325s were either very high mileage as well or there were something wrong them. Most of these Bimmers were all 95s or older. Just comparing them to that 318 in Brookville, they were all older with higher mileage, but for nearly the same price. Now, who was saying it wasn't a good deal? Including the blue book value of it...? Yeah. Regardless of possible reliability problems, it's about as good a deal as I'm going to get on a perfect 3er.

Oh, not sure if I mentioned this before, but for those who say I won't have money for the repairs... I'm selling my 300EX, fyi, which is worth roughly $3k. Not to mention the big every-other-year-or-so garage sale my family is having this summer, where I usually make a few hundred. Then there is my GA, which I could sell if I wanted to once... well... if I get it fixed. And again, I will be getting a job as soon as possible after getting a car. Then, over the summer, I generally make around a hundred by washing and detailing relatives cars. Same with doing random work for relatives. Heh... just making a point that I'm not going to be totally at a shortage of money. I just wish I wouldn't have wasted all the money I have on that GA just for it to run like $h! and be in pieces in my garage. Now that, was the worse purchase I have ever made. Paid $1000 for it, then put another $1000 into it since (I didn't pay for all, btw, and that includes mods I done).

some one who has barely enough money to get a pontiac going wants to get a bmw? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhahaahahahahahhaha

Thats great!

I bought my Caprice perfect when i got it and i have roughly about $1500 and some intense hours on it including a spun bearing. I thought that for what i paid it was all in all a good car.

Lesson in life USED CARS ALWAYS WILL HAVE THAT ONE MAJOR PROBLEM?

may happen right away (like mine) or later on. Even like your mom's sunfire. (Sunbird's were around in my time not yours)

Edited by capriceman

I bought my Caprice perfect when i got it and i have roughly about $1500 and some intense hours on it including a spun bearing. I thought that for what i paid it was all in all a good car.

may happen right away (like mine) or later on. Even like your mom's Sunbird.

All cars will have a problem, not just used ones...especially if you own an Avalon :P

Don't let the GA rot,BV. Fix it and sell it or just sell it, just don't let it become a garage monster.

Well, if me and my can ever find out what's wrong with the damn thing.....

some one who has barely enough money to get a pontiac going wants to get a bmw? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhahaahahahahahhaha

Thats great!

It's not a money issue... it's not wanting to put money I've earned into such a POS.

may happen right away (like mine) or later on. Even like your mom's sunfire. (Sunbird's were around in my time not yours)

Heh... I remember Sunbirds, too, bird brain. :P

Anyways, yes, I know they will all have problems. I'm not a retard... atleast not completely. Again, the GA isn't worth my time or money. A BMW would be, no matter the cost. That's all it is. I've put enough damn money into the GA, considering how it's still f@#ked up. No more of that, I'm done with it. If we can get it fixed without having to put money into (other than minor costs), I will. Otherwise, forget it... I'll part it out or something...

Get it right. :D

Did you have any idea on what you where looking for when taking it apart?

Also if moneys not a problem then why arent you driving that *POS* bimmer you want?

My point money is a problem since you dont have enough to buy yourself a car you want.

Did you have any idea on what you where looking for when taking it apart?

Also if moneys not a problem then why arent you driving that *POS* bimmer you want?

My point money is a problem since you dont have enough to buy yourself a car you want.

Yes, I did. We looked at the headgasket, the rod bearings, the head, the pistons, etc... anything that could have caused its problems. Other than the head being warped from the overheating, we can't find anything wrong with it.

Uh... Then everyone in my family has money problems. Most of my relatives all used loans to buy the cars they have. That's what I plan on doing, but I have alot stacked against me so getting one is almost impossible. I'm hoping my parents can help me out somewhat... But if we could get that stupid GA fixed, I could just drive that and make things alot easier.