Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

did it again

• 2 weeks later...

Nice pics....have you had a chance to drive it in any snow of substance yet this winter? 

Not to hijack ocnblu's spotlight... but I drove my '15 Canyon in the snow last weekend (total measured 20.5 inches where I live). Not one issue with the truck and it continued on its way regardless of the amount of snow on the road, the slushy semi-plowed areas, or the slick spots from snow drifts.  Handles much better in 4WD than my '06 Envoy 4WD did.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74
  • Agree 1

Nice pics....have you had a chance to drive it in any snow of substance yet this winter? 

Not to hijack ocnblu's spotlight... but I drove my '15 Canyon in the snow last weekend (total measured 20.5 inches where I live). Not one issue with the truck and it continued on its way regardless of the amount of snow on the road, the slushy semi-plowed areas, or the slick spots from snow drifts.  Handles much better in 4WD than my '06 Envoy 4WD did.

So then are you ready to trade it in for the Duramax Diesel version? :P

Ocnblu and GMTruckGuy74 please post some pics of your rides in the snow! :D PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE :D

• 4 weeks later...

I had a set of 18" polished GMC Canyon wheels, new take-offs from our GM store, put in my lap for the paltry sum of $100 for all four wheels with pressure sensors.  So today I bought a set of four Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2 tires, 265/60R18, to mount up on them.  I also have a GM Accessory wheel flare kit ordered (it's been 3 weeks since I ordered those, ugh).  Once I get it all done I'll post a pic, so the one person who might be interested can see how it looks.

17,600 miles, never back to the dealer except for oil changes and a seat mount recall (which it passed with no adjustment necessary.)  :)

Very cool, I look forward to seeing it with the new tires and wheel flares! :D

• Agree 1

Well, I have my new wheels/tires on, and my wheel flares.  Got him a tri-fold soft tonneau cover, too.  Still waiting for my black bowties, color matched grille, and black Trail Boss wheel center caps.  Last thing I want to do is change the color of the 4X4 decals.  Still debating a de-badge operation. Then he'll be ready for his close-up.

Well, I have my new wheels/tires on, and my wheel flares.  Got him a tri-fold soft tonneau cover, too.  Still waiting for my black bowties, color matched grille, and black Trail Boss wheel center caps.  Last thing I want to do is change the color of the 4X4 decals.  Still debating a de-badge operation. Then he'll be ready for his close-up.

Raises hand, De-Badge Please! I think the 4x4 decals are a bit gody and would look better with none or with ones that just did not stand out as much.

But my personal tast is to have a clean monochromatic auto. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your modifications.  I'm contemplating buying a set of BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires for my Canyon.  Not that I have a problem with the factory Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT tires, they just look "too small".  Reviews of teh BFG have been great; however, they are pricey.

BFGoodrich%20Goodyear%20Comparison_zps8o

I'd really like to install the Colorado's wheel flares, I think the flat black flares would help it tie even more to the look of the Sierra.  Was it easy to install them?

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your modifications.  I'm contemplating buying a set of BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires for my Canyon.  Not that I have a problem with the factory Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT tires, they just look "too small".  Reviews of teh BFG have been great; however, they are pricey.

BFGoodrich%20Goodyear%20Comparison_zps8o

I'd really like to install the Colorado's wheel flares, I think the flat black flares would help it tie even more to the look of the Sierra.  Was it easy to install them?

Trust me I have them on all my SUV's and Trucks and the tires pay for themselves with Long Life, I usually get between 85 to 100K miles on a set of BF Goodrich AT tires. Plus I have never had one go flat due to sidewall damage or nails / screws etc.

Thanks for the information, dfelt!

Because I'm leasing the Canyon for 48 months/15k miles year (36 more months to go), I'm really not trying to spend too much on modifications.  However, I feel the factory Goodyear tires may either just make it to 60,000 miles or may need replacing between 45-50K. I'm not happy with the small look of the factory tires and would prefer my pickup to feature more truck-like tires (all terrain do the trick).  But at slightly over a $1,000 this would be a very hard to justify expense.  Those BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires sure do have positive reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a price on the BF Goodrich KO2 tires - a tick over $1k. More online research led me to Cooper Tires Discoverer AT3. They've gotten really good reviews and are comparable to the BFG's (okay, like one step down but many previous BFG owners that switched to the Coopers are very happy). Price is better too - around $776 installed. Any thoughts?

cooper-discoverer-AT3_lg_super.jpg

• Agree 1

Looks like a good tire, like the sipping it has for getting water out of the way and for better traction. Having never had cooper, what is the life expectancy? I know I can always count on my BG Goodrich tires to get me between 85-100K miles. Though I do monitor air pressure and make sure everything is where it should be far more than most.

Was looking at my receipt due to what you have stated as $1K price for 4 of the BFG for your truck. What is your tire size?

For my Durango, it is 31 x 10.50 - 15 Which is $161 per tire mounted, balanced, road hazard, etc. With Washington State sales tax it was $705.18 at Discount Tire.

post-12-0-78931900-1460131653_thumb.jpg

These by the way are more expensive than the KO2 tires which were $157.00 each.

When will we get to see this?!?!?!?

• Agree 1

dfelt, the factory tire size on my '15 GMC Canyon is 265/60-18.

Ouch, that extra 3 inches of rim really costs.

I think I got pretty much the same cost as you did.

post-12-0-33669900-1460325535_thumb.jpg

Did these new tires match the size/dimensions of your factory tires? Any rubbing? How does the truck handle? I'm still considering the Cooper Tires. Would have been nice for a factory option on all-terrain tires for our trim level trucks. I hate the way my factory Goodyear tires look, thought they've been great performers.

They are a little bit taller and a little bit wider than the 17's that came on it, but they are the optional factory 18 inch size.  No rubbing.  I had my heart set on Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs because they are the GM OEM all-terrain tire, however, they were out of production at the time I needed them and I could not find them locally anywhere.  These Duelers have good customer ratings as well.  The truck rides and handles well with them on.  I inquired about Coopers because I like the looks of them, but the distributor I got my Duelers from no longer deals with Cooper.  My dad worked for them for a few years after he retired from his career and I got employee price, could not refuse it.  Only thing... I've been cautioned that the Duelers are soft, and I should expect about 40k miles wear before they'll need replaced... if I keep this awesome truck that long.

The BFG All-Terrains are fantastic tires, but I wanted an aggressive P tire, not a heavy LT tire.  Truck tires would have ridden much harder and I do not need the sidewall strength/load capacity.

If you want a good looking, aggressive tire, I would go with Duratracs (I saw a brand new Tahoe Special Service Fire Chief truck at the local dealer with Duratracs on it at the local dealer, it looked fantastic.  Too bad that tire can only be ordered on Special Service Tahoes) or the Dueler Revo 2 like mine, unless you really want a stiff tire.

I am satisfied with the look and performance of the Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2 tires.

ocnblu: I agree with you, I want a more agressive-looking truck tire but don't need the capability of a light truck (LT) tire. The BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2's would be overkill for my usage. The Cooper Discoverer AT/3 tires are "P" rated but still offer an aggressive look for my tastes. And many current owners I found reviews online from of these tires came from the BFG tires and are not disappointed one bit going to the Cooper. I will say I did have a difficult time locating a tire retailer that offers Cooper Tires. The one I've communicated with is not someone I'd typically go to, but they have great reviews for service. For $hits and giggles, I tried my local Pep Boys but they currently do not have these specific Cooper tires available to choose from.

Ccap41 - right now, my truck has a little over 15k on the stock (factory) Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT tires. I don't need to replace them - they have been excellent performers for me - they're just too highway all-season looking for my tastes (i.e. too small). I haven't made the "go" decision yet, will likely do that this week when the wife and I discuss other "wants" we will focus spending on.

I had Wrangler Duratracs on my 4Runner Trail with 3" lift and it was a monster off road. It would make it through deep puddles, mud, and sand and up steep inclines w/out even putting it in 4WD most of the time. Those tires are beast.

Talking about my 4Runner really makes me miss it. I hope I can either pick up a Wrangler Unlimited or FJ Cruiser as a 4th vehicle at some point in the near future. That, or upgrade my wife into a used Land Cruiser, or back into a 4Runner. Though this time around I'd go with a TRD Pro and leave it stock.

The KO 2's are a really good tire as well. We put them on several trucks when I worked at the Chevy store. Good off-road capability, and they greatly fixed what was always the KO's weak link- wet weather and snow/ice performance. They're also better mannered for street driving. To whoever was considering it, I would hesitate to put KO 2's on a stock ride height Colorado/Canyon. That said, the Cooper Discovery and General Grabbers are solid alternatives.

• Agree 3

• 3 months later...

HAHA!  (or NOT HAHA)

My $32k 2015 Chevy Colorado blew an oil cooler line on the way to work this morning and lost all of its oil.

I had no clue until I got to work, put it in reverse to back into my space, and the "low oil - add oil" warning came on the DIC.

Never saw, heard or smelled anything awry until I opened the hood after parking it at work, smelled burning oil, and saw the entire undercarriage coated with Texas Tea (well, simulated Dexos-style Texas Tea.)

Dipstick was COMPLETELY DRY.  Took 3 QUARTS of NAPA brand Dexos compatible 5W-30 to show on the stick.

Had to be towed over to our GM store.  They put me in a ginormous 2016 Sierra 2500 HD extended cab 4X4 with 6.0 gas V8 in Summit White... base model.  No way it is fitting in the garage.  43 miles when I got in it.

I'm pretty mad.

Yeah, we'll see.  Early models of these trucks have a frequency of this oil line rupturing... I just never thought it would happen to me.

This is why oil pressure gauges are a necessary thing... not some hare-brained scroll-up oil pressure readout on the DIC...

Dem gas cars are too complicated

Betr git yerself n lectric car

Yeah, we'll see. Early models of these trucks have a frequency of this oil line rupturing... I just never thought it would happen to me.

This is why oil pressure gauges are a necessary thing... not some hare-brained scroll-up oil pressure readout on the DIC...

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

HAHA!  (or NOT HAHA)

My $32k 2015 Chevy Colorado blew an oil cooler line on the way to work this morning and lost all of its oil.

I had no clue until I got to work, put it in reverse to back into my space, and the "low oil - add oil" warning came on the DIC.

Never saw, heard or smelled anything awry until I opened the hood after parking it at work, smelled burning oil, and saw the entire undercarriage coated with Texas Tea (well, simulated Dexos-style Texas Tea.)

Dipstick was COMPLETELY DRY.  Took 3 QUARTS of NAPA brand Dexos compatible 5W-30 to show on the stick.

Had to be towed over to our GM store.  They put me in a ginormous 2016 Sierra 2500 HD extended cab 4X4 with 6.0 gas V8 in Summit White... base model.  No way it is fitting in the garage.  43 miles when I got in it.

I'm pretty mad.

Bummer, sorry to hear about that Ocnblu, sucks when stuff like that happens, all the best to getting it fixed and back on the road ASAP.

Tell us how you like the Sierra, ride, etc especially compared to your truck. :)

Depending on the timing of the blown oil line, that could have be an entire engine replacement under warranty. If you didn't notice it, I'd assume the remaining oil was enough to keep the engine from damaging itself. Still, definitely not a small issue.

Toyota actually had a similar problem with their 3.5L V-6 for the first 5 years of its production. They used a soft rubber hose for a high-pressure oil line, so after a while, it would eventually blow due to stress, age, etc. It was inevitably replaced with a metal part. I wonder if this is a similar issue to Toyotas...

Thanks folks, yeah, I will check to see what the replacement line is made of when I get it back... hopefully tomorrow.  As for the 2500HD Sierra, it feels solid as a rock to drive.  Of course it rides considerably harder than my truck.  The Sierra would be the ideal vehicle for towing a trailer across the USA... something I will not be doing any time soon.  I am getting used to the giant size.  If I still lived on the farm, I would have one, probably a regular cab longbed, and I'd have to have some off-road tires on it instead of the highway tires from factory.

Word is, build and price is up online now for 2017 Cruze hatch!!!!

Do not see any build and price, but just more info about it and a link to sign up for updates as it get closer to release.

http://www.chevrolet.com/cruze-hatchback.html

Have to say with the VOLT nose and the hatch backend, it is pretty nice looking.

I am guessing reg meant Edmunds has very preliminary pricing up for the hatch... because it sure ain't up at Chevy yet.  I am hankering to Build and Price one at the Chevy site and see the CGI of the different colors on the car.

Cars.com has a fairly decent build and price up, you can choose your colors and options with a CGI depiction of the Premiere RS.  An LT/RS manual with Convenience will run $22,965.  A Premiere/RS (with autotragic only, still nicer than a Focus autotragic) and no options is $25,815, already pretty loaded.  Thanks for the heads up, reg.

Sorry to learn of your issue, ocnblu. Work, the fire dept, and the family have consumed most of my time the past few months and I have not followed much on the Twins (online).  I had no clue until reading this post that the oil line can be a problem on our trucks. Is there anything I can have the dealer do to check for this problem?  I'm planning to take the family in the Canyon on a road trip to Colonial Williamsburg (VA) in two weeks.  It was recently serviced by the dealer (July 26) for routine maintenance and a recall issue (trailer hitch), but nothing was mentioned to me about the oil line.

I am guessing reg meant Edmunds has very preliminary pricing up for the hatch... because it sure ain't up at Chevy yet.  I am hankering to Build and Price one at the Chevy site and see the CGI of the different colors on the car.

i was misled by another Gm fan site into thinking their link was functional and correct.

• Agree 1

Sorry to learn of your issue, ocnblu. Work, the fire dept, and the family have consumed most of my time the past few months and I have not followed much on the Twins (online).  I had no clue until reading this post that the oil line can be a problem on our trucks. Is there anything I can have the dealer do to check for this problem?  I'm planning to take the family in the Canyon on a road trip to Colonial Williamsburg (VA) in two weeks.  It was recently serviced by the dealer (July 26) for routine maintenance and a recall issue (trailer hitch), but nothing was mentioned to me about the oil line.

Well it is the oil line that goes into the bottom of the radiator.  A few of the guys over at the Colorado/Canyon forum have had this failure in early build 2015 trucks.  It comes apart where the metal fitting is crimped to the rubber portion of the line, toward the radiator end of the line.  I suppose you could check to see if it is wet, but it was sort of a quick failure trajectory as far as I can tell.  Raise the hood and look for the oil line that goes into the bottom, toward the driver's side of the radiator.  If it appears oily, the problem might be starting to show itself.  You cannot see it from the bottom because of the underbody shield.

I just learnt today that the new version of the 1.4t in the Cruze has that dastardly stop-start, but then I am left wondering if this handicap is fitted to manual transmission versions.  Can anyone confirm or deny?  I would shy away and strongly consider a '17 Sonic RS hatch six speed manual with the older version of the engine... but then I don't see how stop-start can work with a manual.

I just learnt today that the new version of the 1.4t in the Cruze has that dastardly stop-start, but then I am left wondering if this handicap is fitted to manual transmission versions.  Can anyone confirm or deny?  I would shy away and strongly consider a '17 Sonic RS hatch six speed manual with the older version of the engine... but then I don't see how stop-start can work with a manual.

Stop-Start has worked in manuals for years.  Put your foot into the clutch while not moving and the engine shuts off.  My BMW rental in Germany did that to me 5 or 6 years ago. 

Stop-Start has worked in manuals for years.  Put your foot into the clutch while not moving and the engine shuts off.  My BMW rental in Germany did that to me 5 or 6 years ago. 

That is very cool. Learning something new every day here. :)

Ew but thanks

Why Ew? I would think many people would love an auto start stop system that works when you push in the clutch and not have to rely on turning the auto on and off manually to save fuel. After all every little bit helps.

Now the one interesting drawback I can see is if you are on hills in a city and trying to slip the clutch while also gasing to move forward, I would hope it would be pretty smooth or can be turned off as a feature.