• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

The last-generation Chrysler Sebring/200 was the punchline to a bad joke. Whenever you saw one driving around, you could easily assume that it was either a rental car or the person got a smoking deal. Not a good sign when you’re playing in one of the highly-competitive classes in the marketplace; the midsize sedan class. So what do you do? For Chrysler, it was to start with a blank sheet and get some help from Fiat. The result is the 2015 Chrysler 200. So how does new 200 stack up against the midsize class? Well I spent a week in a 200C to find out.

2015 Chrysler 200C 2

The 200’s exterior design appears to be a mishmash of other midsize sedan designs. The front end looks to be borrowed from the Ford Fusion and/or Kia Optima, while the roofline comes from the last-generation Hyundai Sonata. Say what you will about Chrysler’s designers being somewhat unoriginal, you do have to admit that the new 200 is far and away a huge improvement over the old model. My test 200 was wearing a burgundy paint color and sharp 19-inch wheels which make it quite the standout.

If the exterior is quite the shock, then you might have your mind blown when stepping into the 200’s interior. Chrysler’s designers threw out the book on how to create a midsize interior and went in their own direction. The results are something you might be more used to in a luxury car, not something a midsize sedan. On the 200C, the interior is lined with leather along the dash and seats, and real wood trim. Designers also went for a knob for to select gears which opens up the center console to allow for a massive storage area. You could fit a small laptop computer in this space. Above the large storage space is Chrysler’s UConnect system with an equally large 8.4-inch touchscreen. The system as ever is easy to use and quick to respond.

Space in the 200C is a bit mixed. Front seat passengers are able to find a comfortable position thanks to supportive bucket seats, and power adjustments. On my tester, the seats were ventilated, which only adds to the comfort level. Back seat passengers will find a decent amount of legroom, but headroom is at a premium. Due to the sloping roofline, it cuts the amount of headroom available in the sedan.

2015 Chrysler 200C 13

Thoughts on Power and Handling are on the next page

As power, you have the choice of either a 2.4L four-cylinder or a 3.6L V6. My tester was equipped with the latter which produces 295 horsepower and 262 pound-feet of torque and comes paired with a nine-speed automatic. The V6 is a perfect pairing to the 200 as it offers plenty of punch, along the refinement and smoothness the 3.6 has been hailed for. The nine-speed automatic seems to be a bit more in order from the last time I drove it as most of shuddering and not shifting into 9th gear has gone away. I think its a combination of the V6 engine and number of software updates Chrysler has been doing since 200 was launched. But that doesn’t mean all of the woes have been cured. The shift from 2nd to 3rd in my test car were very harsh. I can’t tell you if this was something with my test car or if it appeared in other 200s at this time. As for fuel economy, the EPA rates the 200C at 19 City/32 Highway/23 Combined. My week saw an average of 23.3 MPG.

2015 Chrysler 200C 14

As for ride and handling, the 200C is more aimed at delivering comfort. Driving on some of the worst roads Michigan has to offer, the 200C’s suspension is able soak up imperfections and bumps with no problem. Road and wind noise is kept down, making this a perfect long-distance cruiser. As for sporty driving, the 200C isn’t really suited for it. The suspension does keep body roll mostly in check. Steering is quick but is a little too light for dicing with corners. Those who want a sporting 200 should look at the S model as it features tuning to the suspension to deliver a fun car in the corners.

Calling the 2015 Chrysler 200 a major improvement over the last-generation model would be an understatement. Chrysler has made major strides in erasing the past and bringing in a credible contender with best-in-class interior, smooth performance from the V6, and styling that brings it into the present day. But the nine-speed does spoil the 200 with a harsh 2-3 shift. Chrysler has mostly everything right in 200 to make it a real champ, the nine-speed is holding it back.

2015 Chrysler 200C 10

Disclaimer: Chrysler Provided the 200C, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas

Year: 2015

Make: Chrysler

Model: 200

Trim: C

Engine: 3.6L 24-Valve VVT V6

Driveline: Nine-Speed Automatic, Front-Wheel Drive

Horsepower @ RPM: 295 @ 6,350

Torque @ RPM: 262 @ 4,250

Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 19/32/23

Curb Weight: N/A

Location of Manufacture: Sterling Heights, MI

Base Price: $25,995

As Tested Price: $34,415 (Includes $995.00 Destination Charge)

Options:

3.6 Liter V6 24-Valve VVT - $1,950.00

Navigation and Sound Group I - $1,395.00

SafetyTec - $1,295.00

19' x 8' Polished Face w/Painted Pockets Aluminum Wheels - $995.00

Premium Group - $995.00

Premium Lighting Group - $795.00

View full article

WOW  :o

That is such an amazing update to the old 200. Have not seen them around here yet in Seattle but it is pretty and I do like the interior, the best I have seen from Chrysler.

A likeable but still flawed entry in the mid size class. The model I like most is stuck with 4 cylinder only power and that dreadful 9 speed too many gears transaxle. The V6 models are far better but still suffer the occasional stutter or jolt shift, cost a lot more than the Limited, have over sized 19" wheels that ride harsher or in the case of the C, are priced far more than I think this car is worth. Also not a fan of the rotary shifter and interior room is a little snug in the back. My pick would be a Limited with option package and a 3.2 V6 from the Cherokee for the mid 25-26k range but alas Chrysler refuses to offer this.

reminds me of the Kizashis I had to sell, just enough smaller than the bulk of the mainstream midsizers to seem like a tweener.

In this case, maybe it makes the Chrysler feel more intimate and distinctive.  In higher trims, this is a nice interior.  I don't think i would like a rotary shifter, but I do admit its better than the Lincoln pushbutton arrangement.  And it saves space.

I love the rotary gear selector. It works well and it moves us into the future.  No need for the old style giant shift leaver in the center console when it's just an electronic actuator anyway. 

I really like the interior design. Exterior is so-so to me...

A few less impressive details but I am pretty keen overall on the interior and exterior. It's everything else I read about it frequently in reviews (transmission, ride on the S model) that gives me pause.  Have not had the opportunity to drive one.

twisting motion of a knob like that is hard for some people......disabilities, etc.

In those cases only a minority of shifters will work anyway.

I love the rotary gear selector. It works well and it moves us into the future.  No need for the old style giant shift leaver in the center console when it's just an electronic actuator anyway. 

So do you like the dopey Mercedes column mounted shifter with push button park?  I still like the old school shifter, which I have, but the stock does open up a lot of space in the center console.

So do you like the dopey Mercedes column mounted shifter with push button park?  I still like the old school shifter, which I have, but the stock does open up a lot of space in the center console.

Idea = 8

Execution = 3

I think any vehicle without sporting intentions, and even some that do have sporting intentions, should have push-button/rotary gear selection.   When we're getting into the 6+ speeds, the driver is no longer going to be doing gear selection via an old school shifter anyway.

• Upvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      FCA US Reports June 2018 Sales
      FCA reports best June retail sales in 14 years Jeep® brand reports its best month of June sales ever, up 19 percent Ram Truck brand posts best June sales ever, up 6 percent Jeep Cherokee reports best month of sales ever, up 89 percent July 3, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC today reported June 2018 sales of 202,264 vehicles, an 8 percent increase compared with sales in June 2017 of 187,348 vehicles.

Overall sales were bolstered by both the Jeep® and Ram Truck brands, which reported significant increases for the month. FCA retail sales came in at 155,208, marking the best June sales since 2004 when sales reached 155,663 vehicles. Fleet accounted for 23 percent of total sales, a 1 percent decline from the previous year.

Jeep Brand
      Jeep brand notched its best month of June sales ever with 86,989 vehicles sold compared with 73,153 in June 2017. Driving the results were the Cherokee, Compass and Wrangler nameplates. Cherokee and Compass sales nearly doubled, with Cherokee reporting 22,433 vehicle sales compared with 11,895 in June 2017. Compass sales were 15,142 compared with 8,311 in June 2017. Wrangler sales increased to 23,110 vehicles compared with 18,839 in June 2017.

Ram Truck Brand
      Ram Truck brand scored a variety of records as sales increased 6 percent to 51,729 vehicles, making it the best June sales ever. Ram brand retail sales also had their best June ever, rising 4 percent to 36,750. Driving the increase was Light-Duty pickup truck retail sales, which rose 11 percent to 24,036 vehicles. Total sales of the Ram ProMaster van nearly doubled to 6,996 vehicles.  

Chrysler Brand
      Chrysler brand total sales declined 32 percent in June to 13,484 vehicles compared with June of the previous year.

Dodge Brand
      Dodge brand total sales rose 9 percent to 46,387 as Charger sales rose 4 percent to 6,640 vehicles compared with 6,379 vehicles in June 2017.    

FIAT Brand
      Sales of Fiat declined 36 percent to 1,426 vehicles. 

Alfa Romeo Brand
      Alfa Romeo brand sales of 2,249 vehicles were up significantly compared with the same month a year ago. Stelvio led the brand with 1,231 vehicle sales, followed by Giulia at 979 vehicles. 

• By William Maley
      FCA US Reports May 2018 Sales
      FCA US reports best month of retail sales since July 2005 Jeep® brand reports record May of total sales, up 29 percent Jeep Wrangler reports record May of total sales, up 26 percent Ram Light Duty retail sales rise 18 percent in May June 1, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC today reported sales of 214,294 vehicles in May 2018, an 11 percent increase compared with sales of 193,040 vehicles in May 2017.

U.S. retail sales for the month rose 10 percent to 167,785, making it the highest month of retail sales since July 2005 when 219,045 vehicles were sold. It was also the best May since 2004. Retail sales accounted for 78 percent of total sales. Fleet sales accounted for 22 percent of total sales, a slight uptick from 21 percent for May 2017.

Jeep® Brand
      Jeep brand total sales rose 29 percent to 97,287 vehicles, making it the best May in the company’s history. Driving the brand was the Jeep Wrangler as total sales rose 26 percent to 25,102 vehicles. The results marked the best May ever. Meanwhile, Jeep Compass total sales rose to 17,327 vehicles, making it the best month of sales ever.

Ram Truck Brand
      Ram Truck brand total sales rose 2 percent to 51,884 vehicles compared with the previous year. Ram Light Duty retail sales rose 18 percent in May to 27,011 vehicles.   
      Chrysler Brand
      Chrysler brand total sales declined 18 percent in May to 14,724 vehicles compared with the same month a year ago.   

Dodge Brand
      Dodge brand total sales rose 4 percent to 46,581. The Dodge Journey notched a new May record as monthly sales increased 37 percent to 10,966 vehicles.

FIAT Brand
      Sales of Fiat declined 46 percent to 1,441 vehicles.  

Alfa Romeo Brand
      Alfa Romeo brand sales of 2,377 vehicles were up significantly compared with the same month a year ago. Giulia led the brand with 1,175 sales, followed by Stelvio at 1,183 sales.
    • By William Maley
      Is it possible to teach an old car new tricks? That’s the question Chrysler believes it has answered with the 2018 300. The current-generation model has been with since 2012, though the platform it uses goes back to nineties. Chrysler has been making various improvements to it with an updated look, new transmission, and revised trims. Spending a week with the 2018 300S, I found there were a number of things that make it a worthy contender. But there were some issues that made me leery of fully recommending this model.
      Somehow, the Chrysler 300’s design just gets better with age. The boxy shape of the body is complemented by a large mesh grille, slim headlights, and a clean looking rear. The S trim adds a hint of aggression with side skirts, rear spoiler, and multi-spoke 20-inch wheels. The green color and bronze trim pieces on this vehicle received a number of comments from the peanut gallery during my week. They ranged from what 1940’s army base did the 300 come from to some comparing it to appliances from the late sixties to early seventies. While I do applaud the chutzpah of the person who decided to go with this combination, I think the bronze accents are a bit much. Thankfully, they are an option and one I recommend skipping. Inside, the 300 isn’t aging so well. Most of the interior is fitted with cheap and somewhat flimsy plastics, very disappointing on a vehicle with a nearly $50,000 price tag. The soft-touch plastic used on the dashboard looks somewhat out of place with its textured pattern. For 2018, the 300 gets the new UConnect 4 system. The key changes are updated graphics and compatibility with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Thankfully, the updated UConnect system retains the logical layout with large touchscreen buttons and menu structure that we like so much. Our 300S tester came equipped with the base 3.6L V6 engine. Unlike most 300s equipped with this engine, the S gets slightly more power (300 horsepower and 284 pound-feet vs. 292 and 280). This is paired with an eight-speed automatic and optional all-wheel drive. Rear-wheel drive comes standard. Despite the small boost in power, the V6 in the 300S feels similar to other 300s and Dodge Charger/Challengers we have driven. On paper, the V6 is somewhat slow to the competition with a 0-60 time of over six seconds. But on the road, it doesn’t show any sign of sluggishness. There is enough power for most driving situations such as making a pass or leaving a stoplight. This is likely helped by the eight-speed automatic which provides quick and smooth shifts. Fuel economy is slightly disappointing if you opt for the AWD with EPA figures of 18 City/27 Highway/21 Combined. My average for the week landed around 20.4 mpg on a 50/50 mix of city and highway driving. S models differ from other 300s in the suspension. Chrysler uses a stiffer setup on the S to improve handling. It does show a marked improvement with less body lean and the chassis is willing to play. But it isn’t a vehicle you want to push around as the 300’s weight is very noticeable when cornering. The stiffer suspension will mean a slightly rougher ride. The 20-inch wheels that come standard on the S doesn’t help matters. As I mentioned earlier, this particular 300S is quite expensive with an as-tested price of $49,660 with destination. It isn’t worth the money considering you can get into a well-optioned Buick LaCrosse or Kia Cadenza for similar prices and feel you got your money’s worth. Also, Dodge offers the Charger R/T Scat Pack and Daytona 392 with 6.4L V8 that provide more performance for less money. Disclaimer: Chrysler Provided the 300S AWD, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Model: 300
      Trim: S AWD
      Engine: 3.6L DOHC 24-Valve V6
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 300 @ 6,350
      Torque @ RPM: 264 @ 4,800
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 18/27/21
      Curb Weight: 4,267 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Brampton, Ontario
      Base Price: $38,295
      As Tested Price: $49,660 (Includes $1,095 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      300S Premium Group - $3,495
      300S Premium Group 2 - $1,895
      SafetyTec Plus Group - $1,695
      S Model Appearance Group - $1,495
      Beats Audio Group - $995
      300S Alloy Package - $695

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Is it possible to teach an old car new tricks? That’s the question Chrysler believes it has answered with the 2018 300. The current-generation model has been with since 2012, though the platform it uses goes back to nineties. Chrysler has been making various improvements to it with an updated look, new transmission, and revised trims. Spending a week with the 2018 300S, I found there were a number of things that make it a worthy contender. But there were some issues that made me leery of fully recommending this model.
      Somehow, the Chrysler 300’s design just gets better with age. The boxy shape of the body is complemented by a large mesh grille, slim headlights, and a clean looking rear. The S trim adds a hint of aggression with side skirts, rear spoiler, and multi-spoke 20-inch wheels. The green color and bronze trim pieces on this vehicle received a number of comments from the peanut gallery during my week. They ranged from what 1940’s army base did the 300 come from to some comparing it to appliances from the late sixties to early seventies. While I do applaud the chutzpah of the person who decided to go with this combination, I think the bronze accents are a bit much. Thankfully, they are an option and one I recommend skipping. Inside, the 300 isn’t aging so well. Most of the interior is fitted with cheap and somewhat flimsy plastics, very disappointing on a vehicle with a nearly $50,000 price tag. The soft-touch plastic used on the dashboard looks somewhat out of place with its textured pattern. For 2018, the 300 gets the new UConnect 4 system. The key changes are updated graphics and compatibility with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Thankfully, the updated UConnect system retains the logical layout with large touchscreen buttons and menu structure that we like so much. Our 300S tester came equipped with the base 3.6L V6 engine. Unlike most 300s equipped with this engine, the S gets slightly more power (300 horsepower and 284 pound-feet vs. 292 and 280). This is paired with an eight-speed automatic and optional all-wheel drive. Rear-wheel drive comes standard. Despite the small boost in power, the V6 in the 300S feels similar to other 300s and Dodge Charger/Challengers we have driven. On paper, the V6 is somewhat slow to the competition with a 0-60 time of over six seconds. But on the road, it doesn’t show any sign of sluggishness. There is enough power for most driving situations such as making a pass or leaving a stoplight. This is likely helped by the eight-speed automatic which provides quick and smooth shifts. Fuel economy is slightly disappointing if you opt for the AWD with EPA figures of 18 City/27 Highway/21 Combined. My average for the week landed around 20.4 mpg on a 50/50 mix of city and highway driving. S models differ from other 300s in the suspension. Chrysler uses a stiffer setup on the S to improve handling. It does show a marked improvement with less body lean and the chassis is willing to play. But it isn’t a vehicle you want to push around as the 300’s weight is very noticeable when cornering. The stiffer suspension will mean a slightly rougher ride. The 20-inch wheels that come standard on the S doesn’t help matters. As I mentioned earlier, this particular 300S is quite expensive with an as-tested price of $49,660 with destination. It isn’t worth the money considering you can get into a well-optioned Buick LaCrosse or Kia Cadenza for similar prices and feel you got your money’s worth. Also, Dodge offers the Charger R/T Scat Pack and Daytona 392 with 6.4L V8 that provide more performance for less money. Disclaimer: Chrysler Provided the 300S AWD, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Model: 300
      Trim: S AWD
      Engine: 3.6L DOHC 24-Valve V6
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 300 @ 6,350
      Torque @ RPM: 264 @ 4,800
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 18/27/21
      Curb Weight: 4,267 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Brampton, Ontario
      Base Price: $38,295
      As Tested Price: $49,660 (Includes $1,095 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      300S Premium Group - $3,495
      300S Premium Group 2 - $1,895
      SafetyTec Plus Group - $1,695
      S Model Appearance Group - $1,495
      Beats Audio Group - $995
      300S Alloy Package - $695
    • By William Maley
      FCA US Reports 2018 April Sales
      Jeep®  brand reports record April sales, up 20 percent Jeep Wrangler reports highest month of sales ever, up 58 percent  Ram brand notches highest April retail sales ever, up 3 percent May 1, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC today reported sales of 184,149 vehicles, a 5 percent increase compared with sales in April 2017 of 176,176 vehicles.

Overall sales were pushed by the Jeep® brand which reported record sales for April. Retail sales came in at 143,995 vehicles, down only 1 percent despite April having two fewer selling days and one less weekend compared with April 2017. Fleet accounted for 22 percent of total sales.

Jeep Brand
      The Jeep brand total sales rose in April to 82,641 vehicles, eclipsing the record of 82,537 vehicles in April 2016. The Jeep Wrangler once again led the portfolio as the nameplate posted a new monthly sales record of 29,776 vehicles. April was also the second consecutive month of record sales for the Wrangler. Jeep Compass sales more than tripled to 11,521 vehicles.

Ram Truck Brand
      Ram Truck brand sales declined 9 percent to 43,074 vehicles compared with the previous year. However, the brand reported its best April of retail sales ever with 36,560 vehicles sold, outpacing the last record of 35,558 set in April 2017.    

Chrysler Brand
      Chrysler brand total sales fell 18 percent in April to 14,189 vehicles compared with the same month a year ago. The Chrysler Pacifica minivan posted a 5 percent retail sales increase to 7,864 vehicles.  

Dodge Brand
      Dodge brand total sales rose 4 percent to 40,994 with the Dodge Journey setting a new April record as sales climbed 39 percent to 11,638 vehicles.   

FIAT Brand
      Sales of Fiat vehicles declined 45 percent to 1,404 vehicles. 

Alfa Romeo Brand
      Alfa Romeo brand sales of 1,847 vehicles were up significantly compared with the same month a year ago. Giulia led the brand with 1,123 vehicle sales followed by Stelvio at 702 vehicles. 

• My Clubs