The First Test of a Versa-tile Machine

The First Test of a Versa-tile Machine

Posted Image

Nissan's new subcompact is set to hit dealers pretty soon but before it does Edmunds has decided to take the new Versa out for a trial run. Nissan seems intent on making this a vehicle with high value in its class, so how does it stack to the likes of the Yaris and Fit?

Read the First Drive of the 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8SL @ Edmunds

It is quite ugly. Definately uglier than the Yaris Sedan (although I think the Yaris hatch still takes the prize for ugliest small car). The front 3/4 view looks similar to a Fit, until you get to the front grille and healights, which are just wrong. Where did that grille come from? And the headlights look like they're straight off a last generation Kia. Back looks good though =)

It'll be interesting to see the performance numbers.

I've been hoping that with engine size, this thing would be the 350Z of the class, but alas, the Fit seems to be at the top of this class in sporty driving feel based on the reviews. It's a shame cuz I'm anti-Honda and pro-Nissan. And Toyota is the only company selling a 3 door in this class, my bodystyle of choice down here. I hope we get a Saturn Corsa soon. Like this summer would be good (yahright).

I've been hoping that with engine size, this thing would be the 350Z of the class, but alas, the Fit seems to be at the top of this class in sporty driving feel based on the reviews.  It's a shame cuz I'm anti-Honda and pro-Nissan.  And Toyota is the only company selling a 3 door in this class, my bodystyle of choice down here.  I hope we get a Saturn Corsa soon.  Like this summer would be good (yahright).

With a 1.8L engine and 6sp Manual trans, I would be very surprised if this isn't a little faster than the Fit (at least in a straight line). Has anybody posted performance times for the car yet?

With a 1.8L engine and 6sp Manual trans, I would be very surprised if this isn't a little faster than the Fit (at least in a straight line). Has anybody posted performance times for the car yet?

It's some 400 lbs heavier than the Fit. In a C&D comparison, the Fit accelerated quicker to sixty than the Versa.

I've heard the interior quality puts everything from the Altima to the Maxima to shame.

That doesn't mean much... <_<

We have two neighbors who work for Nissan, and one of them brought home a Versa. The interior quality isn't bad, but it certainly isn't impressive. The Yaris and Fit comparisons are a bit misleading, as this is Golf-sized.

I feel that the Versa is well styled. And, I like it because it reminds me a bit of current Renaults.