Random Thoughts Thread

That's a very streamlined clipper.

One article I read said perhaps the reason that Tesla went with this design is it is cheaper and easier to manufacture, requires far less complex stamping to do simple folded stainless steel panels than a conventional vehicle body.   Maybe with this Tesla can achieve their zero-human plant idea..

Edited by Robert Hall

9 hours ago, ocnblu said:

This is SO EASY... ;)

76980248_2624750367572074_5948277860962664448_n.jpg

Totally agree with you on this Tesla truck. Course easy to pull up the Cut and Fold paper autos. :P 

7 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

That's a very streamlined clipper.

One article I read said perhaps the reason that Tesla with this design is it is cheaper and easier to manufacture, requires far less complex stamping to do simple folded stainless steel panels than a conventional vehicle body. 

Like this story as Nikola the Semi truck builder has plans for a regular pickup and even offered it to Tesla for free to get it out there sooner. Good Read here: https://insideevs.com/news/384084/nikola-pickup-truck-design-elon-musk/

image.png

This would have been a far better Tesla than the Cyber truck he showed up with that is very questionable. Course his ego got in the way I think.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

That Tesla truck is so meme-able.  Too bad it fails at its original task: it so does NOT look like a truck.  What was Elon Musk thinking?

Well, it does look distinctive and stands out, doesn’t look like any other truck on the road.  That’s a good thing, instead of same old, same old it’s futuristic looking.  

Whether that leads to sales, time will tell...

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Well, it does look distinctive and stands out, doesn’t look like any other truck on the road.  That’s a good thing, instead of same old, same old it’s futuristic looking.  

Whether that leads to sales, time will tell...

Exactly.

I said earlier that I am curious to know why they chose to style it that way.

I read in another thread, or was it this one?,  that this design is cost effective for cheaper manufacturing. 

I guess it makes sense???

Trucks are utilitarian. I suppose?  No need to artsy fartsy them with any kind of style, I guess. Its not as if people in 2020 only buy trucks to haul shyte around the farm... And I LITERALLY MEAN SHYTE....MANURE

Image result for back to the future manure gif"

But, like you said, it actually DOES look different.

Who knows how many takers this will have?  Only time will tell...

We live in a very strange time...anything goes in 2020.  

EDIT:

Then I got to see Balthy's post and I kinda want to retract my statement...but then again...

We actually DO live in strange times...anything goes in 2020.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

Totally agree with you on this Tesla truck. Course easy to pull up the Cut and Fold paper autos. :P 

Like this story as Nikola the Semi truck builder has plans for a regular pickup and even offered it to Tesla for free to get it out there sooner. Good Read here: https://insideevs.com/news/384084/nikola-pickup-truck-design-elon-musk/

image.png

This would have been a far better Tesla than the Cybertruck her showed up with that is very questionable. Course his ego got in the way I think.

Nikola pickup truck looks MUCH better!

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

Is this the same ‘anything goes 2020’ that has rolls royce building an SUV?

Yes, as is Aston Martin and Ferrari.. Genesis may end up being the last to the party for SUVs.   I expect McLaren will announce one soon...

• Agree 2

Check out Cleveland Brown Odell Beckham's Roller.... in Browns orange.  And the Spirit of Ecstasy hood ornament was replaced w a figure of himself. 

I think I saw it in traffic one night a while back, something blocky and orange zooming past in the far left on I-90 coming out of downtown.

5cee9d972500003300dbd0c2-2.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

^^^

that aint half bad...

Its the long wheelbase that stretches the SUV's length to make it sleek. 

It kinda reminds me of the Presidential Limo

Image result for the beast presidential limo"

The Rolls Cullinan would make a great (visually) British Prime Minister or Royal  limousine Beast equivalent!!!

I do not know what platform the Cullinan uses...so that is why I said (visually). 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

And OH BOY...that Rolls SUV is is uglier than ugly itself.

Yeah RR Cullinan just looks like a strange slightly lifted Phantom wagon.

Sat in the Bentley Bentayga a while back while at the Penske Automall near me. It is super plush inside tastefully done with top grade everything as it should be for the $250K price tag. Pulls off the Continental style front end pretty well. Not sure how reliable they are and Resale is horrible like most luxury lines.

image.png.c89c57ec72f8e90f4e37c0d44a0a55c1.pngimage.thumb.png.4fdc030d43dfc0c19c402184950be375.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

^^^

that aint half bad...

Its the long wheelbase that stretches the SUV's length to make it sleek. 

It kinda reminds me of the Presidential Limo

Image result for the beast presidential limo"

The Rolls Cullinan would make a great (visually) British Prime Minister or Royal  limousine Beast equivalent!!!

I do not know what platform the Cullinan uses...so that is why I said (visually). 

You even have Beast 2.0 pictured. 🇺🇸👍🏻 Nice job Canadian brother! 🇨🇦😀

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes, as is Aston Martin and Ferrari.. Genesis may end up being the last to the party for SUVs.   I expect McLaren will announce one soon...

That's the point - everyone is doing the same thing, because the same thing does what everyone is there for- sales.

RE the 'cybertruck : you KNOW your shit is bad when a competing OEM offers their design to you out of embarassment / pity!

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

Sent this piece down the road. I got it in 1983 from a closed-down antiques shop/junkyard. 2' x 3', it's an original double-sided porcelain dealership sign. It's hung in my shop probably since the first year or 2 it was built (in '92).

Of course, Durant Motors was William Durant's final empire, incorporating Star, Flint, Rugby, Locomobile and Mason trucks, it was to have challenged his original masterpiece work (General Motors) but only lasted from '21-31.
Man who bought it said his father was friends with Durant and he's always admired him as an industrialist. It's a cool piece, but time for another to enjoy it.

22 Star sign 1.jpg

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Check out Cleveland Brown Odell Beckham's Roller.... in Browns orange.  And the Spirit of Ecstasy hood ornament was replaced w a figure of himself. 

I think I saw it in traffic one night a while back, something blocky and orange zooming past in the far left on I-90 coming out of downtown.

5cee9d972500003300dbd0c2-2.jpg

Repeat after me: NOTHING LOOKS GOOD IN ORANGE.  NO ONE LOOKS GOOD IN ORANGE.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

I've driven or ridden in only 3 convertibles (all with the top down):
'68 Buick Skylark
'68 Pontiac Catalina
'68 Cadillac deVille
What's the chances they would all be from the same model year?

I would say the chances are high, if your name is Balthazar.  :smilewide:

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Sorry for the lack of news today guys, I came back from the LA Auto Show with a nasty cold.  I'll have my first impressions from the show up this week. 

Take care Drew and recover, we can always wait a few more days. Get healthy my friend.

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Sorry for the lack of news today guys, I came back from the LA Auto Show with a nasty cold.  I'll have my first impressions from the show up this week. 

Get well soon Drew. Take care of yourself first and rest. Get well soon. Insert other media

• Agree 2

@Drew Dowdell

Get well!  Having a cold sucks. Especially when going to sunny California and coming back home east to crappy temperatures.  

PS:  the song is full of shyte

All the leaves are brown and the sky is gray.
I've been for a walk on a winter's day.
I'd be safe and warm if I was in L.A. 
California dreamin' on such a winter's day.

Image result for fucking California gif"

• Haha 4

After having read the story and watched the videos, I so totally agree with this, All people who want to be able to drive in America should have to attend this drivers school.

https://www.thedrive.com/video/29582/the-roads-would-be-safer-if-everyone-went-to-skip-barber-racing-school