Random Thoughts Thread

On 9/20/2020 at 7:11 AM, ocnblu said:

1965 Catalina 2+2!

119692080_2763822947222016_850442525437846399_n.jpg

Pulled Forward because it is wonderful. 

May be an image of 1 person, car and outdoors

For our Canadian bretheren...

May be an image of car and outdoors

For our aphabet loving friends of the Mustang Persuasion...

May be an image of car and road

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 21.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• balthazar

• David

• A Horse With No Name

• Robert Hall

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2021 GMC Sierra Elevation crew cab / 6.5' bed. 3.0L DuraMax / 10-spd.   It's only money.

This whole crossover craze has gone a bit too far....

• • • ORDERED A TRUCK TODAY. • • •

Posted Images

For our Buick loving Buddies...

May be an image of 1 person, car and outdoors

Fins...!

May be an image of 1 person and car

For the perverted in all of us...

May be an image of 1 person and outdoors

May be an image of car and road

Final thought...

May be an image of text that says 'If you ever feel useless ...Remember there are people on auto assembly lines ....That install turn signals!'

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
23 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

May be an image of text that says 'Catholic converter $350 S Awards The power of Chrysler compels you'

For those who endured wickedly mean nuns, it would take much more than $ 350.

By the time I had some of the few who were left, they had thankfully mellowed out.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Thought of the day - If you're listing a car with the 4100 engine.. you really can't say "power everything" can you...?

That's a good question, Mr. 5-HP-more-than-a-HT4100. :P

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, balthazar said:

I got the down low torque though.

and my car isn’t listed for sale nor would it be listed as “power everything”.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I got the down low torque though.

and my car isn’t listed for sale nor would it be listed as “power everything”.

Nothing you have is really competition oriented, but it is all cool. I do have a speical partiality to the BMW though. Seriously. And I like Albert's 300 more than I thought I would. 

5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

For Luxury car guys like Drew it's like with Rolls Royce....horsepower figures are always described as adequate....

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

For those who endured wickedly mean nuns, it would take much more than $ 350.

By the time I had some of the few who were left, they had thankfully mellowed out.

I was so happy when my younger son decided he wasn't going to Catholic school. He almost got a full scholarship to a very good local Catholic high school. But he visited it and hated it. Smart kid. 

May be an image of sculpture and text that says 'FAMOUS TOPICS IN ART HISTORY: HERCULES ATTEMPTING TO GIVE HIS CAT A PILL'

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I was so happy when my younger son decided he wasn't going to Catholic school. He almost got a full scholarship to a very good local Catholic high school. But he visited it and hated it. Smart kid. 

In many instances, Catholic schools are places where kids are sent by their parents to keep them out of a public school system wherein the schools aren't that great.  It's reactive rather than proactive.

Some (arch)diocesan Catholic high schools aren't automatically good.  The ones belonging to specific orders tend to be better.

Catholic high schools try to paint this picture of being egalitarian and whatnot.  There are a boatload of a-holes on both the faculty and among the snotty students.  The kids at a good public school and at a decent Catholic high school aren't any better or worse than the other.

I can honestly say that the 13th through 16th years of Catholic education (meaning college) stretched me thin.  By then, I was ready for a state university.  But, somehow, I got through it.

Liking the Hummer twins very much, great to see a second Ultium battery plant is going to get built in Tennessee.

GM Is Building Another $2.3B Ultium Battery Plant in Tennessee (thedrive.com)

Very cool story on the GMC V12.

GM’s Final V12 Was an Obscure 11.5-Liter Truck Engine From the 1960s (thedrive.com)

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

What I was really going to say:  I LIKE this new New York license plate ... simpler, picks up Western New York out to the eastern tip of Long Island (Montauk Point light), and the Adirondacks in between.   But the lighthouse at the right does look a little cheesy.

Some people in various states get knotted up when they are proposing a new license plate and they focus on one natural or urban feature and ignore the rest of the state.

190820081450-05-nys-license-plates-super

But, man, the old orange and black New York license plate on a black limousine or gangstah car with tinted windows really fit the bill.

s-l1000.jpg

Totally agree, I think state license plates should cover the whole state rather than just a certain segment. I see that on pretty much all of them.

Happy to see the old Orange and black plates go, but they do seem to fit on the criminal auto's.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, David said:

Totally agree, I think state license plates should cover the whole state rather than just a certain segment. I see that on pretty much all of them.

Happy to see the old Orange and black plates go, but they do seem to fit on the criminal auto's.

The black and orange plates in NY have long been retired.

License Plates of New York

And yes...I do LOVE them.  

In fact

I LOVE NEW YORK (@I_LOVE_NY) | Twitter

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I like those old plates....too many modern plates are so bland.  I like the old white on red Arizona plates,the white on green Colorado plates, and various past California plates.  I still have a couple sets of the white on green Colorado plates from the late 90s before they reversed the colors.

This '76 Buick looks good w/ the yellow NY plates.

76_electra_blu_amh_r.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I like those old plates....too many modern plates are so bland.  I like the old white on red Arizona plates,the white on green Colorado plates, and various past California plates.  I still have a couple sets of the white on green Colorado plates from the late 90s before they reversed the colors.

This '76 Buick looks good w/ the yellow NY plates.

76_electra_blu_amh_r.jpg

This NY plate preserves some of the old orange plate look, so it's better than some of the others they've had.

Agree.  Loved the white on dark red Arizona plates with a saguaro cactus, I believe.  The Colorado plate seems to continue on, possibly with different colors.  As for the California plate, the cursive thing has been on there for a while.  However, they've had the state nickname on there before - the Golden State - and they should put it back on.  

Now, if you have a state nickname like the Beaver State, as does Oregon, I don't think you'll find it that compelling to put it on their license plate.  At times, Pacific Wonderland has shown up on their plates.

Since "BREAD8" did not make the cut with the California DMV, perhaps a potential vehicle owner could try their luck with that in Oregon.

Good morning and Happy Saturday.

• Upvote 1

mid-'80s : I can remember one of these in my favorite junkyard haunt, esp that peaked center section of the decklid. It was a '67 Fury 4-dr, very dark blue, and someone had painted (very well) 'BUILT TO' and 'BOOGIE' in the large flats to either side of that peaked center. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 9.57.54 PM.png

It was at the end of one of the 2 rows the arrows point to, nose facing 'south'. 

Now ask me what I had for dinner last night. 

ManchursPittstownNJ1988 copy.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
22 hours ago, balthazar said:

mid-'80s : I can remember one of these in my favorite junkyard haunt, esp that peaked center section of the decklid. It was a '67 Fury 4-dr, very dark blue, and someone had painted (very well) 'BUILT TO' and 'BOOGIE' in the large flats to either side of that peaked center. 

It was at the end of one of the 2 rows the arrows point to, nose facing 'south'. 

Now ask me what I had for dinner last night. 

That's a really odd specific memory from long ago...but I totally get it. I can remember details of cars and the places I saw them long ago.  Or TV car ads I've seen long ago. 

Like I still remember seeing an unrestored dark green '68 Shelby GT500 KR convertible at a car show at Tappan Lake, Ohio in the mid 80s...I was maybe 14-15 at the time.  It had PA plates and I was with my folks and brother, chatted w/ the older woman that owned it.   That same day was the time my brother had a whole bottle of mustard explode on him while eating a hamburger at the diner where the car show was held...

The mind works in odd ways---connecting seemingly random things together.  A  bit or randomness yesterday...was talking w/ my sister about various basketball players of the past she liked and I liked--we both liked the '80s Lakers w/ Kareem-Abdul Jabbar and Magic Johnson since it was Jabbar's birthday...and that led to me remembering an Audi ad from the 80s--couldn't recall if it was Oscar Robertson or Wilt Chamberlain--a quick google turned up the Audi ad was w/ Oscar Robertson. I remember seeing that on TV in the mid 80s, maybe only once or twice.  Weird.

I had take out Kung Pao Chicken last night...I do remember that.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

Actually, I had a falafel wrap and fries from down the street last night.

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I can remember details of cars and the places I saw them long ago.  

It was just last year I tossed the ignition key I had pulled from the dash of a black/pink/purple '56 Dodge Royal 2-dr in the same junkyard in that same timespan, it was parked about a 3rd of the way up the same row.

• Upvote 2