Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

17 hours ago, NINETY EIGHT REGENCY said:

Trinacriabob:

All the best to you in your move to Europe. You finally made the choice and decision.  I recall the conversation we had some time ago. I hope for the best and that everything works out in Europe and that you enjoy your new life there.  All the best to you. 

Thank you for the kind words, @NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Everything is a balancing act, it seems.  I won't have big freeways, gleaming skyscrapers, and cheap fuel ... but gain some other things in the United States of Europe. Where I'm at right now, I'm about an hour from France and an hour from the French speaking part of Switzerland.  You overhear numerous languages, which is very okay with me because I don't do monolingual ... one of my quirks.

I like hearing about the cars you own, and have owned, because you have a lot of passion for and information about the cars that I loved growing up.  Happy New Year.  Stay healthy and safe!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Thank you for the kind words, @NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Everything is a balancing act, it seems.  I won't have big freeways, gleaming skyscrapers, and cheap fuel ... but gain some other things in the United States of Europe. Where I'm at right now, I'm about an hour from France and an hour from the French speaking part of Switzerland.  You overhear numerous languages, which is very okay with me because I don't do monolingual ... one of my quirks.

I like hearing about the cars you own, and have owned, because you have a lot of passion for and information about the cars that I loved growing up.  Happy New Year.  Stay healthy and safe!

You are most welcome.  You will gain more than you expect and you will find joy, peace., and fulfillment in your new beginnings in Europe. I recall how you discussed this in detail in our conversation. You achieved a goal. You will live it now. You seem to be in a good place where you are located.  I wish you a grand New Year and all the best in the year ahead. I will still post many kinds of car videos. Please continue to watch this site. I have a good one under opinion I posted yesterday. It was about buying bear classic older cars and which ones are good buys to daily drive. 

• Like 1

This was shocking.

The Airplanes sub-forum is intended to be a celebration of airplanes and aviation.  The following does not qualify, so it's here in Random Thoughts.

You know how when you sometimes get a snippet of a piece of the news and the gravity doesn't sink in?  Well, it sounded like 2 planes in Tokyo bumped into each other while taxiing or maneuvering and would need to be repaired. 

Far from it.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-67879308

This was an actual crash as a newer JAL A350 had landed at Tokyo Haneda and clipped a smaller aircraft with 6 people in it while moving on the runway at high speed.  Five of the six people in the small craft died (the pilot is in serious condition) and everyone on the Airbus 350 - 379 people - made it out in time as they plane was starting to catch fire.  They filed out to the different slides and listened NOT to reach for their carry-ons.  The hull is a complete loss.  They are investigating the situation and Airbus experts have gone to Tokyo to assist, but people have some general ideas about what happened.

This hearkens back to the weirdness of Air France 358 from Paris to Toronto where the A340 overshot the runway (there was no other plane involved), went into an embankment on the side of the big 401 expressway, broke up, caught fire, and yet everyone was able to exit the aircraft and survive the crash.  

• Thanks 1

I should have included this for a laugh.

Screenshot_20231212_193631_Maps.thumb.jpg.f8d354990b3d63f4c57b44f2d3b90b2c.jpg

Sometimes, Google Maps does a great job of telling you where you are but scratch its head when it comes to providing directions to get you somewhere.

• Haha 2

On 12/31/2023 at 2:29 AM, David said:

I am a little stressed right now as I read about the polls and polling.  I  know there are more qualified people available on both sides who aren't showing up or aren't monopolizing the media with theatrical high drama.

- - - - -

What I was really going to say:  health care professionals don't like smart people.  You can read an awful lot about things on line and, if think in visual and diagrammatic terms, you can practically self diagnose. I have correctly done it numerous times.

I had to trade in my last doctor after 3 years because he was so crass, but his medical assistant had a pleasant demeanor.  Now, I have a doctor I like enough, but his medical assistant can sometimes be a mercurial sn@tch.  I think I go in too late in the day, so she's probably on edge craving a smoke break.

This is why I do what I can to avoid the doctor's office.  My only vice is the occasional buffet or Brazilian steakhouse visit where they shave off the meats right at the table.

My dad didn't stay on his medication regimen for decades and courted cardiac issues later. My mom was never in the hospital between having me and passing away.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I am a little stressed right now as I read about the polls and polling.  I  know there are more qualified people available on both sides who aren't showing up or aren't monopolizing the media with theatrical high drama.

- - - - -

What I was really going to say:  health care professionals don't like smart people.  You can read an awful lot about things on line and, if think in visual and diagrammatic terms, you can practically self diagnose. I have correctly done it numerous times.

I had to trade in my last doctor after 3 years because he was so crass, but his medical assistant had a pleasant demeanor.  Now, I have a doctor I like enough, but his medical assistant can sometimes be a mercurial sn@tch.  I think I go in too late in the day, so she's probably on edge craving a smoke break.

This is why I do what I can to avoid the doctor's office.  My only vice is the occasional buffet or Brazilian steakhouse visit where they shave off the meats right at the table.

My dad didn't stay on his medication regimen for decades and courted cardiac issues later. My mom was never in the hospital between having me and passing away.

Agree that finding a competent doctor who is not caught up in crazy politics or watching their back over malpractice insurance is a hard thing to do now a days.

I have all but one doctor switched to new ones close to my house and so far so good, but I can tell in my new heart doctor that he is a bit standoffish. I will give him this year to see how he does as he does have good reviews.

• Great Idea! 1

I was scrolling around earlier today and saw the birthday list.  Then, I ran errands and also went to Ikea.  I checked it again later to make sure I didn't have sleep in my eyes ... and didn't want the day to pass without wishing @balthazar a happy birthday.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I was scrolling around earlier today and saw the birthday list.  Then, I ran errands and also went to Ikea.  I checked it again later to make sure I didn't have sleep in my eyes ... and didn't want the day to pass without wishing @balthazar a happy birthday.

I agree, happy birthday to @balthazar I think the lack of folks wanting to stay focused on ICE, old autos drove him to other areas on the internet to chat with others as I have not seen him pop in to comment on anything in the last year plus I think.

• Great Idea! 1

1 hour ago, David said:

I agree, happy birthday to @balthazar I think the lack of folks wanting to stay focused on ICE, old autos drove him to other areas on the internet to chat with others as I have not seen him pop in to comment on anything in the last year plus I think.

I think that, once we branched out from mostly GM, the focus should be pluralistic ... for anything that was, is, and will be on the road and that members like.  I obviously still love and carry a torch for GM's colonnades, from 1975 through their derivatives until ~ 1987. (I don't ever see becoming a fan of Tesla, specifically ... especially after being "traumatized"by one ... lol.)

Change requires stretching.  I've stretched some from only GM to other domestic manufacturers ... then to foreign brands ... and prospectively most likely to something just a bit larger than the basic econobox.

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I think that, once we branched out from mostly GM, the focus should be pluralistic ... for anything that was, is, and will be on the road and that members like.  I obviously still love and carry a torch for GM's colonnades, from 1975 through their derivatives until ~ 1987. (I don't ever see becoming a fan of Tesla, specifically ... especially after being "traumatized"by one ... lol.)

Change requires stretching.  I've stretched some from only GM to other domestic manufacturers ... then to foreign brands ... and prospectively most likely to something just a bit larger than the basic econobox.

One thing that will never change and that is change will always happen and while I love old auto's, I am so ready to move beyond to EVs and the future. So while I am happy to chat about the past and all things auto's, I do focus more on the future of what is coming and that is clearly a turn off for some that want to just stay in the past. Sad, as I enjoyed seeing his posts about his auto's and what he was doing. Would be nice to have an update on his hold car he was getting going again in the garage at his home.

I will say that I am very excited to see the release of the Genesis GV90 EV SUV.

image.png

WOW, This is very crazy to see on the Hyundai/Kia/Genesis EVs for Regen/1 peddle driving.

Clearly the software needs an update. I wonder if there is a way to see what the OTA updates have been for the EVs?

@Drew Dowdell do you know if there is a webpage for Hyundai/Kia/Genesis for software updates? I have not found anything yet.

Update, seems that Hyundai/Kia/Genesis has without a federal mandated recall issued an update for all EVs with 1 pedal driving.

Not Exactly a Recall: Hyundai to Update EV Brake Lights - Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com)

I was listening to the news and they stated that rental car agencies in Italy are shelving 20% of their EV fleets.  It didn't name companies, so it sounds like an average or aggregate.  With the infrastructure here, and rural swaths and poorer regions, getting them charged could be a problem.

People shouldn't be scared, but they are understandably apprehensive.  Everyone wants EV infrastructure they can work with and understand.  I remember when I found a Tesla charger and was thrilled. I then came to learn it was a Destination charger.  That's why no one was around. I had to move on to a Supercharger at 11 p.m.  I had the 20 minutes, but not the molasses slow 2 hours that would have kept me up until 1 a.m.

- - - - -

What I was really going to post:

I dislike and don't trust vessel dishes at eateries.  It has a smoke and mirrors aspect about it.

• Like 1

I saw this today.  Generic looking and the driver was somewhere else, so probably not a fast charger.

20240119_120551.thumb.jpg.efb187d71ce2545b768cfeadd99a536b.jpg

There are either 0 or 1 car(s) at these 2 dedicated spaces.

• Haha 1

Woke up this morning and realized it's January 20th.

That means January 20, 2025 is exactly a year away. (The leap year buys us a little more time.)

The variables are daunting.

* sigh *

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Woke up this morning and realized it's January 20th.

That means January 20, 2025 is exactly a year away. (The leap year buys us a little more time.)

The variables are daunting.

* sigh *

What am I missing, I do not get your post? Sorry

16 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Had to think about it for a sec...1/20/25 is when the next President is sworn in. 

WOW, Talk about a total zone on my part, now I get what @trinacriabob is meaning, thank you Robert.

• Haha 1

Everything is more legible and clearer from a laptop than from a smartphone.

Per the homepage, there are 2 birthdays today and I only really "know" one of the birthday folks.  That said, happy birthday (or buon compleanno) to @Paolino.  Enjoy the special day.

• Like 1

There was a thread about the Chrysler 300 somewhere in the heap and I saw one just the other day.

20240123_164016.thumb.jpg.c6fc0ff8c137bab1a10b02de9cfc8149.jpg

It's the older more bulbous "Gotham City" looking version which never got my attention.  It was badged 300 instead of Lancia Thema, which had a smaller V6 engine.  I have a feeling this one has the Mopar V6 seen in North America.  The most unusual thing about this one is that the car had plates with BG, which means Bulgaria.  Its license plate also used the Latin alphabet instead of the Cyrillic one.

In photo searches, it's somewhat amazing how many big American cars, and GM colonnades, were featured from Eastern Europe - mostly Hungary and the Czech Republic.

Where will they get the parts for them when they'll need them?

- - - - -

I saw this about a week ago.  I was walking past a gym and went in to inquire about pricing.  I saw this thing (see below) on the floor and asked about it.  The guy said he knew that it came from a Corvette, but didn't the year or engine size. 

20240111_213433.thumb.jpg.e71ff0c5f26062166ebff45caec9baa6.jpg

Knocking on it, it was a cast iron block.  Not what one expects to see in a small bread and butter gym.

4 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Everything is more legible and clearer from a laptop than from a smartphone.

Per the homepage, there are 2 birthdays today and I only really "know" one of the birthday folks.  That said, happy birthday (or buon compleanno) to @Paolino.  Enjoy the special day.

Grazie!

• Thanks 1

“In a new review video, Consumer Reports rips into the new Chevy Blazer EV in one of the most negative reviews we have ever seen from any respectable publication.”

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/consumer-reports-absolutely-shreds-new-chevy-blazer-ev-review?fbclid=IwAR1zlho2u105p52HDaKj7qiMpjX9xSw-zLshF4VOFoeWAPZ-ssBUuSPqgpM_aem_Aa89lR9AvcUKTUVuH3_P4L8bWkEaO1LP-ma6kUXzdwEK4EaLH075y6TfSXbpBs7RvCE

Remember when ULTIUM platform vehicles didn’t have issues? 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

“In a new review video, Consumer Reports rips into the new Chevy Blazer EV in one of the most negative reviews we have ever seen from any respectable publication.”

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/consumer-reports-absolutely-shreds-new-chevy-blazer-ev-review?fbclid=IwAR1zlho2u105p52HDaKj7qiMpjX9xSw-zLshF4VOFoeWAPZ-ssBUuSPqgpM_aem_Aa89lR9AvcUKTUVuH3_P4L8bWkEaO1LP-ma6kUXzdwEK4EaLH075y6TfSXbpBs7RvCE

Remember when ULTIUM platform vehicles didn’t have issues? 😂

Yea, GM is going to have some huge issues if they continue down the Android Qualcomm rabbit hole of ignoring the Android Auto and Apple Carplay needs of end users. Especially with Apple Carplay 2.0 coming out this year.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, David said:

Yea, GM is going to have some huge issues if they continue down the Android Qualcomm rabbit hole of ignoring the Android Auto and Apple Carplay needs of end users. Especially with Apple Carplay 2.0 coming out this year.

That is just one of a host of issues with the Blazer EV and they are not the first publication to experiences these many issues. Slow charging, fit and finish issues, (hello, busted seatbelts?), and more. I don't know what GM was thinking here but they need to get this sorted out quick and I am not just talking about their software choices.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

That is just one of a host of issues with the Blazer EV and they are not the first publication to experiences these many issues. Slow charging, fit and finish issues, (hello, busted seatbelts?), and more. I don't know what GM was thinking here but they need to get this sorted out quick and I am not just talking about their software choices.

Agree, we all know they do not have decades like Tesla to sort out battery building, software, controllers and more. They need to get this right with all the releases they have planned over the next 18 months.

I have posted in other places here and at my work social-car channel and on LinkedIn that GM needs to think ahead to the experience and not nickel and dime everyone. Putting slower charging controllers in a Chevrolet versus a Cadillac is not going to win them sales when fueling a ICE auto is pretty much the same no matter which division it is in GM.

Excellent read on Right to Charge and how to do it if you do not live in a house.

How to charge an EV if you live in a condo, apartment or use street parking - The Washington Post

Interesting read, facts are auto owners want less maintenance and cost, Hybrid vehicles and Hydrogen vehicles are NOT less expensive or Less maintenance.

Despite Bad Press, Half of Americans Still Want an EV or Hybrid (businessinsider.com)

Good morning ...

image.thumb.png.bdde26d1d4c2440ddd2e056aeccab848.png

... be damn careful if you run into this rich, twisted Berkeley educated novelist who doesn't wear panties, has a side dish named Roxy, and wields an ice pick.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Haha 2

Interesting movement in Tesla Stock and not a good one.

Tesla Stock Just Made A Death Cross As Market Sentiments Shift (msn.com)

Edited by Drew Dowdell
Had to remove the lady in the swimsuit. Google is a fickle master.
  • Haha 1

On 2/4/2024 at 12:03 PM, David said:

Interesting movement in Tesla Stock and not a good one.

Tesla Stock Just Made A Death Cross As Market Sentiments Shift (msn.com)

I don’t know much about stock market signals, but I do know that this is a fairly bad sign

• Agree 1

Very cool to see how many new EV charging stations were built.

The US Installed More Than 1,000 EV Charging Stations Since Summer - Bloomberg

Interesting that 1.2 million EVs were added and electricity use went down.

The US Added 1.2 Million EVs To The Grid Last Year, & Electricity Use Went Down - CleanTechnica

• Like 1