Sign in to follow this  
trinacriabob

Disappointing car colors - your take on this

42 posts in this topic

Folks:

We've already seen the ordering guides and the new color lists. Surfacing on the horizon for larger cars is a color called Midnight Amethyst Metallic. In reality, it's already here -- on Cobalt, as a minimum. It's interesting, but possibly trendy. It can look somewhat grape-like. It reminds me of the mid-90s Thunderbird color that's purple and reads differently under different light.

I guess I'm pissed because they shortchange us on variants of standard colors or fail to find a good shade of them and then insert trandier colors (this year Amethyst and 2 years ago Fusion Orange Metallic - I have seen NEW 04 and 05 GPs in that color still sitting on lots). Resale is an issue when you have a color that alienates buyers unless you plan to run the car into the ground and that's a moot issue.

Any colors that irk you?

I hate those light, mixed, and uniquely named colors... Ugh, I prefer bold or deep colors that is clearly a certain color, not being able to be confused with other colors.

Dear automakers,

Posted Image

This car is not Metallic Shale, Dusk Breeze, Platinum Mist, Medium Granite, Effervescent Steel, Wild Darkstone, Opel Slate, Byzantine Moon, Mountain Night, Evening Twilight, Slatestone Harmony, or any other esoteric euphamism you can come up with.

Its GRAY!!!!!!!

Thank you.

Dear automakers,

Posted Image

This car is not Metallic Shale, Dusk Breeze, Platinum Mist, Medium Granite, Effervescent Steel, Wild Darkstone, Opel Slate, Byzantine Moon, Mountain Night, Evening Twilight, Slatestone Harmony, or any other esoteric euphamism you can come up with.

Its GRAY!!!!!!!

Thank you.

:CG_all: , :lol::ohyeah::thumbsup::yes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Yeah, that hybrid-exclusive green is pretty horrendous. Should take a page from Vacation and name it Metallic Pea.

I HATE those blah, flat neutral grayish tannish kinda sorta sandy beige colors.

Give me deep, bold, vibrant, prismatic colors that make a statement.

Thanks.

Yeah, that hybrid-exclusive green is pretty horrendous. Should take a page from Vacation and name it Metallic Pea.

Ford's hybrid green is pretty nice...

Posted Image

It really depends on the car... Volvos, Mercurys, Saabs should have more of these colors:

Posted Image

Posted Image

They'd be horrid on a Camry, though.

Whatever that offwhite color the Volvo retract has, its not that attractive. Convertibles need to be vibrant, not blase.

I actually appreciate the impact of Fusion Orange Metallic, though. I think the CTS and Grand Prix are a little too 'big' for the color, but GPs don't look that bad with them. Perhaps its 'exciting'.

Dear automakers,

Posted Image

Its GRAY!!!!!!!

Thank you.

It's kinda hard when you've got cars like the 5-series: Silver Gray, Amethyst Gray, Titanium Gray, and Sterling Gray.

The Phaeton has the best, though, like Nocture Aubergine and Waterworld.

The Phaeton has the best, though, like Nocture Aubergine and Waterworld.

Hmmm...the last one is an appropriate color - both were grandiose, expensive failures.

I've seen VW's color chips for the Phaeton. Hillarious. Apassionata. Coucou gray. I guess its tailored for their target audience. Good idea. I want to see a new Jetta in "Like, Green", "Tur...koyse (sp?)??" and "OMG BLUE!"

Whatever that offwhite color the Volvo retract has, its not that attractive. Convertibles need to be vibrant, not blase.

Personally when I drive a convertible, I don't want people pointing and shouting...

And, plus, offwhite is teh roxx0rs!!!~

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hate those light, mixed, and uniquely named colors... Ugh, I prefer bold or deep colors that is clearly a certain color, not being able to be confused with other colors.

Heh. I figured you of all people would be more comfortable with ambiguity.

Oooo... the Harvest Beige Bug looks good, I haven't seen any hardtops that color yet. They have a new green on the Bugs this year, a little more silvery. I like it better than the old green.

The Harvest Beige is most certainly a throwback to the 60's... who hasn't seen an old bug in that color? There were also a lot of red ones similar to the dusky red on the '06s as well, and baby blue... when we gonna see that color on the new Bug? "Vapor" was just too pale, does anyone remember that special edition color? It was the palest blue... everrr. I actually saw a C5 'Vette that color once in Ocean City, MD.

I would like a more upscale, vibrant color palette from GM. Colorado/Canyon comes in some pretty pathetic colors. I still prefer my green to any current color, except maybe Superior Blue, and that's gone for '07, I guess.

Edited by ocnblu

I would like a more upscale, vibrant color palette from GM.

Agreed... if I'm not mistaken, the XLR-V has TWO colors available; the 'Vette has like six. Benz probably has more versions of black than that.

XLR should certainly have a similar "custom color" program to Porsche and BMW, where your car can be custom ordered in any color the customer chooses. It certainly would lend an air of exclusivity to the car.

XLR should certainly have a similar "custom color" program to Porsche and BMW, where your car can be custom ordered in any color the customer chooses.  It certainly would lend an air of exclusivity to the car.

GM probably figures that all XLR-V buyers take their cars to WHIPS or DUB or whatever. :unsure:

Phoenix Yellow exclusive on an M3. It doesn't match the car and looks like duck sh*t, yet people pay extra for it.

Posted Image

vs.

Posted Image

As for others... I guess it really depends on cars. Some cars, smaller ones like Beetles, Aveo hatchbacks and so, should have bright colors. Others, e.g. midsize/large sedans and sport coupes, should have darker and bolder colors.

Edited by ToniCipriani

*chuckles*

I remember one day at work (while I was still at Sears), after a meeting was over, I happened to glance out the window at the parking lot below ... and noticed how "bland" it was ... with various shades of silver, gray, tan, dark blue, dark maroon, etc. ... all colors that "blended" into each other, with only a few standout yellows and deep blues.... That was a sad view, imho :(.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"I wanna drive" ... Trace Adkins ... '(Her Favorite Color Is) Chrome'

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this