William Maley

Jeep News: Jeep Grand Cherokee Redesigned Pushed Back to 2018 or 2019

Earlier this month, we reported that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles was delaying a number of products due to company trying to find a partner. One of those products that was reportedly delayed was the Jeep Grand Cherokee, originally planned to have a redesigned launched in 2017. Now we have confirmation of the Grand Cherokee delay.

Jeep CEO Mike Manley told reporters yesterday that the next Grand Cherokee would launch in late 2018 or 2019. No reason was given as to the delay, but Manley revealed a 'mild refresh' would be incoming before the redesign.

Source: Reuters

View full article

the current Grand is just so Fantastic it is going to be very hard for them to 1-up themselves.

• Upvote 2

2018 seems lightyears away.

Its only 3 years away...if we count it as we do birthdays...technically, the 2016s are coming in a couple of months...so...in reality...that is only 2 model years away...for a vehicle that sells the way it does...in a niche where buyers have gone SUV crazy...again....for a vehicle that DEFINES the genre and niche...it aint no biggie...OK...come 2018...Jeep might feel a slight decrease in sales due to the fact that it has been that long...but Im sure it will still outsell its competition at that point in time regardless.

Edited by oldshurst442

2018 seems lightyears away.

Its only 3 years away...if we count it as we do birthdays...technically, the 2016s are coming in a couple of months...so...in reality...that is only 2 model years away...for a vehicle that sells the way it does...in a niche where buyers have gone SUV crazy...again....for a vehicle that DEFINES the genre and niche...it aint no biggie...OK...come 2018...Jeep might feel a slight decrease in sales due to the fact that it has been that long...but Im sure it will still outsell its competition at that point in time regardless.

Maybe by then Jeep will have to start discounting a bit.  Right now, it is darn near impossible to get a GC at any discount compared to much of the competition.

I have to wonder how they top this gen though?  Exterior, interior, drivability, are all so honed, how do you improve upon it?

I have to wonder how they top this gen though?  Exterior, interior, drivability, are all so honed, how do you improve upon it?

well, the 1st generation was great, and Jeep found ways to improve the formula. 

And...this is why it aint such a big deal for the next generation Cherokee to be introduced in 2018 or 2019.

Edited by oldshurst442

And...this is why it aint such a big deal for the next generation Cherokee to be introduced in 2018 or 2019.

Very true, except I never thought the 05-10 were that great and preferred the prvious gen. 

Very true, except I never thought the 05-10 were that great and preferred the prvious gen. 

That generation was engineered in conjunction with Daimler-Benz, right?

I dont really know too much about it because I hated M-B at that point in time because of the so called "merger of equals" so I lost all interest in anything Daimler-Chrysler built. Other than the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger of course. Oh...Viper too.  Yeah I know....Mopar LX cars are M-B derived...but Mopar changed them up so much that the LX cars were/are purely Mopar.

From a design perspective...they are ugly.

They became too bulky....and boxy...not that I mind boxy in SUVs...but this type of boxy was horribly done. Its like stupid M-B designers didnt like the rounded corners of the original Grand Cherokee and decided to cut corners...yes pun intended...and squared off the "roundedness"  like an after thought...

I dont know if Italian flair was in the air with this generation...but it seems like the nice rounded corners came back...a nice welcome back.

That generation was engineered in conjunction with Daimler-Benz, right?

I dont really know too much about it because I hated M-B at that point in time because of the so called "merger of equals" so I lost all interest in anything Daimler-Chrysler built. Other than the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger of course. Oh...Viper too.  Yeah I know....Mopar LX cars are M-B derived...but Mopar changed them up so much that the LX cars were/are purely Mopar.

From a design perspective...they are ugly.

They became too bulky....and boxy...not that I mind boxy in SUVs...but this type of boxy was horribly done. Its like stupid M-B designers didnt like the rounded corners of the original Grand Cherokee and decided to cut corners...yes pun intended...and squared off the "roundedness"  like an after thought...

I dont know if Italian flair was in the air with this generation...but it seems like the nice rounded corners came back...a nice welcome back.

Agreed.  And IMHO, the previous interior was better too.  No, it didn't have the geewhiz gadgetry and a touch screen, but it looked good and made extensive use of soft touch materials before it was the thing o do.  Our 01 never ceased to impress me. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      FCA US Reports 2018 April Sales
      Jeep®  brand reports record April sales, up 20 percent Jeep Wrangler reports highest month of sales ever, up 58 percent  Ram brand notches highest April retail sales ever, up 3 percent May 1, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC today reported sales of 184,149 vehicles, a 5 percent increase compared with sales in April 2017 of 176,176 vehicles.

Overall sales were pushed by the Jeep® brand which reported record sales for April. Retail sales came in at 143,995 vehicles, down only 1 percent despite April having two fewer selling days and one less weekend compared with April 2017. Fleet accounted for 22 percent of total sales.

Jeep Brand
      The Jeep brand total sales rose in April to 82,641 vehicles, eclipsing the record of 82,537 vehicles in April 2016. The Jeep Wrangler once again led the portfolio as the nameplate posted a new monthly sales record of 29,776 vehicles. April was also the second consecutive month of record sales for the Wrangler. Jeep Compass sales more than tripled to 11,521 vehicles.

Ram Truck Brand
      Ram Truck brand sales declined 9 percent to 43,074 vehicles compared with the previous year. However, the brand reported its best April of retail sales ever with 36,560 vehicles sold, outpacing the last record of 35,558 set in April 2017.    

Chrysler Brand
      Chrysler brand total sales fell 18 percent in April to 14,189 vehicles compared with the same month a year ago. The Chrysler Pacifica minivan posted a 5 percent retail sales increase to 7,864 vehicles.  

Dodge Brand
      Dodge brand total sales rose 4 percent to 40,994 with the Dodge Journey setting a new April record as sales climbed 39 percent to 11,638 vehicles.   

FIAT Brand
      Sales of Fiat vehicles declined 45 percent to 1,404 vehicles. 

Alfa Romeo Brand
      Alfa Romeo brand sales of 1,847 vehicles were up significantly compared with the same month a year ago. Giulia led the brand with 1,123 vehicle sales followed by Stelvio at 702 vehicles. 

• By William Maley
      Jeep has introduced a new three-row SUV for the Chinese market called the Grand Commander.
      There is a lot of design inspiration from the Yuntu concept shown at the Shanghai Motor Show last year. The Grand Commander has squared-off corners, large glass area, and front-end styling similar to the Grand Cherokee. In terms of dimensions, the Grand Commander is about two inches longer in overall length than the Grand Cherokee. But it is two-inches narrower than the Grand Cherokee.
      Only one engine will be available, a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder with 230 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. This is sent through a nine-speed automatic to either the front wheels or four-wheel drive system. Underpinning the model is FCA's Compact U.S. Wide (CUSW) platform.
      The Grand Commander is expected to go on sale sometime later this year.
      Before anyone asks, this is not the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer that is expected sometime in 2020 or so.
      Source: Motor Authority

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Jeep has introduced a new three-row SUV for the Chinese market called the Grand Commander.
      There is a lot of design inspiration from the Yuntu concept shown at the Shanghai Motor Show last year. The Grand Commander has squared-off corners, large glass area, and front-end styling similar to the Grand Cherokee. In terms of dimensions, the Grand Commander is about two inches longer in overall length than the Grand Cherokee. But it is two-inches narrower than the Grand Cherokee.
      Only one engine will be available, a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder with 230 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. This is sent through a nine-speed automatic to either the front wheels or four-wheel drive system. Underpinning the model is FCA's Compact U.S. Wide (CUSW) platform.
      The Grand Commander is expected to go on sale sometime later this year.
      Before anyone asks, this is not the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer that is expected sometime in 2020 or so.
      Source: Motor Authority
    • By William Maley
      It is no secret that Jeep has been toying with the idea of introducing a model smaller than the Renegade (see our story back in January). According to a new report from Autocar, Jeep might announce plans to do just that.
      In June, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles will be holding their five-year plan announcement. This is where the company outlines what's in store for the brands under the FCA umbrella. Autocar says Jeep is likely to announce their sub-Renegade model during it.
      As we reported back in January, the 'baby' Jeep would likely use the platform that underpins the Fiat 500 and Panda 4x4. It would be aimed at the European market where there is a growing demand for small crossovers. Jeep CEO Mike Manley said Latin America could also be another market for the 'baby' Jeep.
      Source: Autocar

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Hyundai has revealed a couple pictures of the next-generation Santa Fe crossover. The new model looks nothing like the current model with a more imposing profile. Up front, Hyundai has taken some ideas from the subcompact Kona with a similar grille shape and very slim headlights. Hyundai says the new Santa Fe is longer and wider than the outgoing model. Inside, the Santa Fe appears to be more premium with leather seats, stitching on the dash, and a new instrument cluster with a center mounted screen.
      No information was provided in terms of powertrains, but Hyundai has revealed some of the active safety features that will be debuting. First is rear cross-traffic collision-avoidance assist that warns a driver of approaching vehicles and will apply the brakes if it detects an imminent rear-cross collision. Safety Exit Assist will lock the doors temporarily if the system detects vehicles approaching from behind - such as a vehicle pulling into the next parking space.
      Hyundai will reveal the 2019 Santa Fe fully later this month, before it heads off to Geneva and New York.
      Source: Hyundai
      Press Release is on Page 2

Hyundai Motor reveals first images of the Santa Fe
      The New Generation Santa Fe is an elegant SUV with class-leading roominess. Hyundai Motor’s D-SUV connects with the new SUV family appearance and features an expressive and powerful front. Innovative safety features underline Hyundai Motor’s approach to making advanced technology more accessible. 6 February 2018 - Hyundai Motor unveils its first images of the New Generation Santa Fe which will celebrate its world premiere in February 2018.
      The company’s largest passenger car, it represents Hyundai’s strong SUV heritage and continues its global success story. The fourth generation Santa Fe is a powerful, premium-designed SUV with class-leading roominess.
      The Santa Fe displays a modern and elegant appearance complemented by eye-catching twin headlights and the Cascading Grille, Hyundai’s SUV-family identity. The exterior design is characterised by a powerful wide stance and an athletic, bold look. It features refined lines that reinforce the car’s status at the top of Hyundai’s SUV line-up. The Santa Fe interior design combines premium quality with a horizontal and roomy layout and enhanced visibility.
      Its exterior dimensions make the New Generation Santa Fe appear even more prominent. With a length of 4,770 mm, a width of 1,890 mm and a longer wheelbase, it also provides more comfort for its passengers.
      Hyundai truly cares about the customer’s well-being and offers best-in-class safety features. As part of its SmartSense technology, the Santa Fe offers a comprehensive package of Hyundai’s latest active safety features, making advanced technology affordable. Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist is a Hyundai first. When reversing out of areas with low visibility, the system not only warns the driver if vehicles approach from the side – it also applies the brakes automatically. The Safety Exit Assist prevents accidents when vehicles approach from behind by temporarily locking the doors, so that passengers will exit the car safely.
      Further details of New Generation Santa Fe will be disclosed at the world premiere before making its debut at the Geneva Motor Show in March 2018.

View full article
  • My Clubs