Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Jeep News: Jeep Grand Cherokee Redesigned Pushed Back to 2018 or 2019

Earlier this month, we reported that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles was delaying a number of products due to company trying to find a partner. One of those products that was reportedly delayed was the Jeep Grand Cherokee, originally planned to have a redesigned launched in 2017. Now we have confirmation of the Grand Cherokee delay.

Jeep CEO Mike Manley told reporters yesterday that the next Grand Cherokee would launch in late 2018 or 2019. No reason was given as to the delay, but Manley revealed a 'mild refresh' would be incoming before the redesign.

Source: Reuters

View full article

2018 seems lightyears away.

Its only 3 years away...if we count it as we do birthdays...technically, the 2016s are coming in a couple of months...so...in reality...that is only 2 model years away...for a vehicle that sells the way it does...in a niche where buyers have gone SUV crazy...again....for a vehicle that DEFINES the genre and niche...it aint no biggie...OK...come 2018...Jeep might feel a slight decrease in sales due to the fact that it has been that long...but Im sure it will still outsell its competition at that point in time regardless.

Edited by oldshurst442

2018 seems lightyears away.

Its only 3 years away...if we count it as we do birthdays...technically, the 2016s are coming in a couple of months...so...in reality...that is only 2 model years away...for a vehicle that sells the way it does...in a niche where buyers have gone SUV crazy...again....for a vehicle that DEFINES the genre and niche...it aint no biggie...OK...come 2018...Jeep might feel a slight decrease in sales due to the fact that it has been that long...but Im sure it will still outsell its competition at that point in time regardless.

Maybe by then Jeep will have to start discounting a bit.  Right now, it is darn near impossible to get a GC at any discount compared to much of the competition.

I have to wonder how they top this gen though?  Exterior, interior, drivability, are all so honed, how do you improve upon it?

well, the 1st generation was great, and Jeep found ways to improve the formula. 

And...this is why it aint such a big deal for the next generation Cherokee to be introduced in 2018 or 2019.

Edited by oldshurst442

I have to wonder how they top this gen though?  Exterior, interior, drivability, are all so honed, how do you improve upon it?

And...this is why it aint such a big deal for the next generation Cherokee to be introduced in 2018 or 2019.

Very true, except I never thought the 05-10 were that great and preferred the prvious gen. 

Very true, except I never thought the 05-10 were that great and preferred the prvious gen. 

That generation was engineered in conjunction with Daimler-Benz, right?

I dont really know too much about it because I hated M-B at that point in time because of the so called "merger of equals" so I lost all interest in anything Daimler-Chrysler built. Other than the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger of course. Oh...Viper too.  Yeah I know....Mopar LX cars are M-B derived...but Mopar changed them up so much that the LX cars were/are purely Mopar.

From a design perspective...they are ugly.

They became too bulky....and boxy...not that I mind boxy in SUVs...but this type of boxy was horribly done. Its like stupid M-B designers didnt like the rounded corners of the original Grand Cherokee and decided to cut corners...yes pun intended...and squared off the "roundedness"  like an after thought...

I dont know if Italian flair was in the air with this generation...but it seems like the nice rounded corners came back...a nice welcome back.

That generation was engineered in conjunction with Daimler-Benz, right?

I dont really know too much about it because I hated M-B at that point in time because of the so called "merger of equals" so I lost all interest in anything Daimler-Chrysler built. Other than the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger of course. Oh...Viper too.  Yeah I know....Mopar LX cars are M-B derived...but Mopar changed them up so much that the LX cars were/are purely Mopar.

From a design perspective...they are ugly.

They became too bulky....and boxy...not that I mind boxy in SUVs...but this type of boxy was horribly done. Its like stupid M-B designers didnt like the rounded corners of the original Grand Cherokee and decided to cut corners...yes pun intended...and squared off the "roundedness"  like an after thought...

I dont know if Italian flair was in the air with this generation...but it seems like the nice rounded corners came back...a nice welcome back.

Agreed.  And IMHO, the previous interior was better too.  No, it didn't have the geewhiz gadgetry and a touch screen, but it looked good and made extensive use of soft touch materials before it was the thing o do.  Our 01 never ceased to impress me.