2016 Toyota Tacoma, Butt Ugly or just my take on their design style?

David

G. David Felt
Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.CheersandGears.com

2016 Toyota Tacoma, Butt Ugly or just my take on their design style?

MSN reposted a story from The Street about the all new 2016 Toyota Tacoma.

post-12-0-02870800-1439301816_thumb.jpg

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/new-toyota-tacoma-aims-to-regain-us-market-share/ar-BBlBQ9s?ocid=ansfinap11

I can see that they are going for a very butch look on their trucks / SUV's / CUV's but I am not a fan of this body style, the nose is clearly taken from the (Personal Opinion) BUTT UGLY 4Runner. 

With that said, I will say that the military looking side of the truck is nice and I am sure current Tacoma owners will love to upgrade to this.

I wonder as the story says, can Toyota recover their lost market share since our modern Great Depression that hit the US and will this steal sales from the GM twins? Will they add a Diesel to the power train lineup like GM is doing? This should be an interesting battle to watch between Toyota and GM. Hopefully Drew or Mudd will get one ASAP to test drive.

What is your thought on this?

Found the original story on The Street (http://www.thestreet.com/story/13249495/1/toyotas-newest-tacoma-truck-a-salvo-to-regain-us-vehicle-market-share.html ) I will say that the GoPro mounting points will be popular I think with buyers. I wonder if GM will consider doing this, the only way to cover your backside is to record your pull over to counter the cops. Will be interesting to see if this trend takes over.

I like it. I think it looks better than the Colorado..but probably not the Canyon. I think a lot of that is the lack of the super low front air damn that the GM twins have. I think the wheel choice in the above picture isn't ideal but I think the truck itself looks really good.

I think the blue truck here looks much better.

As for the GoPro mount points, I didn't even think of using it on a daily basis.. I assumed it was for off-roading. I still like the idea of it overall. That's just one way to seperate themselves from the competition.

I honestly think it looks better than the Colorado. The Colorado is very "soft" looking to me. I like the Canyon and its beefier looking front end more but not the Colorado. Plus, the Colorado and Canyon come with the front diffuser that nearly touches the ground.. It looks like the Tacoma has an extra 6 inches of clearance off the showroom floor.

I'm really intrigued to hear more about the specs on this. Curious how it will stack up to the GM twins.

I honestly think it looks better than the Colorado. The Colorado is very "soft" looking to me. I like the Canyon and its beefier looking front end more but not the Colorado. Plus, the Colorado and Canyon come with the front diffuser that nearly touches the ground.. It looks like the Tacoma has an extra 6 inches of clearance off the showroom floor.

I'm really intrigued to hear more about the specs on this. Curious how it will stack up to the GM twins.

Your wish is our command - Toyota Reveals the 2016 Toyota Tacoma

Your wish is our command - Toyota Reveals the 2016 Toyota Tacoma

You got me real excited there..lol

Nah, more like a test/review is what I'm talking about.

There still aren't really specs on it though, are there? That was more a feature list and engine sizes(no outputs). No outputs, weights, capabilities, fuel economy..stuffs like that..

Most of the truck is a carry over though visually refreshed.  The 2.5 4-cylinder is the same.  The frame has been beefed up a bit. The only new thing (to the Tacoma) is the new V6, but even that is just a variant of the unit in the Avalon, and the transmissions.   With enough of the puzzle pieces, you can put together a pretty good picture of the new Tacoma.  

Looks like it's missing a few pieces, let's put it that way.  My airdam was taken off before I brought the truck home.  And I get great fuel mileage for a 305-hp V6 4X4 pickup truck.  The Tacoma just looks rinky-dink and purposely hideous.

The design changes don't make the truck look any newer, the new face has some odd proportions and shapes going on as well. I'm sure it will retain the loyal Toyota following and continue outselling the new GM twins for at least a few more years.

The Taco V6 will likely outperform the Colorado and Canyon with its weight advantage, but GM has an 8-speed automatic and two V6 options ready to swap in at any time: the 4.3L Ecotec3 and the all new 3.6L LGX.

Competition is a good thing. Keeps manufacturers trying to one-up each other and the consumer wins (see pony car/muscle car war).

• Agree 1

There still aren't really specs on it though, are there? That was more a feature list and engine sizes(no outputs). No outputs, weights, capabilities, fuel economy..stuffs like that..

Most of the truck is a carry over though visually refreshed.  The 2.5 4-cylinder is the same.  The frame has been beefed up a bit. The only new thing (to the Tacoma) is the new V6, but even that is just a variant of the unit in the Avalon, and the transmissions.   With enough of the puzzle pieces, you can put together a pretty good picture of the new Tacoma.  

Would it not just be best to say that Toyota took the Butt Ugly 4Runner and cut off it's Ass and Mid section and added a bucket back there?

• 5 months later...

Well I have been waiting for this redesign for awhile. When I went to the dealership my jaw dropped at how confused the truck looked. From the back it looks great. The side view is horrible, too straight and they left the rounded part of the cab the same which just doesn't match the boxy truck. The lights I like but the grill is too big. I hate the gimmicky tailgate, we are men and we don't need to wait for the dam thing too open. The seats are better than the previous model, which I will see if they fit in the older model. The flat dash really bothers me; it lines up perfectly with the hood and just looks boring. other than that I like the interior without the sunroof. I say this because my hair touches the roof which leaves me feeling unsafe. I'm only 6'1. The new engine is better on fuel but not by much. No supercharger option. The new truck is also lighter so in the winter you will slide even more, the back end was light enough in the last generation. All in all I will wait 10 more years until they get it right. Just buy the older gen and supercharge it. Price of gas is cheap so who cares about mpg. Plus the older model looks more balanced and way better customized. I also forgot to mention the new wheel wells are hideous, what were they thinking?

Disappointed Toyota Tacoma customer!

• 6 months later...

Absolutely the UGLIEST Tacoma yet!  Thought of getting a new Tacoma.....not the 2016.  Bring back the early 2000 model.....round wheel wells and a simple grill.

• 1 year later...

My 2013 is worth keeping until they make 4th generation tacoma even if i have to wait many year. Toyota passed on the redigned buck to the owners with 5k increase,;Sneeky butts

• 1 year later...

Totally agree - butt ugly design! I drove a 93 Tacoma for 22 years - but when it was time for a new truck (with actual safety features) I couldn’t get over how ugly the Tacomas were! Hope to get a Tacoma again if they ever come back with a nice looking truck.

31 minutes ago, FAPTurbo said:

who is objectively, sanely, rationally, lucidly thinking that this is somehow better?

81B52E66-4735-43FC-85E4-E84CF260040D.jpeg.ac69f189e19f7b074dcb56cc6917806b.jpeg

You think the Tacoma is in the same segment as the Sierra??

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I see no resemblance between the Tacoma front end and GMC's overwrought bling.

What ‘bling’? They both have 3-element horizontal grilles, w a large centered emblem, banded with chrome. Both have body-colored bumpers w round fog lights & a black chin spoiler. Both have 6-spoke, 6-lug alloys. Both have wrap-around flashy headlight clusters & flared fenders. 

45 minutes ago, balthazar said:

You think the Tacoma is in the same segment as the Sierra??

What ‘bling’? They both have 3-element horizontal grilles, w a large centered emblem, banded with chrome. Both have body-colored bumpers w round fog lights & a black chin spoiler. Both have 6-spoke, 6-lug alloys. Both have wrap-around flashy headlight clusters & flared fenders. 

GMC has more chrome and their grilles are far larger and blockier than the Tacoma’s.    No resemblance in the shape or detail of the grille or lighting clusters either.  

Yes- they’re not literally copies of each other. Kinda of a given.

Besides, the Canyon has just what you advocated for with the ‘19 Sierra- no ‘fangs’ / the rectangular grille of recent earlier versions. I have no issue with it, and it’s actually more distinctive vs the ‘coma- there’s about 50 cars/trucks running the 6-sided trapezoid grille recently.

Edited by balthazar

Canyon is mid-line in looks for me- no issues but no lust. Part of that is the small size. It's better than the 'coma (which looks dated to me).
I don't know what it is about the Silverado- I still really like the nose. It still may be the cues borrowed off the B-59... ;)
And it's certainly not automatic for me - the current Canyon ranks higher than the Silverado I've been driving for years in the looks department. Sierra is pretty awesome, either the new one above or the 'classic' ~

IMG_0333.jpg

50 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't think the Tacoma is that bad.  The GM mid-sizers are starting to look dated.

And I just can't with all that chrome on most of the GM big-trucks.  

Black Edition of the GMC with Black Chrome is good looking, but yes, the Baby Boomer Chrome everything is over kill.