dfelt

2016 Toyota Tacoma, Butt Ugly or just my take on their design style?

G. David Felt
Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.CheersandGears.com

2016 Toyota Tacoma, Butt Ugly or just my take on their design style?

MSN reposted a story from The Street about the all new 2016 Toyota Tacoma.

post-12-0-02870800-1439301816_thumb.jpg

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/new-toyota-tacoma-aims-to-regain-us-market-share/ar-BBlBQ9s?ocid=ansfinap11

I can see that they are going for a very butch look on their trucks / SUV's / CUV's but I am not a fan of this body style, the nose is clearly taken from the (Personal Opinion) BUTT UGLY 4Runner. 

With that said, I will say that the military looking side of the truck is nice and I am sure current Tacoma owners will love to upgrade to this.

I wonder as the story says, can Toyota recover their lost market share since our modern Great Depression that hit the US and will this steal sales from the GM twins? Will they add a Diesel to the power train lineup like GM is doing? This should be an interesting battle to watch between Toyota and GM. Hopefully Drew or Mudd will get one ASAP to test drive.

What is your thought on this?

Found the original story on The Street (http://www.thestreet.com/story/13249495/1/toyotas-newest-tacoma-truck-a-salvo-to-regain-us-vehicle-market-share.html ) I will say that the GoPro mounting points will be popular I think with buyers. I wonder if GM will consider doing this, the only way to cover your backside is to record your pull over to counter the cops. Will be interesting to see if this trend takes over.

I like it. I think it looks better than the Colorado..but probably not the Canyon. I think a lot of that is the lack of the super low front air damn that the GM twins have. I think the wheel choice in the above picture isn't ideal but I think the truck itself looks really good.

I think the blue truck here looks much better.

As for the GoPro mount points, I didn't even think of using it on a daily basis.. I assumed it was for off-roading. I still like the idea of it overall. That's just one way to seperate themselves from the competition.

It is clearly and without doubt the ugliest pickup truck on the market, and that includes the Mahindra.

I honestly think it looks better than the Colorado. The Colorado is very "soft" looking to me. I like the Canyon and its beefier looking front end more but not the Colorado. Plus, the Colorado and Canyon come with the front diffuser that nearly touches the ground.. It looks like the Tacoma has an extra 6 inches of clearance off the showroom floor.

I'm really intrigued to hear more about the specs on this. Curious how it will stack up to the GM twins.

I honestly think it looks better than the Colorado. The Colorado is very "soft" looking to me. I like the Canyon and its beefier looking front end more but not the Colorado. Plus, the Colorado and Canyon come with the front diffuser that nearly touches the ground.. It looks like the Tacoma has an extra 6 inches of clearance off the showroom floor.

I'm really intrigued to hear more about the specs on this. Curious how it will stack up to the GM twins.

Your wish is our command - Toyota Reveals the 2016 Toyota Tacoma

Your wish is our command - Toyota Reveals the 2016 Toyota Tacoma

You got me real excited there..lol

Nah, more like a test/review is what I'm talking about.

Oh, I thought you were just looking for the specs.

I thought William had one in recently, but that was a Tundra.

There still aren't really specs on it though, are there? That was more a feature list and engine sizes(no outputs). No outputs, weights, capabilities, fuel economy..stuffs like that..

There still aren't really specs on it though, are there? That was more a feature list and engine sizes(no outputs). No outputs, weights, capabilities, fuel economy..stuffs like that..

Most of the truck is a carry over though visually refreshed.  The 2.5 4-cylinder is the same.  The frame has been beefed up a bit. The only new thing (to the Tacoma) is the new V6, but even that is just a variant of the unit in the Avalon, and the transmissions.   With enough of the puzzle pieces, you can put together a pretty good picture of the new Tacoma.  

Looks like it's missing a few pieces, let's put it that way.  My airdam was taken off before I brought the truck home.  And I get great fuel mileage for a 305-hp V6 4X4 pickup truck.  The Tacoma just looks rinky-dink and purposely hideous.

The design changes don't make the truck look any newer, the new face has some odd proportions and shapes going on as well. I'm sure it will retain the loyal Toyota following and continue outselling the new GM twins for at least a few more years.

The Taco V6 will likely outperform the Colorado and Canyon with its weight advantage, but GM has an 8-speed automatic and two V6 options ready to swap in at any time: the 4.3L Ecotec3 and the all new 3.6L LGX.

Competition is a good thing. Keeps manufacturers trying to one-up each other and the consumer wins (see pony car/muscle car war).

• Upvote 1

New Tacoma interior is retro in a decidedly 1950's cheesy Japanese science fiction way.

Most of the truck is a carry over though visually refreshed.  The 2.5 4-cylinder is the same.  The frame has been beefed up a bit. The only new thing (to the Tacoma) is the new V6, but even that is just a variant of the unit in the Avalon, and the transmissions.   With enough of the puzzle pieces, you can put together a pretty good picture of the new Tacoma.  

Would it not just be best to say that Toyota took the Butt Ugly 4Runner and cut off it's Ass and Mid section and added a bucket back there?

Guest Hans

Well I have been waiting for this redesign for awhile. When I went to the dealership my jaw dropped at how confused the truck looked. From the back it looks great. The side view is horrible, too straight and they left the rounded part of the cab the same which just doesn't match the boxy truck. The lights I like but the grill is too big. I hate the gimmicky tailgate, we are men and we don't need to wait for the dam thing too open. The seats are better than the previous model, which I will see if they fit in the older model. The flat dash really bothers me; it lines up perfectly with the hood and just looks boring. other than that I like the interior without the sunroof. I say this because my hair touches the roof which leaves me feeling unsafe. I'm only 6'1. The new engine is better on fuel but not by much. No supercharger option. The new truck is also lighter so in the winter you will slide even more, the back end was light enough in the last generation. All in all I will wait 10 more years until they get it right. Just buy the older gen and supercharge it. Price of gas is cheap so who cares about mpg. Plus the older model looks more balanced and way better customized. I also forgot to mention the new wheel wells are hideous, what were they thinking?

Disappointed Toyota Tacoma customer!

Guest JOhn

Absolutely the UGLIEST Tacoma yet!  Thought of getting a new Tacoma.....not the 2016.  Bring back the early 2000 model.....round wheel wells and a simple grill.

Guest Lazer

My 2013 is worth keeping until they make 4th generation tacoma even if i have to wait many year. Toyota passed on the redigned buck to the owners with 5k increase,;Sneeky butts

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Chris Chapman, senior chief designer at Hyundai's Design Center has an ambitious plan for the coming years. He wants each Hyundai model to have their own visual identity.
      "We're going for more of this chess-piece rather than the family look. We're using consistently shared elements … but we're going to avoid this sort of Russian-doll approach to our vehicles in the future," Chapman told reporters at the media launch of the Kona EV.
      Designers will be tasked to give each model "a look that matches its intended use and customer." Take for example the Kona crossover which has a funky look that should appeal to a younger audience than the new Santa Fe. Another example is the Kona and Kona EV that have different design touches to set them apart.
      "Both kind of have extroverted design, but they're dressed differently for different demographic purposes," Chapman said.
      Part of Chapman's motivation for this comes from his past. As Roadshow notes, he worked as a designer at BMW during the Chris Bangle era which brought forth the problem of telling the difference between the 3, 5, and 7-Series. He said BMW referred to this as "Eine Wurst, drei Grosse" -- one sausage, three sizes. While he may not say it outright, reading between the lines reveals he would like to avoid this.
      Source: Roadshow

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Chris Chapman, senior chief designer at Hyundai's Design Center has an ambitious plan for the coming years. He wants each Hyundai model to have their own visual identity.
      "We're going for more of this chess-piece rather than the family look. We're using consistently shared elements … but we're going to avoid this sort of Russian-doll approach to our vehicles in the future," Chapman told reporters at the media launch of the Kona EV.
      Designers will be tasked to give each model "a look that matches its intended use and customer." Take for example the Kona crossover which has a funky look that should appeal to a younger audience than the new Santa Fe. Another example is the Kona and Kona EV that have different design touches to set them apart.
      "Both kind of have extroverted design, but they're dressed differently for different demographic purposes," Chapman said.
      Part of Chapman's motivation for this comes from his past. As Roadshow notes, he worked as a designer at BMW during the Chris Bangle era which brought forth the problem of telling the difference between the 3, 5, and 7-Series. He said BMW referred to this as "Eine Wurst, drei Grosse" -- one sausage, three sizes. While he may not say it outright, reading between the lines reveals he would like to avoid this.
      Source: Roadshow
    • By William Maley
      Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is none too pleased with the Indian automaker Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd as they're planning to sell an off-road vehicle that looks very much like the original Willys Jeep.
      Bloomberg obtained a complaint filed by FCA to the U.S. International Trade Commission on August 1st. The document claims that Mahindra's Roxor infringes key characteristics of Jeep's signature design - namely the “boxy body shape with flat-appearing vertical sides and rear body ending at about the same height as the hood.”
      “They are a nearly identical copy of the iconic Jeep design. In fact, the accused product was ‘modeled after the original Willys Jeep."
      The Roxor is a small, two-seat off-road vehicle. There is a lot of resemblance to original Jeep design and there is a reason for that. Beginning in 1947, Mahindra got a license to build the Willys CJ3 for the Asian market. They would do so until 2010. At this point, Mahindra introduced an updated model known as the Thar that meets India's road going passenger vehicle standards and looks like a 1990's Wrangler.
      Now the Roxor isn't being sold as road-legal vehicle. Instead, Mahindra is selling this as a side-by-side off-road utility. That means its not road legal. Which brings us to the next key part of FCA's complaint. The company is arguing that Roxor imports "threaten it with substantial injury as they are underselling Jeeps." This is due to Mahindra manufacturing the parts and creating a knock-down kit, which is then shipped to a plant in the Detroit area for final assembly. We're not sure about this partly due to the arena the Roxor competes in, but also the price. The model begins at just under $15,500. Comparable models from Polaris and Honda begin at under $10,000.
      While Mahindra has had some success in the U.S. with tractors, they haven't had the same when it comes to automobiles. Previously, the company was planning to offer a diesel pickup through a distributor. But plans were scrapped and Mahindra would find itself in a lengthy court battle. The Roxor is the next attempt at possible entry for Mahindra to enter the automotive market. They have spent almost a quarter-billion dollars for a new assembly plant where they currently employ around 300 people. Last November, the company announced a $600 investment and plans to employ as many as 670 workers by 2020.
      Source: Bloomberg

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is none too pleased with the Indian automaker Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd as they're planning to sell an off-road vehicle that looks very much like the original Willys Jeep.
      Bloomberg obtained a complaint filed by FCA to the U.S. International Trade Commission on August 1st. The document claims that Mahindra's Roxor infringes key characteristics of Jeep's signature design - namely the “boxy body shape with flat-appearing vertical sides and rear body ending at about the same height as the hood.”
      “They are a nearly identical copy of the iconic Jeep design. In fact, the accused product was ‘modeled after the original Willys Jeep."
      The Roxor is a small, two-seat off-road vehicle. There is a lot of resemblance to original Jeep design and there is a reason for that. Beginning in 1947, Mahindra got a license to build the Willys CJ3 for the Asian market. They would do so until 2010. At this point, Mahindra introduced an updated model known as the Thar that meets India's road going passenger vehicle standards and looks like a 1990's Wrangler.
      Now the Roxor isn't being sold as road-legal vehicle. Instead, Mahindra is selling this as a side-by-side off-road utility. That means its not road legal. Which brings us to the next key part of FCA's complaint. The company is arguing that Roxor imports "threaten it with substantial injury as they are underselling Jeeps." This is due to Mahindra manufacturing the parts and creating a knock-down kit, which is then shipped to a plant in the Detroit area for final assembly. We're not sure about this partly due to the arena the Roxor competes in, but also the price. The model begins at just under $15,500. Comparable models from Polaris and Honda begin at under $10,000.
      While Mahindra has had some success in the U.S. with tractors, they haven't had the same when it comes to automobiles. Previously, the company was planning to offer a diesel pickup through a distributor. But plans were scrapped and Mahindra would find itself in a lengthy court battle. The Roxor is the next attempt at possible entry for Mahindra to enter the automotive market. They have spent almost a quarter-billion dollars for a new assembly plant where they currently employ around 300 people. Last November, the company announced a $600 investment and plans to employ as many as 670 workers by 2020.
      Source: Bloomberg
    • By William Maley
      Tesla only has one assembly plant in Fremont, California. But that could be changing in the near future.
      Yesterday, Tesla and the and the Shanghai government reached a preliminary deal for a new assembly plant. The automaker expects production in about three year's time, provided they can get the approvals and permits needed. Tesla says the plant could build up to 500,000 vehicles annually. According to Bloomberg, the plant is expected to build the Model 3 sedan and upcoming Model Y crossover.
      Tesla building a plant in China doesn't come as surprise. The country is the largest market for electric vehicles, and most forecasters believe sales will skyrocket as government regulations push toward a goal of 100 percent electric vehicles by 2030.
      There are some questions about this new factory. For one, how is Tesla going to pay for this new plant? At the end of the first quarter, the company burned through $2.7 billion, mostly due to various issues dealing with ramping up Model 3 production. The Shanghai government said it would help cover some of capital costs.
      The other is will Tesla need to share technologies with a Chinese partner. Currently, any foreign automaker has to enter into a joint venture with a Chinese automaker and transfer various technologies.
      "For technology transfer, it is a matter subject to negotiation between the enterprises," said Huang Ou, deputy head of the Shanghai government’s economy and information technology commission.
      The Chinese government announced back in May that it would scrap the rules for "capping foreign ownership of new-energy vehicle ventures" by 2022.
      Source: Bloomberg, Reuters

View full article
  • My Clubs