Jeep News: Jeep Cherokee Adds Overland Trim

Drew Dowdell

At the New England International Auto Show today, Jeep unveiled a new Overland trim for the Jeep Cherokee mid-size crossover.

The new trim level, which goes on sale in Spring 2016, is a new luxury version of the Cherokee. The outside of the Overland features body colored lower trim cladding, new 18" wheels, standard HID bi-xenon head lights.

Inside, the Overland adds new Zebrano wood grim, standard leather heated/vented seating, and the 8.4 inch UConnect system. All Overlands come standard with Jeep's Active Drive II 4x4, which has a 2 speed power transfer unit with low range. Standard power is the familiar 2.4 liter Tigershark producing 184 hp @ 6400 rpm and 171 lb-ft of torque @ 4600 rpm. Buyers can opt up to the 3.2 liter V6 with stop/start that is good for 271 hp @ 6500 rpm and 239 lb-ft of torque @ 4400 rpm. Both engines run power to the wheels via a 9-speed automatic.

Additional standard features include everything on the Limited model, along with blind spot monitoring, power rear hatch, rear crosspath detection, rear backup sensors, and additional sound insulation.

Pricing for the 2016 Cherokee Overland is expected to be $35,690 after destination charge.

Jeep Press Release on page 2

Jeep® Expands Cherokee Lineup With Premium Overland Model

• New 2016 Jeep® Cherokee Overland debuts at New England International Auto Show
  • More premium Jeep Cherokee model boasts an unmatched combination of luxury and capability in the mid-size SUV segment
  • Cherokee Overland delivers sophisticated styling, a well-appointed interior, a long list of premium standard features and legendary Jeep capability
  • New premium Cherokee Overland available in Jeep showrooms this spring
  • Jeep Cherokee sales increased 23 percent in 2015

January 14, 2016 , Boston - The Jeep® brand is introducing its new Cherokee Overland today at the New England International Auto Show, expanding the brand’s lineup to deliver consumers a new level of luxury combined with unmatched capability in the mid-size SUV segment.

“The new Cherokee Overland model is a direct response to consumers looking for benchmark 4x4 capability that only Jeep can offer, in a stunning, more luxurious package loaded with premium amenities,” said Mike Manley, Head of Jeep Brand – FCA Global. “Cherokee sales increased 23 percent in 2015, and we expect the new Overland model will attract even more consumers into our Jeep showrooms going forward.”

The new Cherokee Overland joins Sport, Latitude, Limited and Trailhawk models in the Cherokee lineup. With a U.S. Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $34,695 (plus $995 destination), Cherokee Overland arrives in Jeep dealerships this spring.

2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland
An exclusive style, premium amenities and enhancements and a long list of standard equipment elevate the new 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland model to new levels of refined elegance and comfort.

The exterior of the new Cherokee Overland model features new body-color fascias with a bright front grille and chin extension, body-color door cladding and wheel flares, new 18-inch fully polished bright aluminum wheels, standard HID bi-xenon headlamps and “Overland” badge on the liftgate.

Inspired by the award-winning Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland model, the Jeep Cherokee Overland interior includes a host of premium enhancements, including a leather-wrapped instrument panel, power front driver and passenger seat with four-way power lumbar, a new Jeep steering wheel with Zebrano high-gloss wood trim, bright door sill plates, Berber floor mats, standard Nappa leather seats with ventilated/heated front seats, standard Alpine Premium Audio system, Uconnect 8.4AN AM/FM radio with 8.4-in. touchscreen display, Bluetooth, Navigation, HD Radio, SiriusXM Travel Link, SiriusXM Traffic, Uconnect Access Advantage, and standard memory driver’s seat, radio and exterior mirrors.

In addition to the interior and exterior design enhancements and the standard equipment found on the Jeep Cherokee Limited model, the 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland model adds the following as standard equipment: power liftgate, blind spot monitoring and rear crosspath detection, Parksense rear backup assist system and a premium insulation group. The new Jeep Cherokee Overland 4x4 model comes standard with 8.2 inches of ground clearance to help drivers reach the most demanding destinations.

Living up to the “Overland” name, each Jeep Cherokee Overland 4x4 model comes equipped with the Jeep Active Drive II 4x4 system, which includes a two-speed power transfer unit, low range and an industry-first disconnecting rear axle for improved fuel efficiency when 4x4 capability isn’t needed.

In addition, the Jeep Active Drive II system features the Jeep brand’s Selec-Terrain traction control system. Selec-Terrain allows the driver, with a push of a button on the Selec-Terrain dial, to choose the on- and off-road setting for optimum performance. Four customized settings are offered on the new Cherokee Overland model: Auto, Snow, Sport and Sand/Mud.

Selec-Terrain is designed to optimize the four-wheel-drive systems for unsurpassed control and capability. Selec-Terrain electronically coordinates and optimizes up to 12 systems on any terrain providing enhanced vehicle control, including drivetrain control module, electronic brake controller, ESC, transmission controller, powertrain controller and Selec-Speed Control (Hill-ascent and Hill-descent Control). The system also includes Jeep Selec-Terrain, allowing drivers to choose between four modes (auto, sport, snow and sand/mud), which optimizes the 4x4 system to the driving conditions.

Optional features on the 2016 Cherokee Overland model include:

• Heavy Duty Protection group includes skid plates and full-size spare tire, 3.2-liter Pentastar V-6 engine with standard engine stop/start (ESS) fuel-saving technology, producing 271 horsepower and 239 lb.-ft. of torque
  • Technology Group includes advanced Brake Assist, auto high beam headlamp control, LaneSense Departure Warning Plus with Lane Keep Assist, Forward Collision Warning-Plus with crash mitigation, Parallel and Perpendicular Park Assist, adaptive cruise control with stop and go, ParkSense front and rear park assist with rear stop, rain sensitive windshield wipers, wireless charging pad, remote CD player, engine block heater and sunroof.

Jeep Cherokee
The 2016 Jeep Cherokee completely redefines the mid-size SUV segment, delivering legendary Jeep 4x4 capability, superior on-road ride and handling, world-class craftsmanship, clever functionality and versatility, more than 70 available safety and security features and advanced user-friendly technology. The Jeep Cherokee stands out against competitors with unmatched off-road capability while not sacrificing on-road ride and handling, comfort or segment-leading features.

View full article

Overland fixes my only real issue with the Cherokee.  I don't like the look of the cladding.  If I were to buy one in any other trim, it could only be in black so the cladding doesn't stand out. 

For comparison:

2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Is the "Overland" packageing kind of like a "platinum/Titanium", "high country" or "Limited" but for Jeeps? 

Kind of... on the Grand Cherokee though there are additional off-road capabilities added.  On this one, it gets a tiny (and I mean really tiny) increase in ride height. 

Is the "Overland" packageing kind of like a "platinum/Titanium", "high country" or "Limited" but for Jeeps?

Kind of... on the Grand Cherokee though there are additional off-road capabilities added.  On this one, it gets a tiny (and I mean really tiny) increase in ride height.

So it's not quite a luxury package then?

Well, that's kind of where the Overland Summit fits on the GC...luxury and off road capabilities.

On the Grand Cherokee it is.  On this, well... that's less clear.  I would imagine when the new Jeep 3-row crossover comes it will have a lux package on it and be called Overland. 

Overland fixes my only real issue with the Cherokee.  I don't like the look of the cladding.  If I were to buy one in any other trim, it could only be in black so the cladding doesn't stand out. 

For comparison:

I see the point you are making, did not realize that the black plastic molding was only available in black. So this does make it look nice in being color matched. Though I will say that I am impressed with the Skyhawk with the black molding and black hood patch. It looks good otherwise you are right would need to be black.

Reminds me of the Honda Element and how long they sold it with black molded sections only before they finally listened to customers and started to offer it all in single monochromatic color.

Kinda makes one think they went cheap on the initial release of color. It is really that much of a cost to have all monochromatic?

On the Grand Cherokee it is.  On this, well... that's less clear.  I would imagine when the new Jeep 3-row crossover comes it will have a lux package on it and be called Overland. 

Hmmm.. Alright.. So it more-or-less just says it is the top trim, whatever that may be. Stupid Jeep. 

A couple things with the overland.  You DO appear to get the Trailhawnks ground clearance and the low range active-drive 2.  If I am not mistaken, only the Trailhawk had that and the Limited etc came with a considerably lower ride height and the option pf adding active-drive 1 which does not have the low range.  So basically you are getting the limited with near Trailhawk capabilities.  The GC Overlands do not really offer anything over the standard GC or off-roading.  The 1st OL which came out in 01 was basically all the LUX goodies, side accents (kind of rock rails, but stylized), though i did debut the 4.7 HO engine as standard (was optional on other trims such as the Limited and Freedom editions).  The Overland is pretty well what it has always been, a top tier lux model with all the goodies plus some.  It is a really good value with he content you get.  Thin GMC Denali or All-terrain, compared to the new GMC Acadia All-T4errian this is far more capable still, thouh different.  And don't jump me, I love the new All-Terrain Acadia, but my point is they are really more Lux trims with denali of course being top tier.  this is Jeeps Top Tier.

For comparison:

I see the point you are making, did not realize that the black plastic molding was only available in black. So this does make it look nice in being color matched. Though I will say that I am impressed with the Skyhawk with the black molding and black hood patch. It looks good otherwise you are right would need to be black.

Reminds me of the Honda Element and how long they sold it with black molded sections only before they finally listened to customers and started to offer it all in single monochromatic color.

Kinda makes one think they went cheap on the initial release of color. It is really that much of a cost to have all monochromatic?

Gray or black cladding has been a Jeep feature for decades. The Grand Cherokee Laredo had the gray cladding in the first two generations, as did the first generation Liberty.

A couple things with the overland.  You DO appear to get the Trailhawnks ground clearance and the low range active-drive 2.  If I am not mistaken, only the Trailhawk had that and the Limited etc came with a considerably lower ride height and the option pf adding active-drive 1 which does not have the low range.  So basically you are getting the limited with near Trailhawk capabilities.  The GC Overlands do not really offer anything over the standard GC or off-roading.  The 1st OL which came out in 01 was basically all the LUX goodies, side accents (kind of rock rails, but stylized), though i did debut the 4.7 HO engine as standard (was optional on other trims such as the Limited and Freedom editions).  The Overland is pretty well what it has always been, a top tier lux model with all the goodies plus some.  It is a really good value with he content you get.  Thin GMC Denali or All-terrain, compared to the new GMC Acadia All-T4errian this is far more capable still, thouh different.  And don't jump me, I love the new All-Terrain Acadia, but my point is they are really more Lux trims with denali of course being top tier.  this is Jeeps Top Tier.

Yet this is only 4x4, not AWD like the Skyhawk. So that is one difference or am I missing something else that is a major difference?

Yet this is only 4x4, not AWD like the Skyhawk. So that is one difference or am I missing something else that is a major difference?

Are you having a stroke? Sniffing too much CNG? LOL this is the second funny typo you've made.

Skyhawk is a Buick.  Trailhawk is a Jeep.

The Trailhawk is a 4x4 system is the same as the Limited's and Overland's with Active-Drive II, it just has a locking rear differential. 

Jeep outlines the differences of all of their 4x4 systems on a single page

Are you having a stroke? Sniffing too much CNG? LOL this is the second funny typo you've made.

The Trailhawk is a 4x4 system is the same as the Limited's and Overland's with Active-Drive II, it just has a locking rear differential. 

And a 56:1 low range crawl ratio the active drive 1 lacks.

There are 2 different systems.

Active drive 1 is basically a fancy AWG system.  It is optional on the lower trims.

Active drive 2 has the AWD capabilities plus a low range crawl ratio and limited slip diff.  It is optional on the Limited and standard on the Trailhawk and Overland.  This is a surprisingly capable system and is standard on the Renegade trailhawk, though here that is the only one it is on.

Too many different systems, I'm out! 

They lost me past 5-6. Sorry Jeep, You're apparently just too complex for me. 

Thanks drew for the info, I should have looked at the Jeep page, glad to see all the differences, but wow, the variety can confuse people. For some reason I thought the Trailhawk was an AWD system compared to the lower models having a more traditional 4x4 system. Love to learn even when I confuse my models. :P

CNG Rocking on! :)