Suaviloquent

Glorious victory: How the Camaro takes it to Bavaria's finest

Been saying it for a while.. BMW lost it. The fact that U have Chevys.. let alone Cadillacs now beating BMW in a genre it created also tells U exactly who BMW is targeting with this Bavarian Bull$h!... and it ain't the cool kids or the enthusiasts. I will also throw this on the M5 and M6. After driving both.. I came away feeling completely unsatisfied and as if nothing was special about either. 

I will say that the LF4 in the ATSV vs the LT1 in the Camaro is a matter of preference. I still believe that Cadillac should have anything above 450HP sporting an LT series engine.. anything under that HP number should have a tunable TT from 2.0L to 3.6L.. these being base to VSports. 

• Upvote 2

I watched this..last week..maybe,, and it was awesome. Go 'Merica!  :unitedstates:

I don't really remember it all of the top of my head but I recall a massive discrepancy in value INCLUDING the interiors and standard features that the BMW just lacks. 

For $81,000 the M4 is no longer competitive. And before the V8 they used before had a unique sound.

Now we're finding that the V8s are becoming more rare.

WOW, Very interesting comparison.

M4

425HP / 406 lb-ft

6sp manual

110.7 Wheelbase

3512lbs

Cost $81,045

Camaro

455hp / 455 lb-ft

6sp manual

110.7 Wheelbase

3696lbs

Cost $46,095

WOW, not purfect but the Camaro clearly cleans up.

WOW, Listen to them just rip apart the nickel and dime BS of BMW that comes standard on the Camaro! BMW has finally really failed!

Love the Knock about Overhead dual cams. As many of us have stated, the small block V8 still rules over turbo!

Hats off to Chevy, Camaro is a superior sports car.

Gotta love their quotes.

• Upvote 2

BMW is between a rock and a hard place. 

With new regulations it has limited their ability to do many things anymore and have had to go conservative. 

Now GM also has shown how they can really do a car right and refined with the proper funding for once. The days of just slapping stiffer springs, larger bars and bigger tires are over. This has put the BMW like performance in cars much cheaper than their own. 

Now few will cross shop these cars but it will spur interest in some and a really cool David and Goliath story. 

GM and the Camaro will carve out their own place in the market. The first thing they need to do is try to stop the Pony car label from being applied as they are truly a world class GT car that is still affordable. 

The problem with BMW is they took a V8 and went down to a straight six with the same power, and jacked up the price.  It is a 335i with more boost for another $25,000.      The fact that so much equipment is still optional is crazy, considering the high cost.  I don't know if BMW was just going for more luxury and lost steering feel and handling along the way, but if they are going to luxury, why are their interiors so much worse than Mercedes.   BMW should have kept the 4.0 V8 and put turbos on that, but they messed that one up.

As much as I want to celebrate and dance with glee....

(OK...let me show some level of joyous enthusiasm)

giphy.gif

But....unfortunately...butterface.

18ff361420f3e3fb9a6670f9de567760529a93fb

Well...Ill admit...Id take the Camaro out for a spin...umm....maybe not!!!! :yuck:

EpicButterface.png

Edited by oldshurst442

The problem with BMW is they took a V8 and went down to a straight six with the same power, and jacked up the price.  It is a 335i with more boost for another $25,000.      The fact that so much equipment is still optional is crazy, considering the high cost.  I don't know if BMW was just going for more luxury and lost steering feel and handling along the way, but if they are going to luxury, why are their interiors so much worse than Mercedes.   BMW should have kept the 4.0 V8 and put turbos on that, but they messed that one up.

Much of the engine play is because of the emissions laws in various markets. Some also due to engine size taxes too. 

As for Chassis tuning it was just a choice as so many BMW owners are getting older maybe they expect a smoother ride? That one you can choose. 

As for interior the Germans really have never set the world on fires unless you like all dark leather. They are to blame for many of the dull interiors the other MFG have copied.

Only thing I would say RE the Camaro is it could be an inch to 1.5-in lower.

I'm a big block guy, but man! that SB sounds awesome!

Yeah, the SBC does sound awesome.

And Im being too harsh on the Camaro's looks myself.

It really is an attractive car on the Alpha Platform.

It does look better than the BMW M4.

Ive grown more tired of the BMW M4 faster than I have with the Camaro's looks.

Maaaan I noticed that too! I actually took a couple of screen shots when they were doing the donuts and it looked like that front end was a foot off the ground. I'll try and post it Monday when I can add pictures(can't from my phone)

Much of the engine play is because of the emissions laws in various markets. Some also due to engine size taxes too. 

As for Chassis tuning it was just a choice as so many BMW owners are getting older maybe they expect a smoother ride? That one you can choose. 

As for interior the Germans really have never set the world on fires unless you like all dark leather. They are to blame for many of the dull interiors the other MFG have copied.

Audi has made good interiors for years, Mercedes currently does also.  And Mercedes put a V8 in the C-class, they have to follow the same rules as BMW.   BMW gave up on what made the 90s and early 2000s M3 and M5 so good.  They better find their secret sauce again.  Luckily for them, they have a loyal following.

Audi has made good interiors for years, Mercedes currently does also.  And Mercedes put a V8 in the C-class, they have to follow the same rules as BMW.   BMW gave up on what made the 90s and early 2000s M3 and M5 so good.  They better find their secret sauce again.  Luckily for them, they have a loyal following.

The Germans on a whole make dark, drab looking uninspired interiors as a whole. Even in the top quality models they are dull. 

In the more base models they are down right cheap. I have two examples of 944 Seats in my garage now that show how cheesy they can be. 

As for Benz did they put a BMW V8 in their car and is that same car the same one BMW sends to other markets where Benz may offer different engines. Dude you really need to look at all the details not just the superficial ones. 

It is not so much a loyal following but the fact their image still sells. People like to say I own a Beemer and their friends are too stupid to know that really does not hold as much meaning anymore. 

Note too When I say crap interiors I do not question the Benz quality but I do question the look and styling. Hence the dull, drab and dark. The lighter colors are rare. Note I hate most Chevy interiors for the same thing. 

BMW styling is beyond tired. Same thing, minority tweaked, over & over & over & over again. Bo Ring.

It is tired but the last time they tired to fix it we got the Bangle look with the big butt and  Dame Edna front. It made it where they were better off with tired styling. 

I think BMW is to a point time has moved on and they can not find that formula to move forward. They are afraid to do too much different but yet the conservative moves are leaving them behind. That is why cars like a Camaro are as much fun to drive now. If they can find the image thing BMW is in real trouble. 

BMW styling is beyond tired. Same thing, minority tweaked, over & over & over & over again. Bo Ring.

Same old thing, like the Camaro, Corvette and Mustang.  Yet those are considered America's best.

• Upvote 1

Yes, these are so dark, drab and monotone.  Any car with black on black interior is monotone, so don't pick all black, they offer other colors.

2012_audi_a6_16.jpg

001-2017-mercedes-e-class-interior-1.jpg

audi-a8-2014-interior-wallpaper-3.jpg

7seriessedan.overview.interior.jpg

This one is really dark...

2016-bmw-7-series-interior-images-1900x1

• Upvote 1

Same old thing, like the Camaro, Corvette and Mustang.  Yet those are considered America's best.

Could you have made a more ignorant post?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, these are so dark, drab and monotone.  Any car with black on black interior is monotone, so don't pick all black, they offer other colors.

2012_audi_a6_16.jpg

001-2017-mercedes-e-class-interior-1.jpg

audi-a8-2014-interior-wallpaper-3.jpg

7seriessedan.overview.interior.jpg

This one is really dark...

2016-bmw-7-series-interior-images-1900x1

And, once again, you are not paying attention. He mentioned that they offered the lighter colors but the majority out there are of the black and drab variety. He never said, not once, that they ONLY offered the dark and drab. Go ahead and deny that if you want, but me personally, I have rarely seen any of those colors you have shown here out in the wild. Clearly, most MB buyers (and BMW buyers as well), prefer dark and drab looking. 

Well that is like saying most cars are silver and beige, and it is boring.   If a company offers 10 colors and 50% of the consumers pick gray/silver, then it isn't the companies fault that more people don't buy red or yellow.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All I know is that I spent some time noodling around in the Cadilac CT6 this evening and the materials, styling, and sound system (especially the sound system) were pretty epic. Also, reclining back seats are cool.

• Upvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 72 Guests (See full list)

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      BMW is making the M5 just a slightly bit more aggressive with the debut of the M5 Competition. Following in the footsteps of the M2 Competition, the M5 version tweaks the powertrain, chassis, and exterior.
      Beginning under the hood, the twin-turbo 4.4L V8 sees a slight boost in horsepower from 600 to 617. Torque remains at 553 pound-feet, although BMW has broadened the peak torque range. 0-60 mph sees a slight improvement of 0.3 seconds - 3.1 vs. 3.4.
      For the chassis, BMW has added stiffer engine mounts, M-specific Variable Damper Control system, revised mounting points for the front anti-roll bar, lowered ride height, and a stiffer rear anti-roll bar.
      To have the Competition stand out from other M5s, BMW has blacked out a number trim pieces, along with the door handles and fender vents. A set of forged 20-inch alloy wheels are standard.
      Pricing for the M5 Competition begins at $110,995, which includes a $995 destination charge. That's about $7,000 more than the standard M5. Production begins in July.
      Source: BMW

The All-New 2019 BMW M5 Competition Sedan.
      Model specific tuned suspension and engine mounts. TwinPower Turbo engine offers 617 hp and 553 lb-ft of torque. 189 mph top speed with optional M Driver’s Package. New standalone Competition model segment within the M brand. MSRP of $110,995 including destination. Production beginning July 2018. Woodcliff Lake, NJ – May 8, 2018 …Today, BMW M GmbH unveiled the most powerful BMW M5 sedan ever. The new 2019 BMW M5 Competition Sedan raises the bar for performance, agility and precision within its class. With engine output increased to 617 hp, sharper responses and enhanced chassis tuning, the M5 Competition Sedan delivers a driving experience with motorsport undertones. The new 2019 BMW M5 Competition Sedan succeeds in blending performance, a superbly exclusive aura and an unruffled ease in everyday use.
      A history of success: Competition, the ultimate in M performance.
      The launch of the new 2019 BMW M5 Competition Sedan, along with the recently announced M2 Competition Coupe, marks the creation of a new product category within BMW M GmbH’s line-up, with the most powerful variants of its high-performance cars to be available in the future as standalone Competition models. This restructuring of the M portfolio has been prompted by the strong popularity of the various model-specific M Competition packages. M Competition packages were first offered for the predecessor to the current BMW M5 and are currently available for the BMW M4 Coupe, BMW M4 Convertible and BMW M3 Sedan. Some 40 percent of all previous-generation BMW M5 models sold worldwide were equipped with the M Competition package. The line-up’s crowning glory came in the form of the BMW M5 Competition Edition, which was capped at just 200 units and boasted a power output of 600 hp along with an ultra-exclusive standard specification.
      Exclusive design features.
      Light-alloy wheels specially developed for the new 2019 BMW M5 Competition Sedan play a part in its exceptional performance capabilities and add to the model’s exclusive looks. Other distinctive design features of the Competition include high-gloss black finishers on the door handles, mirror bases and mirror triangles, plus the exterior mirror caps and the mesh of the signature M gills in the front flanks. High-gloss Shadow Line trim is featured on the door window surrounds and B-pillar trim.
      The kidney grille’s surrounds feature high-gloss black accenting as does the detailing for the rear bumper cover. This forms a color-coordinated composition with the tailpipes in black chrome. Both the rear spoiler and “M5” boot lid logo – which gains “Competition” lettering – are also finished in high-gloss black.
      Moving inside the new 2019 BMW M5 Competition, black seat belts with a striped pattern in BMW M GmbH colors and floor mats with model-specific piping plus an “M5” logo provide the finishing touches. A distinctive “M Competition” graphic appears in the instrument cluster to greet the driver as vehicle is starting up.
      Engine: more power and performance.
      The emotion-packed driving experience that defines the new BMW M5 Competition stems from the unique performance characteristics of its engine. The high-revving power unit with M TwinPower Turbo technology developed for the standard BMW M5 has undergone meticulous retuning to optimise torque and power delivery.
      The 4.4-liter V8 now generates 617 hp at 6,000 rpm. Peak torque stands at 553 lb-ft. between 1,800 and 5,860 rpm (a 160-rpm wider band than in the standard version of the new BMW M5). This means the linear power delivery for which M models have become synonymous for is sustained for even longer – into a rev band where the engine’s maximum output comes into play. The modified power delivery results in a faster 0 to 60 mph acceleration time of just 3.1 seconds, while the 124 mph mark is reached from a standing start in 10.8 seconds – 0.3 seconds quicker than in the standard version of the new BMW M5.
      M Sport exhaust system develops an unmistakable sound.
      The BMW M5’s 4.4L V8 engine’s technological wizardry includes a cross-bank exhaust manifold. Here, precisely directed exhaust gas flows ensure exceptionally quick turbocharger response along with an optimized gas-exchange cycle.
      The new 2019 BMW M5 Competition comes with a model-specific M Sport exhaust system. This version of the flap-controlled, twin-pipe exhaust system produces an extremely distinctive sound with a sportier tone – especially when the engine is pushed hard and at high revs. The various engine modes, which can be selected at the push of a button, include changes to the sound emitted by the exhaust system. The acoustic profile activated by Sport Plus mode, for example, is even more purposeful in nature. The driver can vary the engine’s aural character using the M Sound Control button, enabling a quick switch to a far more understated sound. The M Sport exhaust system makes a great visual impression too, thanks to the black chrome embellishers of the tailpipe pairs nestled neatly into the left and right of the rear apron.
      Specially designed engine mounts optimize responsiveness and cornering characteristics.
      The new 2019 BMW M5 Competition features model-specific engine mounts, which have a noticeable impact on its performance abilities. The engine mounts have modified characteristics and feature an increased spring rate – from the 3,312 lbs/in. of the standard-spec new BMW M5 to 5,139 lbs/in. The drive unit’s firmer connection to the vehicle’s structure results in a more direct engine response resulting in a more immediate transfer of power to the drivetrain. The car turns into corners with noticeably greater directness and precision due to the mountings’ stiffer characteristics.
      Power transfer via eight-speed M Steptronic transmission and M xDrive.
      The task of transferring the new 2019 BMW M5 Competition’s engine power to the wheels is handled by the eight-speed M Steptronic transmission, whose design and functionality have been carefully designed for extreme performance. Incredibly short shift times and swift, precise responses to every nudge of the accelerator ensure that the engine’s capabilities are instantly translated into action. Three different modes offering a choice of efficient, sporty or ultra-high performance driving can be activated using the Drivelogic rocker switch on the gear selector. Manual gear selections are possible with either the selector lever or the shift paddles on the steering wheel. A specially designed transmission oil cooler keeps the transmission operating within the desired temperature range, even when the car is being pushed to the limit on the track.
      The M xDrive system, which made its debut in the standard version of the new 2019 BMW M5, already has all the required tools to deliver scintillating performance. The intelligent all-wheel-drive technology is capable of effortlessly directing the BMW M5 Competition’s greater power to the road in and generating just enough extra traction to achieve acceleration times worthy of a super-sports car. The centrally controlled interaction between M xDrive and the Active M Differential is largely responsible for channelling the engine’s remarkable output to the car’s wheels without any loss of power en route. The engine’s torque is distributed between the front and rear wheels by the transfer case’s fully variable, electronically controlled multi-plate clutch, before the Active M Differential splits it again as needed between the two rear wheels.
      The rear-wheel bias of the M xDrive system contributes to the tremendous agility of the high-performance sedan. The system makes it possible to program in an individual power distribution configuration, and the driver is able to influence both the way the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) works and how drive torque is distributed between the front and rear axles – all at the press of a button. As an alternative to the basic setting, the new BMW M5 and M5 Competition both offer a choice of M Dynamic mode offering greater slip angles and particularly fun handling, as well as three additional modes with DSC deactivated that are geared towards track driving. Besides the 4WD and 4WD Sport modes, there is the option of pure rear-wheel drive (2WD), which allows experienced and skilled drivers to revel in the experience offered by past generations of the BMW M5 – i.e. handling in its purest form, with no control system intervention.
      Model Specific chassis tuning for the ultimate precision and performance.
      Like every BMW M car, the new 2019 BMW M5 Competition is equipped with chassis technology matched to the performance characteristics of its engine. The modifications ensure precisely controllable handling at all times, even in extremely dynamic driving situations. This is down to the M-specific kinematic and elastokinematic properties of the high-performance sedan’s double-wishbone front suspension and five-link rear suspension. They result in neutral steering behaviour and a linear build-up of lateral force up to the car’s dynamic limits. An M-specific version of the Variable Damper Control system is fitted, the Comfort, Sport and Sport Plus modes selectable at the press of a button activating different damper settings. The electromechanical M Servotronic steering conveys a sense of supreme accuracy on turn-in, while delivering clear feedback to the driver.
      The 2019 M5 Competition ride height has been lowered by seven millimetres compared to the M5 Sedan, with additional, model-specific chassis tuning, featuring tweaks to the springs and dampers. Increased negative camber at the front axle enhances the car’s ability to absorb lateral forces through high-speed corners. Fitting the toe links with ball joints instead of rubber mounts has resulted in more precise wheel guidance at the rear axle. The spring rate of the rear anti-roll bar is firmer, causing the body roll that occurs through high-speed corners to be distributed with a pronounced rear bias.
      The front axle of the new 2019 BMW M5 Competition is equipped with a redesigned mounting for the anti-roll bar. Making the springs at the front and rear axles ten per cent stiffer than the standard version of the new BMW M5 produces a firmer ride and has a positive impact on steering response. Shorter auxiliary springs reduce fluctuation in wheel loads, as does the unique tuning for the damper hydraulics. The athletic character of the new 2019 BMW M5 Competition really comes out with the three modes selectable at the touch of a button. This means the direct connection of chassis to driveline can also be clearly felt in Comfort mode. Selecting Sport mode activates the damper settings perfected for harsher tarmac and curbing of a track like Nürburgring’s Nordschleife circuit. Sport Plus lends itself to the smoother pavement and curbing of grand prix circuits.
      The ultimate in braking and grip.
      The outstanding stopping power of the new 2019 BMW M5 Competition is provided by low-weight M compound brakes, featuring six-piston fixed callipers and perforated, inner-vented brake discs at the front wheels and single-piston floating callipers with integrated parking brake at the rear. The optional M carbon-ceramic brakes, distinguished by their even lower weight, offer greater extreme thermal stability and excellent resistance to wear.
      Standard specification for the new 2019 BMW M5 Competition includes exclusive M light-alloy wheels sporting a Y-spoke design in a bi-colour finish. The 20-inch forged wheels are shod with tires measuring 275/35 R 20 at the front and 285/35 R 20 at the rear.

Specifications
      2019 BMW M5 Competition Sedan
      Seats -- 5 Number of Doors -- 4 Drive type -- AWD Length inches 195.5 Width inches 74.9 Height inches 57.8 Width including mirrors inches 83.7 Wheelbase inches 117.4 Ground clearance inches 5 Turning radius ft 20.7 Shoulder width front inches 58.7 Shoulder room rear inches 55.9 Legroom front inches 41.4 Legroom rear inches 36.5 Headroom front inches 40.7 Headroom rear inches 38.5 Trunk volume (SAE) ft³ 18.7 Fuel Tank capacity gallons 20.1 Curb weight lbs 4,370 Weight distribution Front / Rear % 54.7 / 45.3 Gross vehicle weight lbs 5,380 Payload lbs 925 Engine type -- S63 Cylinders -- 8 Valves per cylinder -- 4 Stroke mm 88.3 Bore mm 89 Displacement cm³ 4,395 Compression rate :1 10 Engine power hp 617 at rpm 1/min 6,000 Engine torque ft lbs 553 at rpm 1/min 1,800-5,860 Fuel type -- gasoline Recommended Fuel -- AKI 93 Engine oil capacity quarts 10.6 Output per liter hp/liter 140.4 Transmission type -- M8HP75 Transmission type -- automatic transmission Gear ratios 1st gear -- 5 2nd -- 3.2 3rd -- 2.14 4th -- 1.72 5th -- 1.31 6th -- 1 7th -- 0.82 8th -- 0.64 Reverse gear -- -3.48 Final drive ratio -- 3.15 Power-steering type -- EPS Steering ratio :1 14.3 Front tires -- 275/35 ZR20 102Y XL Front wheels inches 9.5J x 20 Rear tires -- 285/35 ZR20 104Y XL Rear wheels inches 10.5J x 20 Track front inches 64 Rear track inches 62.8 Cx -- 0.31 0-60 mph seconds 3.1 Top speed mph 155 Top speed with M Drivers Package mph 189
      View full article
    • By William Maley
      BMW is making the M5 just a slightly bit more aggressive with the debut of the M5 Competition. Following in the footsteps of the M2 Competition, the M5 version tweaks the powertrain, chassis, and exterior.
      Beginning under the hood, the twin-turbo 4.4L V8 sees a slight boost in horsepower from 600 to 617. Torque remains at 553 pound-feet, although BMW has broadened the peak torque range. 0-60 mph sees a slight improvement of 0.3 seconds - 3.1 vs. 3.4.
      For the chassis, BMW has added stiffer engine mounts, M-specific Variable Damper Control system, revised mounting points for the front anti-roll bar, lowered ride height, and a stiffer rear anti-roll bar.
      To have the Competition stand out from other M5s, BMW has blacked out a number trim pieces, along with the door handles and fender vents. A set of forged 20-inch alloy wheels are standard.
      Pricing for the M5 Competition begins at $110,995, which includes a $995 destination charge. That's about $7,000 more than the standard M5. Production begins in July.

The All-New 2019 BMW M5 Competition Sedan.
      Model specific tuned suspension and engine mounts. TwinPower Turbo engine offers 617 hp and 553 lb-ft of torque. 189 mph top speed with optional M Driver’s Package. New standalone Competition model segment within the M brand. MSRP of $110,995 including destination. Production beginning July 2018. Woodcliff Lake, NJ – May 8, 2018 …Today, BMW M GmbH unveiled the most powerful BMW M5 sedan ever. The new 2019 BMW M5 Competition Sedan raises the bar for performance, agility and precision within its class. With engine output increased to 617 hp, sharper responses and enhanced chassis tuning, the M5 Competition Sedan delivers a driving experience with motorsport undertones. The new 2019 BMW M5 Competition Sedan succeeds in blending performance, a superbly exclusive aura and an unruffled ease in everyday use.
      A history of success: Competition, the ultimate in M performance.
      The launch of the new 2019 BMW M5 Competition Sedan, along with the recently announced M2 Competition Coupe, marks the creation of a new product category within BMW M GmbH’s line-up, with the most powerful variants of its high-performance cars to be available in the future as standalone Competition models. This restructuring of the M portfolio has been prompted by the strong popularity of the various model-specific M Competition packages. M Competition packages were first offered for the predecessor to the current BMW M5 and are currently available for the BMW M4 Coupe, BMW M4 Convertible and BMW M3 Sedan. Some 40 percent of all previous-generation BMW M5 models sold worldwide were equipped with the M Competition package. The line-up’s crowning glory came in the form of the BMW M5 Competition Edition, which was capped at just 200 units and boasted a power output of 600 hp along with an ultra-exclusive standard specification.
      Exclusive design features.
      Light-alloy wheels specially developed for the new 2019 BMW M5 Competition Sedan play a part in its exceptional performance capabilities and add to the model’s exclusive looks. Other distinctive design features of the Competition include high-gloss black finishers on the door handles, mirror bases and mirror triangles, plus the exterior mirror caps and the mesh of the signature M gills in the front flanks. High-gloss Shadow Line trim is featured on the door window surrounds and B-pillar trim.
      The kidney grille’s surrounds feature high-gloss black accenting as does the detailing for the rear bumper cover. This forms a color-coordinated composition with the tailpipes in black chrome. Both the rear spoiler and “M5” boot lid logo – which gains “Competition” lettering – are also finished in high-gloss black.
      Moving inside the new 2019 BMW M5 Competition, black seat belts with a striped pattern in BMW M GmbH colors and floor mats with model-specific piping plus an “M5” logo provide the finishing touches. A distinctive “M Competition” graphic appears in the instrument cluster to greet the driver as vehicle is starting up.
      Engine: more power and performance.
      The emotion-packed driving experience that defines the new BMW M5 Competition stems from the unique performance characteristics of its engine. The high-revving power unit with M TwinPower Turbo technology developed for the standard BMW M5 has undergone meticulous retuning to optimise torque and power delivery.
      The 4.4-liter V8 now generates 617 hp at 6,000 rpm. Peak torque stands at 553 lb-ft. between 1,800 and 5,860 rpm (a 160-rpm wider band than in the standard version of the new BMW M5). This means the linear power delivery for which M models have become synonymous for is sustained for even longer – into a rev band where the engine’s maximum output comes into play. The modified power delivery results in a faster 0 to 60 mph acceleration time of just 3.1 seconds, while the 124 mph mark is reached from a standing start in 10.8 seconds – 0.3 seconds quicker than in the standard version of the new BMW M5.
      M Sport exhaust system develops an unmistakable sound.
      The BMW M5’s 4.4L V8 engine’s technological wizardry includes a cross-bank exhaust manifold. Here, precisely directed exhaust gas flows ensure exceptionally quick turbocharger response along with an optimized gas-exchange cycle.
      The new 2019 BMW M5 Competition comes with a model-specific M Sport exhaust system. This version of the flap-controlled, twin-pipe exhaust system produces an extremely distinctive sound with a sportier tone – especially when the engine is pushed hard and at high revs. The various engine modes, which can be selected at the push of a button, include changes to the sound emitted by the exhaust system. The acoustic profile activated by Sport Plus mode, for example, is even more purposeful in nature. The driver can vary the engine’s aural character using the M Sound Control button, enabling a quick switch to a far more understated sound. The M Sport exhaust system makes a great visual impression too, thanks to the black chrome embellishers of the tailpipe pairs nestled neatly into the left and right of the rear apron.
      Specially designed engine mounts optimize responsiveness and cornering characteristics.
      The new 2019 BMW M5 Competition features model-specific engine mounts, which have a noticeable impact on its performance abilities. The engine mounts have modified characteristics and feature an increased spring rate – from the 3,312 lbs/in. of the standard-spec new BMW M5 to 5,139 lbs/in. The drive unit’s firmer connection to the vehicle’s structure results in a more direct engine response resulting in a more immediate transfer of power to the drivetrain. The car turns into corners with noticeably greater directness and precision due to the mountings’ stiffer characteristics.
      Power transfer via eight-speed M Steptronic transmission and M xDrive.
      The task of transferring the new 2019 BMW M5 Competition’s engine power to the wheels is handled by the eight-speed M Steptronic transmission, whose design and functionality have been carefully designed for extreme performance. Incredibly short shift times and swift, precise responses to every nudge of the accelerator ensure that the engine’s capabilities are instantly translated into action. Three different modes offering a choice of efficient, sporty or ultra-high performance driving can be activated using the Drivelogic rocker switch on the gear selector. Manual gear selections are possible with either the selector lever or the shift paddles on the steering wheel. A specially designed transmission oil cooler keeps the transmission operating within the desired temperature range, even when the car is being pushed to the limit on the track.
      The M xDrive system, which made its debut in the standard version of the new 2019 BMW M5, already has all the required tools to deliver scintillating performance. The intelligent all-wheel-drive technology is capable of effortlessly directing the BMW M5 Competition’s greater power to the road in and generating just enough extra traction to achieve acceleration times worthy of a super-sports car. The centrally controlled interaction between M xDrive and the Active M Differential is largely responsible for channelling the engine’s remarkable output to the car’s wheels without any loss of power en route. The engine’s torque is distributed between the front and rear wheels by the transfer case’s fully variable, electronically controlled multi-plate clutch, before the Active M Differential splits it again as needed between the two rear wheels.
      The rear-wheel bias of the M xDrive system contributes to the tremendous agility of the high-performance sedan. The system makes it possible to program in an individual power distribution configuration, and the driver is able to influence both the way the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) works and how drive torque is distributed between the front and rear axles – all at the press of a button. As an alternative to the basic setting, the new BMW M5 and M5 Competition both offer a choice of M Dynamic mode offering greater slip angles and particularly fun handling, as well as three additional modes with DSC deactivated that are geared towards track driving. Besides the 4WD and 4WD Sport modes, there is the option of pure rear-wheel drive (2WD), which allows experienced and skilled drivers to revel in the experience offered by past generations of the BMW M5 – i.e. handling in its purest form, with no control system intervention.
      Model Specific chassis tuning for the ultimate precision and performance.
      Like every BMW M car, the new 2019 BMW M5 Competition is equipped with chassis technology matched to the performance characteristics of its engine. The modifications ensure precisely controllable handling at all times, even in extremely dynamic driving situations. This is down to the M-specific kinematic and elastokinematic properties of the high-performance sedan’s double-wishbone front suspension and five-link rear suspension. They result in neutral steering behaviour and a linear build-up of lateral force up to the car’s dynamic limits. An M-specific version of the Variable Damper Control system is fitted, the Comfort, Sport and Sport Plus modes selectable at the press of a button activating different damper settings. The electromechanical M Servotronic steering conveys a sense of supreme accuracy on turn-in, while delivering clear feedback to the driver.
      The 2019 M5 Competition ride height has been lowered by seven millimetres compared to the M5 Sedan, with additional, model-specific chassis tuning, featuring tweaks to the springs and dampers. Increased negative camber at the front axle enhances the car’s ability to absorb lateral forces through high-speed corners. Fitting the toe links with ball joints instead of rubber mounts has resulted in more precise wheel guidance at the rear axle. The spring rate of the rear anti-roll bar is firmer, causing the body roll that occurs through high-speed corners to be distributed with a pronounced rear bias.
      The front axle of the new 2019 BMW M5 Competition is equipped with a redesigned mounting for the anti-roll bar. Making the springs at the front and rear axles ten per cent stiffer than the standard version of the new BMW M5 produces a firmer ride and has a positive impact on steering response. Shorter auxiliary springs reduce fluctuation in wheel loads, as does the unique tuning for the damper hydraulics. The athletic character of the new 2019 BMW M5 Competition really comes out with the three modes selectable at the touch of a button. This means the direct connection of chassis to driveline can also be clearly felt in Comfort mode. Selecting Sport mode activates the damper settings perfected for harsher tarmac and curbing of a track like Nürburgring’s Nordschleife circuit. Sport Plus lends itself to the smoother pavement and curbing of grand prix circuits.
      The ultimate in braking and grip.
      The outstanding stopping power of the new 2019 BMW M5 Competition is provided by low-weight M compound brakes, featuring six-piston fixed callipers and perforated, inner-vented brake discs at the front wheels and single-piston floating callipers with integrated parking brake at the rear. The optional M carbon-ceramic brakes, distinguished by their even lower weight, offer greater extreme thermal stability and excellent resistance to wear.
      Standard specification for the new 2019 BMW M5 Competition includes exclusive M light-alloy wheels sporting a Y-spoke design in a bi-colour finish. The 20-inch forged wheels are shod with tires measuring 275/35 R 20 at the front and 285/35 R 20 at the rear.

Specifications
      2019 BMW M5 Competition Sedan
      Seats -- 5 Number of Doors -- 4 Drive type -- AWD Length inches 195.5 Width inches 74.9 Height inches 57.8 Width including mirrors inches 83.7 Wheelbase inches 117.4 Ground clearance inches 5 Turning radius ft 20.7 Shoulder width front inches 58.7 Shoulder room rear inches 55.9 Legroom front inches 41.4 Legroom rear inches 36.5 Headroom front inches 40.7 Headroom rear inches 38.5 Trunk volume (SAE) ft³ 18.7 Fuel Tank capacity gallons 20.1 Curb weight lbs 4,370 Weight distribution Front / Rear % 54.7 / 45.3 Gross vehicle weight lbs 5,380 Payload lbs 925 Engine type -- S63 Cylinders -- 8 Valves per cylinder -- 4 Stroke mm 88.3 Bore mm 89 Displacement cm³ 4,395 Compression rate :1 10 Engine power hp 617 at rpm 1/min 6,000 Engine torque ft lbs 553 at rpm 1/min 1,800-5,860 Fuel type -- gasoline Recommended Fuel -- AKI 93 Engine oil capacity quarts 10.6 Output per liter hp/liter 140.4 Transmission type -- M8HP75 Transmission type -- automatic transmission Gear ratios 1st gear -- 5 2nd -- 3.2 3rd -- 2.14 4th -- 1.72 5th -- 1.31 6th -- 1 7th -- 0.82 8th -- 0.64 Reverse gear -- -3.48 Final drive ratio -- 3.15 Power-steering type -- EPS Steering ratio :1 14.3 Front tires -- 275/35 ZR20 102Y XL Front wheels inches 9.5J x 20 Rear tires -- 285/35 ZR20 104Y XL Rear wheels inches 10.5J x 20 Track front inches 64 Rear track inches 62.8 Cx -- 0.31 0-60 mph seconds 3.1 Top speed mph 155 Top speed with M Drivers Package mph 189
    • By William Maley
      BMW has been saying for some time that an electric crossover based on the X3 is coming. Today at Auto China, we got our first look at it as the Concept iX3.
      The iX3 has some subtitle design differences when compared to the standard X3. Up front is a new take on the iconic BMW kidney grille as they are joined together. Other details include special wheels to improve aerodynamics, blue accents, and a small door on the front fender for the charging port.
      Power comes from BMW's fifth-generation EV hardware which includes an electric motor producing 270 horsepower and a 70-kWh battery pack. BMW claims a range of 400 kilometers (about 249 miles) on the WLTP test cycle. The Concept iX3 can handle a charging rate of up to 150 kW, which will allow it to get an 80 percent charge in a half-hour.
      The production version of the iX3 is expected to launch in 2020 as part of BMW's plan to introduce 25 electrified vehicles by 2025. 12 of those models will be full EVs.

The BMW Concept iX3
      Electric mobility arrives at the core of BMW. BMW Concept iX3 with more than 200 kW/270 hp electric motor and a WLTP range of more than 400 kilometres (249 miles).
      The BMW Concept iX3 represents another milestone on the road to locally emission-free driving under the BMW Group’s electrification strategy. And so a Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV) once again blazes a trail for a new and groudbreaking form of BMW’s fabled driving pleasure. The current BMW X5 xDrive40e iPerformance (petrol consumption combined: 3.4 – 3.3 l/100 km [83.1 – 85.6 mpg imp]; electric power consumption combined: 15.4 – 15.3 kWh/100 km; CO2 emissions combined: 78 – 77 g/km) made its debut in 2015 as the BMW core brand’s first plug-in hybrid model. And the BMW ActiveHybrid X6 presented in 2009 was the world’s first Sports Activity Coupe with a full-hybrid drive system.
      The BMW Concept iX3 previews the fusion of the multi-faceted driving pleasure for which BMW X models are renowned and a locally emission-free drive system. The version of the fifth-generation electric motor developed for the SAV generates maximum output of over 200 kW/270 hp.  The likewise model-specific high-voltage battery has a net capacity of over 70 kWh, which is enough to give the electric SAV a range of more than 400 kilometres (249 miles) in the WLTP cycle.
      Another feature of the high-voltage battery developed for the fifth generation of eDrive technology is its optimised charging capability. The energy storage system has a newly developed Charging Control Unit and is designed to be hooked up to fast-charging stations generating up to 150 kW. The high-voltage battery can be charged in just 30 minutes from one of these stations.
      Electric mobility also means a differentiation in design. 
      In the front, the kidney and the brand emblem show the affiliation with the BMW i brand. The closed double kidney with the blue accentuation continues the BMW i Vision Dynamics brand already featured in the BMW i Vision Dynamics. The closed area within the kidney reduces air resistance, providing aerodynamic benefits.
      Identifying features of the BMW Concept iX3 include a closed-off BMW kidney grille with familiar BMW i car graphic, BMW i Blue accents around the kidney, around the brand logo at the front and along the side skirts, and a diffuser element in the same colour integrated in the rear apron. These styling cues provide a striking contrast against the Moonstone Silver matt exterior paint finish. The concept study is also fitted with light-alloy wheels in an aerodynamically optimised design. 
      Alongside the world premiere of the BMW Concept iX3 and the BMW i Vision Dynamics study also on display in Beijing, the BMW Group is also highlighting the spectrum of design differentiation between the BMW and BMW i brands. The styling of the BMW i Vision Dynamics is characterised by the pioneering design language developed exclusively for BMW i models. The signature looks of BMW i cars will also mark out future models from the brand. This study of a first all-electric model from BMW is clearly defined by the robust and sophisticated all-round character of an SAV, which remains unaffected by the presence of a locally emission-free drive system under the skin. 
      The electric drive will be visible through the design elements from the BMW i design language in the exterior design mentioned above.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      BMW has been saying for some time that an electric crossover based on the X3 is coming. Today at Auto China, we got our first look at it as the Concept iX3.
      The iX3 has some subtitle design differences when compared to the standard X3. Up front is a new take on the iconic BMW kidney grille as they are joined together. Other details include special wheels to improve aerodynamics, blue accents, and a small door on the front fender for the charging port.
      Power comes from BMW's fifth-generation EV hardware which includes an electric motor producing 270 horsepower and a 70-kWh battery pack. BMW claims a range of 400 kilometers (about 249 miles) on the WLTP test cycle. The Concept iX3 can handle a charging rate of up to 150 kW, which will allow it to get an 80 percent charge in a half-hour.
      The production version of the iX3 is expected to launch in 2020 as part of BMW's plan to introduce 25 electrified vehicles by 2025. 12 of those models will be full EVs.

The BMW Concept iX3
      Electric mobility arrives at the core of BMW. BMW Concept iX3 with more than 200 kW/270 hp electric motor and a WLTP range of more than 400 kilometres (249 miles).
      The BMW Concept iX3 represents another milestone on the road to locally emission-free driving under the BMW Group’s electrification strategy. And so a Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV) once again blazes a trail for a new and groudbreaking form of BMW’s fabled driving pleasure. The current BMW X5 xDrive40e iPerformance (petrol consumption combined: 3.4 – 3.3 l/100 km [83.1 – 85.6 mpg imp]; electric power consumption combined: 15.4 – 15.3 kWh/100 km; CO2 emissions combined: 78 – 77 g/km) made its debut in 2015 as the BMW core brand’s first plug-in hybrid model. And the BMW ActiveHybrid X6 presented in 2009 was the world’s first Sports Activity Coupe with a full-hybrid drive system.
      The BMW Concept iX3 previews the fusion of the multi-faceted driving pleasure for which BMW X models are renowned and a locally emission-free drive system. The version of the fifth-generation electric motor developed for the SAV generates maximum output of over 200 kW/270 hp.  The likewise model-specific high-voltage battery has a net capacity of over 70 kWh, which is enough to give the electric SAV a range of more than 400 kilometres (249 miles) in the WLTP cycle.
      Another feature of the high-voltage battery developed for the fifth generation of eDrive technology is its optimised charging capability. The energy storage system has a newly developed Charging Control Unit and is designed to be hooked up to fast-charging stations generating up to 150 kW. The high-voltage battery can be charged in just 30 minutes from one of these stations.
      Electric mobility also means a differentiation in design. 
      In the front, the kidney and the brand emblem show the affiliation with the BMW i brand. The closed double kidney with the blue accentuation continues the BMW i Vision Dynamics brand already featured in the BMW i Vision Dynamics. The closed area within the kidney reduces air resistance, providing aerodynamic benefits.
      Identifying features of the BMW Concept iX3 include a closed-off BMW kidney grille with familiar BMW i car graphic, BMW i Blue accents around the kidney, around the brand logo at the front and along the side skirts, and a diffuser element in the same colour integrated in the rear apron. These styling cues provide a striking contrast against the Moonstone Silver matt exterior paint finish. The concept study is also fitted with light-alloy wheels in an aerodynamically optimised design. 
      Alongside the world premiere of the BMW Concept iX3 and the BMW i Vision Dynamics study also on display in Beijing, the BMW Group is also highlighting the spectrum of design differentiation between the BMW and BMW i brands. The styling of the BMW i Vision Dynamics is characterised by the pioneering design language developed exclusively for BMW i models. The signature looks of BMW i cars will also mark out future models from the brand. This study of a first all-electric model from BMW is clearly defined by the robust and sophisticated all-round character of an SAV, which remains unaffected by the presence of a locally emission-free drive system under the skin. 
      The electric drive will be visible through the design elements from the BMW i design language in the exterior design mentioned above.
    • By William Maley
      BMW's M division thought the M2 wasn't hot enough, so they went to work and the end result is the 2019 M2 Competition. 
      It begins under the hood with the 3.0L twin-turbo inline-six where BMW has increased the output to 405 horsepower and 406 pound-feet - up 40 and 63 respectively. This launches the M2 Competition to 60 mph in 4 seconds with the seven-speed dual-clutch transmission or 4.2 seconds with the six-speed manual. Both times are a tenth of a second faster than the standard M2. Top speed is electronically limited to 155 mph, but can increase to 174 with the M Drivers package.
      The larger M3/M4 donate some parts to the Competition in the form of a racing-bred engine oil supply system, partially aluminum front and rear axles, and cooling system from the M4 Competition. A new exhaust system features two electronically controlled flaps to make yourself known or not.
      For handling, BMW has added a carbon-fiber reinforced plastic strut brace found on the M3/M4 to improve overall rigidity. The Active M Differential, steering, and stability control systems have been recalibrated to allow a bit more driver involvement. Larger brakes on all four wheels help slow down the M2 Competition.
      The M2 Competition stands out from the standard M2 with a larger kidney grille, blacked out trim, 19-inch wheels, and an M Competition badge. The interior comes with redesigned seats and the addition of M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel. The latter allows a driver to set a preset driving model and select them.
      Here's the most interesting bit: When the M2 Competition goes on sale this summer, it will take the place of the current M2 coupe. So if you want a standard M2, you might want to hurry to your BMW dealer.
      The First Ever 2019 BMW M2 Competition
      BMW M TwinPower Turbo engine offers 405 hp and 406 lb-ft of torque. Larger front and rear brake disks with 6-piston front and 4-piston rear calipers. New M Sport Seats with Illuminated M2 logo Top speed of 174mph with optional M Drivers Package Woodcliff Lake, NJ – April 17, 2018 …Today, the BMW Group shows off its latest pride – the BMW M2 Competition. The 2019 BMW M2 Competition replaces the BMW M2 Coupe while retaining the compact dimensions, characteristic BMW M proportions and the BMW M TwinPower Turbo inline 6-cylinder engine, rear wheel drive and a standard manual transmission with an optional M DCT transmission that have made the M2 beloved by many enthusiasts. The exciting new addition to the BMW M portfolio provides a distinctive M design complemented by improved dynamics and track capabilities with a 0-60 sprint time of 4.0 seconds. The BMW M2 Competition will be available in summer of 2018. With pricing to be announced closer to Market launch.
      New engine with 405 Horsepower.
      The heart of the new BMW M2 Competition is its new engine, based on the power unit from the BMW M3 and BMW M4. The inline 6-cylinder engine with M TwinPower Turbo technology delivers 405 hp between 5,230 and 7,000 rpm. The engine’s peak torque of 406 lb-ft is on tap between 2,350 rpm and 5,230 rpm. The power unit boasts an insatiable appetite for revs and offers exceptionally linear power delivery across a broad rpm range. A dual exhaust system with electronic flap control provides the distinctive M sound, while the M TwinPower Turbo technology delivers outstanding efficiency.
      The first ever BMW M2 Competition completes the sprint from standstill to 60 mph, in as little as 4.0 seconds (with DCT and 4.2 seconds with the manual transmission). The top speed is electronically limited to 155 mph. The car can be combined with the M Driver’s Package to raise the top speed to 174 mph. The carefully designed oil supply system for the engine is taken directly from motorsport, while the cooling system from the BMW M4 with Competition Package is used with some M2 specific adjustments. The BMW M2 Competition’s track-ready variants of the oil supply and cooling systems have been tested by BMW’s many years of motor racing experience. Enlarged BMW kidney grille openings and a new front skirt with increased air flow are exterior indicators to the use of this enhanced cooling system. The kidney grilles are finished in high-gloss Shadow Line black paint as are the side gills on the front fenders. A quartet of black chrome plated tailpipes finish off the twin exhaust system. A dark M Competition Badge graces the rear end of the car.
      BMW M engineers have adjusted the driving dynamics of the BMW M2 Competition to take the new model’s increased performance into account. The striking CFRP high-precision strut from the BMW M3/M4 is immediately recognizable in the engine compartment. This improves front section rigidity and increases steering precision. The electromechanical power steering, the Active M Differential and the Dynamic Steering Control (DSC) system have all been enhanced.
      Selector switches to adjust settings.
      The BMW M2 Competition is the first BMW M2 to be equipped with selector switches in the center console that allow instant control of settings for the engine, steering and Drivelogic functions, if M DCT is available. The various configurations can be combined in whichever way the driver prefers and can be stored for easy access using the M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel. The standard range of equipment now includes the red start/stop button, Active Driving Assistant and Park Distance Control (PDC).
      Exciting new features.
      The new, standard M Sport seats are a real highlight in terms of both form and function. The bucket-style shape borrows heavily from motorsport and provides drivers with optimized support, while the headrests are integrated into the seat back rest. The backrest also features an illuminated M2 logo. The black leather upholstery boasts design perforations in the seat and backrest, available in either blue or orange. Two new optional paint colors are available on the BMW M2 Competition: Hockenheim Silver, which replaces Mineral Grey Metallic and is exclusive to the M2 Competition and Sunset Orange Metallic.
      Rapid response behavior thanks to M TwinPower Turbo technology.
      BMW M TwinPower Turbo technology consists of two rapid-response MonoScroll turbochargers, High Precision Injection, VALVETRONIC variable valve control and Double-VANOS variable camshaft timing. The valve and camshaft timing work in tandem for maximum variability of the control intake valve lift. Razor-sharp responses and optimal power delivery are the result. Spray on LDS (Lichtbogendrahtspritzen) coated cylinder walls lead to a significant reduction in weight over traditional cylinder inserts. A lightweight forged crankshaft helps the engine to rev to a redline of 7,600 rpm.
      Motorsport Experience.
      Maintaining consistent levels of oil supply is particularly important on the track, thanks to the increased performance of the BMW M2 Competition. This is where the extensive motor racing experience at BMW M GmbH has the chance to shine. For example, an additional oil sump cover helps limit the movement of lubricants when the car quickly changes direction. Under extreme longitudinal acceleration and deceleration, an oil extraction pump and a sophisticated oil return system situated close to the turbochargers help to maintain uninterrupted oil circulation. Sufficient oil is therefore supplied continuously to all engine components in all driving situations – whether on the road or the track.
      The BMW M2 Competition features a range of measures designed to deal with the increased cooling requirements, compared with the previous model. An enlarged BMW kidney grill and a new front skirt with modified air flow improve the flow for the front of the car. The car also makes use of the track-tested cooling system of the BMW M4 with the Competition Package, consisting of one central radiator, two side radiators and an additional engine oil cooler. Cars making use of the optional seven-speed M Double Clutch Transmission (M DCT) also feature a transmission oil cooler.
      Dual exhaust system with two electrically-controlled flaps.
      The BMW M2 Competition’s S55 engine exhales through a completely new exhaust system. The dual-branch design features a new muffler and the four tailpipes, finished in black chrome, identify the car immediately as a BMW M model. Two electrically-controlled flaps ensure that the BMW M2 Competition delivers the distinctive BMW M Sound, which the driver can adjust by selecting a driving mode with M Dynamic Performance Control via the selector switch in the center console.
      Choice of two transmission variants.
      The new BMW M2 Competition comes standard with a six-speed manual gearbox, which is notable for its compact design and light weight. The use of a new type of carbon-fiber friction lining enhances the manual shift feel. The BMW M2 is equipped with rev matching technology which blips the throttle on downshifts and lowers the engine’s revs on upshifts, making gear changes even smoother. This lends the car additional stability during hard driving on the track.
      The seven-speed M Double Clutch Transmission (M DCT with Drivelogic) can be ordered as an option. This system effectively combines two gearboxes, each with its own clutch, and enables either extremely fast gear changes with no interruption in the flow of power or ultra-smooth shifts. The driver can change gears either in automated or manual mode by using the gearshift lever on the center console or shift paddles on the M leather steering wheel. In both automatic and manual modes, Drivelogic provides the driver with a choice between three preconfigured driving programs: COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT+. In automatic mode, the driver can then adjust the speed of the gearshift, its intensity, and the automatic throttle blipping function on downshifts.
      Increased front-end rigidity for greater steering precision.
      The engine compartment contains the most striking component: the CFRP high-precision strut brace from the BMW M3/M4. This one-piece brace made from extremely light, yet high-strength, carbon fiber weighs in at just 3.3 lbs. Together with the bulkhead strut from the M4, it significantly increases front section rigidity and improves steering behavior and precision.
      The high-performance chassis utilizes the lightweight aluminum intensive front and rear axles from the BMW M3/M4. In order to ensure extremely precise wheel location, tight tolerance ball joints are used to transmit transverse forces. The control arms and wheel carriers of the new five-link rear axle are made from forged aluminum. A racing-derived rigid connection, dispensing with rubber bushings, is used to fix the lightweight steel grid-type rear axle sub frame to the body. This improves wheel location and tracking stability.
      BMW M engineers have adjusted the operation of the electromechanical power steering to further improve performance and increase front end rigidity. The integrated Servotronic function with M-specific characteristics controls the level of steering assistance electronically according to the car’s speed and to the Drivelogic settings made by the driver, allowing power steering assistance to be adjusted based on personal preference.
      Active M Differential and recalibrated DSC.
      The Dynamic Stability Control has been completely recalibrated for the BMW M2 Competition. Electronics exercise even more delicate control, providing improved traction in wet and slippery conditions, and ensuring that traction is not interrupted during drifts. Support is provided by the Active M Differential, an electronically controlled multi-plate limited-slip differential that takes traction and directional stability to a new level of precision and speed. The locking effect can vary between 0 and 100 percent, according to the driving situation, and reacts to the car’s steering angle, accelerator position, brake pressure, engine torque, wheel speed and yaw rate. The control unit uses this analysis of the driving situation to detect the threat of traction loss on one side of the car and calculates the required locking effect, which is engaged by an electric motor. The full locking power of over 1,800 lb-ft is available within 150 milliseconds. This allows the system to prevent a wheel from spinning in extreme conditions on slippery road surfaces or when the two rear wheels are experiencing significant differences in friction coefficient.
      In certain situations, the Active M Differential even works proactively. When pulling away on slippery surfaces, the lock is closed by a defined percentage even before a wheel can start to spin, to ensure that both wheels develop equal slip at the same time. The lock is also closed by the required percentage through enthusiastically driven corners, according to the levels of lateral acceleration and drive at work. This prevents the low-traction inside wheel from starting to turn too quickly. This permanent and infinitely variable differential control also increases agility, avoids understeer on the way into corners and improves directional stability under braking and load changes.
      M Dynamic Mode (MDM) is a sub-function of Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) that can be activated automatically by either selecting SPORT+ mode, or engaging manually via the DSC button. In certain situations – e.g. track driving – it allows a greater degree of wheel spin. The DSC mode stabilizing measures now intervene later, increasing the freedom available to drivers at the limit. The extra wheel slip enhances traction and therefore forward propulsion. More significant oversteer and understeer situations are possible, as are moderate, controlled drifts, but the Dynamic Stability Control active safety aids can still be relied on in critical situations.
      M Sport brakes developed from motorsport experience.
      The new high-performance M Sport brakes provide maximum brake performance and are a product of the extensive motorsport experience at BMW M GmbH. Compared to the outgoing M2’s M compound brakes, with blue metallic brake calipers (front 4-piston fixed caliper and 380 mm diameter disks and rear 2-piston fixed caliper with 370 mm diameter disks) the new M Sport brakes found in the M2 Competition have larger brake disks (front: 400 mm in diameter, rear: 380 mm in diameter) as well as larger brake calipers(front: 6-piston fixed and rear: 4-piston fixed), painted in a grey finish. These high-performance brakes provide excellent deceleration in all conditions and impress with their resistance to fade and heat.
      New forged wheels with two color options.
      The new 19-inch forged wheels are available (front axle: 9J x 19, rear axle 10J x 19) with the Y-spoke design in a high-sheen finish, and in two color options: light high-sheen (bi-color), or with a black front surface. The front 245/35 R19 tires meet the most demanding requirements in terms of lateral stability, directional stability, steering feel and steering precision. The rear 265/35 R19 tires deliver optimal traction, and the required lateral and directional stability.
      Interior Equipment
      When opening the door of the new BMW M2 Competition, drivers are greeted by the M2 Competition logo on the sill plate. They can then settle into the ergonomically and visually stunning M Sport seat. The bucket-style shape of the seat borrows heavily from motorsport and provides drivers with optimum support, while the headrests are integrated into the seat back rest.
      An illuminated M2 logo nestles in the backrest of the M Sport seat. The seat and the backrest boast black leather upholstery with design perforations, available in blue or orange. These touches of color are also reflected in the leather stitching on seats and armrests, while Alcantara leather is used to cover the sides of the side bolsters. The classic BMW M stripes have been woven into the M safety belts and the M-specific stitching can also be found on the steering wheel.
      A glance at the dashboard reveals the welcome layout for the instruments, which displays the M2 Competition logo for a few seconds at startup. A red start / stop button underlines the motorsport heritage of the car.
      Selector switches on the center console.
      The first ever BMW M2 Competition provides drivers with two selector switches in the center console that allow direct access to adjust various vehicle characteristics and settings, a feature familiar from other BMW M models. The switches can be used to directly access various settings for stability control, for example the three engine characteristics, or the steering modes. Drivers can also use the selector switches to adapt the settings they want for various areas and combine these as they please. They also adjust Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) – a short dab activates MDM mode, while holding the switch down longer switches DSC off.
      M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel.
      The M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel also provide direct access to the range of driving modes. Drivers can save their own personal configurations chosen from the settings for stability control, engine characteristics and steering - control over the personality of the BMW M2 is at their fingertips. The M1 and M2 steering wheel buttons are preprogramed with a Comfort and a Sport program as standard and drivers can return to these settings at any time.
      New equipment details.
      The evolution of the BMW M2 Coupe into the new BMW M2 Competition has been accompanied by some upgrades to the standard features as well. The sporty coupe now boasts Active Driving Assistant and Park Distance Control (PDC) which monitors the car’s surroundings and keeps an eye on what is in front of the car, as well as to the rear.
      The extensive range of equipment provided as standard marks the BMW M2 Competition as one of the most dynamic sports cars around. This includes the lightweight M Sport chassis, the six-speed manual gearbox with throttle blipping function and the Active M Differential on the rear axle, guaranteeing optimum traction and unbeatable directional stability. Electromechanical M Servotronic power steering and the M Dynamic Mode (MDM) for Dynamic Stability Control are also available allowing aspiring racing drivers to easily enjoy controlled drifts on the circuit. M Sports seats, the M leather steering wheel, an M footrest and knee pad on the center console and trim strips with surfacing in open pore carbon fiber all adorn the interior.
      Customers can add additional individual touches to their car with a hand-picked range of options. The list of options includes highlights such as the seven-speed M Double Clutch Transmission (M DCT) with Drivelogic, allowing gear changes with no interruption in the flow of power, or the M Driver’s Package, which raises the limit on the top speed of the new BMW M2 Competition to 174 mph and comes with a BMW Driving Experience voucher for a track training course at the BMW Performance Center East or West.
      BMW Personal CoPilot enhances safety, comfort and entertainment.
      New BMW M2 Competition customers can make use of numerous driver assistance systems and mobility services through BMW Personal CoPilot. The range of optional driver assistance systems includes the standard Active Driving Assistant, which comprises features such as Collision Warning and Pedestrian Warning with City Braking function, and Lane Departure Warning. Speed Limit Info flashes up traffic signs and the permitted top speed. The rear-view camera teams up with standard rear Park Distance Control to assist drivers with reverse parking and maneuvering. The standard Navigation Professional offers an ultra-sharp map display and the iDrive Touch Controller ensures the various functions are even easier to use.

View full article
  • My Clubs