Frisky Dingo

What Would Buy Instead- Audi A8L Edition

68 posts in this topic

Frisky Dingo    611

C&D just wrapped up another instrumented test, this time on the A8L. The A8L 4.0T Sport, to be exact. As it mentions in the article, the A8 sits in an interesting spot in the marketplace. AWD only, but still much cheaper than some rivals, it nevertheless has compelling performance and luxury.

Here's the test for those interested- http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-audi-a8l-40t-sport-test-review

As always, you will have from 10% below base price to 10% over as-tested price to spend on a similar-ish new vehicle.

Base price- $91,425.

As-tested- $96,175.

Rules-

1)Must be a NEW, on-sale production vehicle.

2)Must be a similar vehicle- ie, a luxury sedan of some sort.

3)You must spend at least $82,285, but no more than $105,795.

ccap41    1,161

2016 E63 AMG S

I added the "night package", illuminated TriStar, and one other thing that I don't remember..I think heated rear seats.. Whatever it was it was just to bump up to the price limit.

This is what the "night package" is. It blacks out the front and side skirts and I think it looked great.

8A98449E-403B-4B05-8828-71A637E12902_zps

B631EDDA-09D7-4751-8B50-CC37E530EC78_zps

And my interior.. As always.. Black on black. 

BFCBB4C1-A5F6-4FFA-85AC-B3DD3EEC5C6F_zps

dfelt    1,773

Easy, 2016 CTS-V

post-12-0-80679100-1460148286_thumb.jpg

Frisky Dingo    611

Because the Cadillacs have nothing on the German cars' interiors at this price point. Nor do they have AWD. Nor are as good looking. Idk, there's a few just right off the bat.

That said, the CTS-V was another option I strongly considered, and would be totally happy with. The A8L itself was probably my 2nd pick, with the CTS-V or loaded S8 behind it.

oldshurst442    986

Well, anything in this price range....is Tesla territory for me. So....

As it happens, I am doing back to back Tesla choices...

BMW M6 Gran Coupe or M-B CLS 63 AMG are a tad above this price range...but the Model S hits the spot perfectly.

Base price of a Model S 90D is $88 000. Id option it out with all kinds of stuff to hit the $105 000 limit. This is without any tax credits. With tax credits its the P90D.

Brabus-Tesla-Model-S1-528x281.jpg

A white Model S....but since Im buying the $88 000   90D version..I think a black Brabus styled Model S seems just about right. I dont know how much more this costs...whatever. Darth Vader has traded in his 1987 Buick GNX for this one...

smk4565    321

All those little cars have no where near the interior room of an A8L. Or the interior quality. S550 is the obvious choice for this price, even if awd and Premium 1 package are all you can get on it for the price restriction.

oldshurst442    986

Touché about some of the selections not being in the same class of the Audi A8L.

That includes my selection of the Tesla Model S.

So...I always sometimes find ways to circumvent the rules to fit my agendas, I will comply to be exactly in the same category as the Audi A8L.

The ONLY LWB car in this price range Id want to own, and it is long in the tooth for 2016, is the Jaguar XJL supercharged. Starts at $95 000. I could option it out to $105 000 easily...

f380ed7bb94706b39e26df689c9.jpg

2016-Jaguar-XJ-EXT-610x286.jpg

Suaviloquent    713

Easy. Mine config'd is at $92k

Though I would immediately get rid of that horrendous grille and get the one from the premium luxury collection installed.

26075687091_eb5f3e84ee_b.jpg

Because the Cadillacs have nothing on the German cars' interiors at this price point. Nor do they have AWD. Nor are as good looking. Idk, there's a few just right off the bat.

That said, the CTS-V was another option I strongly considered, and would be totally happy with. The A8L itself was probably my 2nd pick, with the CTS-V or loaded S8 behind it.

Please. The CT6 Platinum interior triumphs the boring ass A8L.. it is AWD. Looks waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the tired VW look... It does have comparable HP especially when weight is levied in. f@#k Germany.. and f@#k German cars 

Suaviloquent    713

Please. The CT6 Platinum interior triumphs the boring ass A8L.. it is AWD. Looks waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the tired VW look... It does have comparable HP especially when weight is levied in. f@#k Germany.. and f@#k German cars 

What's funny is that the A8 and CT6 are actually much closer in weight than the comparison made against the S-Class - like about 250 lbs.

And the interior of the CT6 is not on the level of the Audi.

I picked the CT6 because I know exactly what's underneath the car. Discerning lessors in this segment - if they don't care about the exact details will find the Audi A8L interior far better furnished than the Cadillac. No question about it.

What's funny is that the A8 and CT6 are actually much closer in weight than the comparison made against the S-Class - like about 250 lbs.

And the interior of the CT6 is not on the level of the Audi.

I picked the CT6 because I know exactly what's underneath the car. Discerning lessors in this segment - if they don't care about the exact details will find the Audi A8L interior far better furnished than the Cadillac. No question about it.

Like I said.. its on par. Deal with it.. or Don't.. 

Frisky Dingo    611

The CTS-V isn't AWD. And nobody but you thinks the CT6 interior is as nice as an A8. Styling is subjective. You asked why anyone would buy a German car at this price, I answered you. 

The CTS-V isn't AWD. And nobody but you thinks the CT6 interior is as nice as an A8. Styling is subjective. You asked why anyone would buy a German car at this price, I answered you. 

U answered why U would buy a German car. Sorry bud.. unlike U I refuse to be a groupie for Stuttgart, Ingolstadt, and Munich .

The CT6 Platinum interior is as nice as the A8's.. It has every amenity, or damn near, that that POS German does.  Even the American hating CR praised its interior as on the same level as the Germans. 

smk4565    321

I am not an Audi guy, but the A8 interior is better than any American or Japanese car.

One thing not to forget about the A8 4.0, is that is has the same 0-60 time as a BMW M4 or Camaro SS. It is a fast car.

Frisky Dingo    611

U answered why U would buy a German car. Sorry bud.. unlike U I refuse to be a groupie for Stuttgart, Ingolstadt, and Munich .

The CT6 Platinum interior is as nice as the A8's.. It has every amenity, or damn near, that that POS German does.  Even the American hating CR praised its interior as on the same level as the Germans. 

You lose a lot of credibility when you call the A8 a POS. Just saying. You like the Cadillac. Good for you. We get it, it's not a surprise to anyone. There's no reason to thrash other cars over your preference, however. It makes you look childish.

I am not an Audi guy, but the A8 interior is better than any American or Japanese car.

One thing not to forget about the A8 4.0, is that is has the same 0-60 time as a BMW M4 or Camaro SS. It is a fast car.

U may not be an Audi guy but U are a Germany is better guy.. to the point that I am probably not wrong in say that U probably wanted Hitler to win WWII. 

Also.. how is the 0-60 time relevant in this conversation.. especially that of the M4 and Camaro versus an AWD vehicle?

Lastly.. and this is a dooooozy. Have U ever even been in a CT6??? I have yet to read that U have.. and altho I may be wrong.. if U had.. U would have most likely written a few expected negative paragraphs about already

You lose a lot of credibility when you call the A8 a POS. Just saying. You like the Cadillac. Good for you. We get it, it's not a surprise to anyone. There's no reason to thrash other cars over your preference, however. It makes you look childish.

Have known more than a few people who have owned Audi A8s.. A6s.. and A4s... I would love to get them to on this forum so they too could attest to how much of a POS it was to them.. Sorry .. great engineering also should include not breaking down every chance it gets in my world of spending $100 large on a vehicle.Just sayin. 

smk4565    321

U may not be an Audi guy but U are a Germany is better guy.. to the point that I am probably not wrong in say that U probably wanted Hitler to win WWII. 

Also.. how is the 0-60 time relevant in this conversation.. especially that of the M4 and Camaro versus an AWD vehicle?

Lastly.. and this is a dooooozy. Have U ever even been in a CT6??? I have yet to read that U have.. and altho I may be wrong.. if U had.. U would have most likely written a few expected negative paragraphs about already

I like Mercedes, doesn't mean I like all German cars by default. I like the interior of the A7 and A8, and I think BMW sedans for the most part have good ride and handling balance. That is all I like from either brand and I don't like Porsche, though I certainly can respect something like the 959.

I have not sat in a CT6, I was only able to look inside the car at the auto show. I have sat in the A8, it is impressive. When I get a chance to sit in a CT6 maybe I'll change my mind but I doubt it.

As far as the question of why people would buy a German POS as you call the A8, I am just saying it is a fast car. The A8 4.0 does 0-60 in about 4 seconds and gets 27 or 28 mpg highway. Those are impressive numbers.

Audi's do break down all the time though, I wouldn't buy one, but I can why people sit in it and read the spec sheet and then buy it.

I have not sat in a CT6, I was only able to look inside the car at the auto show. I have sat in the A8, it is impressive. When I get a chance to sit in a CT6 maybe I'll change my mind but I doubt it.

I doubt it too. In fact.. I'm pretty confident that Cadillac could secretly steal the S-Class interior out of the NEXT S-Class.. put it in the CT6 first.. and U'd call it inferior UNTIL.. U found out that it was originally the S-Class interior. Your bias is worst than mine, for reasons I can't fathom. 

Thing is that I've sat in.. driven and spent some time in the A8. It is an impressive interior.. but that doesn't make it anymore impressive than the CT6 Plat's interior outside of reviewers hate of CUE.. which after 1 month of dealing with.. I am lost as to what the issue was in the first place. It is fast. It is intuitive.. and touch screen in nothing but the norm at this point. Even people bitching about it not having knobs for  the Volume are just being automotive groupies. The slide feature is easy and simple if.. and only if.. U've managed to make it past second grade. 

Suaviloquent    713

Irreverence at this point is nonsensical. The Platinum interior is not at nice. Proof right here: MT's own Cadillac lover hated how the interior undelivered so much that he thought all of Cadillac's interior designers and material purchasers ought to be fired.

Look - I love the CT6. But the interior is what holds the CT6 back. It's the weakest link. And in these types of cars, the interior is more important than you think.

It's a comfortable interior. But the details are lacking. Many more plastic surfaces feel more like Chevy than Cadillac. and the leather just isn't that one step above I was expecting. There's gaudy combinations of wood trim and carbon fibre. And the Platinum is the only one worth even considering. Don't expect the $65k CT6 to have a flagship level interior. I came away thinking that perhaps the CTS might have equally as good an interior. And that's great for the CTS. Not so great for the CT6.

And I expect V8 models of the CT6 to cost about $100k. Many people buying cylinders and size who don't give a single damn about how a car drives (like how can anyone say an A8 and S-Class don't drive great) or how fast a car is on each of its available engines... they will only see the CT6 lacking the flagship interior and having its price advantage partially eroded away.

Irreverence at this point is nonsensical. The Platinum interior is not at nice. Proof right here: MT's own Cadillac lover hated how the interior undelivered so much that he thought all of Cadillac's interior designers and material purchasers ought to be fired.

Look - I love the CT6. But the interior is what holds the CT6 back. It's the weakest link. And in these types of cars, the interior is more important than you think.

It's a comfortable interior. But the details are lacking. Many more plastic surfaces feel more like Chevy than Cadillac. and the leather just isn't that one step above I was expecting. There's gaudy combinations of wood trim and carbon fibre. And the Platinum is the only one worth even considering. Don't expect the $65k CT6 to have a flagship level interior. I came away thinking that perhaps the CTS might have equally as good an interior. And that's great for the CTS. Not so great for the CT6.

And I expect V8 models of the CT6 to cost about $100k. Many people buying cylinders and size who don't give a single damn about how a car drives (like how can anyone say an A8 and S-Class don't drive great) or how fast a car is on each of its available engines... they will only see the CT6 lacking the flagship interior and having its price advantage partially eroded away.

My bad.. I thought we were talking about real life experience in the vehicles and not what some other guy told U to think. According to some on MT.. a PUSHROD is completely inferior to the DOHCs in the world.. but hey.

The CT6.. versus a regular A8, 740i, or S550 Interior is actually on par. The problem.. and on inferior situation I can think of is when U start moving up in the echelon of flagship interiors where they are offering more customization and such.. but then.. there is also a jump in price that the CT6 is not at yet. With the possible delay of the CT8... I expect that your issues with the car at THAT point should be shut down. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.